Vegan Bodybuilding & Fitness

Healthy Food Defines You
It is currently Sat Oct 25, 2014 9:06 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 66 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2007 2:49 am 
Manatee

Good training man, looks like your pretty strong.

LongTimeVegan wrote:
[Flat DB Press: 4x8 with 80lb DBs
DB Pullovers: 4x8 with 60,60,55,55lb DBs
(These excercises were Superset with no rest between excercise 1 & 2, then 2-3 minutes rest before beginning again)

I love to supperset benchpress with pullovers. Never done any supersetting before starting this program I'm on now, really cool stuff! I also like tri-sets, no need for cardio!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2007 4:25 am 
Manatee

Yeah, supersetting really gets the heart pumping. In about a week I'll be changing my set structure to 4 excercises per superset, in a 5x6 set structure. I'll do that for two weeks before beginning my cycle over again. The exhaustion these giant supersets induce makes it difficult to focus as clearly, so I usually lower my weights a bit to keep myself from getting hurt.

Sunday December 16, 2007:

Seated DB Curls: 4x8 with 40lb DBs
Lying Tricep DB Extension: 4x8 with 30lb DBs
(These excercises were Superset with no rest between excercise 1 & 2, then 2-3 minutes rest before beginning again)

Concentration Curls: 4x8 with 35lbs
Tricep DB Kickbacks: 4x8 with 30lbs

Reverse Grip EZ Bar Curls: 4x8 with 70lbs
Dips (Tricep Emphasis): Bodyweight for 15,15,15,12 reps <<< :D

Seated DB Overhead Press: 4x8 with 55lb DBs (only made 7 reps on last set)
DB Lateral Raises: 4x8 with 30,25,25,25lb DBs(These excercises were Superset with no rest between excercise 1 & 2, then 2-3 minutes rest before beginning again)

I took yesterday off because my shoulder was still hurting a bit. I knew I wouldn't be able to do overhead presses like that. :? My chest was really sore, which is unusual for the day after. Usually it's the second day after the workout that I get sore.

As for tonights workout; Many of these weights are new as of last week. I am getting comfortable with them and trying to be as strict as possible with my form. I did quite a few dips tonite. I'm sure this is a personal best. :D The last time I could do anywhere near this many reps, I was weighing closer too 180lbs. I REALLY need a dip belt!!!

-Chris

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2007 3:19 am 
Manatee

Monday December 17, 2007:

BB Squat (warm-up set): 135lbs x 8 reps

BB Squat (to parallel): 4x8 with 215lbs <<< :D
Lying Machine Ham Curl: 4x8 with 120lbs
(These excercises were Superset with no rest between excercise 1 & 2, then 3-4 minutes rest before beginning again)

Straight-Leg Deadlift: 4x8 with 185lbs <<< :D
DB Lunges: 4x8 with 55lb DBs
(These excercises were Superset with no rest between excercise 1 & 2, then 3-4 minutes rest before beginning again)

Plate Loaded Incline Leg Press: 4x8 with 380lbs
Standing One-Leg Machine Ham Curl: 4x8 with 45lbs

Seated Machine Calf Press: 4x15 with 400lbs
Standing One-Leg Calf Raises: Bodyweight for 12,10,8,6 reps
(These excercises were Superset with no rest between excercise 1 & 2, then 1 minute rest before beginning again)

I was not very motivated today, but I sucked it up and worked really hard. I'm really happy about squatting 4x8 with 215lbs. That last set was brutal... I have never come so close to failure as I did on the last rep. :shock:

When I was warming up, I was amazed at how light 135lbs is starting to feel. Unfortunately, 215lbs still feels ridiculously heavy.

I'm also pretty happy about my Straight-Leg Deadlift. I'm pretty sure 4x8 with 185lbs is a personal best as well. This is by far my most dreaded superset. My forearms are so fatigued as I near the end of the Lunges that most of my mental focus goes into my grip, not my legs. :?

I don't go super heavy on the Plate Loaded Incline Leg Press Machine, but I do go pretty deep (legs touching chest at bottom of rep). These were surprisingly hard... my legs were really rocked from those squats and lunges.

Earlier in the day, I strained my left wrist which is making me a little nervous about my chest/back workout tomorrow... Hopefully it will be all better tomorrow morning!!!

