HSOrlandos 2013 Journal: Being vegan in a non vegan world

Today I had a pretty good time at the gym. I walked from work, this is around 1.5 miles. I had a smoothie w/artificial sweetener. I was surprised that the smoothie was only 210 calories with it, instead of 420. So after I finished my snack I ran for 3 miles. I'm so glad my energy was back up today, I think I'm also getting less stressed about having to move, so that helped. After I ran I took Latin Cardio, and had fun, it's not as hard as some of the things I do, but like I said I enjoy it a lot. I'm hoping that I will figure out my workout schedule, and be able to run at least 15-20k every week. With all the other classes, cardio, and weight training that I do this should be plenty.

• Replies 878
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

9am:oatmeal w/banana & coffee

11:15 am small orange

1:00pm Amy's Enchilada Meal

6:00pm 2 chik patties and rice

8pm slice of vegan pumpkin pie & cup of tea

I ate really badly today, and I know I need to add a lot of salads, and veggies, but fruit is so much easier to fix. I hope I start eating better, and more consisitently, or else I'll have a lot of vegans on my case lol. Maybe that isn't such a bad thing.

8:30am oatmeal w/banana 1/2 cup of coffee

10:30am banana

12:45pm chik pattie sandwich on oat bran pita bread

5:30 2 leftover pieces of tomato pie with olives (this was from last Sunday at my nieces birthday party)

7:45 Amy's pot pie ( I know it's prepackaged, but I don't like to cook, and at least it has some vegetables in it)

9:30 finished the last piece of pumpkin pie, it tasted a bit weird, it's been in the fridge a week

So now that I have absolutely no junk in the house I'm going to do my best to not bring any more in. I drank a lot of water today, and I think my calories were around 1,200 or 1,300. I think my calorie consumption is ok, but I need to make a lot more of them good calories.

Edited by hsorlando

I had a great workout today. It was a cardio strength class, and this is how it went. The order may not be 100% correct. We also had a substitute instructor, but he's one of my favorites.

Warmup: 5 minutes

squats with loaded barbell 30lbs

lunges with loaded barbell 30lbs

ran drill on outside track: there were two lines and the person at the back of each line has to sprint to the front, we ran around 3 times

did some exercises with a band for our outer thighs/ glutes

chest: barbell was 20 lbs

back: deadlifts, and rows 20lbs

triceps extensions 15lbs (my stupid clips didn't want to come off the barbell, so I missed some of the exercises

biceps: curls 15lbs was way too light

pushups

abs used a 10 lb weight for some of the exercises

After the class I ate a banana and thought about running. I almost talked myself out of it, but then talked myself right back into it. So I ran, but not very fast for 3 miles. This week I actually ran outside four times.I think my total was about 17 kilometers or so. I only hope that I can get a much better running time by 12/28/07 that's the date of my first ever 5k. I don't expect to get super fast, because I do a lot of other things besides running, but I would like my first 5k to be at a somewhat respectable time.

8:30am cinnamon raisin bagel w/ vegan margarine and coffee(I must be losing my taste for these because it tasted weird)

11:30am luna bar (lemon zest) and organic coffee

2:30pm small banana/ water

5:00pm 1/2 clif builders bar (man these are good, I can see why Robert can eat 3 a day, it was all I could do to not scoff down the other half)

9:30pm 2 burritos

Edited by hsorlando

I worked out a lot today. First I did a Step Class, and I sweated a lot. I also managed to keep up with the choreography too, I really like this class for the cardio that I get out of it.

Then I had an hour and a half before Body Pump, so I read more of The Thrive Diet. I'm enjoying it a lot, and learning a bunch too. I also had a banana inbetween classes, and a lot of water.

I went up in weights for a few things in Body Pump. I upped the warmup weight to 10 lbs each side, instead of 7.5. Squats are the same, so is chest,and back. Triceps are up to 20 lbs, and everything else is the same. I feel good, and I know that because of Body Pump I am getting stronger.

