Help Gaining Weight

I guess you could call me an ectomorph. I've been skinny all my life and any attempts to gain weight have proved to be meager. I've stopped exercising because it's become too much effort for too little results and I've since lost 5-7lbs which I'm okay with.

But I'd like to gain 20 more. I'm trying to eat protein rich foods to help and though I make the effort sometimes there's just not enough time in the day or the cost of food hinders my options. I'm also not one to take supplements or drink shakes nor do I like tofu or soy.

Once I start gaining weight I'll exercise again.

Is there hope in spite of my stubbornness or am I doomed to stay slender?

Hi.

I'm a typical ectomorph, too.

Two suggestions:

- Don't eat too high protein, especially when not working out. If you want to gain, eat as much as you comfortably can and concentrate on carbohydrates, but don't be afraid of fats, too.

- Work out now. It makes no sense to wait until you're heavier. Start with light weights. For us ectos, it's important to keep the volume moderate and the intensity high.

And search the forum, there are tons of tips on workout and nutrition here.

Good luck and fun on your quest

Peanuts (not peeled and salted) are not expensive.

Oats are great. Fruit for in between.

I like corn chips when bulking.

When eating sweets, combine with fibre and complex carbs, for instance dark chocolate with whole bread.

And self made cakes. You can use only little sugar, whole flour, and put all the good stuuf in them.... bananas, veggie oil, coconut flakes, oats, nuts.... experiment.

Now i'm hungry, thanks (actually, i'm hungry all the time, so nevermind )

I was a typical ecto when I ate meat, and since becoming a vegan am now classified as a Meso(and here I was thinking that no-one coud even label me or put me in a box). You just tend to consume a lot more carbs being a vegan, and as much as people like to argue carbs DO put on fat (or muscle) but you also need protein, and to combine foods properly to have essential amino acids which are the building blocks for muscle (and most of the bodies functions). You're only doomed if you choose to be. What we think we become! You don't need to supplement. Educate yourself. Find out how to combine foods to "supplement" your diet to enable maximum growth, and build muscle by doing weights. If you stop exercising then your muscle is going to eventaully decrease in size, you will look even leaner due to loss of muscularity. If you're happy with yourself the way you are then do nothing, just be! After all, character is not visible in the mirror!

Regards

Charmaine

I'm going back into my box for the next month or so now, I've had my say and my new bodybuilding mag is awaiting my appraisal(I just have to rip it out from under my hubby who's in a heavy state of sleep,and probably drooling on it we speak.)