HSOrlandos 2013 Journal: Being vegan in a non vegan world

Didn''t run yesterday, but did take Body Pump again. It was a great class, although on chest my right shoulder really started to hurt. But on everything else I was fine. Although biceps are still a pain, I may raise that weight soon. Today I am doing kickboxing in the morning, then I'll meet the running trainer at 5:30pm, and then at 6:30 I'll do Latin Cardio. It'll be a substitute for 2 weeks, so I'll see how I like it tonight.

Yesterday I ate a clif bar, Amy's pot pie, 2 bananas, 2 burritos, and a vegan chik pattie w/ some brown rice.

• Replies 878
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks pazios, today was a long day. I did kb, it was mostly cardio straight through with no breaks at all. We didn't use any wraps again, because they hadn't put them back in the room. There were of course lots of punching and kicking moves, because it was a kickboxing class. Also did some tricep pushups, and ran around the room several times. We ran forward, sideways, backwards, and then did it again going the opposite direction. We also used the jumprope, have I said how much I hate that thing lol! There was also time for abs and stretching, and I had to rush to work because I was late oops! I just told people I had an appointment, which I did, at the gym! Then I went back and ran with the trainer, and then took a latin cardio class. I actually really enjoyed the substitute instructor who taught. She was very similar to the main instructor, and she wasn't quite as fast in her footwork so it was a bit easier to follow. I barely got through the class because I was tired from kb, and running, but tomorrow is my day off from the gym so I'll get my rest.

Breakfast 8:30am: oatmeal w/banana & 1/2 cup of black coffee

Lunch:1;45pm Amy's black bean enchilada meal $ diet soda w/ splenda

Snack4:30pm banana

Snack: canteloupe about 7 or 8 pieces

Dinner:9pm chik pattie,and rice

Dessert: I will be having a cup of tea with 2 small cookies (I would have had more) but my brother ate the rest and he's not even vegan. Him and his 2 girls have 2 boxes of non vegan cookies, so why did he eat mine argh! Well actually I don't need them so I'm glad they're almost gone.

I've been busy this weekend, with last minute shopping for my 2 nieces. I sort of wish I'd never started lol. Anyway I had a terrific workout on Saturday, it was the cardio strength class, and I was just full of energy, and felt ready for a hard workout, and gave it my best. I love that feeling. I can't remember what we did, but like I said I was full of energy, and had a great time. So I think I've finally recovered from the stresses of moving in early December.

On Sunday I went to a Step class, and then I stopped by a Target and bought some new workout clothes. I haven't been able to afford any new clothes in a long long time, but I had a gift card to use. I just want everyone to know I wish I had the resources to just buy sweatshop free clothing, but right now I have very limited finances. Anyway after I got done at Target, I was supposed to go back to do Body Pump, but my brother needed the car, so I had no choice but to just go home. I absolutely hate missing my time at the gym.

Today the Y had limited hours because of Christmas Eve so I was going to go at noon to do a BodyPump class, but I couldn't get away from work. I had a person who was going to cover for me, but I never got the chance to leave. So I'm quite upset about missing 2 workouts already this week. So if anyone in my family wonders why I'm miserable on Christmas it'll be because I couldn't get to the gym. On another note this Friday I will finally be able to order the study book for my personal training course. According to one of the trainers all I lack is confidence, and he even offered to help me prepare for the certification. It's just cool when there are people in the field that you want to get into that believe you can do something that is so important to you.

My eating has been terrible. It's been hard enough just being vegan since living with my brother, but he keeps eating my damn food, and then complains to me about how expensive my foods are! Anyway as soon as this week is over I am going to go to Whole Foods, and really start buying some good foods. If I can get my eating as consistent as my workouts usually are I will be doing pretty well I believe.

