Tips & tricks

Diet is often not given enough importance, don't be afraid to keep the protein on the high side. I'd personally be advising to start at 1.5g per 1lb and take it from there. Logic would dictate that the more active you are then the more protein is going to be required; on a base level the protein will simply be used to fascilitate muscular recovery, preventing muscle/bone loss and providing your body with what it needs to either maintain or build muscle, depending on your activity type and the intensity level.

For strength training athletes I would be looking at at least double that, so 1g/lb bodyweight and upwards. The reason I am suggesting one gram/lb bodyweight and upwards is that people that train with weights are definately going to working at least twice as hard as the sedentary person (bit of a no-brainer there), so 1g would really be just a starting point. As you increase the protein markedly past this point, there has to be some optimal point where muscle building can occur ~ the ideal combination of training stimuli and protein intake/utilisation in the body. I'd have to look at the data for this, but I would say it's impossible to set a definative number as everybody is different, both with their muscular response to training, diet and how well their digestive system is functioning. Then of course you have the different types of protein, the main two being animal and plant... there are a lot of variables to factor in.

So for a reasonably experienced lifter that's why I would probably start around the 1.5g/lb bodyweight mark and take it from there depending on their initial response to that amount.

Probably an obvious one, but rolling a loaded bar up onto a small 2.5lb plate on one side will raise that one side off the ground so you can easily pull the plates off/put them on rather than struggling with them. Once you have done that side you can just upright the bar so it's vertical. Lift it upwards out of the remaining plates and you're done.

I see guys wasting energy trying to wriggle each plate off/on, this makes it a whole lot easier.