The Journal of Veggie P (Melissa)

So, today I'm finally doing something that has been on my mind for along time.

I hired a Dietitian/Trainer to take me to the final phase.... my ultimate physique.

It's hard because I've studied Nutrition and Training on my own for as long as I can remember, and I've gotten myself and others great results. So its been hard for me to admit that I need a trainer/nutritionist to go the distance.

The bottom line is, when you plunk that money down (that you DON'T have), and your accountable to someone other than yourself, that is 90% of the game. Also, he knows more about Carb Cycling to get "cut" than I do. He's a Registered Dietititian and I know how much commitment and training it takes to get those credentials. He's also a Sports Nutritionist/Trainer and does alot of bodybuilding and fitness competitor diets. Also, I know people that are extremely happy with their results from him. And most importantly, he believes it can be done as a Vegan. He says "he's seen it done quite a few times".... so I love that.

So we meet in an hour and a half and I'm very very excited.

So I thought this would be a good starting point for a Journal. He's already said that me doing 2 hours of cardio a day is nutso and he's gonna have me knock that off right away! LOL.

Oh, and here's another reason I love him. I told him that I was very carb sensitive and I'm afraid he's going to give me a bunch of carbs and he said, "No. I hate carbs". A man after my own heart!!

So, here goes. I am really really committed to do this! More than I've ever been in my entire life. My 1st goal is 12% Bodyfat. If I look good there, I'll stop. If I don't, I'll go down to 10%. At least for a few photo shoots and then I'll go back up to 12% because its not healthy (or realistic) for a woman to stay at 10% BF.

Wish me luck!!! I'm super duper excited!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Edited by veggieprincess

• Replies 340
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

thanks guys!

I feel that I've got my moneys worth and then some.

He gave me this huge binder full of information. Everything is outlined for me. The exact calories, protein, fat I'm supposed to take in along with Sample Meal Plans, when to take supplements, an entire workout routine food lists, everything. Nothing is left to guess at. Its all spelled out for me. Now its up to me to put in the work and get all the meals in.

I am beyond impressed. He has me on 4 weight days with 60 minute cardio and 1 cardio only day. Has me consuming about 1 g protein per lb of body weight, and he has me taking just 1 additional supplement but taking alot of it. It's called Xtend and its an amino acid compound with Leucine, Glutamine, Isoleucine, Valine and Vit B6.

Today was cardio only. 45 minutes Recumbent Bike. He wanted me to do it at the gym on the Treadmill at an incline but after buying all the food prescribed and trying to stick to my meals I just didn't have time.

I'm really excited. He knows my 1st mini goal for photos is November 1st. Hopefully I'll be in decent enough shape to pull off some photos for my website by then. I won't be in bikini shape that soon, but he's confident I'll have some nice muscle tone by then because he believes in this supplement so much.

Anyway, I'm exhausted, but very very very excited.

Do you think its safe to stay at 12%? It'll be an accomplishment but it may cause some issues of you stay there for good. 12% is super low for your every day bf and it'll be very hard to gain muscles and strength with bf that low.

He's just teasing me cuz I talk about carbs alot. I have to eat a fairly low carb program to keep the weight off.

But so does Sea Siren. Take a look at her post from last week. She outlined a sample of what she eats and its actually a bit lower than what I'm doing. Some women really have to cut the STARCHY carbs lower to see any changes (when I talk about low carbs, I'm only referring to starchy carbs like potatoes, rice etc).

Potter.... I'm gonna worry about that later. I've never been at 12%. My goal is just to get there. Staying there is a very lofty goal anyway. I'm very concerned about health too, but you just have now idea how long I've wanted this and I'm so close I can taste it. Especially with the added confidence of having hired someone with so much experience. I know I will make it if I just eat what he tells me to eat and do what he tells me to do.

I'll post my training later. Just got back from weights. I still have an hour of cardio left and I've got to go train a couple of people.

Feelin good!

I do put carbs in me Just very limited amounts of the starchy carbs.