!0:00am organic coffee & a vegan cinnamon bun at Dandelion Tea

I need to get back on track, this week I've been packing, and I have had no time to prepare any food in the kitchen. I am so sick of eating badly, all I want is a nice big salad. It is so nice that I actually crave food that is good for me instead of junk food. It's going to take some getting used to living with my brother and his 2 daughters, they are not vegan. I'll just have to have my own cupboard and part of the fridge for my food, I intend to start the Thrive Diet, or at least add a ton of foods from it.

5:00pm half a Clif builders bar

7:45pm vegan steak strips, brown rice, and italian beans

I was at my brothers all afternoon, and there was nothing to eat. I finished my Clif bar before I worked out so I would have something in me. It seems we will be moving into the 3 bedroom on Wednesday so I'm hoping that I will be able to concentrate more on what I eat once we've moved. Besides more salads, vegetables, and fruit I would also like to add quinoa, flax, and maybe some lentils to my diet. I guess this means I will have to be in the kitchen more, it'll definitely be worth it though since I'll be eating better.

I had a great workout today, well almost every time I workout it's great. Anyway I did Muscle Toning, and we did some cardio on the track which included deep lunges touching the ground, squats,skipping,and high knees jogging. With the weights we started with light. I used 6 pound weights and we did a lot of shoulders, and some triceps, then medium were 8 and we did more shoulders, rows, some chest, and biceps, squats, and my heavy weights were 12 pounds, and we did more shoulder raises, lateral raises, bicep curls, chest, rows, and tricep extensions. I think that about covers it for the class. Then I ran with the lady that does the running group, and did 3 miles. She says I am getting better, and I guess she knows what she's talking about as she's been running for 20 years.

I am finally getting back to Kickboxing today, and I'm still in the process of moving. I'll update later on.

8:30am oatmeal & coffee

12:00pm tofu scrambles, and pancakes

6:00PM vegan burger on oat bran pita bread w/ tomato and lettuce and carrots and hummus

Edited by hsorlando

It was a lot of fun to do kickboxing again. I've only missed 2 weeks of doing it 1 day a week, but I felt it in the class today. Although I do a lot of strength traing and cardio workouts kickboxing is a bit different. My arms are a lot stronger due to Body Pump, and same for my legs, but my kicks and punches tired me out quite a lot today. I am still a little sore from my workout on Tuesday, I think it's from the squats that we did outside on the track, I guess I'm going deeper than I used too. Anyway I can feel that I am progressing which is my overall goal so that's good. Today I am still moving stuff to the new place, but hopefully will take a break to go back to the gym, and do latin cardio. I wonder how my legs will feel tomorrow. I was going to run tonight, but I plan on perhaps doing a free weights workout tomorrow,(not legs) and will probably just run tomorrow instead.

I took a break from moving stuff and went to latin cardio. I sort of wish I hadn't because they filmed the class, this is like the 3rd time they've filmed this class, and I'm always in the front and I can't dance very well so it can be embarassing. Oh well I think the majority of the class have 2 left feet too, so I wasn't the only one that made a fool of themselves!

9:00am a small bowl of oatmel & coffee

I am going to move my computer later today, and I don't know when I'll get the internet hooked up, I hope it'll be Monday at the latest, but I don''t know. So I probably won't be posting again unitl next week. Maybe I'll write everything down so I don''t forget. Later!

Edited by hsorlando

It's been a crazy weekend. Every day I moved lots of furniture, but I still managed to get to the gym and do some weight training. I didn't have any internet access over the weekend, but they hooked us up today. I'm glad I didn't have to wait any longer. Like I said it was very hectic these past few days, so I was in no way concentrating on what I was eating. I didn''t eat junk, but I didn''t eat frequently, and it wasn't always the best choice. When I move again I am hiring someone!

