HSOrlandos 2013 Journal: Being vegan in a non vegan world

• Replies 878
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Today I went for a Cardio Strength class, and it started late because the trainers got the schedule mixed up, they do alternate Saturdays. Anyway while everyone else was just waiting for someone to come and teach the class I actually warmed up on my own. During class I used 6, 8, and 12 pound weights. There were shoulder presses, which I still have trouble with. Also lateral raises, lots of squats, and lunges, bicep curls, tricep kickbacks, rows, pushups, and abs. I really didn't feel like running afterwards, but I made myself. I feel good that I ran 3 times this week, that's about 15k for the week. This is the first time that I have not had any mishap stopping me, there were no untied laces, and no falls to the ground. I'm comfortable enough running 3 miles now, but the 3rd time in the week is what gets me. I do a lot of other stuff though so I suppose that's why, I'll just keep at it and I'll get used to it. Heck I never thought I'd get this far, and in only four months too. Maybe one day I'll even run a marathon!

Today I did Step. I enjoyed it, and had a great workout but my left ankle's been a bit sore, it must have been from running, or possibly Kickboxing.

After the class, I was going to just read a book until BodyPump but the group exercise director invited me to watch him and another trainer study the new release for BodyPump. Every 3 months they change it up, and all certified BP instructors have to learn the new routine. Anyway I couldn't resist!! The order of exercises always stays the same, but the reps, and pace change. It was fun to watch, and feel like I was a part of it. Heck I'll probable learn the routine before them. Right before the BP class the trainer (group exercise director) said to me that one day I'd be teaching one of the classes. He's not the type of person to beat around the bush, so this remark meant the world to me. I know the steps I need to take, and I'm on my way. It's just nice having support in this from someone in the field. Tomorrow I'm finally ordering the book I need to study. I also increased my squat weight to 40lbs, but the new squat track will probably make me use a lesser weight, it's harder. I watched them practise the warmup, squat,chest, and back tracks, and a lot of them look harder than what we're already doing. Another good thing about the new release is there's better music to workout to.

After work I walked to the gym, about a mile I think. I did BP again. It was a good class, I always try to push myself. I was a little tired, not sore though from yesterdays classes. So on a few things I pretty much went to failure. I still have a hard time with the overhead shoulder presses at the end, it's the last exercise with the barbell. Anyway my form is finally getting a little better, I know what I need to do for good form, but my not having terrific balance gets in the way. I am working on it, and hopefully will have a breakthrough soon. I also think it may be time to increase my tricep weight, it's starting to be easier, and I can't have that! Maybe I'll add another 5 pounds to the barbell, and while I'm adding I'll also add 5 to biceps, that way bicep, and triceps have the same weight, which makes it easier in the class. Tomorrow I plan on running, and doing Muscle Toning which is always fun. The running trainer keeps on me about buying running shoes, right now I'm just using my New Balance cross trainers. My feet are starting to hurt, and get blisters, so I definitely need to buy some running shoes. I just don't know what brand to get because of my stupid wide feet with high arches.

I keep forgetting to post what I eat, I'll try to remember.

Saturday:oatmeal,avocado wrap @ vegetarian/vegan/organic place, it was so yummy,2 vegan hotdogs, burrito

Sunday:oatmeal,banana,sandwich?,smoothie(after workout),salad

Monday:oatmeal, banana,Amys pot pie,banana,clif bar,vegan chicken soup,crackers,cereal

Tuesday:oatmeal, banana,Amy's Enchilada meal,banana, half a luna bar, 2 burritos, bowl of cereal

Edited by hsorlando

I went to the Y,and did Muscle Toning today. We did cardio intervals, used a barbell, and a leg band. I went lighter on the weights today, but boy did I sweat. Besides the cardio, which was a lot, we did squats, bicep curls, triiceps, shoulder presses,deadlifts, rows,some inner thigh stuff,and a few other things I'm too tired to remember It was a great workout, I think the trainer may have thought I was crazy for doing another weight training class. Anyway after the class I went running. Diidn't really feel like it but at least I had someone to run with. I asked the trainer if she thought I was doing too much, but she said she also works out 6 days a week, and as long as I wasn't sore, etc. Pretty much what I thought, but since people are always telling me it's too much I thought maybe I was overdoing it. even though I don't feel like I am. As long as I don't injure myself I'll keep going 6 days a week. I may discontinue Kickboxing if I don''t get as much out of the new person, and then I would probably just run on Thursdays, but run for a longer time. That way I'd have a bitmore of a break from classes. I'll know better by Thursday if this is a possibility.

