SeaSiren in Figure Contest Mode

You look great Sea Siren! You've added so much lean muscle tissue this year. I know how much work that takes for a petite female so great work!!!

I REALLY feel like you should go with the solid color. I feel the red, white and blue may distract from your physique and your bringing in such a tight package that I'd hate for it to detract from that.

• Replies 234
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You look great Sea Siren! You've added so much lean muscle tissue this year. I know how much work that takes for a petite female so great work!!!

I REALLY feel like you should go with the solid color. I feel the red, white and blue may distract from your physique and your bringing in such a tight package that I'd hate for it to detract from that.

Thanks so much for the compliments and imput. Makes sense, I'm leaning that way for the bikini part of it.

Again, cut out the drinking too Just call me grandma-I'm so straightedge....

Just wondering SS, do you ever train "to failure" or do you stick to a certain number of sets/reps even if they're easy?

I had cut out the drinking for a while, but made no difference regarding training. My last "vice" so to speak since I am so strict on everything else. But that you for looking out for me!

I do most exercises to failure now.

Sea Sire,

We are following a similar program. Especially our grams of Protein are almost identical (I hired a Dietitian/Trainer last week).

You spoke about the "bloaty" feeling and I know exactly what you mean. I just wanted to mention that at nighttime when I'm supposed to take in 40 grams of protein, I was doing Soy or Pea Protein at night before and woke up with that bloated gut. But last night I went for the Hemp and I woke up with a flat stomach. I actually HATE the texture of the hemp, especially taking in that much in one sitting, but I feel my body processes it immediately. Have you tried this or have you experienced this with Hemp as well?

Sea Sire,

We are following a similar program. Especially our grams of Protein are almost identical (I hired a Dietitian/Trainer last week).

You spoke about the "bloaty" feeling and I know exactly what you mean. I just wanted to mention that at nighttime when I'm supposed to take in 40 grams of protein, I was doing Soy or Pea Protein at night before and woke up with that bloated gut. But last night I went for the Hemp and I woke up with a flat stomach. I actually HATE the texture of the hemp, especially taking in that much in one sitting, but I feel my body processes it immediately. Have you tried this or have you experienced this with Hemp as well?

I have tried hemp in the past, but have a really bad reaction like being kicked in the stomach and am generally down for a couple hours .... I'm thinking this isn't a good thing

Jonathon told me not to go to failure due to CNS (central nervous system) failure.

http://www.muscletalk.co.uk/article-cns-overtraining.aspx

Hello Zack, thanks for popping in and the link! To failure has been debated quite a bit in the industry, as I am sure you know. Right now it's the only thing I have seen results with, especially since I have to stay within 10 lbs of comp weight at ALL times. My comps are every month! So have to be able to drop back quickly. When I go to failure I do all my sets then, drop the weight .... going to failure. Burns really bad/good lol

I'll take another look at my schedule but if I am correct I have a comp in 2 weeks after this then a 2 month break. I'm thinking of "bulking a bit" (for me that prob diff then for most) and incorporation a power lifting routine. With more weight on me I can push more weight and make better gains. I would still have time to begin my cutting routine in time for the next comp after that and the hope is ..... put 1/4" on my legs

Monday:

20min interval training on incline treadmill

Crunches (slight movements)100-30-30

Bench Leg raises 30-30-20

Shoulders

Seated Dumbbell Press Warm-up 12x12x1, 8x15x3, 6x20x1

Lateral Raises using plate 20x10x1 each side

Triceps

Tricep Push Downs Warm-up 12x30x1, 8x40x3. 6x50x1

Skull Crushers Warm-up 12x15, 8x35x4

Stretching

tanning

T-walk practice to chosen music

Yesterday: 20min interval training on incline treadmill

Crunches 3 sets 100, 30, 30

Leg Lifts (lower abs) 30, 30, 30

Bicep curls 12x12x1, 15x8x3, 20x6x1

Cable Pull Overs -50 reps

Wide Grip Pull Downs 12x30x1, 8x40x3, 6x50x1

Bent Over Rows 12x40x1, 8x60x3, 6x70x1

Low Cable Pull (rear delts) 30 each side

Rows - 30 x 40

stretching

Too much going on today to get T-walk practice in Youngest had Fall Fair at school after work and Middle daughter had evening B-Day party have to drive 40min 1 way to go pick her up.

