board headache - is it me?

MalcKiera

Hi all,

I signed up yesterday, but I'm having great difficulty accessing the message board. More often than not I just get the blue background screen, with the above 'Home' icon and a white bar and that's it! Reloading doesn't work, and it takes endless faffing around to finally get on the message board. Not really sure how long I'll stick around if it takes so much hassle. Is it me, my browser (I use Firefox) or something to do with how the site's created? I'm totally technically challenged, so couldn't figure this out myself if I tried, so that's why I thought I'd ask.

Hiya, took about half a dozen attempts to get onto the board this time To answer all the questions in one go:

This is the only site (so far) I have trouble with

I have a really fast ADSL connection (maybe too fast? I dunno)

I've got Firefox to allow cookies

I don't really want to use IE because of the virus and what have ya risks. Like I said, I'm technically challenged, at least when it comes to computers, but I've been told several times by people who knw what they're doing that they don't recommend using IE, so I stick with that.

Thanks for your replies guys!

i think it is something specific to your computer billy. when i was staying at yours, i had incredible difficulty accessing this site - i just kept playing with the forward and back buttons, refresh and plain reloading it.

im really not sure how you can resolve it

jonathan

I am a caveman. I know pretty much nothing about computers as most of you know, but "I'll look into it"

I know that is really reassuring

I haven't been in touch with my website guy for months because he moved to a different city and I've been doing some things on my own.

I haven't had any trouble aside from Megan's computer. I used 3 different computers today to test it out and it seems all good.

Thanks for the heads up though. Maybe there is something I need to look into to get it updated or something

Thin Thin Computer Him

I haven't had any problems with this site, thus far, using firefox. Some of the main site displays kind of weird, but the forum is fine. I've also had intermittent problems with some other sites.

Here's a couple fixes I can think of off the top of my head:

• Check the Firefox site to see if there's a newer version than what you're currently using. It may be an issue that's been fixed.

Clear out your internet cache. (Within firefox, go to tools --> options, you'll see a button to clear the cache)

Windows disk cleanup. (Start --> Programs --> Accessories --> System Tools -->Disk Cleanup. Too many temporary files can bog down the system and keep things from displaying properly. Should do this now and then anyway, to keep Windows running optimally.

I was having some problems too until I deleted all the temporary internet files on my hard drive.

I'm assuming you have Windows as the platform on your computer.

Click on Start and go into Settings, then Control Panel. In your control panel folder click on Internet Options. In the General section (1st tab) you will see Temporary Internet Files. Click on delete files and delete cookies.

As Topher mentioned - out of nowhere the forum suddenly stopped loading on my computer, and it's the ONLY website that's doing it. I haven't been on in 2 days due to this! Withdrawal!

But, then today it suddenly seems ok again....I have no idea what's going on. Topher was trying some stuff out yesterday to fix it and nothing was helping, then today, it's ok. Beats me! I just hope it doesn't start being a problem again, I need my forum fix!

There have been some recent issues with a couple of the Tier 1 internet backbone providers, and both Verio and Level 3 have had some downtime in the last week. Also, Level 3 and Cogent have had some contract diputes over Internet Peering, and at times ahve been unable to access each others networks. It could be related to that.