-Chris

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2007 4:12 am 
Manatee

Tuesday December 18, 2007:

DB Flat Press: 4x8 with 85,85,85,90lb DBs (only made 7 reps on last set) <<< :D
One Arm DB Row: 4x8 with 90lb DB

Incline DB Press (Palms In): 4x8 with 75lb DBs
Close Grip Cable Row: 4x8 with 160lbs

Supinated Close Grip Pulldown: 4x8 with 180lbs
Incline Cable Crossovers: 4x8 with 50,60,60,50lbs
(These excercises were Superset with no rest between excercise 1 & 2, then 1 minute rest before beginning again)

Incline Bench Reverse DB Flys: 4x8 with 20lbs
Seated Plate Loaded Calf Press: 135lbs x 15,15,12,12 reps

Flat Pressing 90lb DBs is a PB for me! :D I did my one-arm DB rows on the flat bench tonite so I could get extra strict. I always pause for a moment at the top of each rep, and avoid using momentum, but lately when I've been doing these, I've been using the DB rack as support.

Palms-in incline press seemed really hard! I usually do incline press first, then flat press. I decided to switch it up tonite. Good numbers on everything else tonite. Overall, I'm happy with my progress.

-Chris

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2007 1:59 am 
Manatee

Wednesday December 19, 2007:

Incline Bench DB Curls: 4x8 with 45,45,45,40lbs <<< :D
Tricep Cable Pushdown: 4x8 with 80lbs

Hammer DB Curls: 4x8 with 35lbs
Overhead DB Tricep Extenstion: 4x8 with 70lbs

One Arm DB Preacher Curl: 4x8 with 30lbs
Close Grip Palms-In DB Flat Press: 4x8 with 65lbs <<< :D

Standing Overhead BB Press: 4x8 with 95,105,105,95lbs (only 6 reps on 3rd Set :? )
Upright Rows: 4x8 with 75lbs
(These excercises were Superset with no rest between excercise 1 & 2, then2-3 minutes rest before beginning again)

PBs on Incline Curls and One-Arm Preacher Curls tonite! :D Also new weight on the Palms-In Close grip DB Flat Press! Standing overhead presses were weak tonite. My delts were slightly fatigued from yesterdays workout.

-Chris

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2007 5:07 am 
Manatee

Thursday December 20, 2007:

Wide Stance BB Squat (to parallel): 135lbs x 8 reps (Warm-up Set)

Wide Stance BB Squat (to parallel): 4x8 with 185,205,205,185lbs
DB Lunges: 4x8 with 55lb DBs
(These excercises were Superset with no rest between excercise 1 & 2, then 4-5 minutes rest before beginning again)

Machine Leg Extension: 4x8 with 120,130,130,130lbs <<< :D
Seated Ham Curl Machine: 4x8 with 240lbs

DB Squats (to parallel): 4x8 with 100lb DBs <<< :D
Lying Ham Curl Machine: 4x8 with 120lbs
(These excercises were Superset with no rest between excercise 1 & 2, then2-3 minutes rest before beginning again)

Standing Calf Machine: 8 sets of 15 with 120lbs (only made 13 on last set)
(60 seconds rest between each set)

Some guy nabbed the empty squat rack just as I was walking in the room, then proceeded to set it up with 225lbs and do 6 reps of 1/3 squats. :roll:

Then he walks over to the Smith machine and starts setting it up...

I ask if he's done with the squat rack and he replies "he, he, I'm too lazy to squat tonite." I reply by asking "Are you also too lazy to clean up?". :D I normally wouldn't have said anything but there is something about guys who do 1/3 squats that just annoys the hell out of me. Especially when their next excercise includes a Smith Machine.... :roll: LOL

I feel better now that I've vented. :D

So the other day when I was doing regular squats I noticed that my stance wasn't much narrower than when I'm doing Wide-Stance "Ballet-Squats". Tonite I made a real effort to widen my stance a bit. I wasn't able to lift quite as much weight this way, but my legs weren't about to buckle inward like they were last week :wink:. Have I mentioned how much I love supersetting squats and lunges?

I was pretty rocked after that, and was very happy to be doing excercises that involved sitting down. I am making slow but steady progress on the leg-extension machine. I do this one without momentum and hold the contraction for 1 second at the top. I think I will be able to move up weight on the seated ham curl next workout. There's only three more plates before this machine is maxed out. I guess I'll start doing it with one leg at a time when I max it out.

