Lisa's pursuit of fitness and good health

Yesterday I came home & It felt like Christmas! I get a box of organic produce delivered every Wednesday, so it's always fun going through that, PLUS I finally got my big tub of Berry Vega from Food Fight. I immediately had to try it. I mixed it with some water, it was ok this way, kind of grainy though, it's definitely better in a smoothie. Then I went with my husband to a reception dinner thingy, I was a little nervous about eating there, but luckily it was a buffet so I could load up on the veggies & salad & just have a little pasta & potatoes, no one even noticed that I didn't take any meat!! I also treated myself to two drinks, which really helped me loosen up to make small talk.

Unfortunately, because we were not home with the puppy from 5 to 9 she didn't want to sleep through the night and I ended up getting up with her in the middle of the night. When the alarm went off in the morning it was a tough one, but I told the girls I'd meet them for a run, so I had coffee & a banana and off I went. It was really humid & warmer than it has been lately. I really struggled, but I did the best I could. When I got back in I was soaked & really hot. I drank a ton of ice water & then mixed up a berry vega with two kiwis & some soymilk- good stuff!!! Now I'm sleepy here at work, getting ready to have my hot cereal with hemp & an apple. My back still feels stiff, I don't know if this could still be from Saturday, but I'm thinking of doing yoga and maybe abs later today.

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

WOW I hate to admit this, but I had a really unhealthy lunch and I feel sooo much better!! This morning I was reaily dragging. I ended up going out to lunch with some coworkers to a mexican place. I got a combo platter with rice, refried beans, a bean enchalada, and a cheesy thing, also guac, chips & salsa. I thought I would feel worse afterwards, but I was so hungry I didn't really care. Now I'm all wound up, I feel great! Maybe this shows I just haven't been eating enough lately. I don't want to go back to eating much dairy and processed carbs because I don't think it's healthy. I'll try to make a point to eat heathly foods, but just more of them than I have been.

I had a great weekend!!!

It started out not so good with a tummy ache Friday afternoon/ night. I couldn't really eat much and so wasn't looking forward to the half marathon the next day. But the race went really well. I think my time was around 2:21, not great, but not horrible either, and I felt good afterwards, so that was a bonus. I had time for a nice long nap Saturday afternoon and caught up with some housework. We started decorating for Halloween.

Sunday I took the dogs for a nice long walk, swam 30 minutes, then worked out my back, shoulders, and abs, and streched really well. While at the gym I weighed myself: 151!!!! I couldn't believe it!! If I had to guess I would have said I gained weight last week, not lost it! Must be the vega! I also ended up walking around alot later in the day and felt exhausted by 8 pm so I went to bed early.

This morning I got up in time to bike for 30 minutes and work my chest, biceps, triceps. Feeling pretty good! I don't have as many plans this week as last so I should be able to workout more consistently.

Still feeling pretty good. Yesterday morning I ran 3 X 1 mile with less than a minute break in between. My times were 8:53, 8:48, 8:55. Not too bad considering the shorter recovery intervals. After work I did lots of leg work at the gym.

This morning I swam, concentrating on having good form, and was feeling pretty tired afterwards so I streched really well & did ab work. Tomorrow I plan on going to the track in the morning & then hitting the weights after work.

I made this wonderful soup for dinner last night. I get produce on Wednesdays so a lot of Tuesday I try to use up veggies that are getting old. At lunchtime I sauteed an onion, some cabbage (1 pound I think), and garlic in a little olive oil, then combined this with a sweet potato, a regular potato, some carrots, veg broth, Mrs. Dash, and nut yeast in the crock pot. When I came home at night I added soymilk mixed with a little cornstarch, more nut. yeast, and salt & pepper. It was soooo good. I even had some of the leftovers for breakfast this morning!!!

Wow, I haven't written on here in a while! I weighed myself yesterday: 152 grrr. I know it's normal for weight to fluctuate, but it still makes me mad!

