Confusco

I started losing my hair at an early age of about 8. it turned out I had washed my hair for months with conditioner instead of shampoo....somehow I didnt get all the conditioner out of my hair, and it clogged the pores, thus leading to patches of my hair falling out.

so make sure youre washing everything.

this probably isnt the case, but just thought Id share a similar story.

goodluck figuring out the problem. i doubt its veganism related.

Will I think the anti-soy crowd says it causes hair-loss... among other things.

Oh yeah, that's right. I forgot to mention that I grew a 3rd arm after I started drinking soy milk

dude youve got a third arm? you lucky bastard. I bet this makes bicep curls much easier. I could totally go for another arm. next time you get one, send it my way, k? thanks,

Since I turned vegan about a year ago, it appears that I'm losing more hair than I should. I started seeing hair on my computer keyboard(where I am often) and other places. Not huge amounts, but still, it worries me. I don't ever remember that happening. I take a multivitamin, flax oil, protein and I think I'm eating fine. Anybody have an idea what could be wrong

I've noticed a lot LESS daily hair loss, and my hair feels thicker, since changing my diet a couple months ago. (I still have only two standard-issue arms, though.)

According to what I found searching google, normal hair loss is about 100 hairs per day, which could really look like a lot - especially if most of them are landing on your computer keyboard.

Check out this article about "telogen effluvium". I knew about thyroid and nutrition being potential factors, but I didn't know that something as simple as a fever could trigger so much hair loss. Another article said that weight loss could also be a factor.

While it may not be a huge factor, check your shampoo for Sodium Lauryl Sulfate or Sodium Laureth Sulfate, sometimes called SLS.

There is some controversy as to the harmful effects of this ingredient -- Google it & see what you find. I do believe the cancer scare has been debunked, but there are still other issues with it's effect on hair & skin. Unfortunately it is frequently found in 'natural' shampoos.

IMHO, Aubrey Organics has the best skin & hair care products to be found! But if you were to ask a room of women their fave products, you would probably end up with a list longer than the number of women in the room!

IMHO, Aubrey Organics has the best skin & hair care products to be found! But if you were to ask a room of women their fave products, you would probably end up with a list longer than the number of women in the room!

Ha, now that's the truth.

I've never heard of Aubrey Organics.....tell me more!

I've never heard of Aubrey Organics.....tell me more!

Here's their products page:

http://www.aubrey-organics.com/categories1.cfm

They have customer testomonials on many of the individual product pages that I've found helpful. Also, the "Travel A Go Go" kit is a nice way to test their skin care regime. All of their products use all natural ingredients & all are not tested on animals. With the exception of 1 or 2 products, all their stuff is vegan.

10 SYNTHETIC COSMETIC INGREDIENTS TO AVOID

http://www.aubrey-organics.com/about/treat_10synth.cfm

I've been using AO products for about 5 years now & cannot tell you how much nicer my skin is! I saw results in less than 2 weeks of using their stuff. You can order online or many HFS have their products.

• 5 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I used to style my hair with conditioner and it never caused hair loss but I guess it could depend on active ingredients and other factors. Now a days, I don't use shampoo or conditioner. I just rinse my hair with clean, refreshing water 3 times a day. I also swim fairly often so I make sure to rinse that chlorine out. I sprits water and jojoba oil mix for styling and conditioning. No need for shamppo and conditioners that really only build up and make you need to wash more often.

Best things for hairloss: Green leafy vegetables (collards, kale, spinach, etc) and Flax seeds *daily* - 1 Tb whole raw seeds, grind it up and eat fresh.

Make sure you are getting good-quality, raw fats in your diet (cooked fats don't count, don't help) - nuts and seeds

A supplement that's good is BioSil by Jarrow. (liquid drops)

MSM is great for skin and hair.

I started taking some borage oil and it has helped; but the essential fatty acids in greens and flax seeds is what really did it.

I am totally serious when I tell you I have brand new hair growth! My hair is not only growing more, each hair is thicker and stronger, shinier and much darker!

I'm telling you guys, make green smoothies! The e.f.a.'s which occur naturally in them plus all those minerals do SO much for you! don't forget your daily flax.

Also, you didn't say how long your hair is, but if it's longish for a boy... (long enough so you have to comb it.)

When you don't brush your hair for a while the fallen out hairs get stuck and don't come out. I know, as I don't have time to brush my hair everyday (I know...I know...sounds gross, especially me swimming so often, but my hair is dammaged beyond repair from 11 yrs. of swim and chlorine) and it sometimes comes out in clumps.

Maybe you're not combing often and then brushing your hand thru your hair by the computer? Pretty wild possibility, but your diet doesn't seem to have anything to do with it.

I started taking some borage oil and it has helped; but the essential fatty acids in greens and flax seeds is what really did it.

I am totally serious when I tell you I have brand new hair growth! My hair is not only growing more, each hair is thicker and stronger, shinier and much darker!

Flax seeds did it for me too! When I began supplementing my diet with 2 tablespoons of freshly ground flax seed each day 18 months ago, I noticed thicker, stronger and more lusterous hair growth within 6 weeks! Borage oil can be beneficial as well--it is a great source of GLA (gamma linolenic acid) a somewhat rare Omega-6 that is otherwise found in primrose and hemp. I cannot say enough about flax and hair growth. I would have never believed that at age 47 I'd be experiencing fuller, faster growing hair than what I was used to at age 27!

That's awesome, michael! I've had a few people asking me if I dyed my hair. I never have, but my hair has gotten darker.

I figured borage oil would be good for me, since combined with flax, it is especially good for hair and skin; and, since I don't consume any GLA-oils on my diet, I figured I'd try it (plus there really isn't much, if any, benefit in heated oils). It is also in a lot of "women's" flax oils as well as primrose oil, which is also GLA-rich, but less than borage. As a side benefit, I love the taste; but, from what I've read, it should not be taken in large amounts and only as a supplement.

I would say it has contributed to my results definitely.

Oh, yes, I love hemp seeds too!

What's your diet like? Do you have a training journal? I have been logging my food; but it's pretty routine now.

Raven,

You are wise to not take flax or borage in large amounts since they can upset the omega-3 to omega-6 ratio. Omega fatty acids are important in the production of prostoglandins. A good rule of thumb is 3:6 in a 1:4 ratio. (Coincidentally, this is the ratio found in hemp). Most people in the U.S. have something like a 1:20 ratio because they ingest such small amounts of omega-3 and the omega-6 they are getting is nothing like the quality of GLA.

I would say the most diverse portion of my palate falls into the grains category. Yesterday for breakfast I made the family whole wheat pancakes with added oat and rye flakes, freshly ground flax meal, using homemade hemp milk in place of water for making the batter. Topped it off with fruit only blackberry jam.

As for physical training, I do maintain a rowing journal at Concept2.com to go with my indoor rowing regimen.