Will's Log

Wed Oct 12

Did a bunch of incline situps with the 16lb bowling ball behind my head. I didn't count how many because I was watching the Daily Show while I did them.

I also decided I don't need to set aside a whole day just for situps. So I'm going to alter my routine again to look like this:

Day 1 - pullups / chin-ups

Day 2 - one leg squats / one leg calf raises / running

Day 3 - wrist roller / hand gripper

Day 4 - pushups

And I'm going to do 50 incline situps w/ bowling ball and 50 twisting situps with bowling ball before I go to sleep everynight

• Replies 155
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sat Oct 15

wrist roller and hand gripper work til my forearms were fried

50 incline situps

Also, I built a new wrist roller. I've been experimenting with different designs, and I really like this one better than any other roller I've tried. So I'm going to build a few more of them and try selling them on eBay or on a website.

Tuesday - rested. I think my 7 day a week workouts have been catching up with me, and I need a little rest. Especially after a 1000 pushup day.

Wednesday - I tried doing a pullup, and couldn't! I think my arms are friend from doing 50 pullups and 90 chinups in one day a few days earlier. So I took another rest day.

Thursday (today) - I did a few chinups this morning, but still felt weak on them. I didn't want rest three days in a row, so I've been working on one-leg squats today. I've been doing them on an 8" surface - which is much harder than the 12" surface. I plan to go running tonight after I'm done with them. I'll post my results tomorrow, and then try again for a pullup / chinup day - I think my biceps and back have had enough rest now!

Since I'll be losing my law school scholarship at the end of this semester, and because this semester ends in early December, we were planning on moving to Portland in mid December. We wanted to move there because we like the people, political inclinations, and climate of the region. However, it now looks like we are going to have to put off those moving plans - the short reason why is financial and educational reasons. If you want to know the longer reason why, keep reading. ... So me and my wife were preparing to go up there: I have been looking for and applying for all sorts of jobs in Portland, and my wife has been contacting all sorts of landlords and trying to workout a place for us to live. My wife also wants to finish her degree in elementary education, and we were researching that too. If we move to Oregon, she would have to wait a year to continue her coursework (because we can't afford out of state tuition), then after waiting a year she would lose a semester or two worth of courses due to transferring from a Florida program to an Oregon program - so in total, it would take her another 3 to 4 years to complete her degree. If we stay in Florida, she can go to college for free (because she gets state grant money to cover her in-state tuition and book fees), and it will only take her about 1.5 to 2 years to finish. Also, it's easier for me to get a job here since I graduated from a Florida public university, and because my last job was in a Florida public university: I know the system well, have references and connections within it, and should be able to get a university job without much of a problem. Also, I can work on a graduate degree here, where I can go to school for practically free. Whereas in Oregon I would have to wait at least a year. My wife thinks we should wait a couple of years before we move up there, and spend the time planning it out better; which makes sense to me. So that's what we're planning to do now. We might be cursing ourselves next year for deciding this, after we've been through another one of Florida's 9 month long summers of sweltering, muggy heat. But since we have a son now and have to make the responsible decision, I think this is the best thing to do.

Where in Germany are you from? Ancestors of my maternal grandfather are from Freiburg (and my mom's maiden name was the Americanized version, "Fray"). I've wanted to travel out there for a long time. I heard Freiburg won some sort of award for being one of the most environmentally friendly cities in Europe.

Hurricane Wilma is supposed to pass by here on Monday. I'm excited because I like stormy weather. All the rain the hurricane brings is good for the environment in Florida because the overdevelopment of the past few decades has really depleted the underground limestone aquifers. Plus we'll get a nice cool breeze (NWS predicts a north northwest wind 48 to 51 mph, and the high temperature will drop to around 75*). See: http://www.srh.noaa.gov/ifps/MapClick.php?MapType=3&site=mlb&CiTemplate=1&map.x=24&map.y=186

Sun Oct 23

I tried one arm pushups and really struggled with them, so I ended up doing easier ones resting on my knees rather than on my toes/feet. These are still a lot more challenging than normal two arm pushups, so I got a good workout.

200 one arm pushups from knees (100 on each arm, alternated arms between each rep, and did them in sets of around 15-25 at a time).

500 bodyweight two leg calf raises

Mon Oct 24

wrist roller and hand gripper work - the hand grippers are getting too easy for me. I did 1000+ total reps on them. It's time to move up to grippers with greater tension. On the wrist roller I did a dozen or so sets with my door gym as resistance using 3 cables (4 is the max, and you increase resistance by hooking the hand gripper to more cables). 3 cables is still challenging for me, so this piece of equipment should keep me occupied for a while

50 twisting situps with bowling ball

Tues Oct 25

I did 100 one leg squats on 8" surface (200 total, 100 on each leg). I alternated legs between each rep and did them in sets of 10 (5 per leg). My ankle stabilizers have gotten stronger, probably due to muscle memory, and it's getting much easier to balance while doing positives. In another week or two I hope to be able to do one leg squats all the way down, with nothing to lean/balance on, and no surface/box to assist at the bottom.

--------------

Here are some visuals:

I'm basically here now (imagine an 8" box instead of a stair)

http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/inmag17c.jpg

And in two weeks I hope to be here

http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/inmag17e.jpg

Images from - http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/mahler2.htm - which is a great article, and it got me started doing one leg squats with much better form