The Journal of Veggie P (Melissa)

• Replies 340
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

When I gain weight, they are truly the size of thighs. Its from my German heritage and its genetic, period.

Hello Melissa,

i had to put a lot of work in my calves to see little muscle. it is not a nations-problem:-)

But i can understand you. my beautiful wife had the same problems like you.

she is "genetic gifted". by only doing the cindy crawford video with 5 lbs dumbbells, she build big muscles

She go on a low carb & fat &cal diet und get sixpacks abs.

thats sensational for a girl to go on 10% bodyfat.

But that was to extreme, because i can already see her clavicle and pelvic bone.

That was a real heredity-problem.

Edited by jan

When I gain weight, they are truly the size of thighs. Its from my German heritage and its genetic, period.

Hello Melissa,

i am a 100% german and i had to put a lot of work in my calves to see little muscle. it is not a nations-problem:-)

But i can understand you. my beautiful wife had the same problems like you.

she is "genetic gifted". by only doing the cindy crawford video with 5 lbs dumbbells, she build big muscles

She hate it, because she had also muscular claves by doing nothing!

She want's to have skinny legs like alessandra ambrosia (a victora secret topmodel) http://images.google.com/images?hl=en&client=firefox-a&rls=org.mozilla:de:official&hs=DZq&resnum=0&q=alessandra+ambrosia&um=1&ie=UTF-8&sa=N&tab=wi)

She go on a low carb & fat &cal diet und get sixpacks abs.

thats sensational for a girl to go on 10% bodyfat.

But that was to extreme, because i can already see her clavicle and pelvic bone.

That was a real heredity-problem.

Try to talk her out of going for a way skinny look. Muscular women are much hotter. Like Jamie Eason for example:

http://www.weselectmodels.com/view.php?id=964

I would never want skinny legs. Just very very toned and just a little less calf.

I've totally been on target and still working out like a mad women. I just never have my book handy when I sit down. I still have an hour of cardio left today. Yuck I just want to go to bed. He doesen't get treadmill on an incline for an hour today though. I'm walking outside on the weekends! Man, indoor cardio sucks. I miss my outdoor runs!!!!!!!!!! But I won't do anything to sabotage my efforts. I even feel a little guilty for not doing treadmill. I just didn't have time at the gym so I'll have to walk tonight.

Just for the record today was Hams, Abs, Shoulders, Quads.

Try to talk her out of going for a way skinny look. Muscular women are much hotter. Like Jamie Eason for example:

http://www.weselectmodels.com/view.php?id=964

Jamie Eason is gorgeous. I'm kind of in love with her... I met her at the Olympia Expo, she's so sweet.

I really like the muscular, tight, fit look on women. Elegant definition on the shoulders and upper arms is really nice too. I know you can achieve that look!

I think Desiree Ficker looks really great. I remember seeing her run when she was in college and she's incredible. She's a pro triathlete but just as muscular as fitness competitors or light weight body builders.

I think Desiree Ficker looks really great. I remember seeing her run when she was in college and she's incredible. She's a pro triathlete but just as muscular as fitness competitors or light weight body builders.

Yeah Potter is right !!!!

http://www.desireeficker.com/

Have you ever thought about training for tri's instead. You wouldn't have to worry about carbs anymore

I still like this World Ironman Champ Lori Bowden (from Victoria BC)

http://www.trimarket.com/images/2001_bowdenrun.jpg

I agree...these women are perfect examples of the fact that you don't need tons of protein to have muscle. They eat carbs and train with such volume you'd think they wouldn't have any muscle at all but no...they have more muscle than most people that spend hours lifting weights in the gym every day. Some of these women ride 350-400miles a week which is more than I average but at the same time they throw 60-100miles of running per week on top of that, then throw in about 6-8hours of swimming per week. I'm not saying they don't eat protein...they do but they focus on good carb sources first, fat then protein...this seems to be the concensus even for omnivore triathletes.

I agree...these women are perfect examples of the fact that you don't need tons of protein to have muscle. They eat carbs and train with such volume you'd think they wouldn't have any muscle at all but no...they have more muscle than most people that spend hours lifting weights in the gym every day. Some of these women ride 350-400miles a week which is more than I average but at the same time they throw 60-100miles of running per week on top of that, then throw in about 6-8hours of swimming per week. I'm not saying they don't eat protein...they do but they focus on good carb sources first, fat then protein...this seems to be the concensus even for omnivore triathletes.

Josh and I will disagree with you until the cows come home about the need for high protein to build muscle Potter.

I think endurance athletes have different nutrient needs than fitness models, figure competitors and Bodybuilders. I think that this women Desiree is gorgeous and has awesome muscle tone, but I think she is the EXCEPTION to the rule. I think certain people are genetically gifted and prone to naturally build muscle and others have to work on it with high protein.

Robert feels this way too, y'know

I AM 116 TODAY!!!!!!! Yippee.

Haven't felt like posting workouts, sorry, but I'm totally on track, haven't cheated once and keep losing bodyfat and seeing some more muscle tone.

Here ya go (I know, I cropped my face again.... I'm REALLY picky about my pictures but I can totally see a difference from a week ago when I posted the other photo)

If you looked at the 50 pro female triathletes on the circuit you'd find the mass majority of them are as muscular as average pro fitness competitors with maybe a few percent higher fat makeup. They could easily diet down and look just like a natural bodybuilder. Also the can't all be the exception to the rule. You'll be hard pressed to find a single elite triathlete that believes high protein is the ticket...yet none of them are interested in building muscle (most want to lose muscle) but pretty much all of them have more than fitness models while not wanting any of it.

