Vegan Bodybuilding & Fitness

Healthy Food Defines You
It is currently Tue Sep 30, 2014 11:06 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Soreness after workouts (DOMS)
PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 1:59 pm 
Rabbit

How much soreness do you all experience after workouts, and how long is the recovery time? Sometimes I am sore for days after a workout, especially if I go hard, and I don't know how to really alleviate it. Do I need to eat more? I feel like days I work out I eat a ton of food, but I am more sore than I have ever been. Or am I just being a baby about it? Any advice or stuff would be appreciated.

Post subject: Re: Soreness after workouts (DOMS)
PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 2:06 pm 
Elephant

hey mate, i trained real hard on monday still pretty sore today.......eaten loads, streched alot, slept well, done light cardio etc.......if you train intensely, its going to hurt for a while. i used to think protein was the answer but i barely eat any now and am no worse off, maybe even slightly better. i always try to get plenty of sugar in after a hard workout such as fruit, and fruit juices and that helps.

mike

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 3:00 pm 
Gorilla

I don't generally do a lot of volume, so that probably keeps me from getting sore, but I also think stretching and hydration are the key. I always make sure I'm well hydrated going into a workout, stretch dynamically while warming up before for about 5-10 minutes, lift heavy, then stretch statically after for another 5-10 minutes. It makes my workouts a bit longer than I like, but I think stretching is essential.

That's 200 solid ass-pounds! Good work buddy.
vegan_rossco, the ghost hunter wrote:
I can see how some people might mistake this as paranormal when really its just an example of your brain being an asshole

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 7:47 pm 
Gorilla

Stretching and a big warmup before your workout, followed by stretching and a foam roller. Should help a bit, DOMS is going to happen. I think its an indicator that you're working hard

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 8:27 pm 
Manatee

Is it true that some kind of stretching actually promotes muscle growth after workouts?

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 8:36 pm 
Gorilla

I'm not too sure, I now a solid warmup and stretching before get the muscles ready for weight thats about to be dropped on them and I've noticed a difference since starting a warmup and stretch before each workout

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 7:20 pm 
VBB Moderator Powerlifter & Ultrarunner

Lots of passive stretching during the workout, and if I'm training legs then an easy 5-10mins cardio straight afterwards helps to flush out lactic acid and reduce DOMS.

I'm lucky I don't get much in the way of muscle soreness, but if I feel tired I don't hesitate to take an extra rest day.

Image @MiniForklift
WEB: http://www.jimsty.wix.com/strength-vs-size
FB: http://www.facebook.com/pages/Mini-Forklift/161273440616736?ref=hl

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 1:04 pm 
Rabbit

Depends. I started up Brandon Lilly's Cube method recently so I am still adjusting to the volume, and of course feeling much more soreness than I usually would. It varies but usually every time I switch something up or add in more volume I get more sore.

I find that lots of fresh fruits and veggies help with DOMS. Also BCAA's, creatine, sleep, foam rolling, and stretching!!

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 2:03 pm 

Nice to see another 'Cuber' on here. Solid programme aye ?!

Image @MiniForklift

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 2:23 pm 
Manatee

What does it mean when you get sore not the next day but the following day after that (so you workout day 1, don't get sore the 2nd, and then get sore the 3rd)..? Is that normal?

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 2:52 pm 
Elephant

yeh its perfectly normal hence the name, Delayed Onset Muscle Soreness :D

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 7:50 pm 
Rabbit

Mini Forklift Ⓥ wrote:
Nice to see another 'Cuber' on here. Solid programme aye ?!

Very! Loving it so far. Planning to continue working with Brandon after it's finished.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2013 11:44 pm 
Rabbit

VeganJT666 wrote:
How much soreness do you all experience after workouts, and how long is the recovery time? Sometimes I am sore for days after a workout, especially if I go hard, and I don't know how to really alleviate it. Do I need to eat more? I feel like days I work out I eat a ton of food, but I am more sore than I have ever been. Or am I just being a baby about it? Any advice or stuff would be appreciated.

It used to be thought that speeding recovery and preventing DOMS was as simple as increasing protein, fats and carbohydrates intake. Now, however, its clear that while repairing structural damage to skeletal muscles by nutritional means is relatively simple, controlling or reducing the inflammatory response to exercise and preventing or reducing the painful symptoms that come with DOMS is more complicated.

Until recently, the only anti-DOMS recourse for athletes has been to use non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (NSAIDS) like ibuprofen. Unfortunately these over-the-counter pain killers stunt muscle growth2 and can damage the liver.

Despite the risk of side effects, the medical community has considered the safety/efficiency ratio satisfying enough to accept the administration of NSAIDs. With recent data however such a practice should be seriously scrutinized.

Using enzymes to combat DOMS is well established. A study by Innerfield in 1957 examined the anti-inflammatory effects of protease enzyme therapy and showed that protease enzyme supplementation may have anti-inflammatory effects.3 Unfortunately, absorption issues and the destruction of enzymes in the gut have severely limited the effectiveness of traditional anti-DOMS enzyme therapy.

Typically, the absorption rate of orally ingested enzymes is low - with protease enzymes absorption rates ranging between 40% for bromelain and greater for mixed protease products4, and a rate of about 5% absorption for orally ingested sitosterols.5

To solve these absorption difficulties, scientists added the ingredient piperine to enzyme mixtures. They found that piperine - an ingredient extracted from pepper - increased enzyme absorption by up to 60%!6,7

Source: http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/south127.htm

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2013 12:32 am 

Ice baths are painful but great to ease DOMS, when I was doing triathlon we often headed back out to stand in the sea after a race.

Thanks for that info on enzymes Boodie.

Image @MiniForklift

PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2013 12:07 pm 
Manatee

Is it better to have longer DOMS or shorter DOMS?