fitness belt

nobbi

I have a very weak lower back and as I am using heavier weights now I need to work out with a belt. It helps me a lot. My question is: how tight has the belt to be? I wear it tight, but still comfortable. Does it has to be as tight as possible?

My answer is different from what you might want to hear:

Forget the belt and learn to do the exercises strict without it AND increase your strength in the lower back. Nobody needs a belt while not attempting new maximum lifts, and even on that, some world class lifters don't use belts.

In my opinion, the belt gives you a false feeling of safety and might tempt you to use higher weights than are good for you. Better to build your muscles to hold yourself while lifting. A belt can never replace that.

But if you use it, yes, it should be as tight as possible.

My answer is different from what you might want to hear:

Forget the belt and learn to do the exercises strict without it AND increase your strength in the lower back. Nobody needs a belt while not attempting new maximum lifts, and even on that, some world class lifters don't use belts.

In my opinion, the belt gives you a false feeling of safety and might tempt you to use higher weights than are good for you. Better to build your muscles to hold yourself while lifting. A belt can never replace that.

But if you use it, yes, it should be as tight as possible.

I concur with you. I was about to type almost word for word what you said.

I third the motion to lose the belt. A belt offers a bit more support, but honestly, it reduces your ability to strengthen your core more and therefore does more to keep your back weak. If your lower back is weak, first, make sure you're keeping your form solid (no rounding of the lower back, keep the bar close to your body for rowing movements and deadlifts, etc.) and do a fair amount of work to specifically target and strength the lower back to build it up. If anything throws most people out for injuries in life it is from back problems, so working now to prevent it from getting worse will be something to pay off for the rest of your life.

Do deadlifts, stiff-legged deadlifts, good mornings, hyperextensions, glute-hamstring raises (if equipment is available), machine back extensions, and if you ever get to use one, a reverse hyper machine. All of these lifts or machines will be what you can use to easily make your lower back stronger, so put the effort into building it up because for every day you don't, you're one day closer to potentially throwing it out while lifting!

Ryan

i fourth that motion! i wish that i had never used a belt, as it is so frustrating when you try to give it up!

at the moment i am working on eradicating it, but i cant totally at the moment, as with my job being so physically knackering (lifting 40-80lb boxes and sacks all day long) sometimes i just cannot squat any weight at all unless i put a belt on. o for an office job!

seriously though - dont use a belt!!!!

jonathan