Some tips for a big deadlift (video)

Mini Forklift

I prefer to have a platform at most as high as the radius of these round weights so I can touch the bar as low as my toes for the fullest possible range of motion. Does anyone else do that? You know what I mean?

I know what you mean ~ they're called deficit deadlifts.

I don't have a platform so I use smaller plates to get the same effect (see video). Increases the range of motion.

Since you guys aren't taking your thighs to parallel, aren't you mostly working your back? That is part of the reason I have stuck to squats instead and with deadlifts I do stiff legged to really hit the hamstrings. I also have never been able to use the opposing grip. I have to do both hands pronated when I do deadlifts.

I also often feel I am too tall for deadlifts so I am always trying to find the biggest trap bar I can.

Since you guys aren't taking your thighs to parallel, aren't you mostly working your back? That is part of the reason I have stuck to squats instead and with deadlifts I do stiff legged to really hit the hamstrings. I also have never been able to use the opposing grip. I have to do both hands pronated when I do deadlifts.

Well deads do hit back & legs, but predominantly they are a back exercise.

Seeing as this is a thread about big deadlifts, here's an inspiring little clip of my new training partner...

Jamie King, 18yrs old and a lifelong vegetarian; pound for pound probably the strongest deadlifter I know and he has only been training just under a year using Wendlers 5/3/1 programme.

http://biggerstrongersmarter.wordpress.com/2012/02/24/roar-deadlifting/

He's the first one up in that clip, that's his final lift from a meet we both competed in last week. A comfortable 484lb deadlift at 147 bodyweight (3.288 x bw). I was sat off to the side when he pulled that and he I can tell you that he made it look easy. He told me he pulled 506 in training at the end of January, but he didn't want to attempt that weight as it was his first meet ?!

This kid has some crazy potential and I can't wait to start working with him as we both prepare for the 2012 Canterbury Champs. It will be his first full meet and I'll be back to defend my title from last year.

• 9 months later...
Forklift, how long and often do you usually work out?

Here's my new protocol which I will be running over 12 weeks for the buildup to my next meet. Starting sometime towards the beginning of January once I know what date the Canterbury Champs are ~ usually falls around mid April

MON: SQUATS

TUE: BENCH

WED: DL

THU: REST

FRI: LEGS w SQUAT VARIATION

SAT: CHEST w BENCH VARIATION

SUN: BACK w DL VARIATION

WEEK 1: SQUAT (ME) / BENCH (MEDIUM 80%) / DL (LIGHT 70%)

WEEK 2: BENCH (ME) / DL (MEDIUM 80%) / SQUAT (LIGHT 70%)

WEEK 3: DL (ME) / BENCH (LIGHT 70%) / SQUAT (MEDIUM 80%)

WEEK 4: Hypertrophy, as well as focus on ancillary moves/speed/technique

• 3 weeks later...
  • 9 months later...
  • 3 months later...