Here is a list of foods that I would love to add to my boring diet

Flax- I will probably end up with an organic cereal with flax in it

Hemp- I would love to start buying Vega online

Rice Dream milk-I tried Vega with soy milk,and water but it tasted best w/ Rice Dream

Quinoa-

more fruit, and more vegetables, and lots more salads- I was doing pretty good, and I will not let anyone interfere with my diet or my workouts

Today when I got to the gym it felt like weeks instead of 2 days since I'd been there. Of course I was planning on running but happened to start my monthly cycle, and had no energy anyway, so I didn't run. I did wear my new workout pants, and they fit quite nicely, and they're smalls, so that makes me happy. I took a BodyPump class, and it felt great to be lifting weights again. My last strength training session was Saturday, so it's been a few days. I know Christmas was only yesterday, but I can't wait to take all the decorations down, and get back to normal. Maybe I'll do this Saturday, I won't be working out that day, because the 5k is Sunday, and I want to be well rested. I know it's only a few miles but this is my first ever race, and I still consider myself to be a beginner at running. I am not putting any pressure on myself except to complete the race, which I know I can do. I am still very slow (it takes me between 35-40 minutes for 5k) so as long as I run the whole thing I'll be happy enough.

Breakfast: organic toasted oat cereal w/ unsweet silk soymilk

Lunch: Amy's vegan pot pie

Snack:banana

Dinner: 3 soy hotdogs, w/ corn and unsweetened applesauce

It's been a long week, I'm not making excuses, I can't wait until I can start eating better. My problem with this is I get paid monthly right now, and when my check runs out I can't exactly buy everything I need, it's all I can do to eat vegan foods. I am just biding my time at this job until I get my certification, which I am doing no matter what it takes, then hopefully and maybe with some help, will get a job as a trainer or at least at a gym, and make more money and be able to eat better. At least this is my ultimate plan. So if anyone reads my terrible eating habits just know it's not by choice it's because of financial reasons.

I took a Boot Camp class today, and it was tough, but I made it through. Then tonight I went back and did latin cardio, I'm thinking of stopping this for a while and doing something different, but not sure what yet.

Let's see if I can remember what I did Thursday! I went in the morning for Kickboxing, but we ended up with a substitute, and Bootcamp. We worked out on the track for about 15 minutes, and then headed inside. Outside we started with stepups onto a bench which was about 3 or 4 feet off the ground, then sprinted down the grassy, and muddy hill, ran back up touched the concrete, ran back down and up again, then repeated stepups on opposite leg which wasn't quite as strong, or stable, for some reason, then sprinted again. Paired up, hopped down part of track, and ran the rest. Then the trainer actually thought we could carry our partner on our back up the hill, but no one was thrilled with this idea, so we ended up hopping up the hill instead. Then we ran around track again I think, hopped uphill some more, and went inside. I had cramps, and my legs were tired, but did my best to keep up, and didn't fall too far behind during the class. Inside we did dips with our steps, with one leg raised, then ran across room and back, and did it again with opposite leg. There were also pushups with one leg in air, and straddles on step with a lot of risers, and a few other things I can't remember. I'm surprised I kept up as well as I did considering how I felt. We also did some stuff with a medicine ball, throwing it to a partner, while doing various things like squats, and similar exercises.

Well this week has not been so consistent with my workouts. On Sunday I made it to Step, but missed a strength training class, then missed a workout Monday, gym was closed Tuesday for holiday, got to gym Wednesday for BodyPump, and twice Thursday for Bootcamp, and Latin cardio, so I've only been to gym 3 days this week, and for four workouts. I didn't get there yesterday either because it was my other nieces bithday, she turned one. I was doing the house cleaning, and putting away the decorations all day. I did pick up my race day packet though, and manged to escape in the morning for a few cups of organic coffee, and some hemp waffles which were quite good. Anyway I didn't want to workout today because I wanted to be well rested and not sore for the race tomorrow, well with all the days I missed this week I'd better be well rested, I just hope I'm not off because I haven't been working out. The party was almost a disaster because my stupid brother invited the girls mother, and everyone felt weird because she was there. No one trusts her, and no one has any idea why my brother is being so nice. All the women wanted to slug her, but we'll wait until the court date is over to do that lol! Anyway I am excited about my first 5k tomorrow, and I'm actually looking forward to running. It is a run/walk so I'm pretty sure I won't be the last person to finish. I reallly can't stand not getting to the gym, it's been pure torture this week, but perhaps I needed the break, snd maybe all my pent up energy will come out while I run. I suppose I'm done my rant for now, so I'll post tomorrow when I can. Besides the race, which is at 7:30 am, I plan to do a Step class, and do a Body Pump class, so I should be exhausted and feel quite good tomorrow evening.

