Powerlifting on consecutive days

vegan_rossco

To the point: I have trained 2 days in a row so far and want to train today as well as next week is too busy to get much in. Is this stupid? Bare in mind I'm on 5/3/1 have squatted Thursday, mili press fri, and would be deadlifting today.

Thoughts? Opinions?

I'm under the impression this could be overtraining but as I'm on my first mesocycle it won't be overly heavy and taxing. Thanks in advance

Nah, not stupid unless maybe you're crazy sore/under-recovered and you plan on going super hard on the deadlifts today. Sometimes you gotta do what you gotta do when the rest of life is getting in the way. You won't be able to come close to overtraining unless you start training multiple times per day (or just one really intense, hardest-workout-of-your-life type session), multiple consecutive days per week for weeks at a time.

Hi Ross,

If your not training to failure, you could certainly get away with training 3x per week, as right now it sounds like your still developing skill / intra-muscular coordination. That being said, as you grow progressively stronger, you will need longer recovery periods, if you don't, you'll see your numbers grind to a halt. But If you properly regulate your intensity, volume and frequency accordingly , you could in fact reach your full genetic potential in as little as one to two years.

"Strength is finite, it doesn't take long to reach the upper limits of your abilities" This was told to me by a former british powerlifting champ, here he is at bodyweight of 74kgs Deadlifting over 600lbs

That was 20 years ago, he now focuses on bodybuilding (trains in his very well equipped garden shed), thought recently he's started power training again. He keeps a training log on the Dr Darden HIT forum, heres the link...http://www.drdarden.com/readTopic.do?id=550337&pageNo=61#bottom

I've spoken with him on many occasion on another HIT forum, extremely knowledgeable, experienced, and helpful individual, learned a lot from him.

Nah, not stupid unless maybe you're crazy sore/under-recovered and you plan on going super hard on the deadlifts today. Sometimes you gotta do what you gotta do when the rest of life is getting in the way. You won't be able to come close to overtraining unless you start training multiple times per day (or just one really intense, hardest-workout-of-your-life type session), multiple consecutive days per week for weeks at a time.

In terms of PL'ing training, I would go along with what is written above. You should be fine Ross, just eat well around your training and get plenty of sleep to back up the training.

I personally got great strength gains on a 4 day a week PL'ing training cycle and brought my DL up from 308 to 418 whilst staying around 140lb bodyweight.

Four days in a row might be pushing your CNS if you're doing it on a regular basis, 2-3 and you could probably get away with it. The Cube Method basically allows you to structure your training however you want; if you are training 3 or 4 days a week then however you group those sessions you still get the same amount of rest days over a week. That's coming from Brandon Lilly and he's pretty much an authority in PL'ing.