Vegan Bodybuilding & Fitness

Healthy Food Defines You
It is currently Thu Oct 23, 2014 10:17 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 879 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 59  Next
 Post subject: HSOrlandos 2013 Journal: Being vegan in a non vegan world
PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2007 12:46 pm 
Elephant

I LOVE THE GYM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I do my best to get there 6 times a week. Right now my routine consists of running on the treadmill, and taking group exercise classes. I used to just do free weights by myself but needed a change, that's why I started the classes. And I find that in taking the group classes I get a bit more cardio in my workout, than I would alone. So this is my current workout schedule.
Sunday:(Running on treadmill 20minutes)
I'm working on going longer, as I get better endurance.
(Step class 1 hour, and abs) then I walk home, I'm sharing a vehicle with 2 people so I walk alot
Monday: Running 20minutes
Muscle Toning,1 hour and abs, this class is pretty much weight training for the whole body
Tuesday: Muscle toning again, riight after work, no running
Wednesday: run 20min, Kickboxing 1 hour
Thursday run 20 min, latin cardio 1 hour a class that teaches latin dance moves at a cardio level
Friday: off
Saturday: Cardio Strength/ abs 1 hour
( a weight training class that has frequent cardio intervals to keep your heart rate up)
I'll talk about my eating habits another time.

Last edited by hsorlando on Fri Oct 04, 2013 9:50 pm, edited 9 times in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2007 10:31 pm 
Elephant

Todays's Tuesday so I'll try to remember what I've done this weekend.
And what I've eaten, maybe I shouldn't record that.

Saturday 29th Power walked to gym, Cardio Strength, there wasn't too much cardio in it because the substitute instructor thought the class was Muscle Toning. But it was a great workout, covered the entire body, and we got some cardio in doing lots of suicides, and inbetween squats. The trainer wanted us to be falling over on the suicides I guess. Then I walked home.

Sunday 30th Step class, also a substitute instructor, it was an ok workout but didn't sweat like I usually do.But the trainer was quite funny, I guess that has to count for something. the regular trainers for both classes were at a certification for Body Pump, can't wait for that class

Monday 1st Muscle toning 45minutes- Started with light weights, then medium, then heavy, I wasn't too sore afterwardsso I must finally be getting stronger. My light weights were for shoulders 5 pounds,I know that's light, mediums 7, and heavy 10. We then did abdominals, and stretched.Then I decided to run and managed 2 miles at 5.0 miles per hour. I think I prefer to run before my weight training, even though I've heard plenty of people say it's better to do cardio after.

Tuesday 2nd Ran 2miles before 1 hour Muscle Toning Class. Worked the shoulders hard, did lots of pushups, 60 to be exact, and worked my sore legs hard too. Also did abs in class.

As far as what I eat it is generally the same most of the time.

Breakfast: Oatmeal,the kind you have to cook for an hour, w/banana
Snack: nuts
Lunch:spinach salad- celery, tomato,greenpepper,cucumber,vegan chicken
Snack: fruit
Dinner brown rice, vegetable, vegan burger/ or steak strips, Taco Bell
Snack: cup of herbal tea/ or once a week a vegan chocolate chip cookie

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2007 10:16 pm 
Elephant

Wednesday October 3rd: Kickboxing 1 hour with abdominal training
Had different stations around gym that we did inbetween punches and kicks. It was a crazy workout, but lots of fun. Too hard to explain exaxctly what I did.But I will say that after two days of weight training my arms and legs were quite worn out by end of class.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2007 8:47 pm 
Elephant

Thursday 4th - Took a Latin Cardio class, I tried to get tyo the gym early enough to run before it, but didn't make it. I suppose that was for the best, as my right knee was hurting a little. Yesterday in KB, I fell on a mat, and I gues I landed on my right knee. Of course I did this with no grace whatsoever, and right in front of the trainer. Tomorrow I'll take the day off from the gym, since I've gone 6 days in a row.

My meals have pretty much looked the same, as I'm broke and can't afford too much food. This is what I ate today

Breakfast:Oatmeal w/ cinnamon, and vegan margarine, and black coffee

lunch: sandwich whole grain organic bread, vegan deli slices, and cheese, with a thin layer of veganaiise

Snack can of mandarin oranges ( I'm upset about the sugar intake)
Dinner: 2 bean burritos
I'm about to sign off and have a cup of tea, and think about eating better tomorrow!

