Figs rock!

Hero

I ate several dried figs for lunch yesterday, in fact. A good source of fiber, calcium, Vitamin A and magnesium as well.

This is one of the foods that has been revered since antiquity--and for good reason. Too bad that most people's only exposure to figs their whole lives is by eating an occasional sugar laden, processed Fig Newton cookie.

• 3 months later...
  • 2 months later...
I ate several dried figs for lunch yesterday, in fact. A good source of fiber, calcium, Vitamin A and magnesium as well.

This is one of the foods that has been revered since antiquity--and for good reason. Too bad that most people's only exposure to figs their whole lives is by eating an occasional sugar laden, processed Fig Newton cookie.

Definitely old school. Grandad keeps having it all the time with warm milk.

I have a hard time finding figs. They don't carry them in my local health-food store or in the local supermarkets. What's with that? Maybe I'll take a trip to the Amish health food store that is 30 miles away and pick some up.

I like both Calmyrna and Black Mission. Love those crunchy little seeds!

Has anybody heard of fig vinegar? I guess Dr. Fuhrman recommends using it, but I've never seen it.

• 1 month later...

Just a friendly warning on dried figs... Some aren't Vegan!!!

They sometimes use Glycerin to keep them moist (which as you all know can have an animal source)...

I'm not totally sure, but I think organic or sun dried are more likely to be OK...

Chris

• 1 month later...

Hey Folks,

hope all is well. Figs are indeed the best. And I envy sinisterkungfu for having fig trees. Just want to let you know (you all probably know this already) there is a website called livingtreecommunity.com that has a ton of wonderful products. I must admit it is a bit pricier (spelling) than others but check them out.

To all the best--Patrick