I'm being bad and skipping kickboxing today. Mostly it's because I'm emotionally drained. There's a lot going on with my brothers divorce. We actually tried to help his ex again (stupid us) but she isn't strong enough mentally to stand up to her power hungry family. Anyway I am not going to write anything else on that subject. Yesterday I did a BodyPump class, nothing special but it always feels good to be doing something. Then after that I walked for about a mile. I did get a nice compliment kind of, the group exercise director said when he sees me at the gym he knows it's going to be a good day. At least someone in my life gives me compliments lol. Anyway another reason I'm not doing kb today is because I pulled something in my leg. At first I thought it was when were using the leg band for thighs, but when I raised it in front of me I felt the muscle, and realized in Muscle Toning that we had done some leg raises, and I may have gone too high on a couple of them. I'll no doubt be mad at myself all day for skipping, but I do plan on going tonight to run, and possibly do something else too.

Thanks Robert. I feel better tonight, because I did get to the gym it truly is my "happy place". Anyway after work I walked to the YMCA,and then ran around the block 6 times. I may have actually run 7 times because I lost count, so I either did 3 or 3.5 miles. Then I got an invitation to Garden Cafe (vegetarian chinese place) so I had to say yes, since they were treating lol. Then I went back to the Y, and did Latin Cardio. I am definitely not the best in the class, but it is fun. I'm taking tomorrow off, and I'll get back to the gym on Saturday. I'm also doing sprints,or faster runs for part of my 3 mile run, hopefully this will help me get faster, at least it's a start.

I got to the Y at about 9:15 am, and then set up for class, today was Cardio Strength. We used stability balls, medium 8lbs, and heavy 10lb weights. The warmup was stretching and running several times around the perimiter of the room. Shoulders were first, started with heavy weights, 2 different kinds of lateral raises, and shoulder press, then onto heavy weights I think. Then more running around the room, and I think chest, biceps were next, did squats too, and there were several more cardio intervals. I must be getting more fit, because I'm startong to pass people when we run, and do walking lunges, etc. The only thing I was disappointed in were my overhead shoulder presses, and overhead tricep extentions. For the most part I had excellent form, and felt good about the weights I used. I could have easily used 12 pound weights for biceps though! We also did pushups using the stability ball, I almost fell off, lol. After the class I ran for 3 miles, took about 35 minutes I think. I get very red in the face when I run, and I think one of the trainers was concerned when she saw me at the water fountain, but I told her I had done a class, and just finished running. I wonder if the redness of my face will ever diminish when I'm running. I don't want anyone to think I'm going to pass out. After I was done at the gym I got picked up to go watch my niece get her first haircut. She watched her Daddy get his done first, but when it was her turn she didn't want to sit down. Thankfully she ended up sitting on my Moms lap, and was very good about the lady coming at her face with sharp scissors lol. My niece is very happy to not have her hair in her face now. We celebrated by taking them to a doughnut place, and I am so glad I am a vegan, and couldn't get anything!

Breakfast 8:30: berry almond luna bar 1/2 cup of coffee

Snack10:30:banana

Snack12:30pm ate at Dandelion Tea: bagel w/vegan cream cheese, organic coffee

I saw a fellow kicboxer there and he said the new instructor is very tough, so now I have to try it out

Lunch 4:30pm salad & ice tea

Did a Step,and Body Pump class today. Inbetween classes I had a chance to get some help with my form for squats,and overhead presses. I know how to do squats in good form but was having a bit of a struggle doing it with the barbell. I've fixed that now, and am still fixing my overhead press which may take longer. I love where I workout because it's not all about the money, if you have a concern, or question someone is always willing to help. It's not like many other big name gyms that I've had memberships at. Both clases were fun, and I actually got a bit of an extra workout in. Like last Sunday, practice was being done for the new release of BP, and Iwas invited to join. The squat track is a lot harder, but if I keep at it, and keep upping my weights I should be fine by February 2nd when they do the release. The Step class had a lot of hard choreography, and I messed up more than once, but I was sweating by the end of class.

I'm upset though about getting my personal trainer certification. I've ordered the book I need to study, but it hasn't come yet. That's not what I'm upset about though. The thing is (I'm just ranting) that I'm a very giving person. My whole life I've given everything I had to help my family,and did it because I wanted to help. Anyway now I'm working this part time job, and trying my best to hang in there until I can get my certification. I'm actually concentrating on myself for once. The job gives me the time I need to get to the gym, and if I want to be a personal trainer I have to be able to get in great shape, so I don't want to get another job that would make it harder to exercise, even if it paid more. So unfortunately I have to rely on other people for help in paying for extras, like the pt coarse. And I haven't paid for it yet, and the coarse is only 4 weeks away. People in my family keep telling me I can do it, but I really don't want to cram my study time into just 3 or 4 weeks before the program. I would seriously consider moving, but I am actually the only family member that loves the Orlando Florida area.. And since I'm getting to know everyone at the YMCA I truly believe that once certified I'll get a job there. Well now that everyone knows my situation, which is actually a bit embarassing I'm going to end this post.

