i'm gonna get fast... i hope

Weird...maybe it was everyone prepping for their new year's resolution to be distant to strangers.

How did the run feel???

It felt ok. my groin didn't hurt, but I can sense it feels slightly different from one side to the other. By the time I got to 20 km my legs were getting sore, probably partly due to my run yesterday (which was at a faster tempo).

if they tell you to stop running but you liked body-checking stuff you could take up hockey

Haha, yeah I can imagine what an intimidating presence I would be on the ice. I body check mostly because I don't have other options short of stopping and asking someone to please move. I usually figure since they look right at me, they're going to do the polite thing and NOT take up the entire sidewalk. I usually call out when I'm within a few seconds of them, but if they don't move then they get the full brunt of 108 pounds.

She's Canadian..which means she plays hockey 8 hours a day anyway...if she says she doesn't its probably because she plays in her sleep.

So you probably don't believe that I am completely disinterested in hockey? I just can't bring myself to care...

Plus, I'm usually doing other things (or people) in my sleep.

• Replies 471
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think that means your playing hockey and scoring goals on people in your sleep. Also you probably don't like it because you play too much when you're sleeping.

I think that means your playing hockey and scoring goals on people in your sleep. Also you probably don't like it because you play too much when you're sleeping.

I do enjoy goal scoring...

I just did my usual upper body workout today. I was going to do yoga but my thighs feel a bit tight and yoga usually makes that a little worse.

I have good news and bad news.

The physiotherapist doesn't think it'll take long to correct my injury (minor hip mis-alignment). Apparently my right hip juts forward a bit more than the other side, which is why the hip flexor is strained.

But she also wants me to stop running for a bit, probably close to two weeks, to allow my body time to get realigned properly. She was trying to make it "pop" back into place, but couldn't this time. Once it does, I have to wait another five days before running. My next appt. is monday, so I'm hoping it pops then and I can get back to business.

When I was leaving I felt a pop in my hip, but I was too afraid to say anything since I had already cried in front of her over not being able to run. Well, she says I CAN run, but it will take longer to fix the problem.

So I can't go for the speed work training, possibly until February, because of the way it is set up. I am sorely disappointed about this. I have my duffel bag of stuff with me today because it was supposed to start tonight. I've e-mailed the coach to see if I can start mid-way through the month, but still pay for the whole month (as they make it very clear you can't pro-rate it.)

Apparently I can swim and bike, but I don't do either and have no interest in either, so it looks like I just won't do anything but yoga and lifting. I guess I'll have to stop eating as much too, because my metabolism will be slowed down.

I know two weeks isn't a big deal, but I'm feeling the seasonal affective disorder pretty strongly these days, so I'm not quite sure how I'm going to get through the next two weeks.

You'll be fine. Don't worry your gonna have better times than last year no matter what. As for the speedwork...really this just means you may wind up peaking for later races.

You'll be fine. Don't worry your gonna have better times than last year no matter what. As for the speedwork...really this just means you may wind up peaking for later races.

Thanks. If all goes well I will miss two speed work sessions only, so hopefully it won't set me back too much.

I did an upper body workout this morning (1/2 hour) and will do some yoga tonight. Tomorrow night we are going to go swimming and I will do some water running.

My plans to swim have now been thwarted two days in a row by the pool being closed unexpectedly. Hopefully I'll have better luck tomorrow.

Friday I did no exercise, and today I did a half hour walk and will follow up with 1/2 an hour of yoga and an upper body work out.

Tomorrow we plan to swim, and I may go for a walk again and/or do a core exercise workout. I am doing my physio stretches twice a day as well.

you should incorporate some more body-checking into your non-running training.

I hear that the really progressive physiotherapist recommed it.

you want her to play hockey? Or take up skating so she could slam ppl against the boards?

neither, just body-check people randomly....works the ...eerrr core muscles.

Plus you could make it like a message thing and like body-check people in the grocery store when they pick up a oscar meyer hot dog 6-pack.

"what the hell bro"

"Sorry Its a disease, I unconsciously body check people when they are about to eat bad food"

and then hand them an OA pamplet and a bananna?

Friday I did no exercise, and today I did a half hour walk and will follow up with 1/2 an hour of yoga and an upper body work out.

I actually followed up with nothing on Saturday. But on Sunday I went for a 3k walk, swam for an hour, and did 1/2 hour of yoga. This morning I did an arms workout.

I went for another physio appointment this morning. She says I'm looking much better, much more aligned, and wants me to try an easy 5k run tomorrow focusing on my core. She wants me to see how I feel afterwards, but I don't really know what I'm looking for because I never really had pain before, after or during running anyway. I am going back on Thursday. She can't assure me that I can join the speed work group for the Jan. 16 session though, which is frustrating.

I say do more yoga...I don't think any guys is ever gonna complain about a vegan woman being to flexible

Well, my yoga for runners classes start next Monday.

Seriously though, I've been doing yoga for nearly two years off and on, and my flexibility has improved only a small amount. It has helped to improve my strength much more.

So I did the physiotherapist prescribed 1/2 hour run this morning. I did just short of 5k... took it really slow. No snow on the roads, and a break in the rain too! She told me to pretty much do a kegel through the whole run, which I tried my best to do. No pain or discomfort, but there never has been. She's added some lunges to my routine, and I think I'm going to start some core exercises on my own. Runners World has a special section on it this issue. Maybe I'll get a six pack.

This is one of the runners featured in the article, Carrie Tollefson. She has a great runner's physique. I'm getting close to that, and it's what I'm aiming for. Of course she's a sprinter, but we seem to have similar body types (she's 5'9" and 120 lbs)

http://www.fast-women.com/photos/2004/olympictrials04/dayeight36.jpg

Well, I can start running again.

But only 30 minutes. And only every other day.

I can increase that incrementally. But it'll take weeks to build back to where I left off.

I'm not happy. I realize I have to do what she tells me to do though. But this means the main race I have been planning on doing is out. It isn't worth doing it if I can't do it in the time I want. And I don't think I'll have enough time with this set back to get to where I want to be.

This sucks. And to think, it's all for an injury I don't even feel when running.

I ran about 5k tonight, in about 27 minutes. I listened to Chi running part one before I went. I tried to listen to part 2 while I ran but I couldn't get it loud enough. So I just tried to incorporate what I learned in part one while I was running.

I was a beautiful night for a run. Almost no wind, clear roads, temperature just below freezing. It was a good way to end a crappy day.

We swam on Friday night. Yesterday I ran about 40 minutes. Today I walked for 40 minutes.

I'm doing my stretches and stuff twice a day. It takes quite a bit of time.

I'm not going to run tomorrow even though I'm scheduled to, because the weather is nicer for Tuesday. I'm going to run Tuesday am and Wednesday pm. We start yoga for runners tomorrow.

Takes awhile to get use putting your face in the water.

It took me awhile to get it back, but I still get annoyed with the water in my face

Besides who wants to be in a dirty pool.

I rather be swimming open water.

Are you aqua jogging Pamela?