Hey! I'm Shelby! :o)

Shelby

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Tarz: Floyd is absolutely gorgeous! He does look like a very strong dog (he could probably beat me in arm-wrestling... well, if dogs were able to do that, lol). Sorry to hear about your dog.... 15-1/2 years is a very long time! You must've been a wonderful dad to him!

Richard: yeah, it seems like no one really understands veganism and sometimes I just get too tired having to explain it, b/c it always seems to turn into me having to almost defend myself! It's crazy... some people just can't be open-minded and/or accept notions that they aren't accustomed to. And I also get that "what-are-you-nuts!?!" look from people all the time too when I tell them I'm vegan and a weightlifter. They just understand how someone can bodybuild without massive amts of steak, creatine, and protein powders. Veganism goes against what all the mainstream bodybuilding philosophies preach... i don't know if some people feel almost "threatened" by it or if it's just too "new" of a concept for them to grasp. Who knows, who cares, lol. I know to a fact that I'm not gonna change just b/c some meat-head (literally, lol) at the gym tells me I should if I want to see gains.

-Shelby )

I know to a fact that I'm not gonna change just b/c some meat-head (literally, lol) at the gym tells me I should if I want to see gains.

I think meat must shut off the flow of oxygen to the brain! I have had people look me in the face and tell me that I couldn't possibly get enough protein. I'm 240 pounds. Clearly I'm getting protein somehow!

I know to a fact that I'm not gonna change just b/c some meat-head (literally, lol) at the gym tells me I should if I want to see gains.

I think meat must shut off the flow of oxygen to the brain! I have had people look me in the face and tell me that I couldn't possibly get enough protein. I'm 240 pounds. Clearly I'm getting protein somehow!

Wish is why all of us vegans have to stick together and just BRING IT. Seeing is believing, right? Or at least it should be....there are some awfully dumb 'meatheads' out there.

I have two little furry loves too, but mine are kitties

Queso and Cava, the loves of my life! And the bane of Topher's existance

Hey Meggy!

Thanks for the welcome! And I totally agree with you and Michael... we vegans obviously know whats best for us, even if that means going against the grain. I love that whole protein debate thing that non-vegan bodybuilders are obsessed with... more protein DOES NOT equal more muscle! Ugh, I won't go into detail, cuz I know that you've all been thru it numerous times... Just eat healthy, exercise, and the mass will follow. Consuming hundreds of grams of protein will not help... in fact, it may just have the opposite effect and turn into fat (or much worse). I'd rather eat sensibly and experience slower gains than try to do it really fast and unhealthily. (Ok, enough venting for today, lol).

PEACE!!!!!

-Shelbs )

Hi Shelby - I'm glad you liked Floyd. Here's a couple more pics of him:

http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d34/Tarz77/Floyd2.jpg

http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d34/Tarz77/Floyd3.jpg

I'm seeing my sister this weekend, so he's gonna be spoilt with lot's of walks and fuss. He is very strong - I can lift him with a stick so my arms are fully extended above my head so he's about 6ft off the ground and he will not let go. I can spin him round until I get dizzy and he will not let go either. We 'pull' over the stick until his gums are bleeding ( only a little - I'd never hurt him! ) and my hands are all scratched. He loves it though - Staffs love to 'rough house' when they play. They are a very gentle breed of dog despite their strong physique. They are very popular in the UK, and sadly many are stolen. It is very sad when family pets are stolen to train those of the breed that are trained for fighting. Unfortuantely Staffs, like pit bulls are used for dog fighting, which still does go on here in the UK. It is a little known fact that Staffs are one of only two breeds of dog approved by the Kennel Club for being with children. Floyd is a big softy and not in the least aggressive. Dogs are only aggressive if trained to be such, despite the reputation of certain breeds.

Yeah, my own dog had a nice long life. I had him from when I was 9 until I was 24, so the majority of my life and so obviously I missed him terribly when he first died. Saying that he had a good life - so many pets are maltreated or just abandoned and put to sleep because they can't be rehomed......

Yes Shelby - Floyd smiles a lot. He is also a huge sulker - he will let you know if he is not happy in no uncertain terms - when he wants yet another walk, a play, a seat on the couch or if he thinks he is not getting enough attention.

