New Here And Looking For Advice.

Doc Holliday

Hi. I'm not exactly a Vegan Bodybuilder, however, I am a Vegan who is very physically active and fit. I recognize it as pretty much the ideal diet for a number of reasons. Health, the environment, animal cruelty, etc. Despite not really being a bodybuilder, I do have some muscle type questions that I hope you'll be able to help me with. Here's my story:

When I was 17, I weighed 240 pounds (6ft). That year, I started yoga and it somehow spurred my metabolism, which had remained sluggish through years of sports, into bringing me down to about 190 Pounds. Two years ago, I became a vegan (Pretty much on a mcdougall diet) due to the health benefits. I lost 10 pounds, bringing me to 180. I'm now fairly slender and am in good shape. I'm very strong, able to do hand stands/scorpions. I run about 45 minutes a day. I rock climb, practice Ninjutsu, spar, do Yoga every day, and generally enjoy other physical activities.

My problem is that now I've got a slight amount of loose skin around the bottom of my stomach, and around my pectoral area, left over from when I was overweight at 17. I'm now 21. There seems to also be a very small amount of fat in my pectoral areas as well, which never seems to go away. I think I may be cursed with the dreaded "man boobs", for the rest of my life.

I have a lot of lean muscle there, but its covered by a layer of skin, and I'd like to get rid of it. It's annoying. I'm in good shape, and I'd like to be able to wear a tight shirt without having the man boob effect.

What can I do to get rid of it? Push ups/ Inverted push ups/ hand stands/ all manner of muscle bearing activities have increased the muscle underneath, but still left me with that little bit of skin and fat.

I"m looking for advice, however, I don't especially want to start lifting weights, as I have tried it briefly in the past, and though I gained a bit of muscle in that brief time, it interfered with my flexibility, which is important in my Yoga, Ninjutsu, and Rock Climbing.

Am I stuck with it? Is there anything I can do? Exercises, etc?

Suggestions?

Thanks for all your help.

I don't know a whole lot about man boobs, but I wonder if they are related to low testosterone?

Ha! I hope not!

They're not really manboobs, as in any sort of body disfigurement. It's just that I've got extra fat/ skin in that area that I've got to get rid of. I think it's mostly the left over skin from when I weighted more. Man boob is just the term that's generally used to cover it in a joking manner. I've got a fair amount of testosterone I believe.

Thanks for the suggestion though.

Welcome!

In answer to your question:

At least on the pics it doesn't look so bad as i imagined when you explained it. Give you body a little more time to remove the remnants of your former obesity. Work out and try to get as lean as possible. Be confident. Everyone has "skin" that can be picked between two fingers When you diet, you will lose more fat, even if the fat in your target areas remains until the last. Skin itself can atrophe and shrink again, but only to a certain extend and it takes time. But you were "only" 240lbs, i think that's not so overweight at your height that the skin can't recover.

Enjoy the forum,

Daywalker

Hey man, welcome to the forum. The man boobs you talk about don't look so bad. To me, it just looks like you have fat specifically in that place, which causes it. I have a similar 'problem'. My stomach and my chest is where most of my fat seems to be, the rest of me looks okay. I think it's just matter of working out, and killing the rest of the fat.