Will you help me plan my birthday dinner please?

veggymeggy

Hi guys!

I think I've announced it in like 300 different posts, but if somehow you missed it....my birthday is this Saturday! (I turn 22 on the 22nd )

I'm going home for my birthday, and the only thing I've asked for is a homecooked meal, cuz my mom is an AMAZING cook.

She's not so knowledgeable with vegan cooking though.

I know I want gnocchi, cuz that's my faaaaaaavorite food, but I just found out my formerly favorite sauce for them has butter in it, and my mom says it wouldn't good right with olive oil or other replacement

So does anyone have any sauce suggestions?

THEN - the MOST important part! DESSERT!!!!!

I have very few vegan dessert recipes and I don' t think I've ever actually used any. Does anyone have any that are good and would be appetizing to non-vegans too?

I looooove all things chocolate, and I love it even more if it's chocolate + fruit. I also love custards/"cheese"cakes and more fruit....

So if you have a good recipe please pass it along!

Or any other dinner suggestions!

It's my birthday and I'll 'pig' out if I want to

Thank you!!!

Your mom can make the sauce with Earth Balance margarine. Earth Balance is even tastier than butter!

As for dessert, the simplest and most delicious chocolate pie is very simple. Blend two packs of Mori-Nu silken tofu with a bag of melted choclate chips, pour it in a graham cracker pie crust and chill. So simple, it sounds too good to be true.

If you like things really sweet, add a tablespoon or two of your favorite sweetener to the mix.

An old friend used to sell these to restaurants in NC as part of her dessert business. She and her business were not vegan and she never told anyone her chocolate pie was made with tofu. Nobody ever had a clue!

Good luck and HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!

I've been avoiding vegan margarines because I made the assumption that, as a "margarine" they would be made with hydrogenated oils - something I try to avoid completely - but I decided to do some research and I just looked it up online and apparently it's NOT made with hydrogenated oils and has NO trans-fatty acids! WOW!!!

So maybe I will give that a shot - has anyone ever cooked with it before? Does it cook the same as butter? The sauce I want is basically fried sage leaves, I'm not even sure what else goes into it. It's just butter heated in a pan and fresh sage leaves are sauteed in it until they get all crispy and crunchy, then that goes over the gnocchi. Think it would turn out the same?

Also - I found a recipe almost just like what you suggested, the only difference being that it has coconut in it - I'm thinking I might go with something like that, it sounds yum!!!!!

The sauce for me is the easy part.

I would louv to hear how your mom makes vegan gnocchi. Can you please post the recipe here?

and happy happy B-day!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks

Traditional gnocchi is naturally vegan, I have seen recipes that use egg but those are a variation. The basic recipe is potatoes (preferably older than fresher), flour, salt and water. I'll get you the proportions and post them, off hand I'm not sure. It's a lot of potatoes though I know that!

So maybe I will give that a shot - has anyone ever cooked with it before? Does it cook the same as butter? The sauce I want is basically fried sage leaves, I'm not even sure what else goes into it. It's just butter heated in a pan and fresh sage leaves are sauteed in it until they get all crispy and crunchy, then that goes over the gnocchi. Think it would turn out the same?

Yeah, totally. 93% of the time margarine is equal to butter. The other 7% of the time it is better than butter - with regards to cooking, that is.

Yeah, totally. 93% of the time margarine is equal to butter. The other 7% of the time it is better than butter - with regards to cooking, that is.

Nice!

I'm super excited to have a vegan meal at home with my non-vegan family. The boy is coming too, I'm excited!

I shall experiment with vegan margarine in my own cooking, I'd never given it any thought and I'm excited to hear good things!

.....I just said "I'm excited" three times......did you guys get the point? I'm such a nerd.

Nice!

I'm super excited to have a vegan meal at home with my non-vegan family. The boy is coming too, I'm excited!

I shall experiment with vegan margarine in my own cooking, I'd never given it any thought and I'm excited to hear good things!

.....I just said "I'm excited" three times......did you guys get the point? I'm such a nerd.

