LTV Training Log

Thursday December 27, 2007:

DB Flat Press: 8 reps with 65lb DBs (warm-up set)

DB Flat Press: 5x6 with 85lb DBs

One Arm DB Row: 5x6 with 90lb DB

Incline DB Press (palms-in): 5x6 with 75lb DBs (only made 4 on last set)

Close Grip Cable Row: 5x6 with 160lbs

(These excercises were superset by performing excercises 1-4 with NO REST between excercises, the 1-2 minutes rest before beginning again)

Wide Grip Cable Pulldown: 5x6 with 180lbs

Cable Crossovers (various positions): 5x6 with 50,60,50,60,50lbs

Incline Bench Reverse DB Fly: 5x6 with 25lbs

Seated Plate Loaded Calf Press: 135lbs for 15,15,12,12,12 reps

(These excercises were superset by performing excercises 1-4 with NO REST between excercises, the 1 minute rest before beginning again)

I've been doing a lot of physical activity for the past couple days, so I did not have much energy for working out. Somehow made it to the gym last night, even though I was pretty tired.

I played with my grip and arm angles a little bit on the flat and incline presses to try to get really intense contractions. My chest is a bit sore today which is nice. The DB rows with 90lbs are starting to feel a little light, even when practiced with controlled movement and pause at the top of each rep. I think I will try a 100lb DB next time I do those.

I was working in with another guy on the cable crossover machine, and he kept changing the height (incline, decline, regular). I find myself varying my routine on the fly if necessary in order to keep up the pace of the supersets. I only needed an incline bench and flat bench to do my first superset, but the second one required four different stations, so I was running all over the place.

I really worked hard to keep the rest periods between sets short. I completed 40 working sets in 50 minutes! I wasn't lifting incredibly heavy, but the intensity was definitely there...

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Josh, "Super-Intense" definitely sums it up.

I would end up "overtraining" and eventually wind up injuring myself if I did this all the time. However, it does seem to work really well when I do it for 1/3 of my workout cycle.

Friday December 28, 2007:

Incline Curls: 5x6 with 45lb DBs

Tricep Cable Pushdown: 5x6 with 80lbs

Hammer Curls: 5x6 with 35lbs

Overhead DB Extension: 5x6 with 70lb DB

(These excercises were superset by performing excercises 1-4 with NO REST between excercises, the 1-2 minutes rest before beginning again)

One Arm Preacher Curls: 5x6 with 30lb DB

Close-Grip Palms-In Flat Press: 5x6 with 65lb DBs

Standing Military Press: 5x6 with 95,105,105(5 reps),95,95(4 reps)

Upright Rows: 5x6 with 80lbs

The only excercise I upped the weight on was upright rows. Like last night, I kept the rest periods very short. Even though I've done these weights before, it only took about 75% as much time to complete the same amount of work when I did it tonite. I watched the clock throughout the workout to pace myself. Like last night, the whole workout took 50 minutes.

This is typically the type of improvement I see in the last two weeks of this program. My weights don't go up, but I am able to complete the same amount of work in much less time.

I really enjoy watching the looks on peoples faces as they watch me complete four excercises in the time it takes them to do one set.

Tomorrow is another leg day. I'm thinking of experimenting with ATG squats instead of just going to parallel. I've never tried them before, and I'm interested to see how they feel.

-Chris

Sunday December 30, 2007:

Wide Stance BB Squats (just below parallel): 8x135lbs (warm-up set)

Wide Stance BB Squats (just below parallel): 5x6 with 185,205,205,205,205lbs

DB Lunges: 5x6 with 55lb DBs

Seated Leg Extension Machine: 5x6 with 130,130,130,130,140lbs

Seated Ham Curl Machine: 5x6 with 240,240,240,240,255lbs

(These excercises were superset by performing excercises 1-4 with NO REST between excercises, the 3-5 minutes rest before beginning again)

DB Squats (to parallel): 5x6 with 100,105,110,115,115lb DBs <<<

Leg Extension Machine (different machine): 5x6 with 240lbs

Donkey Calf Raise Machine: 210lbs for 10,10,10,10,8 reps

Standing Calf Raise Machine: 120lbs for 12,10,10,10,12 reps

(These excercises were superset by performing excercises 1-4 with NO REST between excercises, the 3-4 minutes rest before beginning again)

My lower back felt really weird (in a bad way) yesterday... All day I was debating whether to postpone my leg workout, or just substitute hack squats and leg press for the squats I had planned.

I decided to wait a day so I could do real squats!

Went as wide as I've ever gone on the Wide-Stance "Ballet" Squats. I'm getting pretty deep too... I'm pretty sure the top of my quads were about 1" below the top of my knees for every rep. (I don't have a spotter, and that is my best estimate from what I could see in the mirror ). I never really felt comfortable with these in the past. The narrow stance squat always felt much more natural for me. Tonight, I was starting to find a groove that worked for me with the wide-stance. My inner quads definitely feel the difference.