I was planning on trying 95lb dumbbells tonite for my DB Squats, until I discovered that my gym only has DBs in 5lb increments up to 90lbs. The rest are in 10lb increments (100,110,120). "Oh, well, I guess I'll try the 100lb ones..." :D I tried saying "ain't nuttin but a peanut" (in my head of course) but they didn't seem any lighter. Also tried "ain't nothing to it but to do it". That was slightly more effective, but not outrageusly so. Bottom line: I made my 4 sets of 8 reps. Thats 20lbs heavier than my old PB for this excercise. Yeah buddy.

Knocked out the calf raises with strict 60 second rest periods.

I am starting to see some improvement in my legs, which is nice. I have a goal of squatting 225lbs for 4x6 reps. I think I may reach this goal within two weeks. I've been moving up in weight every week, but these are just numbers, and that's not nearly as motivating as seeing my muscles grow. :D

-Chris

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2007 3:47 am 
Manatee

Friday December 21, 2007:

Incline DB Press: 5x6 with 85,85,85,85,80lb DBs
One-Arm Bent Over Row: 5x6 with 90,90,90,90,85lb DB
Flat DB Press: 5x6 with 80,80,85,85,80lb DBs (only made 5 reps on sets 4 and 5)
DB Pullovers: 5x6 with 60lb DBs
(These excercises were superset by performing excercises 1-4 with NO REST between excercises, the 2-3 minutes rest before beginning again)

Pullups (bodyweight with pronated medium wide grip): 5,6,6,6,4 reps
Incline DB Flys: 5x6 with 50lb DBs
Seated Rear Delt Machine: 5x6 with 135lbs
Seated Plate Loaded Calf Press: 5x12 with 135lbs
(These excercises were superset by performing excercises 1-4 with NO REST between excercises, the 2-3 minutes rest before beginning again)

Today I began the last part of my 6-week workout cyle. It will last two weeks, and I am doing a 5x6 set structure, supersetting four excercises at a time. :twisted:

The entire workout took less than 60 minutes (40 sets total). I was totally rocked, but the pace of the lifting was so hectic I didn't even have time to realize it until I was done. I was sure that I would end up dropping my weights more than this, but I managed to keep them relatively high (for me anyways :wink: ).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2007 4:04 am 
Manatee

Saturday December 22, 2007:

Seated DB Curls: 5x6 with 45lb DBs
Lying Tricep DB Extensions: 5x6 with 35lb DBs
Concentration Curls: 5x6 with 35,35,35,35,30lb DBs
Tricep DB Kickbacks: 5x6 with 30lb DB
(These excercises were superset by performing excercises 1-4 with NO REST between excercises, the 1-2 minutes rest before beginning again)

Reverse Grip EZ bar curls: 5x6 with 75lbs
Dips (bodyweight w/tricep emphasis): 5x15 <<< :D
DB Overhead Press: 5x6 with 55,60,60,60,55lb DBs (only made 5 reps on last two sets)
DB Lateral Raises: 5x6 with 30lb DBs
(These excercises were superset by performing excercises 1-4 with NO REST between excercises, the 1-2 minutes rest before beginning again)

Had a really good workout tonite. PB for weight (60lbs) on the DB overhead press and PB for reps on dips as well. :D New weight on the Seated DB Curls and Lying Extensions as well.

Workout took 55 minutes (40 sets total). :twisted:

Tomorrow I am doing legs using this type of set structure. I would be lying if I said I wasn't a little bit scared...

-Chris

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2007 2:28 am 
Manatee

Sunday December 23, 2007:

BB Squats (to parallel): 135lbs x 8 reps (Warm-up Set)

BB Squats (to parallel): 5x6 with 225,225,225,205,205lbs <<< :D
Lying Ham Curl Machine: 5x6 with 120lbs
Straight-Legged Deadlift: 5x6 with 185,185,185,185,155lbs
DB Lunges: 5x6 with 55lb DBs
(These excercises were superset by performing excercises 1-4 with NO REST between excercises, the 3-5 minutes rest before beginning again)

Plate Loaded Leg Press Machine: 5x6 with 380,400,400,420,420lbs
Standing One Leg Ham Curl: 5x6 with 45,50,50,55,55lbs
Seated Calf Press machine: 5x20 with 400lbs
Standing One Leg Calf Raises: 5x6 with bodyweight

I squatted 225lbs for reps today!!! :party:

My palms started sweating two hours before my workout! I was really nervous about trying that weight. I can't believe I made 3 sets of 6!!! I think I will remember this day forever. :D I never do 1-rep max excercises, so this really is the first time I've ever squatted that much weight.