Thursday I went to the gym after work, did back & shoulders, then a speed workout on the treadmill. 7 X 400, with 1:30 rests in between. It was fun to do these short intervals, and made me feel very fast. Friday I did biceps & chest and rode the bike for a half hour.

Saturday morning I met up with some other runners and ran 8 miles at a slow comfortable pace. I made a new friend with a woman training for her first half marathon next month. She had 8 miles on her schedule but was already saying she could just do 7 before we even started. I caoched in to the full 8. I could tell that it was a real challenge for her and it gave her a huge sense of accomplishment, so I was really happy to be able to help her out.

Saturday evening I took the dogs for a loooong walk to the dog park. My puppy is very timid & defensive around other dogs, so I'm trying to socialize her. This Saturday was a huge step. By the time we left I think she was starting to feel more comfortable around new dogs. My five year old loved it since I haven't taken him for his long walks very much since we got the puppy.

Yesterday I swam at the gym, did legs, and abs. Then my shoulders and back got a workout trimming these evil shrubs in the front of my house. It took me over an hour. I'm glad I had time to rest a little before going to a wedding. I definetly ate & drank too much at the wedding (including "cheating" with some black forest cake), but I also danced alot in some killer heels & my legs are telling me today that they had a good workout, especially the calves! In hindsight, I probably shouldn't have worked my legs the morning before going out!

I slept in this morning since we got in kindof late last night. Not sure if I will make it to the gym after work or not. I could just go for a bike ride I guess.

Good run this morning! I skipped working out yesterday and just took the dogs to the park again. It was hot & really humid this morning, but I ran a mile warmup and then kept pace with the fast women for 4 miles! Made me feel really good. I think it's a good omen for my half marathon this Sunday. It should cool down by then and I'm finally feeling pretty good. I decided to take it easy the rest of the week and try to give it my all. It's on the Atlantic City Boardwalk and I've always enjoyed running on the boards, so I'm starting to really look forward to it. My husband and my parents are going to come cheer me on and I talked some of my running club friends into going too.

Thanks! It is just a half though!!! Don't get too crazy!

Yesterday I biked for 30 minutes and did abs, chest, back, and shoulders.

This morning I met up with a different group and ran somewhere between 5 and 6 miles. This group is a little slower and takes a 1 minute walk break for every ten minutes of running. The loop also has a bunch of little hills in it so it was a fun change of pace for me and a little easier than trying to keep up with the faster group. It was also raining & pitch dark! Fun stuff!

Hey Lisa, good luck with your half!

I would suggest maybe you should not focus on the number of your weight, and instead focus on packing nutrient dense foods into your diet. It can be really easy to become fixated on the number. The important thing is to eat well, and feel good. If the weight is supposed to come off it will.

Thanks for the well wishes! I'm happy with how things went. We really lucked out with good weather this Sunday! Pamela, thanks for the advice on the weight, I really don't stress it too much, but I would like to see a gradual decrease. I'm 5'6 and being over 150 lbs is definetly too much!

Friday night I picked up "Skinny Bitch". It is a really funny, easy to read book that has some excellent diet advice. So far it has convinced me to give up coffee. Saturday I went swimming in the morning for 20 minutes then in the afternoon my husband & I took the dogs to the beach to walk around and tire them out. It was a really nice relaxing day and I went to bed extra early. Sunday morning I got up, had cereal & a banana for breakfast and my last cup of coffee! My husband drove me to Atlantic City, where we met up with a bunch of my friends from my running club. Most of them were running the Marathon, I only ran the Half.

My time was around 2 hours, 15 minutes. Not the best Half Marathon time I ever had, but not the worst either. I paced myself well and felt pretty good the whole time. I thought the race was well organized and I liked the course. I look forward to running this one again next year. Now I won't be running that long of a distance until probably the spring so I can focus on speedwork.

I didn't get up this monring to go to the gym because my legs felt like lead weights, but I plan on stopping there this evening for an upper body workout.