It's okay, we're all nerds. Be careful with the Earth Balance, I have to restrain myself from eating it out of the tub.

Hi Veggymeggy,

Hope you have a great birthday! I have also been trying to decide what to make for a vegan birthday meal for omnis. I've been surfing (on this site and others) and here's a little of what I've found. Here are a few ideas:

Appetizer Ideas:

STUFFED MUSHROOM (Serves one)

1 large flat mushroom about 5 inches diameter (such as a portabello)

1 red onion

1 oz stale bread

4 sun-dried tomatoes (the dried ones not the ones in oil)

1 clove garlic, chopped

dash soy sauce

Use just enough boiling water to cover the sun-dried tomatoes and allow to soak for 10 minutes. Remove the mushroom stalk and chop finely. Chop the onion finely and then saute, along with the garlic and mushroom stalk, until soft in the tomato soaking liquid. You should have very little liquid left by the end of this. Add the finely chopped bread and a dash of soy sauce to make a firm stuffing.

Fill the mushroom cap with the stuffing and put on a baking sheet in a hot oven until the top is brown and crisp.

Spinach Puffs

1 Box Frozen Chopped Spinach

1 Onion Chopped

1 Tsp Salt Fresh Ground Black Pepper

1-2 Cloves Garlic (Crushed)

Olive Oil for Sauteing

1 Box Puff Pastry* *Note: Always check the ingredients to make sure the product is vegan.

In a medium skillet saute onions until they start to brown.

Add thawed spinach, salt and pepper and garlic.

Mix well and heat for a minute or two.

Turn heat off and set spinach mixture aside to cool.

Roll out puff pastry into a 1/4" thick rectangle.

Using a pizza slicer, cut into squares.

Put cooled filling into the centre of each square and fold into shapes.

Bake at 400° for 30 mins.

Mushroom and Leek Puffs

2 1/2 Cups Sliced Mushrooms

1 Bunch Leeks Washed Well and Sliced into Rounds

1 Tbsp Flour

1/2 Tsp Salt

Fresh Ground Black Pepper

3/4 Cup Soy Milk

Olive Oil for Sauteing

1 Box Puff Pastry* *Note: Always check the ingredients to make sure the product is vegan.

In a medium skillet saute leeks until wilted.

Add mushrooms and continue to cook until mushrooms are done, 5-7 mins.

Add flour and mix in so that all the vegetables are coated.

Add soy milk and stir until the soy milk has thickened (1-2 mins).

Roll out puff pastry into a 1/4" thick rectangle.

Using a pizza slicer, cut into squares.

Put cooled filling into the centre of each square and fold into shapes.

Bake at 400° for 30 mins.

Here are other dishes you can make in addition to the gnocchi and/or lasagna for the entree.

ENCHILADA PIE:

In a large baking dish, spoon some enchilada sauce in the bottom.

put a layer of corn tortillas on top of it.

top with filling of your choice.

then layer more corn tortillas on top.

pour the rest of the enchilada sauce over the top.

Scatter sliced black olives on top.

For the filling use:

- one block of xtra firm tofu, crumbled

- small can of diced green chilis

- two bunches of steamed and chopped spinach

- one red bell pepper, diced

- one cup of corn (use frozen)

- one can of black beans

Just mix it all together and it's good to go! If you mix it up really well, they will not even notice the tofu!! Bake at 350 degrees F for about 20-25 min.

Spicy Vegetable Pilaf:

Ingredients

1 tbsp olive oil

½ red pepper, chopped

1 shallot, finely chopped

½ courgette, chopped

200g white rice

1 tsp chilli flakes

1 tsp turmeric

1 tsp coriander seeds

500ml vegetable stock

½ orange, zest and juice only, plus extra zest for sprinkling

1. Heat the oil in a large pan.

2. Add the vegetables and fry gently for 2-3 minutes until starting to soften.

3. Stir in the remaining ingredients, cover and leave to simmer for 7-8 minutes until the rice is tender and the vegetables are cooked.