I am officially comp diet stupid as of yesterday! I stared at the vacuum cleaner for about 10 minutes trying to figure out how to turn it on. I packed and repacked most of my orders today, since I kept forgetting things. An basically wandered in and out of rooms all day wondering why I was in the room at all. Even called a few people, then forgot why I actually called. SO from here to comp. I am NOT ALLOWED to make ANY decisions at all! And should not go out in public (i.e. out for anything other then work or training) until after comp.

Today the plan is AM cardio, tanning after work, on to hammer the legs, and practice T-Walks. Out to late dinner (yes still sticking to comp diet), come home to apply first application of tan. I mentioned this in the past but for those unfamiliar, this consists of being painted down with wet and sometimes very cold comp tan and parading around naked for an hour while it dries trying not to touch fabric etc. A handy hairdryer helps a bit but not much. SO glad I have a house full of daughters who are very used to this routine by now, and don't even blink an eye anymore, lol

Was talking to another gal on another BBing board, and agree with here. AM leaning towards the solid bikini for the show.

Here's a shot from last show .... I've put on a little more def for the one on Sat. and I'm wearing the new pink suit this time.

http://www.denisenicole.com/images/104.jpg

Jonathon told me not to go to failure due to CNS (central nervous system) failure.

http://www.muscletalk.co.uk/article-cns-overtraining.aspx

Hello Zack, thanks for popping in and the link! To failure has been debated quite a bit in the industry, as I am sure you know. Right now it's the only thing I have seen results with, especially since I have to stay within 10 lbs of comp weight at ALL times.

This is what everyone needs to come to grips with. There are a million theories out there and every body responds differently. For me, some body parts respond better when worked to failure and others respond better with light weights & lotsa reps so I do both. What works for one person may not work for another so you gotta pick something, stick with it for at least two weeks to a month and see how your body responds.

This is what everyone needs to come to grips with. There are a million theories out there and every body responds differently. For me, some body parts respond better when worked to failure and others respond better with light weights & lotsa reps so I do both. What works for one person may not work for another so you gotta pick something, stick with it for at least two weeks to a month and see how your body responds.

If only there was one formula for everyone .... I would be a millionaire, lol

Yesterday:

AM cardio 20 min interval training on tread.

Late Afternoon:

3 sets of upper ab crunches to failure

3 sets lower abs to failure

3 sets lower back ext, 30 reps each

Leg Ext 2 sets of 20

Leg Press (narrow stance) 1 set of 12, 3 sets of 8 (going up in weight), 1 set of 6 -heavy

Leg Extensions Again - 12 heavy, slow pause

Leg Press - to failure

Squat 1 set 12, 2 sets of 10 (med effort), 1 set of 10 heavy, last set to failure

Lying Leg Curls - 2 sets of 12 (slow effort, squeeze at top)

Super set Calves:

Seated 2 sets of 10 slow reps

Super set with Standing 2 sets of 10

Extreme calf stretch on leg press machine

last tan yesterday, applied comp tan last eve and apparently at some point sat .... fell asleep on the Chaise Lounge. Now how to get it out the fabric.... I have no idea!!!!

Today:

2 cardio sessions, 2 ab sessions, T-walks for the last time. I leave for comp. tomorrow after work. Will attempt another cardio and ab session in the AM.

Need to start packing so not to forget anything!

Great dinner last eve with my soon to be ex. We have been getting along so much better since the separation. More of an understanding of where each other is coming from. He's been staying back with me for several days now. AND (drum roll) is actually attending my comp this weekend. We are discussing reconciliation. But I AM in "ultra blond" mode. AND he knows I'm not allowed to make decisions until after comp. So we shall see.

Best of luck with comp stuff! I always look forward to updates. Be safe, be well, and have fun!

Thank-you!

For those following:

Leave today for comp. Dehydration completes today, no carbs (except for what's in protein shakes), no fruit, no water. Protein Shakes, vitamins, black coffee and whiskey only. This doesn't work for all of us, but found it works for me in the last phase.

One more cardio session today with abs after if I can ... tried to black out yesterday on tread, so we'll see how it goes.

Didn't sleep a wink last eve, not sure why ... think my body is at it's limits now ... where I want it, lol. So been up ALL night ... hope to catch a nap at some point before I leave.

Went into work at 6AM to get orders out without any make-up or even running brush through my hair (just threw it up in a clip). For those who know me well .... that makes me totally comp batty, lol

Funny thing is I am going into this comp at my highest fitness level, but feel the worst. Of course those who follow my journals on the BBing boards are prob aware there is much more going on then comp prep.

