How to say NO

AllIveEverTouched

"Would you like some (nonvegan) candy?"

At my job I'm finding two or three days a week coworkers are offering nonvegan food to me or discussing nonvegan food around me and want input to the conversation. Usually I'll shrug it off as a "no thank you" or "I don't like that" but I'm left feeling like I'm not telling the truth.

It would be wonderful to just say I'm vegan and get into a conversation about why but that's simply impractical. I'm also worried about proclaiming veganism and being lumped into the "other" catagory of their minds (i.e. weirdo).

How do you handle a situation like this and feel properly heard?

"No thanks. I prefer to not support industries that abuse and torture animals and I encourage others to do the same. Plus, veganism is the most optimal diet from a health perspective."

and, if you want to continue, "Each dollar you spend is your power to effect positive change in the world."

That's just off the top of my head. Maybe somebody else can think of something better. sorry.

I've started to acknowledge that being seen as "odd" is more indicative of my personality than trying to "fit in". It's HARD WORK trying to be NORMAL. Unless you truly value the opinion of your ignorant and cruel coworkers, fuck what they think. Especially if they'd write you off because of choosing a compassionate lifestyle. Next time you are in one of the above mentioned situations, I'd say "I eschew animal products". That is usually followed by "welllll.....what DO you eat?????" - which allows you to dispel popular opinion that vegans bathe with carrots, sleep with apples and drive cabbage powered cars. Broach the subject of animal cruelty as you see fit. Speak about companion animals. That gives you a common ground to expound upon. Or, just be incredibly forward. Tell them they are insensitive, moronic assholes who choose ignorance as the path of least resistance.

Your choice.

If you say something like, "No thanks. I go easy on the junk food so I can stay healthy." Most people will respond with something like, "Yeah I should probably be eating healthier too." I personally wouldn't start up a "why I'm vegan" conversation with people over candy, I just don't think it would go anywhere. I would wait until I'm eating a veggie burger in the break room, and then tell them about how good it tastes and how no cows were killed for it, etc..

Im proud being vegan but I absolutely hate social eating and discussions about/around food. I consume food for energy, its a formula to me to grow. and I dont consider animals to be food, they are animals. so when people around me talk about Meat and eggs and stuff like that, I look at them like they are the wierd ones, and I say "dude those are animals" or I suggest "hey why not cook your cat, I bet that would taste good with A-1"

(of course im vegan so i wouldnt eat a cat or really sugest it. Im being fesicious to show them how I feel about when they talk about beef and cows and stuff)

It's HARD WORK trying to be NORMAL.

NORMAL is no aim. Normal, pff - a heart attack is normal, war is normal, crime is normal, egoism, greed, cruelty, fear are normal. I'm not normal - i'm vegan!

Im proud being vegan

I dont consider animals to be food, they are animals. so when people around me talk about Meat and eggs and stuff like that, I look at them like they are the wierd ones

Yea!

Exactly!

PROUD to be vegan!

"No thanks. I prefer to not support industries that abuse and torture animals and I encourage others to do the same. Plus, veganism is the most optimal diet from a health perspective."

and, if you want to continue, "Each dollar you spend is your power to effect positive change in the world."

That's just off the top of my head. Maybe somebody else can think of something better. sorry.

Preachy stuff like that doesn't tend to go over well with a lot of people. If s/he is trying to appear 'normal' to their coworkers, that is certainly not the best way to go about it...

i think the simple 'no thanks, im vegan' usually does the trick. if they then decide to ask you why you are vegan, then it is their choice. you cannot be accused of trying to preach to people.

i do however think that normality is overated , and that many people will respect you more for being an individual, proud of their beliefs...

...just my two cents.

jonathan

I generally say, "no thank-you". If pressed I follow up with "I don't eat junk food".

Most of the time, people will offer it out of courtesy. My no thank-you prompts a response of, "I didn't think you would want candy, but wanted to offer."

Because in all seriousness even if it was Vegan candy I would say the same, I really don't want junk food.

Depends, if you want to share your views and ideals then you can go on about all thats wrong eating animals but if you just want to be left alone then you can use one of my lines.

"Its against my religion" when they ask "what religion are you" just tell them that the first rule of you're religion is to not talk about your religion. That usually freaks them out enough to leave you alone or at least enough so that they won't bring up the subject ever again nor offer you animal products...However, if you use this line you might have eat many, many lunches alone, the plus side of it is you get to catch up on your reading.

Give it a try.

• 2 weeks later...