Online Blog - xskotx

One month of gym! Rewarding me with a postrock concert tonight.

Cardio:30 mins of cyclette, diff 5/12 (alternating an intense minute with a easier one)

12 minutes of intense interval training on the treadmill, diff 9/12!

Weights:

Bench press, 20 kg, 2x10, 30 kg 2x6

Biceps: 8 kg, 2x8, 7 kg 1x8

Triceps: 7-8 kg, 3x12-10-8-6

Pecs: 8-12 kg, 3x12-10-8-6

Shoulders: 8-10 kg, 3x10-8.6

Back Machine: 25-30-35 kg, 12-10-8

Squats: 10 kg 2x10 (really easy, but got to get form right!), 20 kg 2x6

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Great work skot.

Hey, perhaps I misunderstood the intro you gave a couple of weeks back. It made me believe that resistance training was new to you.

Then I go to look through your training journal and I see

"Hindu Squats"

Well, I had to look them up because I never heard of such a thing and they sound like something a kamikaze ninja would be doing right before he goes on a mission to train. Where did you get this exercise from?

I looked them up and they look really cool; a great way to get all the blood flowing and the body moving so congrats on that and thank you for teaching me something new. I have been dabbling in training for some time and these were news to me!

Perhaps you should train to become a full out ninja....

keep up the good work.

Hey, thanks! And yay for ninjas!

Any kind of training is awfully new to me by now. My only sport was some basketball as I was a kid, and I think there as been 5 years and more since that - thus my actual "weights" I got the Hindu squats and push ups from an ebook I found in another fitness forum. Hope its legit, if not Robert can delete it:

http://rapidshare.com/files/81770638/Matt_Furey_-_Combat_Conditioning.pdf.html

Its made up great, I think. Beside the three basic exercises, it has an awesome amount of incredibly difficult ones for when you master them (like, pushups as standing with a single hand) and it can make for a nice alteration iin a routine. It focuses a lot on strength rather than bulk, which is fine for me by now.

Hindu squats also work on building strength, appearantly - target should be around 250 reps. I still havent tried them long enough to see whether it works, but the legs surely do burn after a series.

Thanks for the feedback, its always nice to know someone more expert is reading through the log from time to time!

22/02/08

Cardio:

12 minutes Interval training on the treadmill, diff 8/12. Pointing to make it 24 minutes next time.

30 minutes of cyclette, diff 5/12.

Abs: 3x8 crunches, inclined bench

2x50 Hindu squats

10 Hindu pushups. Now I understood that my feet should begin with the whole plant on the pavement I hardly get to two before I feel like screaming...

Trying Wall Walking as a substitute for the Bridge in the 3 calisthenics. Still too weak even for that, but i will get to! Need some gloves, or my wall will become black.

Well, we didnt have winter to begin with, offense. Beside the fact it didnt snow for about six years here, I never really needed as much as a pullover under my jacket for the whole time this year! It was freaky - I rememer playing snowballs and having to go out with heavy clothes on when I was a little kid. I dont want to know how it will be ten years from now...

I always thought Sweden to be a nice place to live, sometime on. Dont ask me why, I really never rationalized it, but I play with the thought from time to time.

23/02/08 - Month 2, day 2

Calisthenics day - Gyms closed. Not too bad, I managed half an hour of exercise anyway.

3x15 push ups

3x10 Hindu push ups (working on the form still...)

3x50 Hindu squats (when I manage 4x50 I will just try 100 in a row)

2x30 sec Wall Chair (after the squats..)

2x1min Wall Chair

Okay, the good news is that now I have a wonderful idea for the title, but its after three pages of logging

I bought myself as a gift for the first month of training the accu measure (BF counter). Now, I know that, in my constitution, most of my bf is stored in my belly and upper legs anyway... but reading 21 percent BF really was discouraging today. Since I began with 2 kg more, it seems I had around 24 percent to begin.

So, now this blog shall be titled "From 24 to 9 percent!" Lets give this day some optimism..

26/02/08

Biceps curls: 9-7 kg, 3x8

Triceps isolated: 7-8 kg, 3x12-10-8-6

Pectorals: 8-9-10-12-14 kg, 3x12-10-8-6-4

Shoulders: 8-12 kg, 3x10-8-6-4

Back Machine: 30-35-40 kg, 12-10-8

Squats: 20 kg 2x10, 40 kg 2x6

Going to add: Compound back exercise next time.