Hit some new numbers on the leg-extension and ham-curl machines. Probably could have done the higher weight for all sets, but I would have had to increase my rest period even longer, which I didn't want to do.

So tonight I figured out that my gym does in fact have DBs in 5lb increments up to 120lbs... They're just missing the 95lb DBs, which threw me off. With this knowledge in hand, I decided to see how far I could go with the DB squats.

I ended up doing 2 sets of 6 reps with 115lb DBs! My previous PB for this was 100lb DBs, and I just reached that last week. At 230lbs total, this is the most weight I've ever lifted for reps, for any free-weight excersise. This has got me thinking that I need to try regular deadlifts soon just to see how much I can lift. I wouldn't have to go nearly as far down before the plates hit the ground (as opposed to DB squats), so I'd probably be able to do 275-300lbs for reps. Hmmmm....

Workout took 60 minutes total, including warm-up set. Could have done it faster, but I would have had to drop some weights.

-Chris

Tuesday January 1, 2008:

Incline DB Press: 65 x 8 reps (warm-up set)

Incline DB Press: 5x6 with 80lb DBs

One Arm Row: 5x6 with 90,90,90,90,100lb DB <<<

Flat DB Press: 5x6 with 85,85,85(5 reps),85(4 reps),80lb DBs

DB Pullovers: 5x6 with 60lb DB

(These excercises were superset by performing excercises 1-4 with NO REST between excercises, the 3-5 minutes rest before beginning again)

Wide Grip Pullups: Bodyweight x 5,5,5,5,4 reps

Incline DB Fly: 5x6 with 50lb DBs

Incline Bench Reverse Fly: 5x6 with 25lb DBs

Seated Plate Loaded Calf Press: 135lbs x 15,15,15,12,15 reps

(These excercises were superset by performing excercises 1-4 with NO REST between excercises, the 1 minute rest before beginning again)

I couldn't make it to the gym yesterday before they closed, so I had yet another day off. Should be back on track now that the holidays are over.

My gym was super dead, so I didn't have anyone competing for space/benches/DBs/etc... After collecting all the DBs necessary for my first superset and setting them up around the benches I was going to be working on, it struck me that I am playing with some heavy ass dumbbells these days. (for me anyways )

The One-Arm Row with 100lb DB is a personal best. Did six reps with really nice controlled form and pause at top. Other than that, I didn't really lift super heavy today, but I did tear through the workout really fast.

40 working sets completed in 48 minutes!!!

-Chris

Wednesday January 2, 2008:

Seated DB Curls: 5x6 with 45lb DBs

Lying Tricep DB Extension: 5x6 with 35lb DBs

Concentration Curls: 5x6 with 35lb DB

Tricep Kickbacks: 5x6 with 30lb DB

Reverse Grip EZ Bar Curls: 5x6 with 75,80,80,80,80lbs

Dips (tricep emphasis): 5x15 with bodyweight

Seated BB Overhead Press: 5x6 with 95,115,135,135(5 reps),115lbs

DB Lateral Raises: 5x6 with 30lb DBs

Insanely fast workout tonite! 42 minutes total to complete 40 working sets!!!

Bicep and Tricep work definitely wasn't easy at this pace, but most of these weights are new PBs as of a couple weeks ago. I consider the real improvement to be the fact that I managed the same or better weights and volume as last week in only 76% the time.

I had some PBs on the second superset; I moved up to 80lbs for the Reverse Grip EZ Bar curls, and I also did two sets of Seated BB Overhead Presses with 135lbs!!! I haven't done this excercise in at least two months, and my previous PB was only 95lbs for reps. For those two months I've just been doing Seated DB Overhead Presses and Standing BB Overhead Presses. I was extremely surprised when I did the first set at 95lbs and it seemed SO LIGHT!!!

Only four more workouts until I am done with this workout cycle. Of course two of those days are LEG DAYS...

I'm thinking about switching to a different program starting next week. I've been on this current progression for two consecutive 6-week cycles, and I'm starting to get a little bored. There are so many interesting programs out there, it will be hard to choose one. I guess I've got a few days to figure it out.

-Chris

Friday January 4, 2008:

BB Squats (to parallel): 135lbs x 8 reps (warm-up set)

BB Squats (to parallel): 5x6 with 225lbs (only 5 reps on last set)

Lying Ham Curl Machine: 5x6 with 120,120,120,120,130lbs

Straight-Leg Deadlift: 5x6 with 185lbs

(These were superset by performing exercises 1-4 with NO REST between exercises, then 3-5 minutes rest before beginning again)

Plate Loaded Leg Press: 5x6 with 410,430,430,430,430lbs

One Leg Standing Ham Curl Machine: 5x6 with 60,65,65,60,60lbs

Seated Calf Press Machine: 400lbs x 25,23,20,20,18 reps

Standing One Leg Calf Raise: 5x6 with bodyweight

(These were superset by performing exercises 1-4 with NO REST between exercises, then 1 minute rest before beginning again)

Managed to lift 225lbs on all five sets of BB Squats which was nice.