I'll be seeing him later - I'll get such a greeting from him when I walk through the door.

Welcome, nice to have you, cute dog, yes you should be in Oregon, etc...

How'd you get into personal training? Schooling... certs... Do you work for a gym? Independent contracting?

Can you tell I'm interested in the personal training? It's one of my interests after I get this teaching degree I'm working on done.

-Aaron

Hey Aaron!!!

Simon, my dog, thanks u for the compliment! )

As for the Personal Training, I went to the National Personal Training Institute... they have them all over the country. It's an awesome program, tho rather expensive. But it's worth it, for it's a lot more comprhensive and practical than those on-line certs (like ACE). NPTI is a 6m program where graduates receive a diploma and cert in PT and Nutritional Counseling. The day is divided into 2 parts: 2.5 hours of lecture and 2.5 hours of practical experience training actual clients. So, u leave the program with over 200 hours of Personal Training experience. Check out their website if u want more info.... I highly recommend it!

Due to school (I'm trying to get into a nursing program), I took a break from PT for now, but I did apply to Cardinal Fitness and it looks like I'll be hired soon. Not only that, but the manager hinted at the possibility of me becoming the Head Training! How cool is that?! ) It's Independent Contracting there, but they take 30% of what I charge. So, i'm employed by them, but at the same time, I'm not... kinda confusing, isn't it?

Thats awesome that u are studying to be a teacher! What do u want to teach? Are u almost done with school?

ttyl!

-Shelby

"May I always be the type of person my dog thinks I am"

Welcome, Shelby. I love that quote!! And Simon is so cute! What other animals do you have?

I'm also new here. BTW, I have three cats. Here's Bad Charlie. This photo was taken about 3 years ago. He's now 22. OMG!! He's older than you!

http://pic4.picturetrail.com/VOL728/2745263/7443831/97347410.jpg

Your cat is TWENTY -TWO years old!!!

I hope Riley and Rambo can live that long -- they are my two cats, both rescued from death row in a shelter and winter storm, respectively, and now live in the lap of luxury.

I cannot believe that your cat is 22!!! Does he suffer from any major old age problems? Is he a happy kittie, or is he old and cranky like my grandpa was? What makes "Bad Charlie" so bad? Details please details. How does he get along with your other cats? Can i see some pics of your other cats?

And Shelby, how does you kittie get along with Simon? WHo did you have first? Details please details.

I think y'all know by now that you cannot post one line about your animal friends and then leave me hanging and begging for more. That is SUCH a tease

WOW.... 22!!! That's absolutely AMAZING!!! Whats your secret?! As Nat says "Details please!" Bad Charlie is absolutely adorable! You must be a great parent to him!

My Kids include my dog, Simon, a 2 year old cocker spaniel, my cat, Bennett, a 3 year old DSH, my turtle, Teddy who's 25, and Binya-Binya, my 13 yr old aquatic frog.

Nat, i agree with u on how it's a tease to leave one-liners about one's furrykids!!! hehehe! I also love to hear about other's animals! Rambo and Riley sound adorable as well.... post some pics of them too! (how do u post pics on a post?)

On another note, does anyone live near the chicago area? I'm sick of being the only vegan... today, my mom told me how she "hates how different" I am from everyone and that me being vegan is a huge inconvience. Yeah, I was hurt and shed a few tears... especially since I dont force my views on people and try to be very accomodating in all situations. I'd never change my ways, but I want to be able to hang out with people whom have my same views, so I don't feel so isolated. It's getting old... it's amazing how ignorant people can be... even family members!

Shelby,

What I would do is sit my mom down in front of my computer and watch "Meet your meat" with her and say that is why I am vegan and you should be proud that you have a compassionate and empathetic daughter. Not to mention the fact that you should be happy that I, yourr daughter, is living a healthier lifetsyle. Then give her some literature about the health benefits of being vegan. After all, what parent wouldnt want their kids to be healthy?

I'm serious. Maybe she does not understand the magnitude of suffering caused by non-vegan diets. Seriously-- that is what I did with my mom. I watched meet your meat with her and not only did she understand me better after that, she fiercly defends my veganism to other ignorant relatives of ours when they question my diet choices. AND she also has dramatically cut out meat herself.

