Need Help Bulking Up!

Shelby

I have been seriously weightlifting for over 2 years, yet I am not seeing the results I want to see. I want to (and need to!) put on more muscle mass... I'm very tiny (5'0 and not even 90#), but I'm strong . . . I just dont look like it. I mean, I'm defined, but there's not much mass there. I have a hard time putting on weight, despite eating more than enough Kcals. My protein is high (about 25% of my diet). I'm currently working on 2 body parts/day: bi's/tri's, back/abs, chest/shoulders, legs. I'm in the gym for 1.5-2 hours per day. I perform supersets of 3-4 sets, 12 and 12 reps. By the 12th rep, my muscles are definitely fatigued/exhausted. Would it benefit me more to only do one body part per day or would that result in too much rest inbetween sessions of working that one group? Or should I decrease reps? I DO change my routine, so thats not the contributing factor. Mass just doesn't come on easily for me! Thanks for ur help!

-Shelby )

Yeah, the sig is awesome

In answer to your question:

It seems to me you're doing too much. How many workout days per week and how many days off?

Personally, i've made the best gains with whole body workouts or 2 split training programs, working every muscle 2-4 times per week.

I think after two years you're ready to increase the weights and cut down the reps. Heavy weights make you grow. Just make sure you keep proper form.

Concentrate on basic compound exercises.

Here are my thoughts on training and bulking, maybe you find them useful:

viewtopic.php?t=487

If you haven't tried yet, give the HST program a shot. The 8-9 weeks are no loss if it doesn't work for you, but i bet it will.

www.hypertrophy-specific.com

Tell us what you do next, i'd be happy to see a training log from you

Hi Shelby, may I share with you what works for me? I'm bulking up for the same reason as you and I've been eating wholefoods like brown rice, potatoes and veggies! I don't particularly care about protiens and carbs I'm just eating "good" foods and staying away from junk foods! I'm eating when I want to! I average at 5-6 meals a day and a gallon of water a day too, I find that the water helps a great deal! if you naturally have a small appetite then you may have a hard time gaining but me personally I love to eat so it's easy for me! also what works for me is to work out heavy and hard once a week for no more than 30-45 minutes! I personaly think your working out way too much for mass building, I do one exercise per body part and I do one set to absolute failure then rest for six days, I'm sure if you focus on hard heavy training your appetite will come and you will grow! hope this helped

Edited by Bigbwii

I think the weights you're lifting are not heavy enough for you. To increase mass, you shouldn't be doing 12 reps in my opinion. I did that for a long time and didn't get much of a result (size-wise). I now aim for between 3 and 6 reps for heavy lifting. I still do some sets of 12 also, but for size, I think lower reps and higher weight is better. I have gone up quite rapidly since adopting this idea, I started lifting (single arm bicep curl) 12.5kg for about 10 reps, and had been doing that for a while and not seeing much improvement. And then I went up to 15kgs, doing about 5 reps. Then I tried 17.5 and got about 2 reps. Etc. Now I am doing 20kg for about 6 reps, which is much better than anything I could do with the 12.5kg.