“vegetarian"

madcat

My boyfriend has been “vegetarian” for about a year and a half. It all started after seeing a screening of the witness. After the movie he said “how can I eat meat now”. I was really excited, and everything was great for a while. Then he started complaining. First about how inconvenient it was to be vegetarian. I didn’t get that, I was always jealous about how many more options he had then me. Then he started saying that it was making him run down and weak. I tried to help make sure he was getting a balanced diet, and really it seemed like he was eating ok. The funny thing is a year ago we were both working out a lot. He was really starting to bulk up, but then he lost motivation. I think because it was interfering with his social life. Later he said it was wearing him down “because he was vegetarian”. These comments bugged the hell out of me. I don’t want him going around saying those kinds of things and giving vegetarians a bad rap.

So honestly I wasn’t too up set when he started eating fish again around six months ago. I thought it wouldn’t make him feel any better and he would see that wasn’t the problem. It didn’t seem to fix anything but he kept on eating it. Just recently it took another turn. One of his favorite foods used to be carne asada and he said he wanted to have it again “one last time before he really committed to this thing”. But that wasn’t the end of it, on Friday he went with his friend to a birthday party. He people having it didn’t know he was coming and didn’t have much food for him to eat. He said he kept eating and eating but wasn’t getting full, so evenly he ate some pork that they had. I don’t get it, and I don’t like it, but most of all I just wish he would stop calling himself a vegetarian!

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

hey, im sorry to here about that madcat

it does sound though that you bf is making any excuse he can not to be veggie. which is doubly sad as veggie is so so so so easy.

veganism is obviously a very large part of who you are, and the way that your bf is acting it seems that he doesnt understand this.

maybe you should consider addressing the issues you have with this; after all it must be very upsetting to know he is eating animals again. my partner, kathryn is vegan and it makes life much easier as we are on the same wavelength.

best of luck with it

jonathan

tell him to stop being such a shithead. Someone known to be 'vegetarian' going around eating meat when convenient is not a good rolemodel for vegetarianism / veganism.

My girlfriend Larissa is also vegan, and it is so nice that we can enjoy the same foods together and have special vegan feasts once in a while. We have been together about 7 years, and we went vegan together about 5 or 6 years ago.

It was a mutual decision. We had both been vegetarian since around 16 years old, and were finally a point where we were ready to go the extra step and go vegan. I went vegan for political and ethical reasons, and the longer I have been vegan the more compassionate I am towards every living thing. I would never even kill a bug now. Same goes for my girlfriend. She is a veterinary assistant and does so much for animals, she really goes the extra mile and is the most selfless person I know.

I firmly believe that the true measure of a man's (or woman's) heart can be seen in his treatment of animals.

Nuf' said.

Very true.

I'm sorry that's happening madcat. My "boyfriend" is not vegan or vegitarian, so it's kind of hard to eat when at his house. But I was able to get some food for when I'm there. I'm going to make him watch meet your meat. He's such an animal lover so I can see him going vegitarian, especially after watching that.

I'm going to make him watch meet your meat. He's such an animal lover so I can see him going vegitarian, especially after watching that.

I guess you will know just how much of animal lover he is after he watches meet you meat. I hope he does not disappoint you. A lot of people think they are animal lovers -- but when their "love" of animals is tested like that, they fail miserably and continue eating the alleged objects of their affection.

If he is a true animal lover, he wouldnt eat animals. I hope he comes through!!

I, myself, could never love someone who didnt understand me or my beleifs.

I agree with my roommate and friend of course, I just like saying roommate.

That is why it is so hard for me to find a "girlfriend." I haven't dated anyone in YEARS, mainly due to the fact that there just aren't very many vegans I bump into at work, around town, or just day to day.

It is so cool that there are vegan communities online like this and of course we do end up meeting in person and hanging out like many did last summer in the UK and many will do this summer in the Caribbean and some will do soon over at Daywalker's house and of course out here in Oregon too.