Gotta wash some more tan off this AM, managed to get comp tan on the couch ... exactly how do I get that out???? So I am now properly comp tanned (i.e. look ridiculous in person), gotta pack and I'm off. Large show and still "little" compared to the other gals, but I get exposure and modeling jobs since I stand out. So not expecting to "place" but expecting work out of it.

I'll apply another layer of tan tonight at motel, wash off excess in am, two coats or bronzer in AM, coat of posing oil before stage, bronzer and posing oil before PM show.

Chosen comp music for "T-Walks" (evening show): Barbie Girl mix (Barbie Girls, goes into Click Click Boom finishes with I'm a Barbie Girl), Little Red Riding Hood, Ladies & Gentleman, and Foxy. 5 Divisions in all (don't get to choose music for 1). There are NO RULES on my bikini and athletic wear choice (except no thongs allowed at USA shows). So wearing micro bikini for bikini round and "boy shorts" and top for athletic round. I figured the more they can see of the hard work the better, lol Let's see what they say FYI 5 divisions means going on stage 10 times (AM & PM shows) and holding poses (keeping everything tight) each time under hot lights, while dehydrated and totally depleted.

Photo shoot day after comp .... hope comp tan will not interfere with results.

Thanks for all the support from my friends! You all are fantastic!

xx

Denise Nicole

(pics from last comp):

http://denisenicole.com/083e.jpg

http://denisenicole.com/082e.jpg

I'm back! Loved being on stage but must say I am very disappointed in the professionalism of some of the judges and a bit disappointed as well since I could have been competing at another show on another circuit that day. I unfortunately didn't get anything out of this one and am contacting the promoters with my concerns in regards to the above. I feel like I wasted a lot of time, energy, effort, and money.

I (as stated before in my logs) did not expect to place high or even place since I still need to bring my legs up. So when you read this, PLEASE don't read too much into regarding sour grapes.... that's not it AT ALL (It's hard to "hear" tone when one is writing. I'm actually not angry at all, quite calm in fact, lol). What I do expect from a show and judges is professionalism and both positive feedback and constructive criticism... that's how I learn and can improve.

My placings were:

Female Fitness Model 7th

Figure 101 9th

Figure Novice Tall 8th

Figure 35+ 7th

Figure Open Tall 7th

Judges feed back from all the male judges (who were not huddled together) were a couple said bring my back shoulders up a bit more to create more of a V taper, only 2 said bring my thighs and glutes up (I was surprised only 2 said that) 1-said he thought I was carrying too much BF. Positives .... they all said they loved my smile and stage presence, from 2 I have the best stage presence they have ever seen.

From the 2 female judges who stayed huddled the entire show: I started to talk to the first female judge then the other descended on me at the same time, even though I was speaking to her, not addressing all of them (none of the male judges did this). My hands were too stiff (you'll see pictures below and my hands are like many featured on their own website under the criteria) they liked my stage presence the first time I went out but after that it just got "old". They did not like my smile .... and last but not least they did not like the cut of my athletic wear, thought was too revealing (uh the winner wore the same cut as me, not to mention it is the same cut as some of the models on their site and in fact covers more than one of them). They said they ALL had the exact same notes. Not ONE commented on my actual conditioning. I asked the criteria about the figure model division which actually states they are looking for fitness models thet are magazine quality (I do modeling as a side line what I do for a living, and I was the only model there) the bolder one said I was "wrong". She was quite nasty, I have not had anyone talk to me in such a manner before. I guess I am too nice, or was taught well by my elders. But I just smiled and then said thank you. The positive feedback they gave me ...... nothing, not one thing.

The bolder one was also the announcer, we had 80 competitors do stage walks that evening, we all went in order. I was in line waiting and got skipped .... they let the next competitor go while the gentleman lining us up ran to find out what happened, mine was conveniently found dropped on the floor. I asked him if I could add thank-yous like everyone else was allowed too (I asked bold lady judge announcer earlier, and she said no, it was too late even though I had just watch one hand theirs to her). He let me do it (thank-you back stage gentleman).

To top it off, one of the male judges confided in me that the ladies knocked me way back in standings because BOTH scored me WAY lower than any of the men.

I have had female judges in the past, and have never had one be unprofessional, in fact at my first show the female judge was the on who had more scored so high. So this is not a male female thing, I felt it was just so odd at this particular show that that is how it played out. Everyone has opinions, there will be several judges I'll meet in the future, who just aren't going to like me. But I imagine their reasoning will be based on my performance or physique. I really did feel singled out by them. The woman was obviously "someone" since she had so much influence on the other, so I imagine I'll meet up with her again. So once I get her name, I'll know if she is judging a certain show and be able to better choose my shows or at least know she's going to knock me way back.