I hate numbers though.... I'm 5'7" and when people learn my actual weight they are almost always compelled to tell me I'm "too thin" and that I need to put on weight. Yeah, the number is low, but I eat really well (and lots) and obviously it's not harming my performance! I've never been healthier. Yet, at this weight I wouldn't be able to get health insurance in the United States, because my BMI is too low.

Other people the same height as me who are fit and healthy look great at a higher weight. We all have different bodies. Just treat it right and you'll be happy.

I quit coffee recently myself... although it took me several months to wean off of the caffeine. Good luck!

How many half marathons have you run Lisa?

I've been gradually reducing my coffee anyway, so I was already down to a cup or two every day. I just thought about it and realized it wasn't good that I felt like I needed it every day. I would rather not have it every day and then it will be a treat if I do decide to have it once in a while. I had green tea this morning, so that helped. I was feeling really cranky here at work this morningwithout my coffee, though part of that could have been because I was hungry too. I just hit Whole foods for lunch (and picked up stuff to heat for dinner too) , they are my savoir!!!

I should keep better track of my races, I really had to think about it. I've ran 2 marathons, and I think this was my 6th half, which includes the trail half I did in August, that one was as hard as a marathon. I've done alot of 5Ks and trail races less than 10 miles, but only one road 10K and one 10 miler. And one sprint tri Wow I sound like a regular pro!

Thanks for the tips about my weight, Pamela. I think I do naturally have a bigger build. I am really happy with the progress that I have been making. I'm starting to notice some arm and back definition already, plus my tush is starting to look good. My real goal is to get rid of some flabby spots on my thighs, the weight is just something measureable that I like to keep track of.

Skinny Bitch was one of my favorite reads, lol

I never did give up the coffee tried once to no avail. Interestingly, now it is part of my dehydration and cutting routine for comp.

Good luck giving it up ... the headaches were a bear when I tried.

Ditto on the book-had me laughing out loud. About the coffee, both of you should give it up

Good luck on the marathon, keep us posted...

Wow! I haven't updated this in a week! Crazy- last week flew by. I've been really busy at work & I'm getting ready at home for a huge Halloween bash we are having this Saturday. I'm looking forward to the party, but still have a lot to do so I'm also loooking forward to it just being over and done with.

I ate really well last week, following the skinny bitch guidelines, and didn't have any caffiene at all! Only drawback is I've been getting headaches frequently. Anyone know when they will stop?

Monday I biked for 30 minutes & upper body weights. Tuesday I ran 5 1/2 miles, then did legs weights. Wednesday took the dogs for a long walk & upper body weights. Thursday ran 5 miles. Friday ran 3 X400s. Saturday went for a long walk & then just ran a bunch of errands, including shopping at BJs (I think that should count as a full body workout!) Sunday I had a really fun 9.2 mile trail run.

I should have gotten up this morning to swim & train arms or something, but my bed was just too comfy. Now tonight I don't know if I will make it to the gym, or will clean out my bar.

I'm having a huge amount of difficulty with getting out of bed in the morning. We are going to look in to buying a timed lamp with a full spectrum bulb to simulate sun in the morning in our bedroom. It's pitch black for the first hour after I wake up.

I didn't get headaches when I quit caffeine because I weaned myself off. My friend who quit caffeine cold turkey before I did had them for about five days, I think. Good work!

Haha- I don't think my sleephead husband would appreciate a sunlamp in the bedroom! It is a good idea though. I can get up in the morning to run if I am meeting others or if I know I won't be able to run later, its on my crosstraining & weightlifting days that I have no motivation. I think I will go to the gym after work & worry about cleaning some other time!

Happy to hear my caffiene headaches will stop soon. I think sometimes they are hunger headaches too.

I'm having a huge amount of difficulty with getting out of bed in the morning. We are going to look in to buying a timed lamp with a full spectrum bulb to simulate sun in the morning in our bedroom. It's pitch black for the first hour after I wake up.

You could always just buy a cheap timer and put a really low watt bulb in the lamp...this way it'll just be kinda dim when you get up but the light being on shouldn't wake you up immediately. Plus you can find one for $5.

