Vegan Bodybuilding & Fitness

Healthy Food Defines You
It is currently Wed Sep 17, 2014 8:53 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 879 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 59  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2007 12:37 pm 
Elephant

I obviously did not go heavy enough on the weights, because I am not at all sore! Today I took Cardio Strength, and of course worked my biceps, triceps, and shoulders a lot. I used 12 lbs for heavy, and 7 for light, but I only used those for triceps. I constantly look at my form in the mirror, so I don't think I'm slacking in that department.

Yesterday before I left the Y I was looking at some registration forms for a 5k in December. I almost got away, but the trainer that's organizing it caught me. So now I will probably do the race. I already run two miles, so it's only like 1 more mile that I need to get used to running. I'm not looking to beat anyone in the 5k, but I also don't want to be the slowest person. I'm also not used to running outside, I live in Florida, and it's too hot, at least until December. I haven't been posting what I eat because right now everyday is pretty much the same. Except today I will be eating a piece of my vegan birthday cake from Whole Foods, and possibly some soy icecream. Yum!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2007 6:25 pm 
Elephant

Today I finally talked my Mom into coming back to the gym. She has a membership, but wasn't inspired enough to come. I am glad that she is finally ready to get back to exercising.

I was not able to run before Step, because we had to return my vegan birthday cake to Whole Foods. It tasted stale! That's what I get for waiting for it all week!! Anyway tonight I will have a cookie instead. Step class was good but today it was quite advanced, I'm surprised the trainer didn't scare any beginners away. I am still not sore from weight training on Friday,or Saturday. That's it for today!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2007 10:06 pm 
Elephant

Every week is pretty much the same for me at the gym right now. This is the schedule as of now, but will change sometime in November.
Sunday: Step Class
Monday: Muscle Toning (did this today)
Tuesday: Muscle Toning
Wednesday: Kickboxing
Thursday:Latin Cardio
Friday: off/ or if I skip another day will do weight training with free weights
Saturday: Cardio Strength
And at least 3 days a week I run on a treadmill, I am gradually increasing the length of time I run. I am planning on a 5k run in December, so I have that to get ready for. I know that's not very far, but it's a start.

This week my schedule will be somewhat changed, as I'm helping Robert at the Central Florida Veg Fest, so I will skip my normal routine on Saturday, but I may have the opportunity to train with Robert, so that will make up for Saturdays missed workout. I also wish to add that I've only been a member on this forum a short time, and I think it's wonderful that I'm already meeting people from vegan bodybuilding & fitness.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2007 7:43 pm 
Elephant

OK my workout schedule has been changed quite a bit this week!
Tuesday I took off.
Wednesday I did Kickboxing,then the same instructor was teaching a half hour abdominal class so I took that too.
Today I wasn't sure what I'd be doing. But I found out a friend was substituting for a Step class, and I hadn't seen her in a while so I went to lend some moral support, then right after I took my usual Latin Cardio class, and I am definitely feeling the legs. I got to the gym right when she was introducing herself to one of my favorite trainers, so I didn't want to take up any of her time before class. Anyway I'm going to eat, and watch tv, relax a bit, and then psych myself up for my workout tomorrow.

Last edited by hsorlando on Thu Sep 17, 2009 2:37 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2007 12:28 pm 
Elephant

Alright, I can finally post again! I didn't think I'd miss veganbodybuilding so much, but it's definitely been a long few days. I'm missing workouts posted for about a month, but if it's possible I know they'll be retrieved. This week has been pretty good for working out, even though I took 2 days off for Thanksgiving. I'll try to remember what I did.
Sunday: Step class(cardio), and Body Pump(barbell strength training)
Monday: BodyPump( I upped my weight for squats, and I think it impressed the trainer)
Tuesday: Muscle Toning (we used 3 sets of weights, I primarily used my heavy weights the entire time)I was a bit out of it because I missed my mid afternoon snack
After MT I met the running instructor and ran for 2.5 miles.
Wednesday: BodyPump
Thursday Thanksgiving my workout was eating some vegan hazelnut cranberry roast, vegan sourdough sage bread stuffing, and lots of other food. Got tons of leftovers still.
Friday: Took an extra day off, it's been a while since I took 2 days off in a row
Saturday: (Cardio Strength) We used a barbell for squats 30 lbs, and biceps 20lbs,light and mid weights for triceps, shoulders, walking lunges
with hammer curls, pushups, dips, and abs and stretching. Since I only ran once this week so far I had to run today, so I ran for 2.5 miles again. If I run on Monday at least I'll have run three times at 2.5 miles, then on Tueasday I'm going to run 3 miles, then I've got approximately 4 weeks until the 5k to work on speed.Well I'm hungry so I'd better get going!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2007 9:53 pm 
Elephant