Today I got back to a somewhat normal routine. I walked to the gym after work and took muscle toning. The room that most of the classes are in is getting refinished so we were in part of the gymnasium. It smelled a bit weird, like chemicals, so we worked outside on the track. There were lots of squats,and running up and down the hill. We also did bicep curls, lateral raises, lunges, skipping around the track,rows,shoulder raises, cheerleaders (overhead presses with palms facing each other).Then we went back inside and worked chest,hamstrings,glutes, and abs. Then I ran for 3 miles. Of course when I was running a lady from the class honked her horn at me, so I waved, and tripped and fell. But I wasn''t hurt at all so I continued running. Aside fromall the bruises I received moving furniture, and boxes, now I have scraped knees too. I won't be able to wear shorts for a month because people will think I was thrown down a flight of stairs. It seems to me that this was an accident prone day. Hopefully tomorrow will be better.

I don't think I can remember all my meals this past week, but here is what I've been eating lately. Just remember I've been concentrating on moving, and not eating.

Sunday:can of mandarin oranges, clif builders bar, ate out at Garden Cafe, I ordered the cashew chicken with brown rice, chocolate chip cookie

Monday: Oatmeal w/banana & coffee, burritos,vegan chocolate chip cookie, vegan turkey sandwich on pita bread w/spinach, carrots,

Tuesay: oatmeal, coffee, rest of my cashew chicken,banana,vegan sausages in whole wheat pita wrap w/lettuce, some canned fruit in natural juice

Workouts for past few days, besides the workout I got from moving these past 6 days

Saturday:Cardio Strength, I don't remember what I did, but I needed the break from everything else

Sunday:Step, and BodyPump

Monday:Missed the BodyPump class due to my soon to be ex sister- inlaw, she had to get her stuff from my brothers place, and it took way too long

Ok, my computer has been acting up, and it only took me 3 days to figure it out. I had to put the correct date, because after I hooked it up it said it was January 2007, and that's probably why I haven't been able to view my posts that were in December 2007! I am not a computer genius obviously lol.

Anyway I have been a bit off this week with my workouts, haven't had much energy. I think all the moving I did finally caught up to me. And maybe after I fell my body may have been telling me to rest a bit. Yester day I took a Body Pump class but like I said didn''t have much energy, and was a bit sore from tripping on Tuesday.I was mad at myself cause I had to stop a few times, when we were doing chest. I think the trainer knew something was off, of course all she had to do was look at my legs to see all my bruises. I had to wear shorts, because my workout pants ripped when I fell.

Today I got up early, had a cup of organic coffee, ok I had 2, and visited with my Mom for a bit. It seems now that we're all living together I see her less. Then I went to the gym, and did kickboxing.We didn't use wraps, or gloves, but it was a tough class. We used jump ropes, which I hate, did lots of pushups, including tricep pushups, did lots of punching, and kicking moves, and abs. I still wasn''t 100% but did ok. Then after work I walked to the gym,and read the Thrive book for 2 hours before I took Latin Cardio. I thought I might run, but my ankle is still a little sore. So tomorrow I will take a rest day, and hopefully by Saturday I will feel up to running again. I hate it when something comes up keeping me from my usual workouts, but I'm not going to "not" listen to what my body is telling me. And when I spoke to the running trainer she didn't think missing a week of running (last week) would set me back at all, since I still did a lot of other stuff. I just hope my time gets faster, I feel as slow as a turtle right now.

Friday was a rest day, and I felt a lot better today because of it. My workout got changed because I got to the gym after the class started. So I ended up working out by myself. I did chest, and back, it wasn't the most awesome workout, but it felt good.

warm up on the Precor for 10 minutes

Benchpress: 15 reps 15 pound db (flat bench)

bent over rows: 15 reps 15lb db

benchpress:12 reps 20lb db (flat bench)

bent over rows: 15 reps 15 lb db

bench press 12 reps 20 lb db (flat bench)

bent over rows 12 reps 15 lb db

chest flys palms out 12 reps 12lb db 3 sets

seated row: I think it was about 40 lbs 3 sets

deadlifts 20 lb db 12 reps 3 sets

chest flys with palms facing each other 12 reps 12 lb db

abs and stretching

I haven't been eating as well this week, and I think that may be the main reason I haven't been up to running. Whatever it takes I plan to run tomorrow before BodyPump!