My book came yesterday, but I didn't get it until late, so I haven't had an opportunity to delve into it yet. It's a textbook, so I can't just read it through, so I figure I'll start by studying the anatomy, and kinesiology section. I was never very good at this subject so I guess it's time to learn. I'm a bit nervous though because the book is a lot bigger than I thought it would be. If I don't do the training seminar in February I can always do it on the West Coast in September, that's where and when they have their next discounted training sessions. I really didn't want to have to wait until September though. Tonight I'm going to do Muscle Toning, and run for 3 miles.

Well the Muscle Toning class was awesome, I could barely move my arms afterwards. I didn't run tonight, but I feel good, and pumped up from the workout, so I'll run tomorrow. I wouldn't have thought the workout was that special, but I guess I just pushed myself. I used a barbell, stability ball, and a mat. We started with a quick warmup, then squats with a 35lb bb, biceps with 25lbs, triicep extentions with 20lbs, rows 20lbs, chest 25lbs. We used the stability ball for some leg raises, and some outer thigh, and ab work. Some moves with the ball were similar to pilates stuff.

Not much else to the workout. Tomorrow I'll probably walk to the gym, then run for 3 miles, and do a BodyPump class. And if I have some spare time I'll study some anatomy stuff.

It's been a long week, and not being able to post my workouts,and thoughts has made it seem longer.

Wednesday I walked to the Y after work, and then ran for 3 miles. As soon as I got outside it started to rain a bit, but after half a mile it stopped. I studied my book and then took a Body Pump class, then went home to collapse.

Thursday I also walked to work. It was very dreary outside, and my mood for running definitely reflected it. But after 15 minutes of being at the gym, and eating a banana I ran anyway. It didn't rain, and I was quite happy with myself for running. Then I studied my book for about an hour, and then did Latin Cardio.

Friday and Saturday I did not get to the gym at all. Friday was my scheduled rest day, but Saturday I felt miserable, my throat was bothering me, and I didn't feel like working out. I think if I had gone to the gym someone would have sent me home lol. On Saturday I did go for a nice walk mid afternoon, when the sun came out. There's this nice shopping center that has some interesting shops, and they have a fountain, and bench area. So I walked there with my Mom, and we got a sample of some vegan chocolate, and sat down near the water fountain for a while. I wouldn't exactly say it was a great cardio activity, but it was better than staying inside all day, and was probably enough considering how I felt.

Today I felt better, I slept pretty good, and I felt more energized. So I took Step, and Body Pump. I was by no means 100% but I did the best I could. I think the trainer could tell I was a bit run down, because I know I looked more tired doing all the cardio in Step.Then after I studied I did the BP class, and perhaps that was overdoing it a bit but I survived. The warmup was different not the same one we've been doing, so that was fun. I went a bit lighter on some stuff during the workout, not squats, just chest, and back. Not so much because I couldn't manage the weight, but more for concentrating on my form, and it's coming along. The only thing I'm upset about is that I only ran twice last week, but I don't think it would have been wise to run when I was feeling so bad, so if I feel all better early this week I'll try to run 4 times to make up for it.

Well today I felt lousy again, I guess I overdid it yesterday. Anyway I "hope" I feel good enough tomorrow to do Muscle Toning, and run afterwards. If I have to skip one of the workouts I will, but I really won''t be happy about it. But I have to listen to what my body tells me, and I suppose this is a way I can get some much needed rest.

Today I ran. That's all I did, I skipped the usual class, because I figured it might be too much for me when I'm still getting over not feeling great. Anyway it started to pour rain around 3pm, so I figured this being Florida it would be over by 4. At 5:30pm I met the running trainer, and she gave me 2 choices run on the treadmill, and I'd do different intervals and stuff like that, or run outside in the rain. I chose the rain, and after only 1/4 mile I was soaked. It wasn't too cold, and I actually enjoyed running in the rain. I wasn''t quite as fast as usual, but kept running til the end. I also did more sprints. I'm going to start adding more mileage now that I have 5k down pretty well. So when I''m back to 100%, I imagine that will be in a day or 2. I will be running adding half mile increments to my runs.

Ok, today I started with 20 minutes of cardio on a precor. The machine I used was a new model, so it took some getting used to, finding the correct buttons to push for info and all.

After that I read/studied my personal training book, and then finally got some much needed water. When I first got to the gym their water wasn't working, something to do with the sprinkler system they said. Anyway I did take a BodyPump class today, and I managed to get through it sort of. I went lighter on a couple of things, and I just felt tired, the ab track was fun because it was one we hadn't done before. Tomorrow if I can manage it time wise I really want to do Kickboxing at 9:30 am, but it'll be tight getting there, and I'd be late to work. I also plan on running tomorrow afternoon, and if I don't do kb, I will probably stay for the dance class since I have to wait around to be picked up anyway. Who knows maybe I'll feel so good I'll do all three!