That first set is by far my most dreaded superset... the combination of Squats, Stiff-Leg Deadlifts, and Lunges is brutal. I feel like I'm on vacation while I'm doing the lying ham curls!

I hit some new numbers on the Plate Loaded Leg Press and One-Leg Standing Ham Curl machine tonite. I'm pretty sure 25 reps with 400lbs on the calf machine is a PR as well.

Workout took 60 minutes total (including one warm-up set of squats).

-Chris

Saturday January 5, 2008:

DB Flat Press: 65lb DBs x 8 reps (warm-up set)

DB Flat Press: 5x6 with 85,85,90,90,90lb DBs

One Arm DB Row: 5x6 with 100lb DB

Incline Press (Palms-In): 5x6 with 75lb DBs

T-bar Pulley Row: 5x6 with 160lbs

(These were superset by performing exercises 1-4 with NO REST between exercises, then 3-5 minutes rest before beginning again)

Wide Grip Pullup: 5 sets - 6,6,5,5,4 reps

Incline Cable Crossovers: 5x6 with 50,60,60,60,60lbs

Incline Bench Reverse Fly: 5x6 with 25lb DBs

Donkey Calf Raise Machine: 210lbs x 10,10,10,9,8 reps

(These were superset by performing exercises 1-4 with NO REST between exercises, then 1 minute rest before beginning again)

Went to the gym pretty late, so it was empty. Like last week, I was able to have an incline and flat bench, right next to each other, all to myself.

I'm really happy with my numbers on the DB Flat Press and One Arm Rows tonite. I can totally see Flat Pressing 100lb DBs on the horizon in a month or two if I continue to progress like this...

I usually alternate between Reverse DB Flys and Seated Rear Delt Machine, but for the last few workouts there has ALWAYS been someone working on the machine. Having to work in with someone else would really slow my pace (machine was set up for regular flys not rear delt) so I've just been doing the DB Reverse Flys. I think this may have been a good thing, because I'm really starting to find the groove on these... I had really nice contractions tonite, and there was no doubt as to what was being stimulated.

I was on a mission to beat my last time for this workout, while also lifting heavier and doing more reps on some excercises... I beat my last time my 3 minutes, completing tonight's workout in 47 minutes total. This was my last chest/back day in this 6-week cycle and I am pleased with my progress.

My legs are totally rocked from yesterday. I have a little soreness in my left knee, but it doesn't seem serious. I'm sure it will be better by Monday when I'm planning on hitting legs again.

-Chris

Sunday January 6, 2008:

Incline DB Curls: 5x6 with 45,50,50,50,45 (only 5 reps on 4th set) <<<

Tricep Cable Pushdown: 5x6 with 80,90,90,90,90lbs

Hammer Curls: 5x6 with 35,35,35,40,40lb DBs

Overhead DB Tricep Extension: 5x6 with 70lb DB

(These were superset by performing exercises 1-4 with NO REST between exercises, then 1-2 minutes rest before beginning again)

One Arm Preacher Curls: 5x6 with 30,35,35,30,30lb DB

Close Grip DB Press (palms-in): 5x6 with 70lb DBs

Seated Overhead BB Press: 5x6 with 115lbs

Upright Rows: 5x6 with 80,80,80,80,85lbs

Personal Records tonite for six of eight exercises!!!

Went to the gym really late again, hoping it would be empty, and it was. I had to share a 30lb DB for some of my preacher curls, but other than that there was nobody to slow me down. I wasn't very motivated, but once I started working out that all changed. Maybe it was those 50lb dumbbells on the incline curls... I was like "holy crap, I'm actually doing this!!!"

I was working on my form on the Seated Overhead Barbbell Press, so I didn't go quite as heavy tonite (may have been arching my back too much when lifting 135lbs last time).

Completed my 40 working sets in 43 minutes. I still had energy when I was done lifting, so I did some crunches and leg raises. I've only worked my abs 2-3 times in the past month...

The soreness in my knee is almost gone, so I should be able to hit legs tomorrow as planned. I still haven't decided on what program I'm going to switch to this week. I'm torn, because I'm getting such great results with this one, yet I'm bored out of my mind and it's adversely affecting my motivation.

As I type this I am realizing that my biceps are seriously rocked...

-Chris

Edited by LongTimeVegan

Monday January 7, 2008:

Wide Stance BB Squats (to parallel): 8 x 135lbs (warm-up set)

Wide Stance BB Squats (to parallel): 5x6 with 205lbs (only 5 reps on 5th set)

Seated Leg Extension Machine: 5x6 with 140,140,140,140,150lbs

Seated Ham Curl Machine: 5x6 with 255,255,255,255,270lbs

BB Deadlift: 8 x 135 (warm-up set)

BB Deadlift: 5x6 with 225,205,205,205,185lbs

Lying Ham Curl Machine: 5x6 with 130,140,130,130,130lbs

Standing Calf Machine: 5x15 with 120,130,130,130,130lbs

One Leg Calf Raises: Bodyweight x 10,10,10,6,6 reps

(These were superset by performing exercises 1-4 with NO REST between exercises, then 2-3 minutes rest before beginning again)

My gym was pretty busy tonite, but everyone seemed more interested in bench pressing and doing curls than squatting. Nobody was waiting for me to finish with the rack, which is unusual. It was actually empty for 20 minutes after I was done!