After my first three sets at 225, I dropped the weight to 205 and started creeping just below parallel for the last two sets. I've been reading some articles about how it's less hard on your back if you go past parallel, so I thought I'd give it a go. It really did seem much easier on the back as I was beginning the upward phase of the lift!

The first giant superset was however, totally brutal! I was sure that I would need to drop weight on the Straight-Leg Deadlifts and Lunges, but somehow I managed. Luckily the gym was pretty empty and some guys were deadlifting near the squat rack with the right weight for me to jump in while they were resting.

Had new PB weights on the Plate Loaded Leg Press and One-Leg Ham Curl machine. I am making sure my legs touch my chest each rep on the leg press, so my weights aren't very high. Then there's also the fact that my legs were already fried from those first 20 sets.

Workout took a total of 65 minutes to complete (40 sets total). :twisted:

-Chris

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 25, 2007 2:57 am 
Manatee

My gym closed early today and will be closed all day tomorrow, so I guess I'm taking two days off lifting. :?

Looking at my log, it looks like I just went 8 days without a day off, so I guess it's probably a good thing.

I ate some fried food today and I feel totally gross... Like I need to take a shower or something.

-Chris

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2007 3:01 pm 
Manatee

Thursday December 27, 2007:

DB Flat Press: 8 reps with 65lb DBs (warm-up set)

DB Flat Press: 5x6 with 85lb DBs
One Arm DB Row: 5x6 with 90lb DB
Incline DB Press (palms-in): 5x6 with 75lb DBs (only made 4 on last set)
Close Grip Cable Row: 5x6 with 160lbs

Wide Grip Cable Pulldown: 5x6 with 180lbs
Cable Crossovers (various positions): 5x6 with 50,60,50,60,50lbs
Incline Bench Reverse DB Fly: 5x6 with 25lbs
Seated Plate Loaded Calf Press: 135lbs for 15,15,12,12,12 reps
(These excercises were superset by performing excercises 1-4 with NO REST between excercises, the 1 minute rest before beginning again)

I've been doing a lot of physical activity for the past couple days, so I did not have much energy for working out. Somehow made it to the gym last night, even though I was pretty tired.

I played with my grip and arm angles a little bit on the flat and incline presses to try to get really intense contractions. My chest is a bit sore today which is nice. The DB rows with 90lbs are starting to feel a little light, even when practiced with controlled movement and pause at the top of each rep. I think I will try a 100lb DB next time I do those. :twisted:

I was working in with another guy on the cable crossover machine, and he kept changing the height (incline, decline, regular). I find myself varying my routine on the fly if necessary in order to keep up the pace of the supersets. :wink: I only needed an incline bench and flat bench to do my first superset, but the second one required four different stations, so I was running all over the place.

I really worked hard to keep the rest periods between sets short. I completed 40 working sets in 50 minutes! I wasn't lifting incredibly heavy, but the intensity was definitely there... :twisted:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2007 3:02 pm 
Elephant

40 sets in 50 minutes..... that is super intense! 8)

:usa2: :usa2: :usa2:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2007 4:17 am 
Manatee

Josh, "Super-Intense" definitely sums it up. 8)

I would end up "overtraining" and eventually wind up injuring myself if I did this all the time. However, it does seem to work really well when I do it for 1/3 of my workout cycle.

Friday December 28, 2007:

Incline Curls: 5x6 with 45lb DBs
Tricep Cable Pushdown: 5x6 with 80lbs
Hammer Curls: 5x6 with 35lbs
Overhead DB Extension: 5x6 with 70lb DB

One Arm Preacher Curls: 5x6 with 30lb DB
Close-Grip Palms-In Flat Press: 5x6 with 65lb DBs
Standing Military Press: 5x6 with 95,105,105(5 reps),95,95(4 reps)
Upright Rows: 5x6 with 80lbs

The only excercise I upped the weight on was upright rows. Like last night, I kept the rest periods very short. Even though I've done these weights before, it only took about 75% as much time to complete the same amount of work when I did it tonite. :D I watched the clock throughout the workout to pace myself. Like last night, the whole workout took 50 minutes.

This is typically the type of improvement I see in the last two weeks of this program. My weights don't go up, but I am able to complete the same amount of work in much less time. :wink:

I really enjoy watching the looks on peoples faces as they watch me complete four excercises in the time it takes them to do one set. :D

Tomorrow is another leg day. :twisted: I'm thinking of experimenting with ATG squats instead of just going to parallel. I've never tried them before, and I'm interested to see how they feel.

