New to the forum

Aaron

I'd rather be at the gym at this exact moment but I need one more day to recover. I've been vegan for 4-5 years. Used to be 238 or so and 36" waist. I went vegan and that peeled some weight off then started getting serious about being active and that dropped me down to about 168. I'm now up to about 185 and have kept a 30" waist or so with 14% bodyfat.

I lift 2x a week, play soccer, football, dodgeball, and try to run sometimes.

I'm 25 and working on a masters degree in education so I can teach social studies.

Will turned me on to this forum. I think it'll be good for me to have some inspiration since I'm changing gyms tomorrow. My old one close up shop on friday.

I've got poor gym habits but I'm regular. I don't keep a card with weights. I don't really track weights or reps well. I think it's more about just being sure to get in and push some heavy weight around for me. Monday or Tuesday and Friday are my lift days. I tend to go late in the evening so I don't have to share equipment. I used to work at a YMCA through high school and I developed a habit of working out after hours with the gym to myself... never really shook it.

Being vegan and being active are two of the best parts of my life. Or best decisions I've made. Or something to that extent.

My most immediate lifting goal is finding a way to get my recovery time down so I can lift 3x a week instead of 2. I love lifting

-Aaron

Welcome to the group Aaron!

Great to have you here, and cool that Will sent you over

Also cool to have another member from Oregon We're competing with Texas for the state with the most forum users.

Awesome to hear the results you've made with your vegan athletic lifestyle.

Topher and I have planned for months to eventually move to Portland too.

I'm not sure when that will be, and Topher may even make it out there before me, but sometime in 2006 I'll end up in Portland too. I was there today actually, visiting with my sister and brother-in-law. I'm in Corvallis living with fellow vegans Megan and Topher.

Again, welcome to the TEAM!

-Robert

Thanks Rob and Will

Will, like I said my gym closed, which sucks because I totally could've hooked all you guys up and the equipment was primo.... everything brand new top of the line... but they went belly up from mismanagement...

It does provide a great opportunity for me to check out my university gym. They've got the basics and it's free for me so I think I'm going to try to hold out there as long as I can. I just wish it had windows

I've actually got this secret fantasy of opening a gym of my own sometime. No supplement pushing contract forcing 24 hour style thing but more like a credit union or food co-op but with equipment. I think I need to finish my masters program and probably save up a little money before I start looking at that seriously though

Heh. A vegan fitness squad. That'd be sweet.

I've actually got this secret fantasy of opening a gym of my own sometime. No supplement pushing contract forcing 24 hour style thing but more like a credit union or food co-op but with equipment. I think I need to finish my masters program and probably save up a little money before I start looking at that seriously though

I'd be up for helping out with a co-op style fitness center

So I've had two workouts at the new gym. Everything is pretty good with the exception of the pullup bar. Slick, slick, slick. Well and the mirrors are too high for a bent row but I've worked without mirrors before... Or I'll grab an aerobics step...

The pull up bar is my main concern now though. It's seen way too much use. I'm getting a great workout on my fingers and forearms trying to grip the thing but not much lat action.

Anyone have any thoughts on manipulations to the setup? A glove suggestion maybe? I'm thinking about trying to grab an attachment off the cable machine that's used for rows and using that... Or maybe the tricep extension rope... if I throw those over the bar?

Thanks for the welcome everyone