Today was awesome! I got up early, around 6:15am, ate a banana, drank a bit of water, and went to the Ymca for the 5k. I ran it a lot faster than I thought I would, I think my time was 33 minutes and about 20 seconds. I glanced at the clock when I finished but there were people standing near it, and I didn't quite see the seconds. Anyway I had a few people who were rooting for me. The running trainer, the group exercise director, and my Mom were all there, and I saw a few other trainers too. Everyone mentioned above ran, except my Mom. The race was packed, so at least a lot of Central Florida likes to exercise. I've also inspired my Mom, and she's going to start running, we'll both do the next 5k, which is in April. After the race I had another banana, there were some tents set up from the sponsors, and got a free water bottle. Then I walked to a vegetarian place, and had some organic coffee, and a bagel w/ vegan cream cheese.

I went back to the Y, and took the Step class, my legs felt pretty good, but I was a bit tired at the end. Before the Body Pump class I had a clif bar, and some water. I only lowered the weights for my deadlifts, deadrows, and clean and presses. I only did that because during my bench presses my right shoulder, pec area felt real tight. For every other exercise I'm fine, so I'm thinking it's just because I'm going heavier on chest with the barbell. Maybe my right side isn't quite as strong as my left, since I'm left handed. Anyway it only gets sore, and tight when I do bench presses, and pushups, and I'm sure it'll go away as I get stronger.

After the race I also got my bodyfat measured. I'm not quite sure how accurate it was though as the person did it through my pants for my thigh. I thought it would be lower too, but it said 19.4%, which they still cosider to be good.

Edited by hsorlando

Today I did another BodyPump class. I went 5 pounds lighter on chest, and didn't feel any tightness in my muscles, so that's good. I went heavier on my back exercises. I've been doing back with a 25 lb barbell, but bumped it up today to 30lbs. I felt good, and managed the clean and presses alright, which I didn't think I'd be able to do. Biceps are still tough, but I may bump this up as well, along with squats. Anyway not much else is going on. I took a nap today, which I never do, so I'll probably end up staying awake until midnight. Got the apartment almost to myself, my brothers out with his 2 girls, so I have time to clean and do stuff around the place.

Breakfast: clif bar, banana

Snack:banana

Lunch:salad

Dinner: vegan b.l.t. sandwich w/ lots of tomato, and lettuce

Not exactly sure what I'm doing today. The Y is closing early due to the holiday. I thought I'd go and do some weights by myself, and perhaps run, but I'm still a bit tired from doing BodyPump 2 days in a row, so we'll see. I actually was thinking of doing a spinning class, but I may have already missed the last class of the day. Who knows maybe this year I will get more into cycling, and swimming, and continue my running endeavors. Anyway if I don't figure out what to do today I may just take off, and go Friday instead.

Well I haven't made it to the gym yet today, but I did have a nice surprise. I went out for breakfast with my mom, then we decided to weigh ourselves. I'm down to 140, the scale was on the carpet at a grocery store, so it may have actually been less. I was starting to think I would never get under 145. I mean it's been at 145 for a few months now. Anyway now I feel pretty good, and I think my weight loss is due to my running, and possibly the BodyPump classes. So I guess I didn't pig out during the holidays as much as I thought. Now I am determined to finish losing what extra weight is left, and so far I haven't even been trying. It's nice to know that running allows me to still eat "some" junk food like vegan cookies. Not that I over do it, but it's still nice to know that I can have the occasional dessert item.