My knee still hurt a little bit today, but I decided to give it a go anyways. The Wide Stance Squats weren't bothering it, and I managed 205lbs for all sets. I'm really getting the hang of the wide stance now, my knees didn't even come close to wavering tonite.

I hit some new numbers on the Ham Curl and Leg Extension Machines.

Decided to try BB Deadlifts tonite, instead of doing DB squats in my second superset. I've done Straight-Leg Deadlifts for some time now, and 185lbs is my working weight for reps on that exercise, but I've NEVER done regular deadlifts before.

It was a little difficult to get my foot width and grip width sorted out. Maybe this is because I'm kinda tall, with long limbs (6'2"). What ended up feeling most comfortable was a wide stance and wide grip. I think I will start working on this exercise, because 225lbs is pretty lame considering I can squat that much for reps. I guess my back was already pretty rocked from the first 5 sets of squats, but still....

140lbs is another PR on the Lying Ham Curl Machine, and I think sets of 15x130lbs on the Standing Calf Machine is a PR as well.

Workout took 65 minutes to complete, including warm-up sets.

This wraps up this 6-week cycle, and I am very happy with my progress. My weight has been hovering around 212.0-213.5lbs for the past week.

I still haven't decided on a new program... I guess I'll figure it out tomorrow. Many of the workout splits I see have you taking 2-3 days off each week, but I really like lifting 6 days a week, and hitting each body part twice a week. Whatever it is, it's going to include regular deadlifts at least once a week.

-Chris

Tuesday January 8, 2007:

DB Flat Press:

8 x 70lb DBs (warm-up set)

5 x 90lb DBs

5 x 95lb DBs

5 x 95lb DBs

4 x 95lb DBs

5 x 90lb DBs

Incline DB Press:

5 x 80lb DBs

5 x 75lb DBs

5 x 75lb DBs

5 x 75lb DBs

5 x 75lb DBs

Decline BB Press:

8 x 155lbs

5 x 175lbs

5 x 175lbs

5 x 185lbs

4 x 185lbs

DB Flys:

5 x 45lb DBs

5 x 40lb DBs

5 x 40lb DBs

5 x 40lb DBs

5 x 40lb DBs

Decline Cable Flys:

6 x 50lbs

5 x 60lbs

5 x 60lbs

5 x 60lbs

5 x 60lbs

Incline Cable Flys:

5 x 45lbs

6 x 50lbs

5 x 60lbs

5 x 60lbs

5 x 60lbs

Seated Calf Press: 400lbs x 22,28,14,15,14 reps

Pushups (medium grip on knuckles): 15,12,12,12,11 reps

(These were superset by performing exercises 1-2 with NO REST between exercises, then 1 minute rest before beginning again)

I decided to spend this week focusing on muscles that are lagging behind. That will give me some time to decide on a new training routine.

Tonight was an all out attack on the chest.

I don't know if my gym just got 95lb DBs, or if they were there all along and I just couldn't ever find them. Regardless, they were there tonight, and I couldn't resist trying to flat press them. This was my first time pushing 95's so I was pretty happy that I knocked out three sets. My chest was pretty much rocked after that, so no new PR's on the other exercises.

I decided to try Decline BB Press and Flat Bench Flys since I haven't done those over six months (maybe more). My chest was already depleted, but it felt good to change things up a bit.

My chest was so sore by the time I got to the Calf Press! I was almost afraid to try pushups for fear that I'd look like a fool only being able to do 3 or 4. As it turns out, I still had a little left, and was able to knock five sets as planned.

It took me 65 minutes to complete 40 working sets. This workout definitely felt REALLY EASY after two weeks of supersetting 4 excercises at a time.

I think I'm going to work shoulders tomorrow, quads and calves the next day, then repeat.

-Chris

So I was going to take a week off, but my nutrition started falling off. This is an ongoing problem for me. When I work out everyday, I pay really close attention to my nutritional intake. When I don't work out, I slack and don't get the proper nutrition.

So after three days off, I went back at it.

Saturday January 12, 2008:

DB Overhead Press:

8 x 45lb DBs

5 x 60lb DBs

5 x 65lb DBs

5 x 65lb DBs

5 x 70lb DBs <<<

4 x 65lb DBs

Arnold Presses:

6 x 35lb DBs

5 x 40lb DBs

5 x 45lb DBs

5 x 45lb DBs

5 x 45lb DBs

DB Front Raises:

5 x 30lb DBs

5 x 35lb DBs

5 x 40lb DBs

5 x 40lb DBs

6 x 40lb DBs

Wide Grip Pullups:

6,6,6,5,4 reps

DB Lateral Raises:

5 x 30lb DBs

5 x 35lb DBs

5 x 35lb DBs

5 x 35lb DBs

5 x 35lb DBs

Wide Grip Lat Pulldown:

5 x 180lbs

5 x 190lbs

5 x 190lbs

5 x 180lbs

5 x 170lbs

Leg Raises:

10,8,8,6,6 reps

Today was mainly a shoulder day, but I threw in some Pullups/Pulldowns as well. I looked at my back the other day, which I haven't done in a couple months... My "v-taper" is really suffering from all the squats I've been doing. My mid-section is definitely much bigger than a couple months ago (muscle, not fat ).