On Sunday I had to go to my nieces birthday party. She turned 2 years old on the 13th, but my brothers ex had his 2 daughters with her in Texas, which meant he missed his daughters birthday. So we decided to have another small party for her on Sunday. I managed to get to my Step class, but wasn't feeling too great, so it's just as well that I couldn't stay for BodyPump.
Today I took a BodyPump class. I upped the weights for my deadlifts, deadrows, and clean and presses. I'm also getting less tired on the chest presses, so next BodyPump class I will probably move that weight up too.

Right now this is what my barbell looks like. I use 15 lbs to warm up. then for squats I use 35lbs, chest 25lbs, with a drop weight of 2.5 pounds on each side. Back is up to 25lbs, triceps are 15lbs, but will probably go up in the next few classes, biceps are 20lbs. Lunges I hold 2 five pound weights for the barbell, my hands are a bit small so I can't easily hold anything bigger because my thumb gets sore. For shoulders we start with holding 2 weights for lateral raises, then use the barbell for shoulder presses, these are both 5 pounds each side, but the shoulder presses will go up soon. I know this all looks pretty light, but the barbell also adds about 4 lbs. Then after I'm done with the barbell there's abs, and stretching.

Last edited by hsorlando on Thu Nov 29, 2007 9:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2007 8:59 pm 
Elephant

I suppose it would be a good idea for me to be more accountable with what I eat, so I will start a food journal too. For now I will just leave it on this blog. I am not a nutritional expert, but I do my best to eat lots of salads, fruit, nuts, vegetables, beans, some soy products, and whole grain products. I also try to stay away from white processed foods. At this point in time, I don't have a lot of extra money, but I still do my best. I'm not very good at counting calories, protein, fats, etc. but I guess I will get better. I also have a habit of skipping, (not on purpose) lunch, or a snack before I workout. so I hope this journal will keep me in line.

9:00am oatmeal w/ 2 splenda packets, and 1/2 tbls Earth Balance margarine; small banana;and a cup of black coffee

2pm Someone was supposed to drop off my lunch, but they got too busy

3pm: small banana, and 1/2 of a clif bar and a small water

6pm: leftover vegan roast, stuffing,& potato (I used Earth Balance on my potato

9pm: ate a piece of vegan pumpkin pie w/ a bit of vanilla soy ice cream

I'm pretty much cleaning out the fridge of the leftovers from Thanksgiving, and I don't generally have too many foods on hand, but I can see that I need to do a lot better. I drank a lot of water at the gym, but not sure how much, and I guess the Earth Balance was my fat for today.I know it wasn't exactly a good source of fat, but oh well. I'm not sure how much protein was in the food that I ate today.

Last edited by hsorlando on Tue Jan 01, 2008 2:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2007 10:35 pm 
Elephant

Had a good workout, even though I didn't eat lunch. At Muscle Toning I used 5, & 8 lb weights, and a barbell with 2 ten lb weights. I think we started with arms, then legs, back, and then chest. There were rows, deadlifts, clean and presses, skullcrushers, narrow, and wide bicep curls, lunges, squats, abs. There were some different stations around the gym, one was running through cones, and another was jumping over hurdles, we also did jumping jacks, and used the step for some basic moves. Then after the class I ran outside for 3 miles. This is the first time I've gone that far running outside, and I was beat, especially since I was already tired from my weight training class.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2007 9:41 am 
Elephant

Yesterday I had an off day at the gym which sucked. This doesn't happen very often, but I just felt zapped of energy. I thought I'd be fine running 3 miles again, but I was so beat I stopped at 1.5, I push myself a lot, but I felt that I should stop so I did. I did do a BodyPump class, but it wasn't my best class. Oh well I guess everyone has off days! On a side note I did walk over a mile on Wednesday too. I think it might be stress from having to move. I love living in Downtown, Orlando, but due to various things going on, I will be getting a 3 bedroom apartment with my brother, his 2 daughters, and my Mom. The reasons vary, my brothers getting a divorce, and his 2 very young daughters need some stability and to feel safe, and for financial reasons too. But the apartment is pretty big, and I have first dibs on the master bedroom so that's cool. My brothers just not the neatest person, so I'll have to teach him lol. I think the move will be hardest on my cat, he has so many friends where we live now, and he seems to rule this block. Anyway back to my eating journal, which I'm not paying enough attention to.
Wednesday:
B: Oatmeal w/ artificial sweetener, and black coffee
L: Vegan chicken salad sandwich on whole wheat bread (had lots of sprouts,and leafy lettuce, and tomato on it) 2 vegan lemon cookies
S;banana
D:chik patty,rest of vegan stuffing and potatoes,and a small bit of cranberry relish which is too sweet for me
I have not had the time to count calories etc, but when things calm down I will do better! I think I consumed about 50 ounces of water.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2007 9:44 am 
Elephant

