Lisa's pursuit of fitness and good health

I'm glad you're feeling better, Lisa. Good for you doing the tempo workout on your own accord. So far I have mostly sucked at doing that stuff voluntarily. That's why I'm going out to the running group when I can... it forces me to do speed work.

That's funny, I realized I tend to go slower when running in a group, or else too fast. I think I'm going to stick with the training schedules outlined in this book, it expalines why going at different paces are good for you & what each type of workout does. It's only running 3 days a week, so its not hard to get motivated.

Last night I ran by myself again, 6 miles at the Long Tempo Pace. It felt really good & I was actually a little faster than I planned on. Only bad thing was I think my shoes were already shot, my ankles & my left calf were pretty sore afterwards. I knew I should have tried out my new pair!

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That's funny, I realized I tend to go slower when running in a group, or else too fast. I think I'm going to stick with the training schedules outlined in this book, it expalines why going at different paces are good for you & what each type of workout does. It's only running 3 days a week, so its not hard to get motivated.

Last night I ran by myself again, 6 miles at the Long Tempo Pace. It felt really good & I was actually a little faster than I planned on. Only bad thing was I think my shoes were already shot, my ankles & my left calf were pretty sore afterwards. I knew I should have tried out my new pair!

Well, it's not a regular running group, it's mostly competitive triathletes who go out to it so most of them are fast. And we're doing speed work, not jogging.

Good for you on your run. I know what you mean about the shoes... I think my old pair are causing the groin pull, but I've been alternating between them and my new pair (I can't bring myself to wear them in so much snow just yet).

Pamela, I don't know what kind of sneakers you run in, but if I run in the snow I wear my trail shoes, they give better traction & are water resistant. In a race that I did last winter where the trail was covered with ice & snow, a bunch of people had these gripper things that fit over their sneakers too.

Sat morning was the first group speed workout in a while. We ran 6 X 400s with 2 min rests. I ran them faster than expected, which made me happy. It was nice to run with other people.

Sunday I went to the gym. Did 20 minutes hard on the bike and did all my weights for my legs, abs, biceps, and chest.

Lisa, I['m just wearing my regular shoes with "yak trax", which I think are probably the same things you're referring to. I find they work really well. I had bought trail shoes but returned them before even wearing them because I just didn't want the hassle of figuring out if they were going to work or not.

those yax trax sound like what I saw. That was at a race in Reading, PA. It doesn't relaly snow much here in NJ. I've thought about getting snowshoes becsuase they look fun, but I can't justify spending the money on something I might use a few times a year. IF we get snow on one of my shorter running days I'll probably just hit the treadmill at the gym, A long run on a snowy day might mean a trip to Atlantic city, where they plow the boardwalk.

Yesterday the idea of running in the cold windy weather in the dark by myself just wasn't appealing, so I went to the gym for the treadmill.

My plan was to run 7 miles at the same pace I ran 6 miles one day last week. 2 miles in I realized that wasn't going to happen, I felt like I was racing a 5K! I checked my heart rate, just because I could on the treadmill & it was 180. I don't know much about heart rate training, but since it was off the chart printed out next to the screen, I figured I was justified in stopping after 3 miles. I walked for 400 meters, then I did two more 1 mile repeats with 400 m walk in between.

I remember this happening to me trying to run on the treadmill last winter. I think it feels harder to me because it is warmer inside than what I am used to running in. My favorite weather to run is around 50 degrees, so if it's closer to 70 inside the gym I would think that would impact me.

I'm going to look up the pace I ran yesterday as a short tempo or even 5K pace and see what kind of long tempo or distance run it cooresponds to & run 7 miles at that pace tomorrow.

Today I'm going to either swim, row, or bike and train back shoulders & triceps.

Wednesday I swam 3/4 of a mile in 29 minutes. Felt really good, I haven't swam in a while. I could've kept going, but I didn't want to push it, my shoulders were starting to get tired. Then I did weights: back, shoulders, triceps.

Yesterday I ran 7 miles on the treadmill. The was really slow, but my effort felt right, the las tmile was challenging. I didn't mind the treadmill as much as I thought I would.

No workout today. I have a 4 mile race tomorrow.

Let us know how your race goes!

It went well! I really only treated it as a tempo run, but I got a medal for being third in my age group! I think there was only three women in my age group there, but hey, it was still cool! I averaged a few second more per mile than the 3 mile tempo run I did outside about a week ago, so I think my theory about running indoors on the treadmill being harder is right.

Yesterday I biked for 30 minutes & did abs & legs. Today I'm going to do my speedwork, probably 800s.

It's probably harder psychologically to run on a treadmill, at the very least. It's funny to me how originally I was anti- running outside, and now I can't imagine running inside!

Congrats on the race. It's always fun to get some hardware.

I'm going to start focusing seriously on speed work in January. For now I'm just running as much as I can. I'd like to get 70 km (43 miles) in this week!

I'm starting to really enjoy the treadmill, the only trick is picking out the correct pace! I don't know, I guess I am a weirdo. But my mileage is only at 16 miles per week right now, so that could have something to do with it. 40+ is pretty impressive, I only hit mileage like that when training for a marathon!

So yesterday I did 2X800s before realizing they were too fast, then 5X400s, all with 400 RI. Today is my swim day, then chest & biceps, maybe a little more if I'm feeling ambitious.

Yesterday I biked for 40 minutes and did abs, back, and shoulders. I finally went up on the weights for my shoulders a little so that made me happy. But I weighed myself for the first time in a while & realized my weight crept back up a little. I have been eating a lot of junk lately going to parties & snacking here at the office. I'm going to be better about that. I think weighing myself frequently will make me more accountable.

Today is my day off. My legs feel good though. I find it interesting that biking on sore legs tends to make them feel better the next day. I think it helps them recover more than complete rest. I have my work Christmas party tonight. I already know I can get a salad & spaghetti marinara, but I'm going to have a healthy snack before I go to curb my appetite. Tomorrow I may run a 5k or I may do the 8M run that I should have done Wednesday.

Saturday I had a really good run: 8 miles outside. I did the first two at a slow pace with my dogs, the next 4 comfortably on roads & a dirt path, then the last 2 I did on the track and really pushed the pace. It felt really good.

Then in that afternoon my husband & I went to this wildlife refuge in my town. I've been wanting to check it out since I moved here. We "adopted" a fox, basically paid for his food & care for a year & we will get a photo & certificate in the mail. And in the spring I'm going to sign up to volunteer

Yesterday I did weights for my legs & biked 35 minutes. Today I'm going to swim or row and do chest and biceps.

Monday the pool was full so I used the row maching for 15 minutes, boy is that thing boring!!! Especially since I didn't have my ipod with me & the gym plays crappy music. Plus the row machines are in the corner & you can't look around as much as when on the treadmills or bikes. Then I worked my abs, chest, and biceps.

Yesterday I had a good run on the 'mill. One mile warm up & 4 tempo.

wow I really crashed & burned!!! I think my training paces have been too fast. I jogged a couple miles with the dogs saturday, then swam at the gym for a half hour sunday, but other than that, just took some long walks and caught up on sleep. I relaly needed it. I'm feeling much better today & am going to run 1600s at a sensible pace after work instead of killing myself!