So 65lb DBs is a PR for me on the Overhead DB Press, but who cares because I did a set with 70lb DBs!!! Yeah, buddy!

I've never done Arnold Presses before, so I decided to try them tonight. I kept the weight light so I could practice my form. Did these seated without any back support, which was a little challenging at first.

Haven't done DB front raises in a couple years, so I threw those in as well. I honestly can't remember how much I used to lift on these...

Made some PRs on both DB Lat raises and Wide Grip Pulldowns.

All in all, a really great workout. I am cycling OFF creatine ethyl-ester for a couple weeks, so I was expecting my strength to drop off a bit, but so far I'm doing really good!

Sunday January 13, 2008:

Front Squat (way past parallel):

8 x 45lbs (warm-up)

5 x 95lbs

5 x 115lbs

5 x 135lbs

5 x 135lbs

5 x 135lbs

Barbbell Lunges:

5 x 115lbs

5 x 135lbs

5 x 135lbs

5 x 135lbs

5 x 145lbs <<<

Plate Loaded Hack Squat Machine:

8 x 90lbs

5 x 140lbs

5 x 150lbs

5 x 150lbs

5 x 150lbs

Seated Leg Extension:

6 x 180lbs

5 x 180lbs

5 x 180lbs

5 x 180lbs

5 x 190lbs

5 x 200lbs

Plate Loaded Seated Calf Press:

10 x 135lbs

5 x 145lbs

5 x 155lbs

Donkey Calf Raises:

15 x 150lbs

18 x 90lbs

20 x 60lbs

(Calf Press and Donkey Calf Raises were superset with no rest between exercise 1-2, then 60 seconds rest before beginning again)

Standing Calf Raises:

15 x 100lbs

15 x 90lbs

14 x 90lbs

15 x 80lbs

13 x 80lbs

14 x 70lbs

14 x 70lbs

13 x 70lbs

17 x 60lbs

(Standing Calf Raises were done with 1 second pause at top. 60 seconds rest between each set)

Today I targeted my quads and calves.

I've never done front squats before, so that was fun. Got the hang of it by the second set, and was on my way. I went REALLY DEEP on these! I went basically half-way between parallel and touching my hams to calves.

Barbbell Lunges were fun too. My PR for these used to be 95lbs for reps, but tonight I did a set with 145lbs!!!

Went really heavy on the Leg Extension, while still keeping controlled motion and pause at top of each rep. I think 140lbs was my old PR for this, so this is a really dramatic increase. This may also have to do with the fact that I always do these after squatting heavy, which I didn't do tonight. Whatever the case, I'm very happy.

The structure of the three calf exercises were taken from a calf workout I found looking around online. My calves feel pretty rocked, so I think I'll try the other part of the workout in a couple days.

-Chris

Monday January 14, 2008:

DB Flat Press:

6 x 75lb DBs (warm-up)

6 x 95lb DBs

5 x 100lb DBs <<<

5 x 95lb DBs

5 x 95lb DBs

5 x 95lb DBs

Incline DB Press:

6 x 75lb DBs

6 x 75lb DBs

6 x 75lb DBs

6 x 75lb DBs

5 x 75lb DBs

Decline BB Press:

8 x 155lbs

6 x 185lbs

6 x 185lbs

4 x 185lbs

5 x 165lbs

DB Flys:

6 x 45lb DBs

6 x 45lb DBs

6 x 40lb DBs

6 x 40lb DBs

5 x 40lb DBs

Decline Cable Flys:

5 x 50lbs

6 x 50lbs

6 x 50lbs

7 x 50lbs

6 x 50lbs

Incline Cable Flys:

8 x 50lbs

8 x 50lbs

6 x 60lbs

5 x 60lbs

7 x 50lbs

Shoulder Height Cable Flys:

5 x 50lbs

6 x 50lbs

6 x 50lbs

7 x 50lbs

7 x 50lbs

Close Grip DB Flat Press (palms-in):

7 x 50lb DBs

6 x 55lb DBs

6 x 60lb DBs

5 x 65lb DBs

4 x 65lb DBs

Pushups (medium grip on knuckles):

8,8,8,8,7 reps

Today was another attempt at complete chest destruction. I'm really having fun taking a break from my regular routine so I can work on stubborn muscles.

I normally try to avoid working chest on Mondays, because everyone and their mom thinks Monday is THE DAY to work chest. I went pretty late, and it actually wasn't that bad.

Oh, by the way, did I mention yet that I flat pressed 100lb DBs tonight?