6 am: woke up this early because my brother gets off 3rd shift at 6 and I was supposed to go to the leasing office to add my income for the 3rd bedroom apartment. But he forgot!
7am cinnamon raisin bagel w/margarine, coffee
9am:banana and another cup of coffee
12pm:Amy's Enchilada meal w/ spanish rice&beans
4:30:had a smoothie at the gym
6:15pm 2 vegan burgers& brown rice
Protein:about 50 I'd guess
Calories:between 1,200 and 1,500
Water: at least 50 ounces

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2007 9:57 pm 
Elephant

Today I had a pretty good time at the gym. I walked from work, this is around 1.5 miles. I had a smoothie w/artificial sweetener. I was surprised that the smoothie was only 210 calories with it, instead of 420. So after I finished my snack I ran for 3 miles. I'm so glad my energy was back up today, I think I'm also getting less stressed about having to move, so that helped. After I ran I took Latin Cardio, and had fun, it's not as hard as some of the things I do, but like I said I enjoy it a lot. I'm hoping that I will figure out my workout schedule, and be able to run at least 15-20k every week. With all the other classes, cardio, and weight training that I do this should be plenty.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2007 9:03 am 
Elephant

9am:oatmeal w/banana & coffee
11:15 am small orange
1:00pm Amy's Enchilada Meal
6:00pm 2 chik patties and rice
8pm slice of vegan pumpkin pie & cup of tea

I ate really badly today, and I know I need to add a lot of salads, and veggies, but fruit is so much easier to fix. I hope I start eating better, and more consisitently, or else I'll have a lot of vegans on my case lol. Maybe that isn't such a bad thing.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2007 6:51 pm 
Elephant

8:30am oatmeal w/banana 1/2 cup of coffee
10:30am banana
12:45pm chik pattie sandwich on oat bran pita bread
5:30 2 leftover pieces of tomato pie with olives (this was from last Sunday at my nieces birthday party)
7:45 Amy's pot pie ( I know it's prepackaged, but I don't like to cook, and at least it has some vegetables in it)
9:30 finished the last piece of pumpkin pie, it tasted a bit weird, it's been in the fridge a week
So now that I have absolutely no junk in the house I'm going to do my best to not bring any more in. I drank a lot of water today, and I think my calories were around 1,200 or 1,300. I think my calorie consumption is ok, but I need to make a lot more of them good calories.

Last edited by hsorlando on Sun Dec 02, 2007 9:09 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2007 7:05 pm 
Elephant

I had a great workout today. It was a cardio strength class, and this is how it went. The order may not be 100% correct. We also had a substitute instructor, but he's one of my favorites.
Warmup: 5 minutes
squats with loaded barbell 30lbs
lunges with loaded barbell 30lbs
ran drill on outside track: there were two lines and the person at the back of each line has to sprint to the front, we ran around 3 times
did some exercises with a band for our outer thighs/ glutes
chest: barbell was 20 lbs
back: deadlifts, and rows 20lbs
triceps extensions 15lbs (my stupid clips didn't want to come off the barbell, so I missed some of the exercises
biceps: curls 15lbs was way too light
pushups
abs used a 10 lb weight for some of the exercises
After the class I ate a banana and thought about running. I almost talked myself out of it, but then talked myself right back into it. So I ran, but not very fast for 3 miles. This week I actually ran outside four times.I think my total was about 17 kilometers or so. I only hope that I can get a much better running time by 12/28/07 that's the date of my first ever 5k. I don't expect to get super fast, because I do a lot of other things besides running, but I would like my first 5k to be at a somewhat respectable time.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2007 9:10 am 
Elephant

8:30am cinnamon raisin bagel w/ vegan margarine and coffee(I must be losing my taste for these because it tasted weird)
11:30am luna bar (lemon zest) and organic coffee
2:30pm small banana/ water
5:00pm 1/2 clif builders bar (man these are good, I can see why Robert can eat 3 a day, it was all I could do to not scoff down the other half)
9:30pm 2 burritos

Last edited by hsorlando on Mon Dec 03, 2007 1:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 879 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 59  Next