Food Dehydrator- recipies how to use?

phillipeb

I recently inherited a food dehydrator. I have no idea how to really use it of any recipes for it. Any ideas? I know it will be dead usefull at the end of summer next year because i can dry a lot of fruit for the winter months. I have a new blender as well. I know these are the two legs of the holy trinity of raw food items. Any help would be appreciated

• 2 weeks later...

I made dried apples with the white stackable nesco dehydrator. Absolutely delicious, soo much better than storebought.

Here is the link for the nesco dehydrator cookbook, with instructions:

http://www.nesco.com/files/pdf/dehydrator_cookbook__digest_.pdf

The key is follow the instructions. Timing and even slicing are key.

Also, pre-soak apple slices in a vitamin c solution to prevent them from turning brown. Buy ascorbic acid (vitamin c) powder at a health food store or online. Apples work best when you peel them as well. And buying an apple corer saves time. Obviously, best to start with fresh, in season apples. Green ones work the best for dehydrating.

The whole process takes a little while, but once you get into the swing of things, it goes quickly, and the results are well worth it.

Ill tell you one thing... your fruit wont turn out like the stuff in stores. Why? All the dried fruit you buy in stores has sugar on it! The sugar is what keeps it from shrinking and shriveling. I have a dehydrator. I went for months making different things. One thing you can make is fruit rollups. Just pour in apple sauce and turn it on. Thats it!

Ill tell you one thing... your fruit wont turn out like the stuff in stores. Why? All the dried fruit you buy in stores has sugar on it! The sugar is what keeps it from shrinking and shriveling. I have a dehydrator. I went for months making different things. One thing you can make is fruit rollups. Just pour in apple sauce and turn it on. Thats it!

That sounds awesome, I would have never thought of that.