Cardio:

2x12 mins (30 sec pause) Interval training on the treadmill, diff 8/12 (1.9 km each)

1x30 min elliptical cyclette (10 km, doing it interval- like)

Ops, skipped a day. Well, it wasnt much to begin with. Oh, and from now on things in red are stuff worse than the previous week, and green means I got better with the exercise. New ex. are blue.

27/02/08

Cardio: 2x 12 min HIIT treadmill (diff. 8/9 out of 12)

28/02/08

Biceps curls: 8 kg, 3x8

Triceps isolated: 7-8 kg, 3x8 (prefer to keep isolated exercises 3x8 for now.)

Pectorals: 8-9-10-12-14 kg, 3x12-10-8-6-4

Shoulders: 8-10 kg, 3x8 (as before)

Back Compound: 7 kg, 3x12

Squats: 20 kg 2x10, 40 kg 2x6

Cardio: 2x 12 min HIIT treadmill (diff. 8/8 out of 12)

50 mins jogging with a really slow pace, actually more for the sake of talking.

Edited by xSkotx

i am curious as to know of why some exercises are getting worse rather than flat lining or improving.

I looked up your previous workout; is it just because you are trying to change the amount of reps but even so, if anything, you should be able to at least maintain or even increase the weight. Your poundages look okay but you said 'the stuff worse than last week'.

Usually when you first start out everything just continues to improve and even down the road, the worst that could happen is you flat line until you switch stuff up, unless:

1. you are overtraining

2. You're losing an exceptional amount of weight and some of it is muscle, which is inevitable.

I think it's hard to overstimulate and overtrain when you first start and I feel that when you first start out, even if you are leaning out, you still are gaining muscle at a much more rapid rate so muscle it evens itself out.

I wonder what could be going on or am i misinterpreting what you meant to say...

either way, keep up the good work, I like your journal and a day off here and there is ok, I do it too.

Thanks for the input and advice I received for my latest post

Well, I do hope the red exercises will be as rare as possible, but I am a pessimist at heart, so I felt like adding the color for that as well. BTW, the two red exercises of last time were done worse partly because I (ignorantly) thought isolated exercises would be good for my strength as well.

I informed myself somehow in this last month, learning from scratch about what is actually useful and what is gibberish, so I got mostly input that curls and the like just get you a good body for display. While not disliking the idea I think that the decreasing reps (six and four) would not have done much anyway, so I cut the exercise to only three reps of 8.

I couldnt manage a whole series of 8 of 12 kg, when I was used to have four reps with that, so I cut that weight off. Was I misinformed, or would the change of reps bring me worse results?

I guess I should have informed myself sooner, but I definitely intend on going to the gym with the thought of growing better no matter what!

Im planning my second "stage" more thoroughly. I will post a planned schedule tomorrow..

29/02/08

Cardio day

12 minutes HIIT on the treadmill diff.8/12. (Some of told me daily interval training would tire my heart and generally bring little results and bad health; what would your opinion be? I prefer it much over jogging at a definite pace.)

30 minutes elliptical cyclette, diff 5/12

Going to hit the gym now!

01/03/08

Cardio: 12 mins Interval Training on the treadmill, 8/12

Weights:

Bench press, 20 kg, 2x12, 30 kg 2x6

Biceps curls: 9kg, 3x8

Triceps isolated: 8-9-10 kg, 3x8

Pectorals: 9-10-12-14 kg, 3x12-10-8-4

Shoulders: 9-14 kg, 3x12-10-8-4

Back Compound: 8-9-10 kg, 3x12

Squats: 30 kg 2x12, 40 kg 2x6

Most of this green is probably cause I didnt do nearly as much cardio as I do during the week. But I felt like making a higher standard for myself to beat than the reddish last days program

I changed the reps on the shoulder exercise again, as it felt simply easier wih those I had been training with.

Oh, damn. Had a couple of frantic days - including a school exam, a fish smelling bureucrat and a sore shoulder which didnt allow me to bench press any good.

3/03/08

2x12 min HIIT treadmill

1x six min jogging treadmill

4/03/08

skipped...

5/03/08

30 mins ellyptical cyclette, diff. 5/12

12 mins HIIT treadmill

Bench press, 20 kg, 2x12. My shoulder was sore, didnt want to injure it an further with heavier weight.

Biceps curls: 9-10kg, 3x8

Shoulders: 9-12 kg, 3x12-10-8 (as previously stated, I went on until it was almost painful, then stopped)

Back Compound: 8-9-10 kg, 3x12

Squats: 30 kg 2x12, 50 kg 2x6

Still greenish, even with the small accident. I will repair that in two days!

