Soreness

Is it a good thing to be sore the day or two after a workout?

DOMS - Delayed Onset Muscle Soreness is pretty common. I don't know if I would call it a good thing, but it isn't anything to worry about. The soreness is very different from an injury. For most people DOMS is only noticeable in the first few weeks of training or after a break. Within a few weeks your body should adapt to your new routine and DOMS will be greatly diminished or completely gone.

yep, DOMS. not a bad thing. but if it persists perhaps try improving your technqiue in the gym and/or stretching more (before and after your workouts).

Be careful will the before and after stretching comments, kollison does not approve of that method

yep, DOMS. not a bad thing. but if it persists perhaps try improving your technqiue in the gym and/or stretching more (before and after your workouts).

Be careful will the before and after stretching comments, kollison does not approve of that method

He's a big dude too. Watch out!

I stretch between sets, seems to be the most effective for me. Sometimes I stretch after lifting too, but don't usually have time.

I stretch between sets, seems to be the most effective for me. Sometimes I stretch after lifting too, but don't usually have time.

LOL...its not me bro, I learned it from the ISSA and they know a lot. Dr Sal Arria and Dr Hatfield wrote the book Plus they have board members such as Bill Pearl (an ovo lactose vegetarian last time I heard, and he won Universe or Olympia like that). Plus it makes sense

I only said that becuase we had already had that dicussion! haha

no negative condentation implied!

• 3 weeks later...

Hey all,

I just want to say that I strongly disagree with some of your posts. If, as one of you mentioned, your body gets used to your routine such that you no longer get sore, then it is time to switch your routine so that you do start feeling that post-workout soreness. I know that some experts for some reason believe that muscle soreness should go away after the first few weeks of starting a new program. But this is by no means a universally accepted proposition in the fitness industry. Other fitness champions and models, (like Meagan Brenner - not vegan in case any of you are wondering - but an awesome and very knowledgable former world class fitness model), in fact, claims that it makes no sense at all. According to her and experts like her, muscle soreness is the result of inflamed muscle cells, which in turn is part of the repair process making that muscle leaner and stronger. So, as Meagan has said, if you feel nothing, you'll get no results. So if you are no longer feeling any soreness, it is time to increase your intensity because the soreness is what you are aiming for. If, however, you are really sore and this lasts for longer than a few days, then I would be more concerned that perhaps you are overtraining. But if your body has adapted to your training routine, then you do NOT want to keep doing that same routine because it will no longer be efficient or effective - you always want to keep your muscles guessing so they don't get use to anything.

Frankly, of the two camps, I think Meagan Brunner's theory makes way more sense than the theory that "your soreness will subside in a few weeks of beginning training."

When I first started working out, and especially when I first started doing squats I used to get really bad DOMS - where it hurt just to stand up or sit down. But I don't get post-workout soreness at all anymore.

Compassionategirl - I don't get DOMS anymore, and I've been making steady gains for the past year or so. I do, however, feel a good burn while doing a set til failure. Also, I change my routine every few weeks or so to avoid boredom and to shock my muscles. Anyway, for me at least, I think the burn I get while I'm working out is a good thing, but DOMS doesn't really help me any.

Hey Willpeavy,

Well certainly if something is working for you and you are happy with the progress you are making, then absolutely do what works for you

FOr me personally, I know that I see better and quicker results when I get post-workout soreness, and so I am always trying to achieve that without overtraining. ANd yes, I too get a wicked burn when working as I think this is also important.

Keep doing what your body responds well too and take good care

I agree with what compassionate girl says. I see soreness as a sign that I did a lot of work and really stressed my muslces. It also encourages me to eat more. I feel better when I eat. The muslces are sore and want nutrients so I should give it to them!

• 1 month later...
what experience have you guys made with working out on sore muscles

I still have a good burn after 40 hours of rest and now ask myself whether or not I should workout today or rest some more...

Rest some more mate...And stretch it out. Seeing that its only 1 day out of the week, theres a lot of time to work it out again.