Vegan Bodybuilding & Fitness

Healthy Food Defines You
It is currently Tue Sep 02, 2014 4:15 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2007 8:44 am 
Rabbit

Awesome advice on the running, thanks! I'm lucky to run on dirt roads, often seeing deer and turkey and little traffic :D

Aqua jogging sounds great too! There is a really shallow lake nearby...how deep in the water do you go in order to jog like that?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2007 10:53 am 
Stegosaurus

NikkiNik wrote:
Awesome advice on the running, thanks! I'm lucky to run on dirt roads, often seeing deer and turkey and little traffic :D

Aqua jogging sounds great too! There is a really shallow lake nearby...how deep in the water do you go in order to jog like that?

Thanks Niki. Although I never tried aqua jogging in the lake.. I've only tried it in the pool. They usually supply a floater that you strap around your waist. And you just jog around the deep end of the pool.
If you a little more advanced you can run without the floater.
Best of luck to your racing season Niki :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2007 5:04 pm 
I've seen both running on the ground in water and running where you can't touch bottom. In college we did all our running drills in the lap pool so we could touch ground. The distance runners and injured sprinters would also use aqua joggers in the super deep diving pool.

Post subject: Ran 8 miles yesterday!
PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2007 9:27 am 
Rabbit

Training for the half-marathon is going well, I feel great, my runs are strong and I am doing a hardy amount of weight work/crunches/lunges.

I met a personal trainer who is really going above and beyond in helping me. She invited me to join the local triathalon group. It is nice to have the support, strange to watch them eat sausage and eggs for brunch but I'll bring something delicious to share next weekend.

I also want to share some Vega samples because I am really hooked on the stuff. A couple people use whey shakes and complain that they aren't easy to digest.

I just have to figure out how to order since I got all mine from a friend in Toronto. I'll look around the site but let me know if you have any hot tips!

I love running so much, and I've always loved biking, I'm going to get a one piece swimsuit and figure out how to swim laps. Hmmm....who knows what I'll be training for next!

Post subject: Ran 8 miles yesterday!
PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2007 9:28 am 
Rabbit

Training for the half-marathon is going well, I feel great, my runs are strong and I am doing a hardy amount of weight work/crunches/lunges.

I met a personal trainer who is really going above and beyond in helping me. She invited me to join the local triathalon group. It is nice to have the support, strange to watch them eat sausage and eggs for brunch but I'll bring something delicious to share next weekend.

I also want to share some Vega samples because I am really hooked on the stuff. A couple people use whey shakes and complain that they aren't easy to digest.

I just have to figure out how to order since I got all mine from a friend in Toronto. I'll look around the site but let me know if you have any hot tips!

I love running so much, and I've always loved biking, I'm going to get a one piece swimsuit and figure out how to swim laps. Hmmm....who knows what I'll be training for next!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2007 10:12 am 
Rabbit

Hi NikkiNik!
Fellow runner here! Good Luck with your half! I'm running a half this weekend. Are you following any particular training schedule? You really only need to run one long run a week. The others can still be 3-5 miles or so. It's good you found a group to train with. Sounds like you will be traing for a tri in no time!

Just wanted to let you know, Robert has a "who takes vega?" thread in The Supplements section. It includes a link to a good websit eot order vega from and if you let Robert know when you order, he will send you some freebies!!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2007 10:12 am 
Rabbit

Hi NikkiNik!
Fellow runner here! Good Luck with your half! I'm running a half this weekend. Are you following any particular training schedule? You really only need to run one long run a week. The others can still be 3-5 miles or so. It's good you found a group to train with. Sounds like you will be traing for a tri in no time!

Just wanted to let you know, Robert has a "who takes vega?" thread in The Supplements section. It includes a link to a good websit eot order vega from and if you let Robert know when you order, he will send you some freebies!!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2007 10:13 am 
Rabbit

Hi NikkiNik!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2007 10:19 am 
Rabbit

lisaanddini wrote:
You really only need to run one long run a week. The others can still be 3-5 miles or so. It's good you found a group to train with. Sounds like you will be traing for a tri in no time!

I was pleased to find that 3-5 mile runs with one long run a week will do! Thanks for the Vega tips too!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2007 10:32 am 
Rabbit

What do you currently run per week? When is the Half? Do you have a time goal? I'm not the best runner, but I've read up on training schedules alot.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2007 10:47 am 
Rabbit

Each week I am aiming for two fives, one intense three, and one long one (8+). I do weights/crunches/lunges and hike or bike on the days I don't run.

I don't have a time goal since I going to be running beside my friend and all we want to do is finish.

When I ran my 8 mile this weekend I was at a 9:30 minute mile and it was a comfortable pace.

Any resources you have, I am open to! I am just getting started so with this race I'm not thinking competitively, I just want to feel it out and finish.

The Louisville Marathon is October 21 and I am considering running another half in Grand Rapids, MI on the 28th. Does that sound too intense? It seems like it would just be like running my normal long run...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2007 2:34 pm 
If you felt like you had more after running the 9:30 pace for 8 miles go for it. Maybe try a lighter 10minute pace or start out at 10:30 and decide if you feel good enough to pick it up a little at the halfway point of the race.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2007 2:45 pm 
Rabbit

WOW!!! I'm sorry I didn't read your entire blog before replying. I read your first page talking baout getting ready for a 5k, then your last page about training for a half. What an improvement you have made!!! You should really feel good about yourself. It sounds like you will be plenty prepared!!! If you work your 8 mile long run up to 12 and run the half at a pace that is comfortable to you, you will be fine. Have fun with it!!! Same thing with running halfs two weeks in a row. It's not something most people would do and certainly not something that I would recommend if you were trying to run both of them as fast as possible, but you should be able to do it!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2007 11:24 am 
Elephant

Hey Nikki, you and I are in about the same place. I did my first 5k at the beginning of July (my pb is 25:30ish I think), and now I'm training for a half marathon, which is this coming weekend! I just started running in May. I'm aiming for 1h 55 minutes at my half marathon for this time, but have some loftier goals for next year. I plan to hire a trainer, now that I no longer have a coach. :)