problem - how do you motivate yourself to workout?

nobbi

How do you guys motivate yourselfs to workout? I have found out that I can (very) easily transform my body. From fat to thin within short time, gaining muscles with dedicated training every day for weeks... but I ALWAYS fall back to where I have started - too fat, no muscles When my work is full of stress, when I have to do some work in my house, relation problems, bad nutrition... the first thing I drop is my workout. Not only that, sometimes I am just tired to work out (my day starts at 6.30 am). I made some great results last summer and built up my chest very well. To see that progress helps me to go on, but somehow I am not motivated enough or mentally not strong enough to go on and on and on. I am convinced that I will never become a bodybuilder (which I don't want to, because I don't like the look of them - sorry guys), but I am totally convinced that I can transform my body to a shredded, muscled body. BUT HOW? How can I stuck to my diet and training?

Do you have the same problem and if so, what helps you to go on?

I have this problem often. This time a year ago, I was working out twice a day, 6 days a week without fail. When I am in the swing of things the gym is my top priority, and everything else waits. I felt and looked awesome! (if I do say so myself)

That though, was before I came back to school, left my home town behind again, took a job paying half of what I made before....

Now I am exhausted all the time, stressed out about school and money all the time, etc, etc, etc.....and even though I know the one thing that will really make me feel better is going to the gym, most the time I end up just making some sort of carbohydrate laden food and sit around pissed off. It's a horrible cycle because in my mind I know I'm not doing the best thing for myself, but the motivation just disappears.......

Anyway, for me I find the the only thing that can help kick it is to just DO it. And I know that's the whole problem, but if I can make myself go when I really really don't want to just ONCE then I feel a little bit more motivated to go the next time. And if I can get there one MORE time, then it's a little bit easier the time after that...

I wish I had a fool proof method, but if I did, I'd be at the gym right now and not eating a bowl of pasta and typing on the forum

My biggest goal right now is really just overcoming this rut I'm in and get myself back on a gym schedule....I know I will feel so much happier.

Good luck Nobbi, I know you can do it!

Anyway, for me I find the the only thing that can help kick it is to just DO it. And I know that's the whole problem, but if I can make myself go when I really really don't want to just ONCE then I feel a little bit more motivated to go the next time. And if I can get there one MORE time, then it's a little bit easier the time after that...

That's exactly the thing with me, too. Once I have been going on a regular basis long enough to make it a habit, it's fairly easy. Getting up and going enough times to make it a habit is the hardest part.

On the days that I just don't feel like going, or I'm using the "I don't have time" excuse, I convince myself to go for "just 20 minutes" and work out. It works most of the time. It worked last night. And it almost always turns into a much longer workout than 20 minutes, once I get there and get into it.

Oh, I also try to do things like bring my gym clothes with me when I go to school or work so that I don't need any extra prep time....when I'm done with either of the aforementioned I can just head straight to the gym, which keeps me from getting distracted by going home and getting caught up talking or doing other things

Try watching Rocky IV. The training scenes where it cuts back between Rocky training low-tech style in the cold, and Drago training in the high tech gym always makes me want to go out and train hard.

lol, just a looped tape of 'Eye of the Tiger' would do it for me

I personally just need to be working toward a goal. Usually what happens is I set a goal and work until I get there, get a new goal, and repeat. Perhaps I will be really into squatting, then deadlifting, then benching, then squatting again, or whatever. Right now I am focusing on overhead pressing and also on incline bench. I can't wait to overhead press tomorrow, I can't stop thinking about it!

Try watching Rocky IV. The training scenes where it cuts back between Rocky training low-tech style in the cold, and Drago training in the high tech gym always makes me want to go out and train hard.

lol, just a looped tape of 'Eye of the Tiger' would do it for me

I personally just need to be working toward a goal. Usually what happens is I set a goal and work until I get there, get a new goal, and repeat. Perhaps I will be really into squatting, then deadlifting, then benching, then squatting again, or whatever. Right now I am focusing on overhead pressing and also on incline bench. I can't wait to overhead press tomorrow, I can't stop thinking about it!

What's going on Tyler. Did you print up shirts that say "Vegan Strength"? If you printed those out I want to order one.

I personaly believe that certain people are workout people and some are not and the ones that are not are the ones that have motivation problems , Me, I'm a workout person and I go insane if I don't workout!!! I think it all boils down to doing what you enjoy, if you don't enjoy working out that much then you won't do it that much! if your only doing it because you think it's the right thing to do then the chances are that your not going to be consistant with it! so my advice is to Do what you love and love what you do!

I personaly believe that certain people are workout people and some are not and the ones that are not are the ones that have motivation problems

This is probably true, I know I've heard people say they just hate exercising, and I don't understand that!

I know what I am though is a habit person......when I'm in the habit of working out, I do it all the time and never miss it......but if for some reason I do have to break my routine it is SO hard to get back into it. That's where my motivation issue comes from, I just get set in my ways whether they are good OR bad!