Vegan Bodybuilding & Fitness

Healthy Food Defines You
It is currently Sat Dec 20, 2014 3:04 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 879 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 ... 59  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2008 10:27 pm 
Elephant

It's been a long week, and not being able to post my workouts,and thoughts has made it seem longer.

Wednesday I walked to the Y after work, and then ran for 3 miles. As soon as I got outside it started to rain a bit, but after half a mile it stopped. I studied my book and then took a Body Pump class, then went home to collapse.

Thursday I also walked to work. It was very dreary outside, and my mood for running definitely reflected it. But after 15 minutes of being at the gym, and eating a banana I ran anyway. It didn't rain, and I was quite happy with myself for running. Then I studied my book for about an hour, and then did Latin Cardio.

Friday and Saturday I did not get to the gym at all. Friday was my scheduled rest day, but Saturday I felt miserable, my throat was bothering me, and I didn't feel like working out. I think if I had gone to the gym someone would have sent me home lol. On Saturday I did go for a nice walk mid afternoon, when the sun came out. There's this nice shopping center that has some interesting shops, and they have a fountain, and bench area. So I walked there with my Mom, and we got a sample of some vegan chocolate, and sat down near the water fountain for a while. I wouldn't exactly say it was a great cardio activity, but it was better than staying inside all day, and was probably enough considering how I felt.

Today I felt better, I slept pretty good, and I felt more energized. So I took Step, and Body Pump. I was by no means 100% but I did the best I could. I think the trainer could tell I was a bit run down, because I know I looked more tired doing all the cardio in Step.Then after I studied I did the BP class, and perhaps that was overdoing it a bit but I survived. The warmup was different not the same one we've been doing, so that was fun. I went a bit lighter on some stuff during the workout, not squats, just chest, and back. Not so much because I couldn't manage the weight, but more for concentrating on my form, and it's coming along. The only thing I'm upset about is that I only ran twice last week, but I don't think it would have been wise to run when I was feeling so bad, so if I feel all better early this week I'll try to run 4 times to make up for it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2008 8:22 pm 
Elephant

Well today I felt lousy again, I guess I overdid it yesterday. Anyway I "hope" I feel good enough tomorrow to do Muscle Toning, and run afterwards. If I have to skip one of the workouts I will, but I really won''t be happy about it. But I have to listen to what my body tells me, and I suppose this is a way I can get some much needed rest.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2008 11:50 pm 
Elephant

Today I ran. That's all I did, I skipped the usual class, because I figured it might be too much for me when I'm still getting over not feeling great. Anyway it started to pour rain around 3pm, so I figured this being Florida it would be over by 4. At 5:30pm I met the running trainer, and she gave me 2 choices run on the treadmill, and I'd do different intervals and stuff like that, or run outside in the rain. I chose the rain, and after only 1/4 mile I was soaked. It wasn't too cold, and I actually enjoyed running in the rain. I wasn''t quite as fast as usual, but kept running til the end. I also did more sprints. I'm going to start adding more mileage now that I have 5k down pretty well. So when I''m back to 100%, I imagine that will be in a day or 2. I will be running adding half mile increments to my runs.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2008 9:54 pm 
Elephant

Ok, today I started with 20 minutes of cardio on a precor. The machine I used was a new model, so it took some getting used to, finding the correct buttons to push for info and all.
After that I read/studied my personal training book, and then finally got some much needed water. When I first got to the gym their water wasn't working, something to do with the sprinkler system they said. Anyway I did take a BodyPump class today, and I managed to get through it sort of. I went lighter on a couple of things, and I just felt tired, the ab track was fun because it was one we hadn't done before. Tomorrow if I can manage it time wise I really want to do Kickboxing at 9:30 am, but it'll be tight getting there, and I'd be late to work. I also plan on running tomorrow afternoon, and if I don't do kb, I will probably stay for the dance class since I have to wait around to be picked up anyway. Who knows maybe I'll feel so good I'll do all three!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2008 12:18 am 
Elephant

Well I didn't make it to kickboxing, because I had to go out with my family, oh well, my 2 nieces were being very good so it was fun.
After work I ran 3.5 miles, I wasn't going to do the extra half, but after 2 miles I had to tie my shoelace, and then at 2.5 miles I fell, so I figured I'd better add an extra half since I had to stop twice. Then I waited around the gym for an hour and a half for Latin Cardio. I used my time studying, then after the class I had to wait an hour and 15 minutes for my ride, so I had an opportunity to talk to one of the trainers, who also looked at the book that I'm studying from. Everyone seems to be surprised at how thick it is, and at the cost of it too. Anyway I feel like I'm back to normal, FINALLY, so I really should get to the gym tomorrow, since I didn't make it Monday.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2008 8:32 pm 
Elephant