Well I didn't make it to kickboxing, because I had to go out with my family, oh well, my 2 nieces were being very good so it was fun.

After work I ran 3.5 miles, I wasn't going to do the extra half, but after 2 miles I had to tie my shoelace, and then at 2.5 miles I fell, so I figured I'd better add an extra half since I had to stop twice. Then I waited around the gym for an hour and a half for Latin Cardio. I used my time studying, then after the class I had to wait an hour and 15 minutes for my ride, so I had an opportunity to talk to one of the trainers, who also looked at the book that I'm studying from. Everyone seems to be surprised at how thick it is, and at the cost of it too. Anyway I feel like I'm back to normal, FINALLY, so I really should get to the gym tomorrow, since I didn't make it Monday.

My workout today was NOT the one I wanted. My brother wanted to go, and it would also be a nice outing for his kids, they have a childrens area. Anyway I thought I would wait for my Mom, who I "thought" was going to workout too. But first she had to run an errand, and would be back in about 45 minutes. No problem I figured my brother could finish and read for an hour or something while we did our thing. Long story short neither one got the memo. So all I did was 20 minutes of cardio on a Precor,then I hurried through some arm exercises. I was so stressed out by this time I could barely remember what I was going to do.

seated bicep curls 15 lbs 3 sets of 8-10 reps

seated/bent over lateral raises 8lbs 3 sets 12 reps

seated shoulder press 8 lbs 3 sets 10 reps

standing hammer curls 8lbs 12 reps 3 sets

tricep extentions (skullcrushers) 8lbs 12 reps 3 sets

standing lateral raises 8lbs 3 sets 8-12 reps

tricep kickbacks (standing) 8lbs 3 sets 10 reps

Anyway it wasn't my best day at the gym, and I've started to reconsider wanting to workout with my family members too, it just adds stress!!! Then afterwards I went out to the car, oh and I alway get to sit between both carseats lol, so I'm quite comfortable. Then they think they make it up to me when they ask me if I want a smoothie, it didn't cost anything because he had a buy one get one free coupon. It was a nice gesture, but I wasn't very hungry, and my 2 nieces were not happy that I wasn't sharing with them lol.

Today I did a Cardio Strength class. And I was quite exhausted after it, so I didn't run. I'm not too mad at myself because this week for the most part I wasn't 100%, and I only missed 2 workouts. Anyway I got to my class with barely enough time to set up. We started with a warmup, then for cardio we did a bunch of plyometric stuff, there were plyometric lunges, squats, and jumps, which were also supersets. For the weight exercises we did bicep curls with knee raises, regular bicep curls, lateral raises at 90 degree angles, back arm extentions, tricep kickbacks, front arm extentions, dips using the step as a bench, overhead tricep extentions, wide bicep curls.There were also more lunges, and quite a few jumping jacks, over 100 I think. I can't seem to remember what else was done, except for abs and some hip exercises at the end, and we forgot to get in pushups too. If I remember anything else I'll add it later. On a side note someone else taking the class said I looked alot smaller since she'd seen me last, which is always a nice thing to hear, except if you're trying to bulk up.

Today was Step,and Body Pump. Everything in the classes was pretty much the same as usual. After last week I really needed a good workout, and I definitely got it today. I love taking group classes, because I get a lot of extra cardio, and there's no giving up because I'm not alone. But sometimes some of the people can be so inconsiderate. So many times I'll be all set up, and then someone will setup so close to me that I have no choice except to move. My only other choice would be to step back, or to the front or side, and fall over their equipment. Anyway at least if I'm in the front row I only have someone behind me, except then everyone can watch me. In the Body Pump class I finally feel like I'm getting better at the shoulder press, right now I have a lower weight so I can really concentrate on form. I feel like I'm finally getting to where I want to be physically. I mean there are still a few areas that I'm concentrating on, but I believe my body is finally getting a more defined, and fit look to it. And I can't wait to wear a vegan bodybuilder shirt around the gym to advertise a vegan lifestyle. Hopefully I will get a chance to order them tomorrow!

Monday: Body Pump

Tuesday:Muscle Toning/ ran 3.5 miles

Wednesday:Body Pump

On Tuesday I had a good workout even though I had a few cramps. The MT class was a lot of fun, we used a barbell for squats, chest presses, biceps,triceps, and shoulders. There were stability balls, leg bands, and a weight for overhead tricep extentions, and abs.There was also cardio inbetween, then I ran for 3.5 miles with the running trainer. By then I was worn out, but didn't give up. There was one funny incident, the trainer was telling me about a race she'd just done, and as soon as she told me she fell, down I went. But apparently my fall was done very gracefully.