I thought it would be at least another month before I could push that much, but I just went for it tonight and surprised myself. My chest was definitely rocked after that. The other sets with 95lb dumbbells were challenging.

Managed 185lbs for three sets on the Decline Press which is also an improvement over last chest workout. I did a bunch of Cable Fly work after that, at which point my chest was completely fried.

My chest was burning like crazy on the Close Grip DB Presses! After that I did a few sets of pushups and only made like 8 reps per set...

I took me 90 minutes to complete 46 sets. I felt like I was at the gym forever! I can't remember the last time I was there for that long.

I'm pretty sure this is the most rocked my chest has ever felt.

-Chris

Tuesday January 15, 2008:

Today I focused on shoulders and also did the second half of that calf routine I found online.

Seated BB Overhead Press:

10 x 45lbs (Warm-Up)

6 x 120lbs

6 x 120lbs

6 x 135lbs

6 x 135lbs

8 x 115lbs

Arnold Presses (no back support):

5 x 45lb DBs

6 x 45lb DBs

6 x 45lb DBs

6 x 45lb DBs

6 x 45lb DBs

DB Front Raises:

6 x 45lb DBs

6 x 45lb DBs

6 x 45lb DBs

6 x 45lb DBs

6 x 45lb DBs

DB Lateral Raises:

6 x 35lb DBs

6 x 35lb DBs

6 x 35lb DBs

5 x 35lb DBs

5 x 35lb DBs

Upright Rows:

8 x 95lbs

6 x 105lbs

6 x 105lbs

6 x 105lbs

7 x 95lbs

Standing Calf Raise Machine:

10 x 140lbs

10 x 130lbs

10 x 100lbs

(these were performed with a 2 second pause at the top of each rep, and no rest between sets)

** 90 seconds rest **

10 x 100lbs

10 x 80lbs

8 x 60lbs

(these were performed with a 2 second pause at the top of each rep, and no rest between sets)

** 90 seconds rest **

10 x 70lbs

8 x 50lbs

8 x 30lbs

Leg Raises:

12,10,8,8,6 Reps

I'm pretty happy about my numbers on the BB Overhead Press. I feel strong when I'm doing 135lbs. I used to be totally amazed when I saw people do that, so it's nice to finally be doing it myself.

Had a PR on the upright rows tonight doing 3 sets with 105lbs.

I thought the drop set calf routine would be easy, but my calves were in serious pain for the last few sets. I was trying for 10 reps on each set, but only made 8 on a few, even though the weight was getting really light toward the end.

-Chris

Thursday January 17, 2008:

Incline Curls:

6 x 50lb DBs

6 x 50lb DBs

6 x 50lb DBs

6 x 50lb DBs

4 x 50lb DBs

Tricep Cable Pushdown:

6 x 90lbs

6 x 100lbs

6 x 100lbs

6 x 100lbs

4 x 110lbs

Reverse Grip EZ Bar Curls:

6 x 80lbs

6 x 85lbs

6 x 85lbs

6 x 85lbs

6 x 85lbs

6 x 85lbs :D

DB Tricep Kickbacks:

6 x 35lbs

6 x 35lbs

6 x 35lbs

6 x 35lbs :D

6 x 30lbs

Preacher Curls:

6 x 70lbs

6 x 70lbs

6 x 70lbs

6 x 70lbs

5 x 70lbs

One Arm DB Rows:

6 x 100lb DB

6 x 100lb DB

6 x 100lb DB

6 x 100lb DB

6 x 105lb DB

Friday January 18, 2008:

BB Squats (to parallel):

135lbs x 6 (warm-up set)

3 x 225

5 x 205lbs

5 x 205lbs

5 x 205lbs

5 x 205lbs

BB Lunges:

6 x 135lbs

6 x 135lbs

6 x 135lbs

6 x 145lbs

6 x 155lbs

Straight-Leg Deadlift:

6 x 185lbs

6 x 195lbs

6 x 205lbs

6 x 205lbs

6 x 205lbs

Plate Loaded Leg Press:

6 x 430lbs

6 x 450lbs

6 x 470lbs

5 x 470lbs

6 x 450lbs

Leg Extension Machine:

8 x 225lbs (tried a different machine for this set)

6 x 150lbs (switched to another machine I hadn't tried yet)

6 x 150lbs

8 x 150lbs

6 x 150lbs

Standing One-Leg Ham Curl Machine:

8 x 65lbs

6 x 70lbs

6 x 75lbs

6 x 75lbs

6 x 75lbs

8 x 135lbs

8 x 135lbs

8 x 145lbs

Donkey Calf Machine:

16 x 105lbs

18 x 60lbs

22 x 30lbs

(Calf Press and Donkey Raises were superset with no rest between exercise 1 and 2, then 90 seconds rest before beginning again)

Leg Raises:

14,14,10,8,9 reps

This was a really weird workout... I was super weak on squats tonight, failing after only 3 reps with 225lbs. I have NEVER experienced total failure squatting before, and luckily I had the rack set up right so I could just duck out without creating a big crashing scene in my gym. The really strange part is that my legs gave out, not my back. Every other time I've come close to failing, it's always been my back that was starting to collapse...