My workout today was NOT the one I wanted. My brother wanted to go, and it would also be a nice outing for his kids, they have a childrens area. Anyway I thought I would wait for my Mom, who I "thought" was going to workout too. But first she had to run an errand, and would be back in about 45 minutes. No problem I figured my brother could finish and read for an hour or something while we did our thing. Long story short neither one got the memo. So all I did was 20 minutes of cardio on a Precor,then I hurried through some arm exercises. I was so stressed out by this time I could barely remember what I was going to do.
seated bicep curls 15 lbs 3 sets of 8-10 reps
seated/bent over lateral raises 8lbs 3 sets 12 reps
seated shoulder press 8 lbs 3 sets 10 reps
standing hammer curls 8lbs 12 reps 3 sets
tricep extentions (skullcrushers) 8lbs 12 reps 3 sets
standing lateral raises 8lbs 3 sets 8-12 reps
tricep kickbacks (standing) 8lbs 3 sets 10 reps
Anyway it wasn't my best day at the gym, and I've started to reconsider wanting to workout with my family members too, it just adds stress!!! Then afterwards I went out to the car, oh and I alway get to sit between both carseats lol, so I'm quite comfortable. Then they think they make it up to me when they ask me if I want a smoothie, it didn't cost anything because he had a buy one get one free coupon. It was a nice gesture, but I wasn't very hungry, and my 2 nieces were not happy that I wasn't sharing with them lol.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2008 12:04 pm 
Elephant

Today I did a Cardio Strength class. And I was quite exhausted after it, so I didn't run. I'm not too mad at myself because this week for the most part I wasn't 100%, and I only missed 2 workouts. Anyway I got to my class with barely enough time to set up. We started with a warmup, then for cardio we did a bunch of plyometric stuff, there were plyometric lunges, squats, and jumps, which were also supersets. For the weight exercises we did bicep curls with knee raises, regular bicep curls, lateral raises at 90 degree angles, back arm extentions, tricep kickbacks, front arm extentions, dips using the step as a bench, overhead tricep extentions, wide bicep curls.There were also more lunges, and quite a few jumping jacks, over 100 I think. I can't seem to remember what else was done, except for abs and some hip exercises at the end, and we forgot to get in pushups too. If I remember anything else I'll add it later. On a side note someone else taking the class said I looked alot smaller since she'd seen me last, which is always a nice thing to hear, except if you're trying to bulk up.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2008 10:28 pm 
Elephant

Today was Step,and Body Pump. Everything in the classes was pretty much the same as usual. After last week I really needed a good workout, and I definitely got it today. I love taking group classes, because I get a lot of extra cardio, and there's no giving up because I'm not alone. But sometimes some of the people can be so inconsiderate. So many times I'll be all set up, and then someone will setup so close to me that I have no choice except to move. My only other choice would be to step back, or to the front or side, and fall over their equipment. Anyway at least if I'm in the front row I only have someone behind me, except then everyone can watch me. In the Body Pump class I finally feel like I'm getting better at the shoulder press, right now I have a lower weight so I can really concentrate on form. I feel like I'm finally getting to where I want to be physically. I mean there are still a few areas that I'm concentrating on, but I believe my body is finally getting a more defined, and fit look to it. And I can't wait to wear a vegan bodybuilder shirt around the gym to advertise a vegan lifestyle. Hopefully I will get a chance to order them tomorrow!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2008 10:02 pm 
Elephant

Monday: Body Pump
Tuesday:Muscle Toning/ ran 3.5 miles
Wednesday:Body Pump
On Tuesday I had a good workout even though I had a few cramps. The MT class was a lot of fun, we used a barbell for squats, chest presses, biceps,triceps, and shoulders. There were stability balls, leg bands, and a weight for overhead tricep extentions, and abs.There was also cardio inbetween, then I ran for 3.5 miles with the running trainer. By then I was worn out, but didn't give up. There was one funny incident, the trainer was telling me about a race she'd just done, and as soon as she told me she fell, down I went. But apparently my fall was done very gracefully.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2008 9:39 am 
Elephant

On Thursday I went to the gym, and ran for 3.5 miles. For some weird reason my left hamstring, and glutes were quite sore. So it took a mile or 2 to loosen up. Anyway today I am taking off from the gym, and I'll be back at it tomorrow.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2008 10:05 am 
Elephant