So maybe you should give that approach a shot if you havent already.

peace

I have no digital camera and no pics of Riley and Rambo. and they are very cute. Riley is like a Golden Retreiver stuck in a cat's body. And Rambo is a very vocal kitty, like "Bad Ass Charlie the cat". He makes a sound with everything he does -- and the sounds arent always exactly meow sounds -- but his own weird but cute grunting kind of sounds. very cute indeed.

I've tried discussing this with her (I've been vegan since I was 12 and a vegetarian long before that)... she's never been accepting, nor will she listen. She's very closed-minded. She refuses to even discuss veganism with me. It hurts, to be honest. I mean, it's who I am, what I believe in, and what I am passionate about... yet she could care less. Thats kind of the attitude of everyone around here... very closed-minded and unaccepting of anyone's differences. So, I've just learned to accept that my views aren't accepted. It sucks and is rather frustrating. She gets angry whenever I talk about veganism... literally annoyed and agitated (and then procedes to eat more meat!) hmm.. could her actions be a result of guilt? LOL... ugh, i dont know anymore.

Awww.. u'r animals sound SO awesome! What fun personalities they have! My cat is very vocal too.. he sings all the time, as does my frog. My dog is like a 2 year old with a chronic case of ADHD... he desperately needs some doggy-ritalin! He's a blast tho and cheers me up whenever I'm down (like today, lol!)

Thanks for the advice, Nat.. and for letting me vent!

Ugh, I'm sorry your mom is so against you. That's gotta be tough. My parents aren't exactly supportive, but they don't attack me either. They just write me off as weird. They do accomodate me though, which is nice.

It's my sister that really thinks I'm a freak!

Edited by veggymeggy

Sorry to hear about your mom Shelby and your sister Meg. Do they not "love animals' though like dogs and cats? I am surprised that you guys love animal so much without having been raised in a household that loved at least pet animals? Correct me if I am making wrong assumptions. Especially your sister Meg-- I would have thought that younger generations are more open minded about veganism than our parents' generations. Has your sister viewed Meet your meat? Maybe you can send the link to her via email and asker her to "Make up your own mind after you watch this".

I am lucky because my mom happens to be "an animal lover" -- at least by her standards, though not by vegan standards. So when she viewed meet your meat (she was reluctant to do so but I really pushed and would not take no for an answer) she had somewhat of a change of heart and certainly understood why I fwelt compelled to be vegan.

It is hard not to reconsider your attitude when you see footage like that.

Have a great day ladies.

And Shelby -- dont let the people around you bring you down. In fact, I suspect that the reason why they attack your ways is beacuse YOU are doing something that they KNOW they should also be doing but just dont want to. In other words, you make them feel guilty because your choice highlights their own lack of compassion, and nobody wants to think of themselves as lacking compassion or mercy. So them attacking you and putting you down for your beliefs is a defence mechanism for them.

Not that that helps you out at all.

Thanks for the input and support, Meg and Nat! It's comforting to know that I'm not the only one who struggles with this. As for my mom, she is not an animal-lover... more like a tolerater. She puts up with my "mini-zoo" but doesn't like the fact that I have animals. (lol, i bet she can't wait for me and my kids to move out!) In fact, she even gave away my old Basset Hound behind my back when I was away one summer. I was SO upset that I didn't talk to her for over a month. (and yes, I am scared to death that she will do the same thing with Simon... hence the reason I almost never leave the house, lol j/k). So, that's how my mom is.. not exactly fun to live with, let me tell ya! I'm praying that this ner Personal Training job will bring in enough money (QUICKLY) so that I can move out--- heck, I'd be happy with the smallest studio apartment available! Ugh... I swear I was adopted! LOL

Thanks again u guys! U all rock!

<3 Shelby

Hi Shelby,

Sorry to hear about your Mum. I get grief from my mum too - tho not as much as I used too. 'I don't know any other vegans' etc etc. Whenever I am a bit ill or rundown all I get 'Is it because of your diet'. I just ignore it. My Mum means well - as I'm sure yours does too - but mums do not always know best, whatever they believe. They have to respect our decision. Even if they are not happy with it, they should not continously nag. They should just leave us to get on with it and let us be happy with the choices we have made.

As for your mum giving your Bassett Hound away behind your back - that's awful..... Very sorry to read about that.