Last edited by hsorlando on Tue Jan 01, 2008 2:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2007 8:15 pm 
Elephant

Great workout today! Woke up, ate ,and walked to gym, I haven't measured the distance but I think it'slike half a mile, just enough to loosen me up.
Cardio Strength was today, but it was leaning a lot towards Body Pump, because the instructor just got certified for BP, and they're adding it to the schedule in 4 weeks. Anyway I will do my best to remember the workout, and the weights used.
5 minute warmup/stretching
Started with chest press on step 3 risers each side 30 lbs
clean and press 30 pounds I think it was about 3 sets of each exercise altenating between them, the reps were somewhere between 12-15
Jumping Jacks to increase cardio level
squats 30lbs and tricep dips holding bb using step 3 sets 12-15 reps alternating between these two exercises
more jumping
bicep curls 20 lbs 3 sets/ situps with 5 pound weight
more jumping
I also did more rows and overhead shoulder presses 2 or 3 sets of about 15 reps with the weight between 20 and 30 lbs.
Then we finished with lunges, more abs and stretching I think I did pretty good as the trainer said it looked like I went almost to failure. Then I walked home, slower than I walked there.

Last edited by hsorlando on Tue Jan 01, 2008 2:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2007 8:28 pm 
Elephant

Forgot to post what I ate today, I have to do better in this department too!

Breakfast: Oatmeal with Splenda and unsweetened silk soy milk

Snack nuts and diet soda with Splenda

Lunch: Nothing (I was going to have a salad but I ended up at my brothers apartment, babysitting until 6 pm, and he had no vegan food, all I had was iced tea)

Dinner: My usual 2 burritos from Taco Bell, and some fresh cantaloupe it was very good. Does anyone else like their cantaloupe with salt?

I was too tired to cook, and so was my Mom, our intentions were for a better meal. Watching two baby girls under the age of two is demanding work!

Snack: I may have something else to eat, or I may just have tea

I imagine my eating log is probably worse than everyone elses put together, so if you think you had a bad eating day read what I ate, and you'll soon feel better

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2007 11:33 pm 
Site Admin

We should train together in Orlando later this month! Have great workouts this week!

Check out my Vegan Bodybuilding & Fitness Book on Amazon http://www.amazon.com/Vegan-Bodybuildin ... 497&sr=1-1

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2007 10:56 pm 
Elephant

Robert, that would definitely be cool! But I don't think I could possibly keep up with you when it comes to the weight training! First of all I am of course female, and second I'm not quite a bodybuilder, perhaps one day. Let me know more, as your trip to Orlando gets closer I always have great workouts!!

Here's my workout schedule for this past week as far as I can remember:

Sunday: Step class afterwards I ran for two miles, there was a thunderstorm, quite common for Orlando, Florida, and the power went out, but the Y has a backup generator so all the cardio equipment still worked, but the stupid treadmill I happened to be on kept shutting off, this was not good as I was running on it. But at least I didn't go falling off of it! Ha Ha.

Monday: Muscle Toning: Ran for 2 miles before my weight training class
M.T. was also geared towards Body Pump, as 4 instructors are all getting
ready to teach it. I think I did good, but was tired after the class, maybe because it was very similar to my Saturday class, and focused on a lot of the same exercises, and muscle groups

Tuesday: Muscle Toning: I managed to get through the class, and felt pretty good about the weight I lifted. For medium weights used 8 and 10s, and low weights for the shoulders (overhead) I think were 5s.

Wednesday: Kickboxing I think K.B. may be my favorite workout right now, too bad this time slot will probably disappear as not enough people come. I get such a good overall workout, and great cardio in it, and my kicks and punches are getting better of course, so don't mess with me lol

Thursday: Today I was kind of tired but I try to never let that get the best of me. So after work I went to the Y and ran for 2 miles, and then took my latin cardio class. Tomorrow is my day off!

I actually have a question/inquiry that I will just post here, as it has to do with my workouts, and although no one ever posts,(I guess I'm not very interesting) I see that people have read my fitness endeavors. Anyway I have been working out with weights for quite a few years now, over 5. And I always used to be quite sore after a hard workout with weights,usually for a few days.But lately I'm not that sore. I mean I do feel my quads, or triceps, etc. if I do alot of exercises for that bodypart, but I don't have this I'm going to feel it for three days feeling. I don't believe I'm slacking off at all,I go to the gym 6 days a week.And was wondering if maybe this means that I'm just finally getting stronger, and in better shape. The trainer that suggested I start running to build my endurance asked me one day if I was feeling stronger from running? Could it be that running has made me stronger all over? I kind of know the answer, but mainly wanted input, especially from people that are also vegan/vegetarian. And I am also wondering if I should possibly start taking a protein powder?I've never felt the need before, but maybe it would help boost my workouts. Thanks for reading!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2007 4:55 pm 
Elephant

Today I took a Cardio Strength class, and we used bb, and bands. I kept my weights as heavy as the trainers. Actually on the triceps,and bicep exercises I went heavier.And I kept my elbows near my sides too!! I only saw one other person with as much weight.

