soy protein-- too much of a good thing?

so i've heard that it's not good for males to eat more than 25g of Soy protein a day because in breaking down the protein, the body produces estrogen precursors which can eventually lead to prostate problems, storing more body fat, etc. etc.

Is this true? Has anyone noticed that cutting down on soy protein has actually made a difference in the gym?

If so, what protein sources are you using to supplement?

i'm using brown rice and non-soy vegetable protein. i'm looking into adding brewer's yeast flakes and possibly hemp protein into the mix as well.

any advice? thoughts? comments?

thx much,

craigmc

I've heard various things about eating too much soy but I've never worried about it.

When people actually tell me that in person, I usually pause for a minute and ask if they've heard that eating animal products leads to heart disease and cancer, the top killers of humans. I'd rather eat 500grams of soy protein a day than any grams of animal protein.

But I know what you mean, lots of things are tossed around all over the place that too much soy could be bad.........I'm not to sure about that but a good way to just be "safe" is to eat a variety of foods and get protein from a bunch of different sources. I still eat plenty of tofu and not worried about it.

As far as noticing a difference.......I've gone months at a time without soy and focused on beans, rice, broccoli, spinach, peanut butter and lentils and I was just as strong and just as ripped.

So soy is not a necessity, but it is convenient.

Heres something I wrote on it and used bodybuilding.com for some articles on it:

Soy protein is made up of 30% carbohydrates (15% from fiber), 38% protein, 18% oil (85% which is from unsaturated fats) and 14% moisture. It has potassium, zinc, iron, vitamin-E, phosphorous and the full B-Complex. Soy protein has high amounts of arginine and glutamine.

Soy protein is seen as a feminine product because phytoestrogens. Bodybuilders and fitness enthusiasts avoid taking soy protein because they believe that it raises estrogen levels and decreases testosterone levels. By believing this claim, it leads them to hypothesize that soy protein will cause a person to have thyroid problems. Also low energy, infertility, and digestive troubles are believed to be caused by soy protein.

The American College of Sports and Medicine with the sponsor of US National Dairy Council, showed that what the common bodybuilder views on soy protein were wrong. Taking the soy protein as a post-workout shake showed that taken soy with milk helped with muscle hypertrophy. There was no change in testosterone levels as believed.

Soy protein is gradually digested while whey protein is digested more quickly. This reminds me of the combined effects of casein and whey protein that many bodybuilders observe.

men only have so many estrogen receptors. and even if all of those were "filled up", you wouldnt noticea significant difference. I'm no scientist but I know what works for me.

so far soy works for me, ive never been more testosterone driven, stronger, and healthier. I gained 30lbs thanks to eating soy.

• 1 month later...

this report is a meat eaters wet dream. it's a case of seeing what you want to see. it's something they can't point to and say "see, soy is bad for you. that's why i eat meat".

here is a link i found to counter the arguement that too much soy causes a dip in testosterone.

i find it interesting that meat eaters will put so much faith in one single report about the alleged negative effects of soy, but choose to completely ignore the decades of research that link meat eating to colon cancer and heart disease.

i find it interesting that meat eaters will put so much faith in one single report about the alleged negative effects of soy, but choose to completely ignore the decades of research that link meat eating to colon cancer and heart disease.

I couldn't agree more. I deal with this all the time.