You could always just buy a cheap timer and put a really low watt bulb in the lamp...this way it'll just be kinda dim when you get up but the light being on shouldn't wake you up immediately. Plus you can find one for $5.

Yeah, that's kind of what I meant. I'm not sure how cheap timers will be though. When we had to buy one for our outside light it was more like $50. Maybe we can pick one up cheap in DC in two weeks!!!!!!

Monday I did do a quick arms & abs workout. Tuesday I again didn't want to get out of bed so I ran 3 X800s after work. They were really hard and I felt exhausted afterwards. I realized that I had been feeling run down for a few days at that point so I made an effort to go to bed extra early & not even try to go to the gym the next morning. I'm not sure if I had a bug, or was just rundown, but I felt tired & achy Wed so I just took it easy. Last night I finally had the energy to clean like I have been wanting to. This morning I woke up feeling good so I rode the bike for a half hour & worked my abs. I also weighted myself today: still 152. Not bad considering I've felt like I was eating a lot of food & have been relatively inactive. My attitude is better too, I'm looking forward to the party now.

• 1 month later...

oh no- some of my posts got lost!!

That's ok, I haven't been working out much anyway. I am finally over this nasty cold I had and finally feel like myself again. Friday I swam for 10 minutes, biked for 20, then did chest, abs, biceps. Saturday I ran a REALLY hilly & difficult 5K, Yesterday I went to the gym for legs and biked for 30 minutes. This morning I slept in. I picked up a new running book with a training program I plan on following. I've been loosely following it anyway, but I'm going to make more of an effort now. It's running 3 days a week and crosstraining 2-3 days. But the running workouts are specific, one speed, one temp, and one distance. I'm going to try to follow the 10K program for now and work up to the half marathon in the spring. I'l also going to try to be flexible so that I can run with a group when ever possible.

WOW, I have all my old energy back finally!!! I don't know what kind of bug I had but it was nasty. I never used to get sick & since I've gone vegan, I've had two pretty bad episodes, is there a particular nutrient I may be missing?

Anyhow, Last night I went to the track & ran a tempo workout. 1 mile warmup, then 3 at 9:12-9:14 pace, and another mile cooldown. This morning I actually woke up early to go to the gym. I swam for 20 minutes mostly in a cycle of doing 4 lengths fast and with good form, then taking a minute break. Then it was back, shoulders, abs, and triceps.

On the way back from the gym I stopped at this convience store that recently changed hands because my husband said they had a vegitarian sandwich & he said he thought I would like some of the other things they carried- I was in heaven!!! Tofu, Soymilk, Clif lara & luna bars, huge selection of teas, fresh looking fruit salads, lots of good stuff!!! I just walked around looking at everything for a while.

WOW, I have all my old energy back finally!!! I don't know what kind of bug I had but it was nasty. I never used to get sick & since I've gone vegan, I've had two pretty bad episodes, is there a particular nutrient I may be missing?

Anyhow, Last night I went to the track & ran a tempo workout. 1 mile warmup, then 3 at 9:12-9:14 pace, and another mile cooldown. This morning I actually woke up early to go to the gym. I swam for 20 minutes mostly in a cycle of doing 4 lengths fast and with good form, then taking a minute break. Then it was back, shoulders, abs, and triceps.

On the way back from the gym I stopped at this convience store that recently changed hands because my husband said they had a vegitarian sandwich & he said he thought I would like some of the other things they carried- I was in heaven!!! Tofu, Soymilk, Clif lara & luna bars, huge selection of teas, fresh looking fruit salads, lots of good stuff!!! I just walked around looking at everything for a while.

I'm glad you're feeling better, Lisa. Good for you doing the tempo workout on your own accord. So far I have mostly sucked at doing that stuff voluntarily. That's why I'm going out to the running group when I can... it forces me to do speed work.

That's awesome that a convenience store carries that stuff!! It reminds me of how I felt when I went to Sticky Fingers when I was in DC. It was amazing looking around and knowing that every single thing I saw was vegan. I don't think they even had mushrooms there either, which made it pure heaven.