Bulking and Cutting

Daywalker

• 2 months later...
  • Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 7 months later...
that's fat grams... as in the kind of fat you ate. but there are fat cells which are like bone cells or any other cell that is a living part of your body. apparently people don't actually lose these cells, they just shrink down really small.

"Fat cells are formed in the developing fetus during the third trimester of pregnancy, and later at the onset of puberty, when the sex hormones "kick in." It is during puberty that the differences in fat distribution between men and women begin to take form. One amazing fact is that fat cells do not multiply after puberty -- as your body stores more fat, the number of fat cells remains the same. Each fat cell simply gets bigger!

...It is important to note that as your body stores more fat, the number of fat cells remains the same; each fat cell simply gets bigger."

I know this is an old post, but I wanted to correct this. Your life-long # fat cells is not constant after you hit puberty or anything like that. Fat cells have a half-life of about 12 years, meaning that over the course of 12 years, half the fat cells you had in your body are now dead, and new ones are created according to demand. Generally speaking, yes - fat cells just fill up or empty as you gain/lose weight. HOWEVER, if they fill up to a certain point, they are triggered to divide (multiply). You couldn't gain 200 lbs of fat just by filling your existing fat cells. And once you've created that fresh batch of fat cells, it'll take a long time for them to reduce in number even if you drop your weight (remember that 12-year half-life) - at that point, they're just emptying.

So that guy mentioned earlier who has a 10-pack but used to be a fat kid...he wasn't stuck with those fat cells for life. But, should he pig out, he would produce more again (as anyone would). Your number of fat cells is very slow to change if you're losing fat, but they can multiply quickly if you're gaining massive amounts of weight (and you're stuck with those extra cells for a long time, even if you empty them out).

• 3 weeks later...

How exactly do you know how many calories will be enough to burn fat but not send your body into catabolic mode?? The reason i asked is because it happened to me some time ago i started losing weight, and losing more and more until i was too skinny and my BMR just plunged down. I got to the point of not etaing more than 1000 calories a day and exercising 3 hours, so it was basically anorexia. Now i am eating a lotttt more but i have gained weight because my body is not used to having so much energy, so i would like to know what would be a good amount to not burn off all the muscle like i did before but not gain/lose the little fat i have gained and not be hungry all the time

for example yesterday i did about 40 minutes of jumprope in several spurts as fast as i could, doing different moves, double-unders and HIIT and a mile jog back to my house. Then in the afternoon i did about 2 hours of really hard calisthenics which were:

Warm-up (about 10 minutes of pull-ups/push ups)

Pulling

3x13 back pull-ups

3x12 sets of wide

3x12 regular pull-ups

3x10 pull-ups with hands together

Pushing

2x25 really wide push-ups

2x25 regular push-ups

2x25 Diamond push-ups

All of these are done with very strict form or they don't count and only about 1:30-2:00 minutes rests between sets and after i rode my bike to a friend's house about 2 miles roundtrip. I am 18 5'6 and weight 150

• 3 weeks later...

@the monkey, if you are not in serious sports competition; i.e. junior nationals, worlds, junior olympics, amateur or near professional level, etc... then just take it easy.

I doubt you maintain quality at perfect-competitive level on what you are doing, because it is too much exercise. Quality and not quantity.

For your age, focus on creating healthy habits that will remain during your lifestyle. It is great that you have so much knowledge on nutrition at your age and that is actually taking on action. However, do not take it so serious. Habits, take them very serious.

Energy renewal is also a skill. It will help you even when you have a job and a family, etc... and you will become more productive in all areas. Ask the most brilliant student in your class if he recommends you to study all day or rather little but intensively.

Anyways, I am just 24 about your size and weight. Excuse me for the granpa talk I gave you. Focus on the important things now (healthy habits) and let the strict behavior for when it really matters.

luck

• 5 months later...
see blue.

- I recommend to do that in the morning, just after getting up.

100% agree with you again. In other words, cardio is NOT for pussies as some people seem to think. It is a vital part of any "getting cut" program. Also, doing cardio on an empty stomach first thing in the morning, like you suggest, I find works best. Waiting about 30-45 minutes or so after your workout to have your post-workout meal/supplement also is very effective based on my own personal experience and things I have read.

Important is that you don’t do the weights and the cardio in one session! Never! If you don’t have enough time for both, then choose one.

Hmm.... there seems to be an inconsistency in this statement above so maybe there is a typo? Anyway, I dont agree that you should "never" do cardio and weights on the same day. IN fact, I think that a good weight lifting FOLLOWED BY a good 20 minute cardio session is very effective in losing fat and retaining lean muscle. The trick, in my opinion, is not to avoid cardio and weights in the same workout, but rather make sure you arent in the gym for too long. In my opinion, excessively long workouts (whether all cardio, all weights, or both) are the problem - i.e. counterproductive to the goal of losing weight and retaining lean muscle.

And if one does do cardio and weights in the same workout, always do weights first, and your cardio session after the weights.