I had a really good workout today, but I also had some mishaps too. I skipped Step because it was a substitute trainer, and I don't feel that I get the workout I should when he teaches. I got to the gym early enough to run before BodyPump so I did. But that's not all I did, I also fell again, and almost in the exact same place too. Just so everyone knows I am not a total clutz! I think I've just done a lot lately,and moving was the final straw. Anyway aside from falling, and my shoe getting untied I think I'm getting faster. After my run I did BP, and really felt it in chest, and triceps. I think my chest press is heavier, now I'm doing 30lbs, 15 on each side, with a drop weight of 5 on each side. Triceps are up to 20 lbs total, and I think I may move my squats up to 20 on each side for a total of 40. After the class I overheard that the room that we usually have group classes in was ready to be used again. Long story short I ended up going back to the gym to help reset up the room. I must have lifted well over 1000 pounds in weights and equipment. My help was much appreciated as I was one of three people doing the work. And I've been told by the group exercise director that he owes me, so I'll have to keep that in mind. Everyone I know (family, friends) thinks I'm crazy that I love being at the gym so much, but I feel like I belong there, I love the whole feeling of the place. And I've also noticed that almost all gyms have that same gym smell of cold hard metal, equipment, machines, sweat and determination, etc.

8:30 am organic coffee & breakfast sandwich on sourdough w/vegan bacon,tomato,veganaisse, and some hummus and a few tortilla chips on the side (I went to a vegetarian/vegan place and tried one of their new breakfast items)

1pm Amy non dairy vegetable pot pie/water

3pm banana/water

5:30pm luna bar (smores)

8:00pm mango, black bean vegan "Kashi" meal/ unsweetened applesauce

Edited by hsorlando

Yesterdays workout was terrific, even though I was a bit tired from helping set up the room the night before. It was another BodyPump class, and I think I almost got to failure on 1 or 2 exercises, at least I know I'm working hard. I was also probably tired from being at the mall for 3.5 hours with my brother, and his 2 daughters. We wouldn't have been there that long, but we had to wait for the girls Mom to come and pick them up. My brother feels the need to have his family with him when he has to face his ex. I for one would like to drop a few 20 pound weights on her head, maybe that would knock some sense into her. Anyway I didn't have any opportunity to eat before my workout, so I ended up scoffing down 1/2 a luna bar before class. I can't wait until everything dies down a bit, so I can really concentrate on my diet, and not feel like I'm being selfish in doing so. In the class I lowered my weights for chest by 5 pounds, because of the night before. But I could definitely feel that weight was getting a bit easier for me. I really am amazed at the progress I've made in this class, I highly suggest it for anyone interested in group fitness classes.

Ok, today was Muscle Toning, and this may be my last class with this instructor, she's moving to NY early 2008, I know she'll be missed. She may be the toughest trainer at the gym!

Anyway for the class we used a leg band, steps with extra risers, a stability ball, mat, and 3 sets of weights, I used 5 (which were way too light),8, and 12lbs.. We started with light weights, and did a lot of bicep curls, lateral arm raises, shoulder presses,and doubled the amount of risers under our steps for a total of 4 on each side, and did step ups with a bicep curl. Then medium weights and pretty much the same thing, but added some triceps. Heavy we added chest, and triceps and pretty much did everything again but less reps. Then we went outside and used our bands and shuffled down the track, and then returned. We also did abs, and pushups, and stretched. My right shoulder hurt a bit and I really felt it in the pushups.

I didn't run tonight becsaue I'm going to meet the trainer on Thursday instead, and I'm getting tired of falling. I told the trainer yesterday when I saw her at the gym, and she said she falls a lot, and it must be rubbing off, ha ha. Anyway I know I'm doing better, and I may possibly run tomorrow if I dare!