Tasha, I'm able to get by with less by:

Never going more than 3 hours without food - EVER

Adding a small amount of healthy fat to the meal such as a handful of almonds or small amount of flax oil. 20 - 30 grams protein and a very easily digestible carbs such as veggies or fruit. That can always get me through a workout and keep me lean. If I were to skip the fat, I'd be hungry and run out of energy. If I were to skip the protein, I'd be hungry and would lose the muscle I'm trying to add. If I didn't have any carbs at all that meal, I could get through to the next meal but would need something the next meal. So I do have carbs, I just pick lower carb items, I watch the starchy carbs carefully and I space them out

Thanks Josh! I'm feeling confident too.

Who knows, after I get there, maybe I'll try to do it "Raw". As long as we follow the principles of science and methods that have been tried and true (i.e. high protein to build muscle), I think anythiing is possible, and my new trainer seems to be up for challenges Just because something hasn't been done before doesen't mean it can't be done. But you can't build muscle without protein unless you are genetically gifted do so. For example, I got comments on my calves all the time. I have huge mutant muscular calves. When I gain weight, they are truly the size of thighs. Its from my German heritage and its genetic, period. Meanwhile, my genetically mutant huge ass refuses to budge.... YET!!! Ha, ha

I was researching tonight if there were any Raw Protein Powders besides Hemp. The only thing besides Raw Hemp that I found is a line called Raw Power that is made with a Brazil Nut and Hemp combo. NOT THAT I'M GOING RAW.... I just like to think ahead so I don't have that anti-climactic feeling once I reach a goal.

Tonight:

DB Shoulder Press 3 x 15 17.5 lbs

Hamstring Curl 3 x 10 50 lbs

Bent Arm Lat Raises 3 x 15 17.5 lbs

Straight Leg Dead Lifts w/ DB's 3 x 15 25 lbs ea hand

Front Raise DB 3 x 12 15lbs

Single Leg Leg Press 3 x 15 15 lbs

(I should have been doing these all along. I had knee surgery 3 years ago and one of my thighs is a full 1 1/2 inches bigger than the other. He put me on 1 leg leg presses to compensate. DUH! Why haven't I been doing that???)

3 sets ab crunches to failure

1 hour treadmill on an incline (made it to 38 minutes but the gym closed. So I have 22 minutes low intensity cardio left)

Yay! Feeling good. Not hungry one bit!!

I do put carbs in me Just very limited amounts of the starchy carbs.

Tasha, I'm able to get by with less by:

Never going more than 3 hours without food - EVER

Adding a small amount of healthy fat to the meal such as a handful of almonds or small amount of flax oil. 20 - 30 grams protein and a very easily digestible carbs such as veggies or fruit. That can always get me through a workout and keep me lean. If I were to skip the fat, I'd be hungry and run out of energy. If I were to skip the protein, I'd be hungry and would lose the muscle I'm trying to add. If I didn't have any carbs at all that meal, I could get through to the next meal but would need something the next meal. So I do have carbs, I just pick lower carb items, I watch the starchy carbs carefully and I space them out

Awesome Good for You Veggie Princess. You're well on your way

What were your beginning stats?

How tall are you?

Is that you on the OCFitness stie, at the stove that looks like mine? : That photo looks great. Actually that microwave looks like mine too.

Wait a minute, where MY microwave and stove............VP!!!!!

Pazios, I'm 5 - 4, 119 lbs, 16.5% Bodyfat with at least 5% of it hanging out on my ass.

Man, do I talk about anything other than my ass and carbs. ANYWAY. Believe it or not, I'm from So Cal but that picture with me holding the pan was taken in Massachusetts! I lived there for a short time and it is in the photographer's kitchen in Medway, Mass. I'm jealous that you get to experience an actual Fall season right now and I don't anymore

Good workout today accept the Stepmills are always taken and its frustrating. My butt needs the Stepmill!!!!

I don't have my log in front of me, but I did:

Tricep Rope Pulldowns 3 sets 12 40 lbs (I can usually go heavier but this was a huge heavy rope instead of the smaller one I'm used to)

Bent Over DB Rows 3 sets 15 25 lbs

Skull Crushers with EZ Bar Close Grip Tricep Press back to back 3 sets 24 30 lbs

Lat Pulldowns on Chin Up Machine 3 sets 12 60 & 74lbs

One Arm DB Rows 3 sets 10 20 lbs

Standing Calf Raises 3 sets 15 90 lbs

45 min Treadmill at an Incline, 15 min Ellyptical

I'm wiped. Getting my food together today was challenging. I just can't believe I didn't hire a trainer before. This is what I've needed all along. Someone to tell me what to do even though I know what to do.