I thought since it is the beginning of 2008 I would sort of update my stats for the gym, so I don't have to keep looking at old posts

My weight as of 01/01/2008: 140.5 lbs

I would still like to lose at least 10 more lbs, possibly more

Weights that I use

dumbbells: light 7 lbs medium 10 lbs heavy 12lbs (as of right now)

Barbell weight used for BodyPump classes this is a total, not per side

warmup: 20lbs

squats: 40lbs will start this weight next BP class

chest: 30lbs

back: 30lbs

triceps: 20lbs

biceps: 20lbs

lunges: hold two 5 lb weights, but will try holding 10s instead just not sure of grip because 10s are bigger and I do have small hands

shoulders: start with 2 5s for lateral raises, then use bar with 20lbs loaded for overhead presses

abs: getting a lot easier, at first were quite hard, they do abs very slowly, use barbell for prone bar roll or do hovers, then stretch

Running 5k 3 times a week at least (right now pb time is 33:20)

will of course update these as I go heavier, or faster

I didn't run today because it was quite cold out. I know I live in Florida, but after you live here for over 6 months you just can't take the cold. Not to mention I don't really have clothes for cold weather. Anyway I took a BodyPump class today, and felt pretty good. I didn't up my squat weight yet, but did manage to bench press using 30lbs, and my right shoulder/ pec area didn't hurt so that's good. I am running tomorrow, it will be a bit warmer, and not as windy. I can't get out of it this time lol, because I'm meeting the trainer. I'm also doing Kickboxing in the morning before work, but I don't know if I'll do anything else after I run in the afternoon.

Edited by hsorlando

Breakfast: 8:30 am oatmeal w/banana & black coffee

Lunch:12:30pm Amys pot pie

Snack:4:30pm clif bar

Snack:7:00pm banana

Dinner:9:30 2 burritos & brown rice

I always drink a lot of water, and I also had some iced tea.

We aren't keeping any soda in the house anymore bacause my brothers 2 year old girl goes crazy when she sees soda. Unfortunately my brothers ex has a stupid mom that was giving the girls soda, and the 2 year old seems to be addicted to it. I shouldn't consume it anyway so I'm glad we won't have it in the house.

Had another great workout, well actually two today. This morning did KB, it'll be a new trainer next week, but we're told she's awesome, we'll see! Anyway I've been in a bit of a mood the last few days so I really enjoyed punching stuff in class. I wasn't as tired as I usually am after KB, so I guess that means I'm getting in better shape, and my endurance is finally going up. It was still cold today in the 40s, last night we broke a 5 year record for how cold it was, I think it got to around 30 degrees, which xonsidering it's Florida was cold! After work I went back to the gym, and met the trainer. My Mom is also starting, so I ran by myself for 2.5 miles, then the running instructor worked with me on speed, so I can get faster for my next race. I ran for 5 seconds, then sprinted for 5 seconds for the last half mile. I actually caught up to her a couple times, I think she was as surprised as I was. I did not stay for Latin Cardio, I think after nearly 2 years I have taken it as far as I can. I have to face it I am way more comfortable lifting a barbell, than shaking my hips! I missed Tuesday, so I may possibly go to the gym tomorrow, but not 100% sure.

Breakfast:8:45 am oatmeal w/banana & black coffee

Lunch:3:45pm 1 burrito, 1/2 sandwich

Snack:5pm clif bar

Dinner:9pm Fantastic Foods vegan Chicken soup, 1/2 sandwich

Someone was supposed to drop off my lunch, but didn''t get there untilI was almost leaving for the gym. I shouldn''t have eaten so much right before I ran at 5:30, the clif bar sort of just sat there, but at least I had energy to run.

Had a quick workout tonight. Not much to it, just did some machines.

I started with 10 minutes of cardio on a Precor eliptical machine, then did legs. My reason for working out with only machines was I just wanted to see how heavy I could go. I'll do my best to remember exact weights.

Leg extentions: 10 reps 40, 8/50, 8/50,8/50

Leg press: 4 sets 140lbs 8 reps

Calf Raises w/15 lb hand weights 3 sets 8 reps (waiting for machine)

Leg curls (lying down) 4 sets, played around with 50-70lbs and 6-10reps

Calf machine: (standing) 100lbs 8 reps 80lbs 8 reps 80lbs 8 reps

Then I did some abs with a 6lb medicine ball (about 50) & stretching