-Chris

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2007 3:25 am 
Manatee

Sunday December 30, 2007:

Wide Stance BB Squats (just below parallel): 8x135lbs (warm-up set)

Wide Stance BB Squats (just below parallel): 5x6 with 185,205,205,205,205lbs
DB Lunges: 5x6 with 55lb DBs
Seated Leg Extension Machine: 5x6 with 130,130,130,130,140lbs
Seated Ham Curl Machine: 5x6 with 240,240,240,240,255lbs
(These excercises were superset by performing excercises 1-4 with NO REST between excercises, the 3-5 minutes rest before beginning again)

DB Squats (to parallel): 5x6 with 100,105,110,115,115lb DBs <<< :D
Leg Extension Machine (different machine): 5x6 with 240lbs
Donkey Calf Raise Machine: 210lbs for 10,10,10,10,8 reps
Standing Calf Raise Machine: 120lbs for 12,10,10,10,12 reps
(These excercises were superset by performing excercises 1-4 with NO REST between excercises, the 3-4 minutes rest before beginning again)

My lower back felt really weird (in a bad way) yesterday... All day I was debating whether to postpone my leg workout, or just substitute hack squats and leg press for the squats I had planned.

I decided to wait a day so I could do real squats! :twisted:

Went as wide as I've ever gone on the Wide-Stance "Ballet" Squats. I'm getting pretty deep too... I'm pretty sure the top of my quads were about 1" below the top of my knees for every rep. (I don't have a spotter, and that is my best estimate from what I could see in the mirror :wink: ). I never really felt comfortable with these in the past. The narrow stance squat always felt much more natural for me. Tonight, I was starting to find a groove that worked for me with the wide-stance. :P My inner quads definitely feel the difference.

Hit some new numbers on the leg-extension and ham-curl machines. Probably could have done the higher weight for all sets, but I would have had to increase my rest period even longer, which I didn't want to do.

So tonight I figured out that my gym does in fact have DBs in 5lb increments up to 120lbs... They're just missing the 95lb DBs, which threw me off. :oops: With this knowledge in hand, I decided to see how far I could go with the DB squats. :twisted:

I ended up doing 2 sets of 6 reps with 115lb DBs! My previous PB for this was 100lb DBs, and I just reached that last week. At 230lbs total, this is the most weight I've ever lifted for reps, for any free-weight excersise. :D This has got me thinking that I need to try regular deadlifts soon just to see how much I can lift. I wouldn't have to go nearly as far down before the plates hit the ground (as opposed to DB squats), so I'd probably be able to do 275-300lbs for reps. Hmmmm.... :twisted:

Workout took 60 minutes total, including warm-up set. Could have done it faster, but I would have had to drop some weights.

-Chris

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2008 4:55 am 
Manatee

Tuesday January 1, 2008:

Incline DB Press: 65 x 8 reps (warm-up set)

Incline DB Press: 5x6 with 80lb DBs
One Arm Row: 5x6 with 90,90,90,90,100lb DB <<< :D
Flat DB Press: 5x6 with 85,85,85(5 reps),85(4 reps),80lb DBs
DB Pullovers: 5x6 with 60lb DB

Wide Grip Pullups: Bodyweight x 5,5,5,5,4 reps
Incline DB Fly: 5x6 with 50lb DBs
Incline Bench Reverse Fly: 5x6 with 25lb DBs
Seated Plate Loaded Calf Press: 135lbs x 15,15,15,12,15 reps
(These excercises were superset by performing excercises 1-4 with NO REST between excercises, the 1 minute rest before beginning again)

I couldn't make it to the gym yesterday before they closed, so I had yet another day off. :? Should be back on track now that the holidays are over.

My gym was super dead, so I didn't have anyone competing for space/benches/DBs/etc... After collecting all the DBs necessary for my first superset and setting them up around the benches I was going to be working on, it struck me that I am playing with some heavy ass dumbbells these days. :D (for me anyways :wink: )

The One-Arm Row with 100lb DB is a personal best. Did six reps with really nice controlled form and pause at top. Other than that, I didn't really lift super heavy today, but I did tear through the workout really fast.

:twisted: :twisted: :twisted: 40 working sets completed in 48 minutes!!! :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

-Chris

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 66 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next