How do you continue to get stronger?

What do you do to continually improve your strength? Are there any tips or methods that have worked well for you? I'm interested to hear how some of you approach the task of consistently getting stronger, especially those of us that compete in the same weight class.

I'm sure that as we get older, more experienced and our strength is already pretty good there has to be something 'extra' that is needed in order for us to get more out of our lifts

Couple of things I'll throw in...

** Don't neglect training for reps. Think back to when you started out, how did you continually get stronger? Reps. You won't get stronger training off just single reps ~ you'll just get more efficient and confident under heavy weight. You wanna squat 405? Work up to handling 315 for reps. As powerlifters we spend enough time focusing on singles/doubles/triples, spending time in a higher rep range is only going to benefit them in the long term.

** Geared lifters should train raw after a meet. Let the body get used to handling the weight again without any equipment, take the weight down and bring your raw lifts up. Let the body get used to doing all the work for at least a month after a week before you go back to the suit, when you do put it back on you'll feel the strength difference. I know Brandon Lilly advocates putting the suit back on at week 5 and then again at week 8 where you can start using it as you normally would ~ makes sense to me.

I definitely back the training for reps. I've thrown in using explosive days for working on my form and getting out of the hole as fast as I can on my lifts, and in turn heavier weight doesn't struggle as much to get up off the ground or in the hole.

Eating clean I think is a big thing as well. Every time I mess up a meal on a gym day, I find my workout isn't as fast or good overall.

• 2 months later...
What do you do to continually improve your strength?

I add MORE weights every time I work out. I change up my routine every 3 months to keep from plateauing. I also train heavy (low reps) and light (high reps). I definitely agree with training for reps!

Consistency! Hit the gym as much as possible, pending your body feels recovered. Always try to lift more than you did the week before. Whether that comes in adding weight, reps or sets. Even if you can't push through it, you gotta struggle !!

Also, I notice that eating more frequently and getting on a better sleep pattern has really helped with motivating me in the gym

What do you do to continually improve your strength?

I add MORE weights every time I work out. I change up my routine every 3 months to keep from plateauing. I also train heavy (low reps) and light (high reps). I definitely agree with training for reps!

So do I, not training with reps is a mistake I believe a lot of PL'ers are guilty of.

Any of you have the cube ebook you'd be willing to send me? I'd love to try the program, 5/3/1 is cool but it's really simple and I'm kind of getting bored with it.

Man, start a journal on here when you switch over. I did the same thing as you. went from 5/3/1 to cube and I'm glad I tracked my progress. Its interesting to see the changes.

Keep things switched up! Also keeping a log of EVERYTHING is a huge help. Ever since I started working out I wrote everything down in a notebook...how reps felt, if something was difficult, if something felt off, etc. It kept me on top of everything and I could make sure that every day I would try to do a little better, even if it was just one or two extra reps, better form, an extra set, etc.

Above all, the mind controls pretty much everything. Strengthen your mind and you strengthen the body!

Keep things switched up! Also keeping a log of EVERYTHING is a huge help. Ever since I started working out I wrote everything down in a notebook...how reps felt, if something was difficult, if something felt off, etc. It kept me on top of everything and I could make sure that every day I would try to do a little better, even if it was just one or two extra reps, better form, an extra set, etc.

Above all, the mind controls pretty much everything. Strengthen your mind and you strengthen the body!

Great post

• 1 month later...

While I haven't done this yet following the Stronglifts program, I have read from other lifters to add a deload week into the routine. Hopefully someone has experience with this. I do deload if I am not able to do the 5x5, but I have not dedicated an entire week to it.

"I'm sure that as we get older, more experienced and our strength is already pretty good there has to be something 'extra' that is needed in order for us to get more out of our lifts…"

The main thing I think of under the heading of "getting older" is simply lack of time. From an unrelated thread, I'm now aware that Forklift is busy raising two kids.

I've never struggled with lack of motivation or lack of self-discipline --but lack of time has always been a huge problem, along with lack of access to equipment.

I can remember a period of my life in which I rode a bicycle 15 km each way, to and from the gym. Sounds like a great warm-up and cool-down, right? The problem is, simply: how many hours have you got in a day?

There was one guy who was something like a bodybuilder and/or olympic athlete who was at that same gym for extremely long hours, and his wife would bring his kid to visit him at the gym. At first, I thought that was really strange and inappropriate --but as I saw more of what the guy's schedule was, I realized that his kid probably didn't see him during daylight hours much, aside from those gym-visits.

Sadly (apropos the title of this thread) I really just expect to get weaker and weaker as the years go on --due to lack of time, and other sources of stress in my life. :-/

• 1 month later...

Hi ML,

Sorry i know this is an older post...

If there's one thing i learned from Mike Mentzer, it was about the issue of recovery. Mike made it very clear, the stronger you become, the greater the energy output, this means more recovery time is required.

The strongest i ever become was while using Mikes Consolidation Routine, i trained just once a week to begin with, as my strength increased, my frequency was decreased, eventually training once every 10 days. My strength went up in leaps and bounds like never before.

Mike told me he had some of his clients at Golds training just once every 2-3 weeks (these individuals were those who had reached the upper limits of their genetic potential or individuals that just didn't tolerate high intensity stress very well), this was how Mike kept these individuals getting stronger.

Best

Rob

Just saw this posted on Facebook and thought it was great

Best things I ever did for my squat:

-Always free squat

-Walk them out

-Stop using wraps

-Stop using belt

-Start doing reps

-Pause in the hole

Best things I ever did for my bench:

-Narrowed my grip