Yeah, I definitely have to agree with you on that one. I tried working out less often as I was trying out the HIT system, but my body started changing of that into a "strongman" and NOT of an asthetically pleasing, lean body builder! I was algo getting fatter despite suffering like hell after a workout AND eating a good diet! So then I tried long cardio workouts, with 30 seconds high intensity and 1 min low intensity.. that didn't work either, nothing changed! So then I tried the traditional method of deviding the body into muscle groups and doing 3 sets of each exercise, low reps to failure, drop sets etc, and that was slightly better but still not what i wanted, I still had too much body fat!!!(I think I should go easy on the nuts from now on). And all that time suffering so much from muscle pain!! Sometimes I couldn't even sleeeeep because however I lay, it ached like hell, and NO-ONE could touch me! !! So now, I'm working out with moderate weights, as often as I can, but for no more that 40 min a day. I'm using quite high intensity but dont work to failure because if I work to failure, the long recovery time doesnt allow me to work out often. I think working out often is the key to loosing weight and building muscle because i seem to be doing both at once with my present routine Also, something else about working out, if you are a complete addict like me, HIT and other methods which don't allow you to work out very often will kill you! What wouldl you do if you could only go to the gym twice a week??¿?¿? Ufff!!! These short intense workouts are much more "mentally" satisfying and help keep you sane as well as being effective.

• 3 weeks later...

I'd like to understand the cardio weight thing a bit more. I do P90X and the weight programs are pretty good cardio workouts. Is this preventing me from losing fat? I have hit a plateau for the last month or so. I don't seem to be losing much more fat despite continuing with the program and eating a mostly raw, low fat diet of around 2500 calories. I weigh 165 at present. Fitday says I should consume around 2800 calories for my lifestyle, then I burn an extra 500 or so working out, so I figure I am deficient around 800 calories a day. I do take one day a week and eat around 4000 calories.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...
  • 5 months later...

20min race after the workout three times a week, for those who do not have time to go to the gym twice, you will not lead to overtraining, on the contrary

if they make a run / walk at moderate speed, not to spend 70% of the pulse is better they do, they have spent the sugars with the weight and now it's easier to burn fat. it can not do marathons or spend 70% of heart rate, then it's easier to enter overtraining and losing lean body mass.

• 2 weeks later...

bulking new vegan here!

what do you think about eating mounds of basmati rice / whole wheat pasta / potatoes as carb sources on a vegan bodybuilding diet ?

will this hinder anything ?

ive just converted to 100% vegan the last 3 weeks and have completely cut out eggs and dairy. i try to consume all my carbs before 7pm.

any insight ?

• 1 year later...
bulking new vegan here!

what do you think about eating mounds of basmati rice / whole wheat pasta / potatoes as carb sources on a vegan bodybuilding diet ?

will this hinder anything ?

ive just converted to 100% vegan the last 3 weeks and have completely cut out eggs and dairy. i try to consume all my carbs before 7pm.

any insight ?

1.) Carbs are carbs, calorie-wise, so eat mounds of whatever carbs you prefer to hit your macronutrient needs if you're bulking. That said, some foods are more nutrient dense than others and that's why some people favor them more.

2.) Carb/calorie timing really doesn't matter because calories don't just "turn to fat" once you start sleeping so eat whenever you like.

1.) Carbs are carbs, calorie-wise, so eat mounds of whatever carbs you prefer to hit your macronutrient needs if you're bulking. That said, some foods are more nutrient dense than others and that's why some people favor them more.

2.) Carb/calorie timing really doesn't matter because calories don't just "turn to fat" once you start sleeping so eat whenever you like.

Right on the money there!

I am curious why cardio and weight training together is bad. I like to do weight training in such a way that I get a cardio workout at the same time.

If your goal is to gain muscle mass, adding in cardio means you're burning more calories and, therefore, do not have as many to build muscle from. If your goal is to lose weight while retaining muscle mass and you're eating a caloric deficit, you need to make sure you're getting enough protein in while also lifting heavy and not going so far into a caloric deficit that you're losing a substantial amount of muscle.

• 1 month later...
  • 6 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I am surprised no one here mentions anything about the reps you do during a workout. It makes a massive difference, no pun intended!

Bulking:

Low reps high weight (5-8, max of 10) with plenty of rest in between sets will lead to massive bulking, especially if you hit back and legs. That comes at the cost of being cut. The low reps increase testosterone release. Good to do cardio at the same time because it's easy to gain too much weight in this phase. The body will insist on putting on more fat weight, and if you starve yourself, it won't put on muscle.

To cut, you lower the amount of weights, and you bump reps from 5-10 to 15-20, and as little rest as possible in between sets, keeping your heart rate up. The failure here feels totally different - it's a complete burn feeling, whereas failure in bulking doesn't burn, the muscle just stops working. And don't do cardio the same day because it's a recipe for over-training. This type of workout kicks HGH into high gear, i.e. human growth hormone, and this is the ticket to get ripped. Your metabolism goes way up, and with it, you may also have reduced appetite - not eating enough will also put you on the edge of over-training. You really need to monitor the resting lying down/standing pulse ratio, because over-training means an overload of cortisol, which means fat retention.

If you alternate between these two modes in small intervals, you'll actually gain better and leaner overall. So 2-3 weeks bulking, 1-2 weeks cutting.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

how many or for how long?

I am still confused over my cardio needs. I'm working out twice a week and told to powerwalk cardio everyday (heart rate 130bpm), but it doesnt seem to be working. current bf is 14%, trying to get down to 10%. Can someone suggest an alternative? Thanks

• 1 month later...
how many or for how long?

I am still confused over my cardio needs. I'm working out twice a week and told to powerwalk cardio everyday (heart rate 130bpm), but it doesnt seem to be working. current bf is 14%, trying to get down to 10%. Can someone suggest an alternative? Thanks

Are you using a heart rate monitor to check?

Some say that it really helps to have an accurate one, never tried myself though.