Ok. My arms are shaking. I so wish I could tide the night off with a glass of wine tonight, but that is not an option.

Day off training today.

My trainer has compensated with slightly less calories.

TODAY WAS VERY EXCITING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I woke up with a four pack. I've seen the line develop down the middle before when my abs get lean, but dang it if I didn't see an honest to goodness FOUR PACK in my upper abs!!! Of course I ate Meal 1 and they went away but it was extremely extremely encouraging that I'm on the right track. Also I was down in weight. I am now 117.

And I am NEVER hungry. I can't believe how few calories I'm eating and I'm not hungry. I'm sure it's due to the fats he's added. I only did 1 fat serving a day (Udo's Oil, 10 Almonds, etc), but he has me doing some sort of fat with every meal and I'm losing fat and seeing muscle. Life is really good and I'm super encouraged today!!!!

I wish the nightly wine cravings would go away. Its such a psychological thing cuz I'm not hungry at all. It's just a great way to unwind and I now realize that it was really a habit to do that 2 to 3 times a week.

I know I keep saying this but I can't believe I didn't get a trainer before because I'm no longer second guessing my decisions. And I measure everything out and I didn't realize how much I love having this structure.

Everyone needs to go out and get a trainer/dietitian tomorrow!!!! Just kidding

It's a good day. Sure, my car doesen't have brakes and I'm struggling to pay the bills and don't know how I'm going to make it through till the end of the month, but my ass is shrinking, so life is good!!!!!!!!!!!! Ha, ha

Why are you trying so hard to not drink wine??? Its not that much excess carbs to worry about if you cut something out.

It makes a big difference on my physique and it lowers my guard so I want to munch on stuff that I should't (i.e. chips and nuts). I'm sure he'll incorporate some in while in maintenance.

Worked really hard today:

Smith Machine Lunges 3 x 15 ea leg at 25,35 lbs

Standing Barbell Curls 3 x 10 @ 20 lbs

Leg Extension 3 x 15 45 lbs

Preacher Curls 3 sets 12 40 lbs

DB Sholder Press 3 sets 15

Pushups to failure - 3 sets

Reverse Crunches 3 sets to failure

52 minutes Stepmill (Supposed to do an hour but had to pick up the rugrat).

Taking my Xtend throghout the workout. This stuff rocks!!!!!

Glad to be done. Everything is going perfect.

Worked really hard today:

Smith Machine Lunges 3 x 15 ea leg at 25,35 lbs

Standing Barbell Curls 3 x 10 @ 20 lbs

Leg Extension 3 x 15 45 lbs

Preacher Curls 3 sets 12 40 lbs

DB Sholder Press 3 sets 15

Pushups to failure - 3 sets

Reverse Crunches 3 sets to failure

52 minutes Stepmill (Supposed to do an hour but had to pick up the rugrat).

Taking my Xtend throghout the workout. This stuff rocks!!!!!

Glad to be done. Everything is going perfect.

Woohoo! Keep it up girl!

Thanks Veganitaliana!!!

This one is for Zack and his calf envy (hee, hee)...

Seriously, you can have 'em. I'd love smaller calves.

Very nice, I like! You have awesome legs. Legs are sexy, don't get skinny legs.

I'm starting to get a tiny visible calf muscle! I feel like such a champ, even though I'm sure it looks funny with me squatting and my skinny little legs.

116.5 today!!!

I know I shouln't be weighing myself every other day, but the scale calls my name somtimes.

The goal is 110 lbs and/or 12% BF. But I gott admit, if I get to 12% and my butt is still jiggling, I'm gonna go down to 10% just to see if my body is capable of being a complete tight package. I won't stay at 10% though. That wouldn't be healthy for sure.

I'm going to talk to my trainer about taking out some bicep exercises and adding more shoulder though. My biceps develop really fast and he has me on about 4 exercises for biceps and I'd like replace that with two shoulder exercises. I still struggle with behaving blindly but I'm getting better. Hey, I'm seeing phenomenol results in 5 days, so you can't argue with change.