I haven't been posting what I eat lately, but it's pretty much the same as usual. My staple food items are pretty much the same, lots of canteloupe, oatmeal, whole grain bread, bananas, clif, and luna bars, Silk unsweetened soymilk, brown rice, green beans, peas, spinach, celery, lettuce, apples, nuts, green pepper, tomato, oranges, vegan soy products like vegan burgers, deli slices, sausages, and other soy stuff, Kashi cereal or other similar cereals, beans usually black beans, pinto, and refried beans, ice tea, coffee, diet soda, and water to drink. For condiments I use salt, veganaise, and earth balance margarine, and vegan chocolate chip cookies. I'm trying to cut back on these items. This is pretty much the stuff that I eat, not the best, but not the worst, and at least it's all vegan. I am not a cook, and never want to be, so for anything more complicated I have to go out to eat. At least now there's an all vegan place to eat.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2008 11:41 am 
Gorilla

hsorlando wrote:
... On a side note someone else taking the class said I looked alot smaller since she'd seen me last, which is always a nice thing to hear, except if you're trying to bulk up.

Hsorlando,

That's kinda funny! When I used to workout at the gym, people would always compliment my legs, and I'd be like, "Oh, thanks." Problem is I never worked on my legs except for running :lol: I wanted good arms!! Tell me my arms are bank, damnit! :cry: Lol. Oh well. Any compliment is nice :).

Quote:
But apparently my fall was done very gracefully.

Hey, as long you looked good while going down... :lol:

Quote:
I can't wait to wear a vegan bodybuilder shirt around the gym to advertise a vegan lifestyle.

I'm a little hard on myself on this one! I don't mind wearing my vegan message shirts, but the bodybuilding ones are tough. I'm too hard on myself, probably; but I like to make sure I have some muscle before I wear it :lol: Me thinks I need a goal for this summer :)

Haven't read your whole blog -- just this page -- but it's interesting. Hope you don't mind me posting. I haven't gotten back into reading any of these journals for lack of time, but they're actually kind of helpful for ideas.

:)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2008 11:55 am 
Elephant

No problem, my blog really isn't very interesting, just my ramblings on of what I do at the gym. I'm there six days a week, sometimes for several hours (because I have to wait for a ride), so what I accomplish at the gym is pretty much it for me. Other than the YMCA, and work I don''t get out much lol. Anyway as far as the Vegan Bodybuilder shirts go, I'm not a bodybuilder, but I am getting some muscle definition, and I couldn't find any other workout shirts I liked as much. And maybe it'll inspire someone to try a vegan diet, that's my goal anyway!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2008 9:01 am 
Elephant

Didn't make it to the gym yesterday. For some reason getting there on Saturday mornings is becoming an issue. I'll have to fix this, and soon! On a happier note I went shopping, something I hardly ever do, lol, and spontaneously bought myself some jeans. I didn't feel like trying them on, but at home I did, and was quite happy at how well they fit, especially since they're a size 4. This probably isn't a very big deal for most people, but a few years ago I could barely fit into size 12s. I can't say for 100% that it's my diet, I think it's more a balance of everything, plus the running. But I'm still thrilled that I can now fit into size 4 jeans. This kind of progress is very good for getting me into gear, and making it to the gym, and not giving up. This week has been a bit strange with my workouts, because I've had a headache for a few days, but after I workout it's a lot better.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2008 6:32 pm 
Elephant

Didn't do Step, as it was a different trainer, and in the past I've tried other trainers Step classes, but never get enough out of the class. Got to the gym in time to run 3 miles, my energy levels are quite low right now, but at least did 3 miles. Then did BodyPump for 55 minutes. My weights were the same as the trainers ( a female trainer today) so I was happy about that. I did skip a few reps here and there, but in all it felt great.
Warmup weight: 10 lbs on each side of barbell (20 total)
Squats:17.5 each side (35 lbs total)
Chest press:15 each side(30lbs total)had 10 pounds drop weight
back deadrows, deadlifts, clean and press (30 lb total)
triceps: 10lb each side (20 lbs total)
biceps: same as triceps
lunges: held 10 lb plate
shoulders: lateral raises hels to 5 lb plates/ shoulder press w/ barbell 15lbs total (my shoulders are the hardest to do)
abs: did some very slow crunches/ side crunches/ hovers or prone bar rolls with barbell
stretching

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 879 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 ... 59  Next