Next week I will be in Austria, so I probably

1) will have very little vegan food besides pasta and bread = terrile diet

2) only walking as an exercise, and as my teachers are morbidly obese, that seems to be in doubt as well.

Wish I couldnt go, really. Well, after that Cycle 2 of my cutting will begin!

06/03/08

Cardio:

30 mins normal cyclette (actually my first time not on an ellyptical. Somehow more difficult; i did it with a constant speed, not interval as usual)

12 mins HIIT on an ellyptical cyclette.

I relly have to get back to calysthenics. And also, my meals arent as regular as they were. Will work on it.

07/03/08

Cardio:

30 mins ellyptical cyclette, diff. 5/12

12 mins HIIT treadmill, diff. 8/12

Slowly becoming boring. But the other cardio machines look like failures.

Weights:

Bench press, 20 kg, 2x12, 30 kg 1x6 [shoulder still some sore]

Biceps curls: 9-10kg, 3x8

Shoulders: 9-14 kg, 3x12-10-8-4 [this is easy]

Back Compound: 8-10-12 kg, 3x12

Squats: 30 kg 2x12, 50 kg 2x6

Aw, I wish I could, but it was a scool organised trip - no free time at all.

But today I got back on track, and with today Cycle 1 is closed

Cardio:

45 minutes elliptical cyclette, steady rhythm, diff. 5/12

12 minutes HIIT on the treadmill, diff. 8/12

Ill be posting my new program this evening for Cycle 2. Still cutting, even though it feels like I lost most of my gains in this damn trip. Sucks.

Ugh, was too tired even to update yesterday! I surely felt the lack of a weeks worth of training.

Bench press: 30 kg, 2x12, 40 kg 1x6 (very sloppy)

Biceps curls: 9-10-10kg, 3x8

Triceps isolated: 9-9-10 kg, 3x8

Pectorals: 9-10-12-14 kg, 3x12-10-8-4 (more sloppy than usual)

Shoulders: 9-12 kg, 3x12-10-8-4

Back Compound: 8-10-12 kg, 3x12

Squats: 30 kg 2x12, 60 kg 2x6

Going to work on this for this week, than I will be changing program; probably keeping the bench press, squats and back exercise as they are, since they are the newest of the bunch.

I felt like making a higher standard for myself to beat than the reddish last days program

Slowly becoming boring. But the other cardio machines look like failures.

I love to see the green, very nice! As far as the cardio machines, I tend to favor the elliptical also. The treadmill never did it for me but it is def the other machine that is appealing to most so I hear you. I happen to enjoy riding on the stationary bike; I know it looks dull but it works for me. What other machines do they have at your gym? You also don't necessarily have to be on a machine to get your cardio accomplished. Perhaps if you purchased a jump rope, a rather inexpensive proposition that could be challenging and fun and torturous once you get really fast and consistent. Do they have a punching bag or a speed bag b/c that is also on of my fav things to do to break a sweat and enjoy myself. How cold is it outdoors, perhaps you could take to jogging/cycling/stair sprints outdoors; even if it's cold, if you put on thermals it's not as bad as you think. I was outside 3 times a week in subfreezing weather over here all of last month. Just make sure to get indoors once you atop otherwise the sweat on your clothes makes you cold. They have this cardio machine at my gym called "The Wave" and it looks really cool and effective

http://static.flickr.com/99/293589734_5934c16bbf_o.jpg

but I get most of my cardio accomplished on the racquetball court, as well as outdoors running and cycling.

FORZA ITALIA! http://www.mapsofworld.com/images/world-countries-flags/italy-flag.gif

Your posts always manage to make me change my plan for training to include your suggestions - ever thought of going into politics?

I like the stationary bike as well, but I think it uses less muscles than the elliptical - or maybe its the position that tires me out in less time, so I dont use it as often. As for other cardio machines, they just have one that makes you look like you are skiing, with two sticks to put your hands on and two place for the feet, and one really similar to yours, but with the movement vertical instead of parallel to the floor.

I have thought of jogging more than once, but my buddy really seems to be lazy Its more tiring than ever around here, because every street is either really steep or OHMYGOD steep. Thats why no one I know has or is able to use a bycicle. At least weather is no problem, its around 15 degrees C.

Is the cardio less effective when you use for a long time the same machines, just as for weight lifting the same exercises do? Or would it just be a question to enjoy the training more? Will probably (90 percent) implement some of your suggestion anyway, seems definitely better either way!