I've spent a great deal of time trying to figure out what the deal was, and it seems like there could be three potential causes for this: Firstly, I've been practicing sitting in the "third-world squat" position in an attempt to improve my squats. (article about this in T-nation). This may be changing the geometry of my squatting, transferring more weight to my legs. The second possibility is that I'm just weak because I haven't done Narrow Stance Back Squats in 2 weeks. Third possibility is that I've been working the 5 x 6 set structure for too long and it's time to go back to higher reps, lighter weight for a couple weeks.

Other than squats, I had a sick workout!!! :twisted:

>> Did a set of BB Lunges with 155lbs!

>> Three set of six with 205lbs on the Straight-Leg Deadlift!

>> New PR on the Plate Loaded Leg Press!

>> PR on the Ham Curl Machine!

-Chris

I finally found time to finish updating my log from the time that the board was down.

Sunday January 20, 2008:

DB Flat Press:

8 x 75lb DBs (warm-up set)

6 x 95lb DBs

6 x 100lb DBs

4 x 100lb DBs

5 x 95lb DBs

5 x 95lb DBs

Incline DB Press:

6 x 75lb DBs

7 x 75lb DBs

7 x 75lb DBs

6 x 75lb DBs

5 x 75lb DBs

Decline BB Press:

6 x 185lbs

6 x 185lbs

3 x 185lbs

6 x 155lbs

6 x 155lbs

Close Grip DB Press (palms-in):

4 x 60lb DBs

6 x 50lb DBs

6 x 50lb DBs

6 x 50lb DBs

6 x 50lb DBs

Shoulder Height Cable Crossovers:

8 x 50lbs

8 x 50lbs

8 x 50lbs

7 x 50lbs

10 x 45lbs

Incline BB Press:

26 x 45lbs

17 x 65lbs

11 x 85lbs

7 x 105lbs

17 x 45lbs

(these were done with no rest between sets, just time needed to add additional weight, or take it off in the case of the last set)

Managed two sets of flat-press with 100lb dumbbells tonight. Other than that, nothing special to report. A few reps of progress on incline dumbbell press. Really weak on everything else. The weird incline BB press thing at the end was just my attempt to fully destroy anything left in my chest. I did them really fast.

For the past couple weeks, I've been experiencing more burn, pump, and soreness than ever before in the muscle groups that I've been targeting. The weird thing is, my progress has slown down as compared to before, (when I'd only experience minor burn and muscle soreness).

The break from the routine has been fun, but I think it's time to go back to doing what works best for me. This means I'll be starting another 6-week workout cycle tomorrow.

Here is the basic format I'll be using:

Day 1: Chest/Back/Calves

Day 2: Biceps/Triceps/Shoulders

Day 3: Legs

Day 4: Chest/Back/Calves

Day 5: Biceps/Triceps/Shoulders

Day 6: Legs

Day 7: Rest

Weeks 1-2:

3 Sets of 10-12 reps for each exercise

Eight exercises total each day, arranged into two-exercise compound sets with 90 seconds rest between each exercise/set.

Weeks 3-4:

4 Sets of 8-10 reps for each exercise

Eight exercises total each day, arranged into two-exercise supersets, with no rest between exercises 1-2 in each set, then 1-3 minutes rest before beginning again.

Weeks 5-6:

5 Sets of 6-8 reps for each exercise

Eight exercises total each day, arranged into four-exercise supersets, with no rest between exercises 1-4 in each set, then 1-3 minutes rest before beginning again.

I'll find a way to change up some exercises from the last couple times around in an attempt to keep things interesting.

-Chris

Wednesday January 23, 2008:

One Arm DB Rows:

10 x 100lb DB

10 x 100lb DB

10 x 100lb DB

Incline DB Press:

12 x 70lb DBs

12 x 75lb DBs

10 x 80lb DBs

(these exercises were performed as compound sets, with 90 seconds rest between each exercise/set)

DB Pullovers:

12 x 50lb DB

12 x 55lb DB

12 x 60lb DB

Dips (forward lean for chest emphasis):

12 reps w/bodyweight

14 reps w/bodyweight

12 reps w/bodyweight

(these exercises were performed as compound sets, with 90 seconds rest between each exercise/set)

Wide Grip Pulldowns:

12 x 170lbs

12 x 170lbs

12 x 170lbs

Incline DB Flys:

14 x 40lb DBs

12 x 45lb DBs

12 x 45lb DBs

Bent Over Lat Raises (incline bench):

12 x 25lb DBs

12 x 25lb DBs

10 x 25lb DBs

15 x 135lbs

14 x 135lbs

12 x 135lbs

(these exercises were performed as compound sets, with 90 seconds rest between each exercise/set)[/b]

It's been close to two months since I've done any high rep work, and I was definitely working hard tonight!

I was surprised that I didn't have to drop the weight on the one-arm rows. Went really wide and deep on the incline DB flys and it felt good.

Workout took 50 minutes.

