My lifts have stalled.

VeganJT666

I feel like my lifts have stalled; I don't believe I'm getting stronger anymore. Anyone have any tips and tricks to get around this? I've almost completed my 4th cycle of 5/3/1, should I try switching up my workout? I'm thinking about going to a different split for a month, and then start another 5/3/1 cycle. Thoughts?

Trying to get the powerlifting talk going again, this part of the board has been silent.

I had a similar problem when I ran 5/3/1 as well. I couldn't get past the 300 squat mark and everything didn't fall into place.

I swtiched it up and started the cube method for a little over two months. I found the variety of repetition focused days with heavy and explosive days helped me with a lot of things (Squatting below depth, better form, more power, especially in the hole).

My advice is to run things until they stop working for you and try and find a routine that works well. Run the cube, see how your lifts go (Keep in mind you only go for a 1RM when you know you can hit it perfectly) and see where it goes. If you're still stuck, there are still a tun of routines out there. (http://www.joeskopec.com/) That site has calculators for almost every routine out there right now, including a lot of the russion high volume ones.

I agree with james - try to switch it up and see what happens. I didn't stall on 5/3/1, but the progress wasn't as fast as I felt capable of at the time so I switched to a 3-month cycle of MadCow/Bill Starr 5x5. I'm not able to progress every week on each lift anymore, but can still progress every 2 weeks or so on most of them.

Have you been tracking your weight? Maybe you need to put on a bit more muscle weight?

Trying to get the powerlifting talk going again, this part of the board has been silent.

That's because this section is pretty new, I managed to create it a month back or so. Hopefully as more members come in here it will gain some traction !!

I assume from running 5/3/1 you deload when you are meant to? Sounds like it could be time for a mix up/change of programme ~ how do you feel in yourself? Are you tired or a little unmotivated to hit the gym, or is that side of things fine?

Asparagus: I've been gaining weight, albeit it is slow, as I ride my bike everywhere. I'm 5'7 165, up from 140 when I started trying to gain weight (beginning of 2012). I don't know if that is enough, or how quick I should be gaining weight, but I feel that is solid progress.

JamesXVX: Thanks for that website! a lot of interesting workouts, definitely going to try something new once I complete this cycle.

Mini Forklift: I do deload when I'm meant to, and I was thinking the same thing. I've been looking at other programs, but at the very least I'll be changing my assistance exercises for the next cycle. I don't feel unmotivated, if anything I feel more motivated because it's getting nice outside again and I don't have to wear a million layers to bike hahaha.

I stalled hard on 5/3/1 - after three flat cycles with no gains I moved to a 5x5 (Faleev) and added olympic lifts to my ancillaries. Started seeing gains in the first month. I took a lot of the "information" I got from Tate and EFS and tossed it. His advise on diet, equipment, supplements, and program are all driven by what he sells. More power to him for running a successful business, but that doesn't help my lifts. 5/3/1 is OK if you have nothing else to work with, but very simple sets of the core movements with reasonable progression and deloading seem to be more effective for me. It was said somewhere and I firmly believe it: "To make it effective keep it simple. To make it profitable make it complex." Also, Tate and his crew regularily mock vegetarians and vegans - so no thanks to fueling that machine.

In summary, and back on point, use what works until it doesn't and try something new. Also, don't be afraid to take an extended deload period and see what happens. I had to take a month off to rehab an injury last year and the following three months were my best gains of the year. Sometimes you just need to let the body heal.

In summary, and back on point, use what works until it doesn't and try something new. Also, don't be afraid to take an extended deload period and see what happens. I had to take a month off to rehab an injury last year and the following three months were my best gains of the year. Sometimes you just need to let the body heal.

Welcome to the forum, nice to have another PL'er on here

• 2 years later...
  • 5 months later...