The people who actually put on the show had everyone hustling and moved the show along quickly, meetings were fast and effcient. They did a great job keeping the show running smoothly! Some of the evening performances by the men were just amazingly well done.

Was thinking of doing the show in DC this weekend, but it's the same circuit. So if Sat is any indication on how it will run, I think I will skip it. The next one is another circuit in a couple of weeks. I've actually been at that venue before, it was very well done.

On a positive note, my photo shoot which followed the comp was awesome!!! I had a blast doing it

Pics from show:

Various Figure Classes

http://www.denisenicole.com/images/ocb13.jpg

http://www.denisenicole.com/images/ocb12.jpg

http://www.denisenicole.com/images/ocb11.jpg

http://www.denisenicole.com/images/ocb10.jpg

http://www.denisenicole.com/images/ocb9.jpg

http://www.denisenicole.com/images/ocb8.jpg

http://www.denisenicole.com/images/ocb7.jpg

http://www.denisenicole.com/images/ocb6.jpg

Fitness Model Line up:

http://www.denisenicole.com/images/ocb1.jpg

http://www.denisenicole.com/images/ocb5.jpg

Myself with my "trainer" and tan applier:

http://www.denisenicole.com/images/ocb4.jpg

Myself with hubby (doesn't he looked thrilled .... he was actually smiling earlier but we were waiting for the shot to be taken, lol)

http://www.denisenicole.com/images/ocb3.jpg

Hubby with my daughter:

http://www.denisenicole.com/images/ocb2.jpg

Edited by SeaSiren

You look great in the pics! I honestly think you are the most beautiful one in any of the photos- you really stand out.

Women can be really weird and catty.... like you've said, not all are, but when they ARE, watch out. I think we're similar.... I don't feel jealous towards other women, and it always catches me off guard when I find out other women are threatened by me in some way. I'm glad we are all supportive of each other here on VBBF.

You look great in the pics! I honestly think you are the most beautiful one in any of the photos- you really stand out.

Women can be really weird and catty.... like you've said, not all are, but when they ARE, watch out. I think we're similar.... I don't feel jealous towards other women, and it always catches me off guard when I find out other women are threatened by me in some way. I'm glad we are all supportive of each other here on VBBF.

Thanks! I've never run into the problem with the female judges at any other venue. Just seemed "odd" to me. The male judges had me placing in all of the divisions and even winning the fitness model. They female "huddle" scored me so low, they knocked me out of the whole thing. Their reasoning is what every other judge I have had said were huge strong points for me. The only reason I know that the ladies were the ones that cost me all the placings, is because one of the male judges was really mad about it.

You look really great!!!! That fuschia is a fantastic color on you. Sorry that you were unhappy with your placing and the way you were treated. I'm glad the photo shoot went well! Will you be posting more pics?

Photo shoot went fantastic! They are all nudes, so perhaps I'll post them with some "black bars" when they come back

The "ladies" comments pretty much roll off me, I've been in the modeling industry to long to let it get to me..... they either love ya or hate ya! What I am learning is which judges do like me and which one's don't care for me. There are so many shows, I can choose accordingly The biggest thing I think was how aggressive she was towards me and how she "lost" my bio "accidentally".

Now what the other judges had to say I totally agree with, because it's what I see in the mirror. Need to bring up the shoulders and back a bit as well as glut es and thighs. I have 2 more comps then a big break, so will bulk (a bit) and powerlift during that time.

Onward and upward, can't wait for my Nov comp! woohoo! It's a venue I have done before and in fact one of their female judges actually had me scored the highest out of all the judges ..... go figure, lol

That's really strange, I wonder why they decided they didn't like you. I think you look great!!! I agree that the pink was a good choice of color, and I also liked the songs you picked!

Apparently, they had a judge "trainee" in between them, so if one didn't like me the group didn't. Just odd they picked me apart for what the other judges liked about me and it had nothing to do with my physique. But that's the way these things go sometimes, so you either keep going or quit. I happen to be one who it rolls off and I keep going!

I answer e-mails and PM's through several sites regarding help for diet and exercise, mostly from women. I have gotten several hate mails from the "well when you get in your 30's and then have kids, your looks will be gone and then what will you do?" Being someone who doesn't upset easily, I do respond to even the hate mail, and am quite nice I might add, lol So many are floored to know I am over 35 and have had so many children. (and they apologize when they find out that, plus my kind response to their pre-judgement of my looks and my character).