I've haven't taken any CEE for almost two weeks, so I'll probably start up with that again tomorrow or the next day.

My chest and lats are totally destroyed and are twitching non-stop.

-Chris

Thursday January 24, 2008:

Seated DB Curls:

10 x 45lb DBs

10 x 45lb DBs

11 x 40lb DBs

Lying DB Tricep Extension:

10 x 35lb DBs

10 x 30lb DBs

10 x 30lb DBs

Concentration Curls:

10 x 35lb DB

10 x 35lb DB

10 x 35lb DB

Tricep Kickbacks:

10 x 35lb DB

10 x 35lb DB

11 x 35lb DB

Reverse Grip EZ-Bar Curls:

10 x 80lbs

10 x 80lbs

10 x 75lbs

Dips (Tricep-Emphasis):

20 x Bodyweight

16 x Bodyweight

15 x Bodyweight

Seated DB Overhead Press:

8 x 60lb DBs

10 x 55lb DBs

9 x 55lb DBs

Upright Rows:

10 x 95lbs

10 x 95lbs

10 x 95lbs

Workout took 55 minutes tonight. My shoulders are pretty much rocked.

Going from 5-6 rep sets to 10 reps sets really sucks given that I have to drop weight on all my exercises, but my muscles are definitely destroyed, so I must be doing something right.

Looks like I'm up 5-15lbs on most my exercises compared to last time I was in this phase of my workout cycle (about 7 weeks ago).

Tomorrow is a leg day, which I'm dreading because I'm going to have to squat really light to squeeze out 10 reps.

-Chris

Saturday January 26, 2008:

Workout 3 of 36

ATG Squats:

10 x 185lbs

10 x 185lbs

10 x 195lbs

Lying Ham Curl Machine:

10 x 120lbs

10 x 130lbs

12 x 240lbs (different machine)

(these exercises were performed as compound sets, with 2-4 minutes rest between each exercise/set)

BB Lunges:

10 x 135lbs

10 x 135lbs

10 x 135lbs

Straight-Leg Deadlift:

10 x 185lbs

10 x 185lbs

10 x 195lbs

(these exercises were performed as compound sets, with 2-4 minutes rest between each exercise/set)

Plate Loaded Leg Press:

10 x 410lbs

10 x 410lbs

10 x 410lbs

One-Leg Ham Curl Machine:

10 x 50lbs

10 x 60lbs

10 x 60lbs

Seated Calf Press Machine:

21 x 400lbs (full stack)

15 x 400lbs

14 x 400lbs

One-Leg Calf Raises:

6 x bodyweight

10 x bodyweight

10 x bodyweight

So I've been working on my flexibility for the past few weeks by sitting in the full (ATG) squat position several times throughout the day. I've made some progress so I thought I'd give ATG Squats a try tonight since I've always just gone to parallel before.

It feels REALLY GOOD to go super deep like this!!!

I can totally see myself squatting like this from now on... My quads feel way more stimulated than usual. If I can get up to 225lbs doing ATGs I will be very happy.

Lunges almost killed me. I forgot how taxing high rep lunges and squats can be... My heart rate was just over 180 after the second and third sets. I really like using the BB for lunges when I'm compound/supersetting them with deadlifts because it gives my grip a chance to rest between deadlift sets. I can't always do this since my gym gets pretty busy at times, but it was pretty empty tonight so I took up two stations without anyone bothering me.

Workout took 68 minutes to complete.

-Chris

Sunday January 27, 2008:

Workout 4 of 36

Bent-Over BB Rows:

10 x 155lbs

10 x 165lbs

10 x 165lbs

Incline DB Press (palms-in):

10 x 75lb DBs

10 x 80lb DBs

9 x 80lb DBs

Close Grip Low-Pulley Rows:

10 x 150lbs

10 x 160lbs

10 x 160lbs

Pushups (medium grip on knuckles):

20 x bodyweight

16 x bodyweight

16 x bodyweight

Wide Grip Pulldowns:

10 x 180lbs

8 x 180lbs

10 x 160lbs

Incline Cable Crossover:

10 x 50lbs

10 x 60lbs

10 x 60lbs

Seated Rear Delt Machine:

10 x 135lbs

9 x 135lbs

8 x 120lbs

Donkey Calf Raise Machine:

11 x 225lbs

10 x 210lbs

10 x 195lbs

Didn't get adequate rest last night, and had poor nutrition today. I'm not the type to let that stop me though...

Workout took 49 minutes.

I am tired and sore. A quick check of my log says I made progress compared to the last time I was at this point in my cycle but I'm too beat to write about it.

Last night, I woke up three times with crazy tight/sore quads and had to massage and stretch them.

ATG Squats are no joke...

-Chris

That is hardcore!

Nice numbers and rep range on the ATG squats!

Thanks, Josh!

I felt a bit of a flu bug coming on Friday... it seemed to be going away over the weekend. Then, late last night it hit me big time.

I was totally out of commission today... Stayed home and watched a couple movies and ordered delivery. Hopefully this will be gone tomorrow and I can get back to business.

-Chris