P.S. Forza Italia was a right wing party including this guy:

http://luigirossi.ilcannocchiale.it/mediamanager/sys.user/22683/berlusconi_dito%20medio.jpg

Always kinda awkward hearing it - but your italian is good, with a couple of months here you could easily pass as one of the spaghetti tribe!

As for todays training:

Cardio:

30 minutes elliptical, diff 5/12

Weights:

Bench press: 30 kg, 2x12, 40 kg 2x5

Biceps curls: 9-10-10kg, 3x8

Triceps isolated: 9-10-10 kg, 3x8

Shoulders: 9-14 kg, 3x12-10-8-4

Back Compound: 9-10-12-14 kg, 3x12-10-8-4

Squats: 30 kg 2x12, 60 kg 2x6

Felt really good, for once. I finally had to admit I cant lift nothing after one hour of cardio

As for other cardio machines, they just have one that makes you look like you are skiing, with two sticks to put your hands on and two place for the feet, and one really similar to yours, but with the movement vertical instead of parallel to the floor.

I have thought of jogging more than once, but my buddy really seems to be lazy Confused Its more tiring than ever around here, because every street is either really steep or OHMYGOD steep.

Is the cardio less effective when you use for a long time the same machines, just as for weight lifting the same exercises do?

P.S. Forza Italia was a right wing party including this guy:

I wonder if it's like a nordic track (google it). In any event, change is good; it keeps you front being burnt out and trains different muscles while still working out your organ muscles and keeping your hr elevated.

Dude, STEEP HILLS, what are you waiting for?!?!?!? I wish there were steep hills when I walked outside of my house. Do you have any idea how beneficial jogging uphill terrain is for leg development? You will have the biggest calves you've ever seen. As far as your partner being lazy, make a music player your partner, you seem like you truly appreciate good music and i'm sure it would make the time pass by.

I want to hear some stories of you jogging uphill from time to time. At the moment, i'm somewhat envious that these conditions are right outside of your door.

I had no clue that forza italia was a political group and no way would i ever ever be a politician; I know absolutely nothing about politics and I feel they are a bunch of schmucks who just say what people want to hear and do whatever they are payed off to do. What a joke politics are. Sorry for that comment. It's just that I have this Milan Scarf (soccer team) and it says forza milan on it so i just replaced it with italia ever since i got it and thought it was a cool thing to say.

JOG THOSE HILLS!!!!

Finally, last day on cycle 1. (Admittedly late to begin with the second, I am just looking more into the exercises of cycle2, since I never saw before most of them) I copied this from a forum; while my previous cycle was mainly BBing, this time I am going to have a 90 percent strength building training. Should last at least two months.

Monday

Deadlift 5x5

Bent Over Rows 4x4-8 [ital. Rematore]

Weighted Pullups or Lat Pulldowns 3x4-8

Seated Row 4x4-8

I dont know if my gym has the cable seated row - so, if you have alternatives, Ill be glad to know them! Exspecially if tey are calysthenics, I find them the most fun to train with.

Wednesday

Squats: 5x5

Leg Presses: 4x4-8

Lunges: 4x4-8

[Jump Squats: 3x6-10]

Friday

Flat Bench Press: 5 sets of 5, or 5x5

Incline Dumbbell Bench Press: 4 sets of 4-8

[Overhead Press: 4 sets of 4-8]

Weighted Tricep Dips: 4 sets of 4-8

Still need to find a .gif or something of the one between the []. Happy to hear your opinions about this training

As for today:

Cardio:

30 mins elliptical cyclette, diff. 6/12

Weights:

Bench press: 30 kg, 2x12, 40 kg 1x6 (very sloppy)

Biceps curls: 10kg, 3x8

Triceps isolated: 10 kg, 3x8

Pectorals: 10-12-14-16 kg, 3x12-10-8-4

Shoulders: 10-14 kg, 3x12-10-8-4

Back Compound: 10-12-14-16 kg, 4x12-10-8-4

Squats: 50 kg 2x12, 60 kg 2x6

Cycle 2!!

Cardio day:

30 mins on step machine, diff. 7/12 (410 cal consumed, appearantly, but it felt way easier than the elliptical)

12 minutes HIIT on the treadmill, diff 9/12.

Checked at 22:40 the BF, stuck at 17.5 percent since a couple of weeks. Hopefully the new cardio will aid to get at least around 14 in a month or so.