My eating has been pretty much the same as usual. I have no idea if I eat too much, or not enough. I just can't seem to lose any more weight. Right now the scale I use says I'm 144, but I tried another scale at a doctors office and that one had my weight 5 pounds less, that was a few months ago. I know muscle weighs more than fat, somaybe I'm just getting stronger. Well as long as I don't start going way upin weight I'll be ok.

Back to eating, for the last 36 hours.
Thursday: Dinner couscous, mixed vegetables, and vegan steak strips

Friday: Breakfast 2 pieces of organic whole grain bread w/ organic jam andlite layer of Earth Balance spread/ and black coffee
Snack: nuts
Snack:banana
Early dinner(4pm) Taco Bell 1 taco with Beans and lettuce, and 1 burrito no cheese
Dinner (8pm) 1 burrito (I was still hungry)
Snack 1 vegan chocolate chip cookie

Saturday: Breakfast: 1 piece of bread w/jam and 1 banana/black coffee
Lunch spinach salad with vegan chicken and veganaisse ( I had apple, and nuts in my salad) I find that the veganaisse is a good substitute for Ranch dressing
Dinner Am planning on eating vegan sausages/unsweet applesauce,and mixed veggies

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2007 6:54 pm 
Elephant

Yesterday I took my usual Step Class, I was kind of out of it though, and messed up a few times, but I kept going, and kept my cardio level high. I also ran 2 miles before the class.

Today I did a shorter weight training class, because I was quite tired. This only happens about two days a month. The important thing is that I still worked out! I feel that I am finally getting stronger, I have no idea why it's taken so long, but at least I am finally over that hump. We did a lot of chest work, and quite a bit of legs too. I'm going to cut this post short as it's time for a night of useless tv watching of Chuck, Heroes, and Journeyman.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2007 7:06 pm 
Manatee

You seem really busy and faithful to the gym. Don't stop!

Since RAW is good enough for every other animal on the planet, it is good enough for me. I'd much rather be like any one of them than most humans anyway.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2007 4:25 pm 
Elephant

I took Tuesday off, so that means I will most likely go workout on Friday instead.
Wednesday did Kickboxing,I absolutely love this class. But not enough people come so I don't think it's gonna make it, and the other KB class is at a time that I am not available. But as I've mentioned many times already Body Pump will be starting soon, and I've been told, and read about it too, that you get real strong real fast in this class. We'll see! So it looks like I will be updating my workouts in November, it's time for a change. Time to go to the gym!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2007 10:43 pm 
Elephant

Well today I ran for two miles on Treadmill, and then took a dance class for an hour. My quads were quite tired from Kickbooxing, and the rest of my legs were also tired from K.B. and running, but I made it.

I do my best with eating, I don't eat any processed white flour foods, and watch my bread intake, but I probably could do a lot better in the eating department.

Tomorrow I will possiibly do triceps, biceps, and abs using free weights, but this may change.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2007 12:39 am 
Site Admin

Do you want to train together in Orlando? I'll be there longer than I thought. I'll be in town Thursday-Sunday this week and only working all day on Saturday.

I'll be looking to train and I think it would be fun to get out there and train together.

See you this weekend! Great training log so far. We're starting to focus more on training again on the forum which I know is of great interest of yours.

Check out my Vegan Bodybuilding & Fitness Book on Amazon http://www.amazon.com/Vegan-Bodybuildin ... 497&sr=1-1

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2007 11:07 pm 
Elephant

Yeah, I'd love the opportunity to train with you. When would you want to workout? You can come to the local Y for free as my guest, or maybe the hotel that you're staying at might have a weight room? Just let me know! If you need to get directions somewhere in Orlando, I'm great with directions, and might be able to help you navigate your way around.

Anyway back to my workout. After work, it's only part time hours, I decided to get some weight training in. And I also got a bit of cardio too.
Cardio: 2 miles running on treadmill @ 5.0 mph
All the exercises were for three sets.
Bicep curls (standing) 20 pounds 12 reps
Shoulders: overhead press (seated) 20lbs 12 reps
Triceps: kickbacks 12 reps 20lbs
Biceps: hammer curls 12 reps (seated) 20lbs
Shoulders lateral raises (seated) 16lbs 12 reps
Triceps pushdowns with rope 12 reps ( think the weight was about 30lbs)
Biceps curls (standing) with arms further apart 12 reps 20lbs
triceps dips using bench 12 reps
shoulders (standing) lateral raise arms bent 90 degrees 12 reps 16 lbs
biceps (seated) curls slower half motion 20 lbs 12 reps
triceps skull crushers 20 lbs 10, 8, 6
shoulders overhead press (standing) 20lbs, 16 lbs
abs 25 crunches, 50 oblique crunches, 25 reverse crunches
stretching
I'm tired, so I'm calling it a night!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 879 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 59  Next