VEGAN TIRAMISU

Patrick

Copied this from a blog. I like that he said he tried different versions until he came up with something good, so chances are pretty good this will turn out yummy! (I'm so jealous if you make this...

Making Tiramisu from scratch is really time consuming, so good luck.

Copied from http://insomniacchef.blogspot.com/2007/04/vegan-tiramisu.html

For weeks I obsessed about vegan tiramisu. I'd tried vegan recipes in the past and came up with nothing good. This last time I was determined. Now there is a recipe floating around online for vegan tiramisu already and I gave that a shot first but here is what happened:

- the sponge cake came out kind of bitter and crumbly, even though it cooled a long time, cutting it caused it to break up.

- the "mascarpone" came out really runny.

So I tweaked that recipe and combined it with some other recipes and here is my successful version of vegan tiramisu. First make all the components of the recipe as follows.

Sponge Cake:

(Based on recipe I found online by Candace Naomi Sakuda)

2 cups all purpose flour

1 cup sugar

3 teaspoons baking powder

1 teaspoon cornstarch

1 teaspoon vanilla

1/4 cup plus 2 Tablespoons canola oil

1 1/3 cups water

Combine all the ingredients in a bowl and mix until smooth and free of lumps. Pour batter into a greased 9 inch pan. Bake at 375 degrees for 40 minutes or until toothpick inserted in center of cake comes out clean. Allow the cake to cool complete and then slice it into lady finger shaped strips. Put the strips on a cookie sheet and bake in the oven at 400 degrees for 18 minutes.

"Mascarpone"

8 oz Soy Cream Cheese (I used toffuti's vegan cream cheese)

1/4 cup soy sour cream (I used toffuti's vegan sour cream)

1/4 cup vegan cream (you can try silk coffee creamer but I used Alpro Soya Heavy Cream which you can buy here)

2 tablespoons Amaretto

1/3 cup powdered sugar

2 teaspoons vanilla extract

1 tablespoon agar (this is a vegan gelatine, I found some at a Korean grocery near my house but if you do not have that kind of thing near you you may have to buy some online)

Bring heavy cream to a boil in a small sauce pan and then dissolve the agar into it and allow it to cool to room temperature. Combine the cream/agar mix with all the other ingredients above and beat well. Put the mix in the fridge to set for several hours.

Coffee/Liquor Dip

1 cup expresso

3 tablespoons amaretto

3 tablespoons sugar

Combine these ingredients and put in the fridge to cool.

Topping

1 high quality dark chocolate bar, grated (store in the refrigerator)

To assemble the dessert dip the "lady fingers" you made into the coffee dip and lay them in a large deep dish. Pour the "mascarpone" over top of the cake. Sprinkel the "mascarpone" with the grated chocolate and then chill the entire dish in the refrigerator for an hour or until you are ready to serve.

• 3 months later...
  • 4 months later...