It's taking up so much of my time now, that I am selling off my business. My heart was never in that one anyway. And the comps and now modeling is taking me away too much from it to run it properly. My old business needs someone who is passionate about it. I really need to move forward. So I'll be competing, modeling, PTing full time as well as PTing over the Internet, via my site.

That all being said. Back to the grind! This last comp took a ton out me and it took me days to put on any weight, and that was only with several re-feed meals. Yesterday 20min interval on tread. Back to the weights later today. Today will be back to totally clean eating. Undecided about next comp. Wanted to go so badly, but recovery took so long this round (didn't help that I couldn't re-feed and had to stay dehydrated through the following day because of photo shoot). So still undecided. Also have a pending shoot that weekend if that goes through, I'll follow the money instead.

Well if there's one thing competitive marching taught me it's to not care about what the judges put down but what your peers and fans and family say. We were damn good and occasionally wouldn't even make finals in "certain" competitions. Seems like it's the same way in bodybuilding and fitness competitions.

I think the one who said you had too much bf may have been high.

• 5 weeks later...

Lost a bit of time in here. But just going to post from today:

Still suffering from "food hangover" from Thanksgiving! I really didn't enjoy the food that much and ate out of holiday habit more than anything else. Won't do that again ... my body feels simply terrible 2 days later!

Cardio yesterday 20 min interval training.

Was supposed to do WO 3 yesterday afternoon, but after the nail salon was asked out to dinner and a movie .... total disaster! ....the details are so freaking par for course for me anymore, I should come to expect it! Took me a while to realize he was drugged out and drunk ... since ... well I'm "blond" and am not around drugged people much (I think). Luckily I had only had 1 beer when I figured it out, and quickly switched to water and hot green tea. I drove needless to say. Was glad to get home early.

Anyway not sorry I moved my wo today, was even worse off from "food hangover" yesterday, so should have a better session today.

So leaving in 20min for WO3:

Workout 3

3 sets of abs

Dumbbell Curls

Dumbbell Pullovers

Wide Grip Pull Downs

Bent Over Rows

Rear Delts

Rows

Deadlifts

stretching

Meeting my spotter and now boxing coach at the gym. Looks like he will also be traveling as my body guard to some of my functions. The man is bigger (built) than all get out and quite mean looking ..... he'll make an awesome bodyguard ....especially since I know his hear and he's nothing but a big teddy bear, at least towards me anyway, lol

Also planned, evening cardio session. Been eating clean, so hoping this horrible sluggish bloated feeling goes away very soon!

Another from last shoot ..... editor (thank you Richard) stepped in to make it "web friendly" as well

http://www.denisenicole.com/images/bikini_70e.jpg

Sorry we lost a month's worth of info! But we're back in action and looking to recover!

You look great as always babe!

No worries, and thank you!

the details are so freaking par for course for me anymore

You ever lose your optimism about dating?

*insert sarcasm here* Now, whatever gave you that idea?

Yesterday:

Workout 1

Abs: upper and lower 3 sets

Triceps

Pushdowns

Widowmaker with scull crushers 30 reps

Calves

Super Set –3 sets total

Seated Calve Raises

Standing Calve Raises

Rock/Bounce

As you may already know I made the front of T-Nation for "Powerful Images, Figure Competitors", I'll be on the front for a few days then it'll go into the archives. He asked for more, so I may have graduated to a regular feature now

As a result of that and the other mail I generally answer, I answered over 100 e-mails and PM's we lost count .... but closing in on 200 now. I guess more and more people are following / supporting what I do. So I answered e-mails and PM's from 10-4, went to gym, grocery store than weapons training, answered more e-mail until 3A and just now getting to update my journals .... I still have to open two more e-mail boxes this morning.

Several of the e-mails was for modeling offers and I have an phone interview regarding veganism and fitness.

Plans for today:

Finish updating my journals

Answer more e-mail

Shower

Try and get the darn DVD player to work .... something got un-hooked and the girls are supposed to watch a film on the US Civil war for their history lesson today.

Go to retail center for more tear down, and shipping

Post Office, Banking, more errands

Tanning, then home for cardio (or my got to the gym for elliptical)

Start to look through those offers and get to bed at a decent hour (lol, wishful thinking!)

Oh, did accept on offer already .... so looks like I'll begin to cut again.

Oh friend sent me this pic from Halloween party. The place was packed almost to capacity (over 2500) I saw these two and HAD to have my photo with them. Mugotu had his little doggie and Hansel (he's so hot right now) had his scooter .... they were kind enough to pose with me.

http://www.denisenicole.com/images/mogatoe.jpg