4. Sprinkle over the extra orange zest to serve.

Side Dish Ideas:

Veggies

Salad

Herb-Roasted Potatoes Poupon

• 1/3 c. Dijon mustard

• 2 T. olive oil

• 1 clove garlic, chopped

• ½ tsp. Italian seasoning

• 6 medium red skin potatoes, cut into chunks Preheat the oven to 425 F. Mix all ingredients except potatoes in small bowl. Toss potatoes with mustard mixture and place in lightly greased 13x9x2-inch baking pan or on a shallow baking sheet. Bake for 35 to 40 minutes, or until potatoes are fork tender, stirring occasionally.

Dessert Ideas:

DEEP CHOCOLATE CAKE

1 1/2 cups white flour

1/3 cup unsweetened cocoa powder

1/2 teaspoon baking soda

1/2 teaspoon salt

1 cup sugar

1/2 cup vegetable oil

1 cup cold water or chilled brewed coffee

2 teaspoons vanilla extract

2 tablespoons cider vinegar

1. Preheat oven to 375.

2. Oil an 8" square or round pan and dust with sifted cocoa.

3. Sift flour, cocoa, soda, salt and sugar.

4. In another bowl mix oil, water and vanilla.

5. Pour liquid into dry and mix till smooth.

6. Add vinegar and stir briefly.

7. Without wasting time, pour batter into pan and bake 25-30 minutes. Cool completely before frosting!

DEEP CHOCOLATE FROSTING

2 ounces unsweetened chocolate

1/4 cup peanut butter

3-4 tablespoons water

1 teaspoon vanilla

1 cup confectioners' sugar

8. For frosting: melt chocolate in heavy pan on medium heat.

9. Beat together peanut butter, water& vanilla.

10. Beat in sugar then add melted chocolate.

11. Beat till smooth.

12. Spread on cooled cake.

8 servings

OR

Chocolate, Chocolate Chip Cheesecake (vegan)

Ingredients:

2 packets plain chocolate biscuits (e.g. Westons)

half a tub Nuttelex margarine, melted

1 block silken tofu

1 tub Kingland Soy Cream Cheese

1 packet dark chocolate bits

2 tbsp icing sugar

2 tbsp cocoa

"springform" cheesecake pan

Biscuit Base:

1 Crush the biscuits into small pieces in a blender or plastic bag with a rolling pin.

2 Add the margarine to the biscuit pieces gradually until it’s a firm, but soft

mixture.

3 Grease the bottom of a "springform" cheesecake pan. Place the biscuit mixture

onto the base of the tin and refrigerate until hardened.

Filling:

1 In a bowl, blend the cocoa, icing sugar, silken tofu, and soy cream cheese with

a blender, until it reaches a creamy, yet firm consistency.

2 Remove from blender and add half of the chocolate chips, mixing through with

a fork.

3 When base has hardened, pour in the filing, and then return it to the fridge for

30 mins.

Topping:

1 Put the leftover chocolate into a bowl and melt.

2 Pour some of the melted chocolate onto the middle of a sheet of greaseproof

paper. Spread with a spatula into an even thickness.

3 Freeze for 5 minutes.

4 Once hardened, smash the chocolate sheet into "shards".

5 Once the cake has firmed, poke the chocolate shards into the top of the cake

and refrigerate until ready to serve.

As for dessert, the simplest and most delicious chocolate pie is very simple. Blend two packs of Mori-Nu silken tofu with a bag of melted choclate chips, pour it in a graham cracker pie crust and chill. So simple, it sounds too good to be true.

It does sound too good to be true, but it's delicious! I made this for our non-vegan dinner guests last Friday night and the pie was very well liked. It would've been all gone in about five minutes, if it wasn't competing with the yummy fried bananas w/cinnamon that my daughter was making.

It does sound too good to be true, but it's delicious! I made this for our non-vegan dinner guests last Friday night and the pie was very well liked. It would've been all gone in about five minutes, if it wasn't competing with the yummy fried bananas w/cinnamon that my daughter was making.

Yeah! I love making people happy by cooking them good vegan food. Sharing recipes that work out is almost as good.