Here I am!

Michelle

Hi! I'm not vegan and not a bodybuilder. In fact, I'm not even vegetarian - yet.

But, that's the direction I'm headed in my health and fitness journey, and this seems like a really supportive bunch of people, so that's why I'm here. (Thanks to a couple of very cool guys who recruited me from myspace!)

I've attempted several times to become vegetarian or vegan, but it's so difficult to do when everyone around me is not. Especially since I've moved to TX, where the general mindset is far from vegan. My best attempts were when I was just coming off of a fast (I've done the Master Cleanser for 10 to 14 days a few times now) but after a few weeks, it gets difficult. A little more education, and I think I'll be ready to try again.

About 10 years ago, I was very much into weightlifting. I was at the gym two hours a day, five days a week. I weighed about 115, and felt the best I'd felt in my life. My best ever bench press was about 90 lbs and my best ever on the leg press machine was 430.

A few years in a sedentary job turned into a few more years in a mostly sedentary lifestyle, then some metabolism issues (thyroid, hypoglycemia, etc) add a bunch of stress to that, and... well, lets just say it might be a long road to get back to where I was at. I've gained 55 lbs and definitely lost most of that strength. I want my body & health back!

Tomorrow, I'll be back in the gym, easing back into it. Wish me luck!

Welcome Michelle!

Especially since I've moved to TX, where the general mindset is far from vegan.

My best online-friend/pen-pal is from Houston, TX! She's an awesome person, vegan, and environmental activist! No matter where you are, you can always find cool, likw-minded people

Have a great workout tomorrow,

Daywalker

Have a fab day in the gym. Remember to take things slow, you're a newbie again. Even if you lift a lot less you'll still grow a lot as your body has "forgotten" it's done weights before, so don't worry about how much you used to lift, this will be day 1 of a whole new adventure!

Welcome to the group

Thanks, everyone, for the welcome and encouragement.

When I hit the gym yesterday, I found out that I have indeed lost lots and lots of strength, but not quite as much as I thought. Maybe all those massages I've been giving have built a tiny bit of muscle?

Even better news, I'm not the only person in my family who's decided to try vegan. Guess I'll have some support at home this time around.

Even better news, I'm not the only person in my family who's decided to try vegan. Guess I'll have some support at home this time around.

Congratulations to both of you for giving this more compassionate and merciful lifetsyle a try, and please come here for support if and when you need it.

CollegeB: NICE PIPES, MAN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• 1 month later...
Hi! I'm not vegan and not a bodybuilder. In fact, I'm not even vegetarian - yet.

UPDATE: This statement is no longer true.

Since I posted my introduction, I've gone from being a "standard american diet" carnivore girl to an "almost vegan" vegetarian girl. Between the support I've gotten from my son (he's 13, and decided to make the switch with me) and all the knowledge and support I've found on this board, it's actually been a fairly easy transition.

Oh yeah, and I've been working out and lifting, lots!

Thanks, everyone!

Awesome Michelle!

Great to hear that. Thanks for sharing that with us. That is one of the best things about these kinds of boards; we can really reach a lot of people and inspire life changes that affect so many people, animals, the planet, etc.

It is very nice to have you as part of our group!

All the best on your vegan quest!

-Robert

Hi. I was the same way when I joined. Not vegitarian (or vegan) or into bodybuilding. But Now I'm vegitarian. Trying to do Vegan as much as I can. I just can't seem to take the damn cheese out of my diet . But anyway, Welcome! And I hope you have a good time!

Kourtney

It's just that stupid cheese.

That's understandable. Cheese products, as it turns out have the highest concentration of casomorphins. Basically a natural and addictive opiate, they reputedly have 1/10 the strength of morphine Nature puts it there to dope the offspring.

Between the support I've gotten from my son (he's 13, and decided to make the switch with me) and all the knowledge and support I've found on this board, it's actually been a fairly easy transition.

Oh yeah, and I've been working out and lifting, lots!

Thanks, everyone!

Michelle!!

I am so HAPPY for you, and your 13 year old son. Wow - you must be so proud to have a child that at 13 seems to be making such great moral choices! How awesome that mother and son have changed to a kinder, gentler and more environmentally friendly lifestyle together!!!!

I have always believed that compassion in children should be nurtured. Society works so hard to condition us to lose our innate compassion.

Great work!! I am so happy for you.