i'm gonna get fast... i hope

• Replies 471
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You can do it in an open pool and just swim the perimeter until you hit your head

Yeah I would be everyone's worse enemy smashing into people

I don't think you can catch a draft with back. And you're kicking more. So I would run out of energy with the bike.

Pros and cons ! I could use the huge goggles and a snorkel !

I don't know quite what to say about the above dialogue...

We went to yoga for runners tonight. We actually really enjoyed it. Everyone was really friendly and it was very relaxed. So today I will have done an hour of physiotherapist-ordered stretches, and an hour of yoga.

I don't know quite what to say about the above dialogue...

We went to yoga for runners tonight. We actually really enjoyed it. Everyone was really friendly and it was very relaxed. So today I will have done an hour of physiotherapist-ordered stretches, and an hour of yoga.

Aw just pretend that Potter and I are in your living room and you just step out to grab us some food. And you came in the middle of our conversation

What are you stretches like?

Aw just pretend that Potter and I are in your living room and you just step out to grab us some food. And you came in the middle of our conversation

Too bad it's not true!

What are you stretches like?

Things like lunges and kegels and other stuff that works/stretches my hip flexors and strengthens my core. I've also added in a few of my own, like prolonged upward facing dogs and planks (holding for a couple minutes) and bicycle crunches. Oh and I have to stand on my right leg a lot. I usually read or watch TV while I'm doing that.

This morning I did my stretches and then ran for 45 minutes, about 7.5km. I'm incorporating some new stuff into my running form so I'm slowing it down a bit while I get used to it. Also, road conditions weren't great today. But it was nice and sunny, and virtually no wind.

• 2 weeks later...
Pamela,

I just wanted to tell you that your new Avatar is just so darn cute!!!!

Thanks. It's one of my "in the spirit of the peta contest" photos that I took of myself.

You look 16 in that photo

Is that good?

---

I haven't really updated this for a bit because my heart hasn't been in it. I'm so far from where I was at that it is kind of depressing to report on it. However, I should log 40 km this week which puts me a bit closer to where I want to be (sort of... I want to be at 60-70 km/week). Last week I only did 24 km because of the "rules" I am following from the physiotherapist. Now I've built up to hour-long+ runs so I'm feeling a bit more optimistic about everything. I won't get to do the first race I had planned, but I should be ready to kick some ass on an early half marathon a few weeks later.

I also haven't had much time for weights, since I now spend an hour a day doing stretching and strengthening exercises. I'm doing more ab and core work, including 120 bicycle crunches a day, plus holding planks, and plank push ups. We went for our second yoga for runners class and it's a pretty good work out too. I was sore almost the entire week after my first session! This second one I was ok after.

Its nice to see you're at least getting decent mileage in. It could be better but thats the case for everyone. Just give it time and things will come along just fine.

Its nice to see you're at least getting decent mileage in. It could be better but thats the case for everyone. Just give it time and things will come along just fine.

Thanks Jeremy. Yeah I'm trying to be patient, and really listen to my body.

I went to physio yesterday and she says I'm doing really great, and that I'll more than likely be ready to start the speed work group in February. I'm going back once right before it starts to be sure, but as long as I keep doing my strengthening and stretching exercises and be careful when running, it should be a go!

So yesterday I did a light upper body workout in the morning, my stretches/strengthening exercises twice (about an hour and 15 total) and I went for a 6.5k run.

Saturday I ran 6k at a very easy pace, and Sunday I did 12.5k at a faster pace. Now I'm off running until tomorrow. Last night I had yoga for runners, and it kicked my ass. Still spending 1-1.5 hours a day doing stretching and strengthening exercises.

On Wednesday I ran 7k in insane wind. Effort-wise it was probably the same as doing 10-11!

On Thursday I did 11k. I wanted to do more but held back. I'm hoping to get in a couple runs on the weekend.

I've done no other exercise in the past few days because I've had something on every night of the week.

On a positive note, we had a dishwasher installed yesterday, so that will give me a few extra hours a week I didn't have before.

• 1 month later...

"Real life" has been occupying a lot of my time lately.

I was sick for three weeks.... big cold, bronchitis, and a sinus infection. So I couldn't run for the whole time. Now I'm back at it, but it's like starting over. Kind of sucks. The good news is the hip flexor issue seems to be in the past... three weeks off was good for something! I've had to totally revise my race plans, but I plan to do a half marathon at the end of May.

Thanks for checking in on me.