By the way...you look great

I just don't think 1 gram per pound of bodyweight is excessive. 2 grams and up.... yes, but 1 to 1.5 .... not excessive.

Of course, I agree.

It kind of bothers me the way many vegan diets stress low protein. I think it gives the illusion that we, as vegans, can't get in large amounts of protein, and concede with "well you don't need much to build muscle anyway". I used to think that it would be hard to get 200 g protein per day. Not true.... I get 200 g a day without thinking about it, which is slightly over 1 g per pound bodyweight. I eat over 50 g protein per meal, and I'm eating 5-6 times a day, so I have days where I'm easily getting 300 g a day. I find the range of 1.3-2 grams protein/pound bodyweight to be effective for muscle building. So definately not excessive.

Also, you must consider, as VeggiePrincess noted, some of the women that you have mentioned have very different goals then people in the bodybuilding/fitness industry. And even though some of those women might look muscular to you, the look they have is going to be very different than someone who is competing in BBing, according to the judges and the fitness community.

Anyways...

VeggiePrincess, you look great! I can definitely notice the changes!

It kind of bothers me the way many vegan diets stress low protein. I think it gives the illusion that we, as vegans, can't get in large amounts of protein, and concede with "well you don't need much to build muscle anyway". I used to think that it would be hard to get 200 g protein per day. Not true.... I get 200 g a day without thinking about it, which is slightly over 1 g per pound bodyweight. I eat over 50 g protein per meal, and I'm eating 5-6 times a day, so I have days where I'm easily getting 300 g a day. I find the range of 1.3-2 grams protein/pound bodyweight to be effective for muscle building. So definately not excessive.

Also, you must consider, as VeggiePrincess noted, some of the women that you have mentioned have very different goals then people in the bodybuilding/fitness industry. And even though some of those women might look muscular to you, the look they have is going to be very different than someone who is competing in BBing, according to the judges and the fitness community.

The thing is everything we do is excessive. Our training is excessive...our obsession with improvement is obsessive and out diets are obsessive whether that be to minimize or maximize things. I have eaten 12,000 calories a day as a ruitine and that was excessive. It worked for my excessive desires and training. Its all excessive and thats what people like us are all about. As for the triathletes all I'm saying is that they have no muscular goals whatsoever and they diet they eat is to the complete opposite of what most fitness competitors eat...they train in a manner that many would see as depleting of muscle mass yet in reality in the off season when they aren't working on intensity they are even more muscular typically on even less food. I've seen many of these women in person and if they dieted for a week they'd be able to compete onstage with many top level natural BB inspite of the fact they don't even come close to 1g per lbs and the training they do is training you'd tell someone not to do because it makes people lose muscle.

The thing is everything we do is excessive. Our training is excessive...our obsession with improvement is obsessive and out diets are obsessive whether that be to minimize or maximize things. I have eaten 12,000 calories a day as a ruitine and that was excessive. It worked for my excessive desires and training. Its all excessive and thats what people like us are all about. As for the triathletes all I'm saying is that they have no muscular goals whatsoever and they diet they eat is to the complete opposite of what most fitness competitors eat...they train in a manner that many would see as depleting of muscle mass yet in reality in the off season when they aren't working on intensity they are even more muscular typically on even less food. I've seen many of these women in person and if they dieted for a week they'd be able to compete onstage with many top level natural BB inspite of the fact they don't even come close to 1g per lbs and the training they do is training you'd tell someone not to do because it makes people lose muscle.

Great Points Potter. I second this !

So last night was the first night I cheated. I had about 12 oz of white wine and some salty crunchy things. I asked my trainer about it today and he said do 15 minutes extra of cardio for the next 3 days. He also said to get it out of my head and not feel bad about it because that does more harm than the actual cheat does. Something about the brain releasinG cortisol and slowing progress..... thought it was interesting.

I already noticed I needed to increase the weights on almost everything even after 1 week so that felt good. I love my nutritionist and my Xtend!!!

Bent Over Rows

3 sets 10 @ 40lbs (I worked out at the women's gym instead of the big gym and that's as high a barbell as they had. I should have been doing 50 lbs)

Tricep Rope Pulldown

3 sets 10 45 lbs

Skull Crushers & Close Grip Chest Presses with EZ Bar

3 sets 24 @ 30 lbs

Single Arm DB Row

3 sets 10 @ 25 lbs ea side

Calf Raise on Leg Press machine

3 sets 15 @ 80 lbs

50 minute cardio which means I have 20 more minutes to make up at some time tonight. I hate having to break it up cuz I have to have the Xtend everytime I workout so it is more cost effective to get cardio and weight training in at the same time, but oh well.

Triceps feel so weak right now!!

I don't think you need to worry about 12oz of wine so much. Your body probably didn't even notice(weight wise) and it has a lot less calories than your trainer is asking you to burn. Either way a bit of extra cardio won't kill anyone.

What is up with you ladies and your strong triceps.

I suppose mine are just weak!

Two things. I think that the strongest body part is usually one of your favorites to work. Triceps have always been one of my favorites. Two: I am MILITANT on tricep form. On skull crushers, elbows must stay in the whole time. If they come out at all when you lower it to your forehead, your no longer doing it the most effective way possible. Same with Rope Pulldown. The second those elbows leave your waist, your using your back to help you. Same with leaning forward... your using your back to help if your leaning.

My clients probably are always cursing me out when they're doing triceps with me. I never shut up. ha, ha.

Edited by veggieprincess