Finding that "right" person can be tough. I know there are lots of things you have to "compromise" and all that "give and take" and stuff like that but I certainly don't think you have to just "settle" for something or someone that isn't on the same page as you concerning something as important as a vegan lifestyle.

If I made a list of threads I've been thinking about posting this would be it... or at least where this one's gone... Relationships with non-vegetarians/vegans...

I've drawn a line at vegetarian or better if it's someone who is going to be a significant part of my life. But that isn't very frequent it seems. And vegan... well that's even less frequent now isn't it...

I dunno where I'm going with this rambling. But I'm glad this topic came up

I hope he comes to his senses madcat.

At least he's made an attempt....I think that shows there is hope for him. Maybe it's just a harder transition for some than others. Sounds like he hasn't adapted to ignoring the societal pressures to eat meat. In my observations, it's harder for guys than girls - what I mean by that is, it seems like there are a lot of men out there that almost expect girls to be at least vegetarian, and they just write it off as a girl thing without consideration....but for a guy to be vegetarian or vegan, that catches attention and makes him not 'just one of the boys'. Has anyone else noticed that? I don't mean among other veg's obviously, but around the standard population.

So far in my dating history, the boy I loved the most was nicknamed Beefy because of his eating habits....we were an odd pair. He's since changed a lot and no longer eats beef, though he's not a vegetarian. Maybe someday.

After him there was the boy that said at the beginning of our 3 years together that he'd give vegetarianism a shot, but didn't until 9 mos. after we broke up and he wanted to impress another vegetarian girl...I stopped talking to him so I don't know how that turned out.

And most recently, the boy that I 'like' is vegan friendly, and will eat vegan around me. He even went vegan earlier this year for several months but then slipped back into the meat habit. He says he thinks he could go back to vegan, but I don't know what would motivate him to do so. It certainly wouldn't be interest in me since he's just playing me! He does seem to brag about my veganism to others though, which is weird.

Anyway, the point of that is, so far you're doing better than I (or Robert or Topher for that matter) at finding a match, just keep at him. Don't let him be a hypocrite, that's even worse just eating meat.

Good luck!!!!!

Don't let him be a hypocrite, that's even worse just eating meat.

http://www.godfist.com/chry_disagree.jpg

I think eating meat is some hefty bullshit, and being a hypocrite is just lame. Hefty bullshit is higher up the scale of crap than just lameness in my opinion.

The more I think about it, the more I think that dating for me is just not possible. I am judgemental of so many things that most people seem to think are 'okay'. There certainly is no way I would date a non-vegan. I can't tolerate vegetarianism anymore, and my feelings about animal cruelty just get stronger and stronger, and people making excuses just make me sick. I won't consider dating a meat-eater even if they say "huhhhhuhh I like animals I just uhhh uhhhhhh" etc, I spit on that. I think I could only date someone who was about as 'strict' as me, or more strict who I would presumably learn from.

Oh, I didn't mean JUST being a hypocrite is worse than JUST eating meat....

sorry, let me clarify....

I mean I think it is worse to call yourself a vegetarian and eat meat (thereby being a hypocrite) than it is to just eat meat and fess up to the fact that you're a creton.

Does that make more sense?

6 billion people in the world. I'm sure there's at least a few of all of us.

I always wondered if I travelled to somewhere fun if I'd run into someone who looks exactly like me.

That'd be fun.

Get my picture taken with them.

Heh.

I always wondered if I travelled to somewhere fun if I'd run into someone who looks exactly like me.

That'd be fun.

No, that would suck!

I always hear things like "Oh, you look just like our nephew Knut!" or "You remind me very much of XY!"

I hate that!

I seem to have a very average face. Argh!

That's why i do bodybuilding! Does Knut do bodybuilding?!

Okay, that's not the reason why i do BB... but maybe it's among the infinite reasons