Can't play drums at home anymore

Richard

Neighbours have been assholes, and even though every time they complained about my drumming, I stopped playing, and even though they told me "You can't play after 8pm, and not at all at weekends" and I kept to that entirely, they've contacted Environmental Health, who visited today. So basically, although in theory I can keep playing, they will complain again and then legal action can be taken, a big hoo-haa, surveys taken, sound level equipment, etc etc. I don't want any trouble, and I've co-operated 100% with my neighbours about my drumming, and it's insulting that they've contacted Environmental Health, rather than just talk to me more about it like a civil human being, to sort out an arrangement which I would have happily gone along with. Also now I have to find another place to play drums. It seems I will have to practice at the studio that I go to, but that'll cost me money each time, to rent out the space, and I have no money at all. So for now, I can't play drums and practice for my next album AT ALL. I am feeling okay about it, not like totally stressing, but it does feel a bit depressing. I dunno what our neighbours wanted from me. I'd understand them going to Environmental Health if I had been unco-operative in the past and told them to fuck off etc. But I've always said to them 'Sure just let me know what you want me to do' and then I kept to it, and been polite to them even though they're mean to me, and once made my mum cry from shouting at her. They have the nerve to call me inconsiderate. They are really self-centered about this whole issue, and just see me as an irritation rather than a person who is trying to achieve something with his hobbies.

I know asshole neighbours. Not worth the high blood pressure.

Our neighbours shot at our cat with an air-pressure gun and injured her.

Since then it's cold war.

I'd say, go play your drums real loud now

But maybe you want to prevent the stress to exaggerate for your parent's sake, I'd probably do that.

If you were living on your own, it could be fun, though...

'Sure just let me know what you want me to do' and then I kept to it, and been polite to them even though they're mean to me, and once made my mum cry from shouting at her.

When I read that line about your mum MY blood pressure instantly skyrocketed.

NOBODY messes with our mums -- now that is just plain war after that.

These people sound very ignorant. I see no reason why they would go behind your back like that in view of the fact that you were being totally cooperative. Clearly, they are just plain assholes. So dont waste your energy trying to figure them out beyond that.

I dont know what advice to give you except I am gald that you arent feeling too stressed about this Rich. Dont let it get you down, or the assholes win.

I really hope that they get what they deserve, especially for making your mum cry. That just aint cool.

Our neighbours shot at our cat with an air-pressure gun and injured her.

Since then it's cold war.

a war indeed NOBODY messes with my parents or my animals and gets away with it.

I hope your cat is okay and safe now Alex. Idiots -- they cannot pick on something that can actually defend itself so they have to shoot at a little helpess cat?

The world is full of human garbage.

Editted to clean up the language a bit.

we had exactly the same problem with drums when i was in a band a few years back. we played in a sound proofed shed at the bottom of my friends (the drummer) garden. we did not play loudly, nor at anti social times. we covered the drums with pads so that it was less loud.

never the less they still wrote to the council, and we got a letter warning us to shut up. funny thing is that they always had their windows open - they werent even directly next door, but one down. it kinda killed the band practices from there on.

i just bought a kit, but luckilly its electric (a really good one) so its quite. if you can afford it richard, sell your acoustic, and get a second hand electric one off ebay. mine is a yamaha dtxpress and its brilliant

jonathan

So many neighbors don't appreciate the concept of compromise. And going to the environmental agency when you were clearly trying to work with them was mean-spirited & very un-neighborly. I wonder about the types of personalities that want to escalate to a higher authroity right away. What is it about them that they can't work with others. I bet when they were kids if things didn't go their way they threatened to take their ball & go home. Arghhh! So childish!

And Daywalker, if anyone tried to hurt my animals, it would definitely be war! You can mess with me & even with my stuff, but don't you dare hurt one of my animals.

Sorry you both have such jerks to deal with.

Here in the states (at least Ohio where I am from) there are sound ordinances. From something like 8am till 8pm you can make loud noise, and to hell with the neighbors. Before and after that time you can get cited by the cops. I don't understand how you can never be allowed to play your drums on your own property, even during the day. God forbid you do something like mow the lawn, it may be too loud

Thanks for your support. I have put padding in the drum kit, and me and my dad put up insulation in the roof specifically to help with the noise. I have thought about an electric kit, but my kit is way past its sell-by-date, and it's a rusty piece a crap, so I won't be able to afford an electric kit any time soon even if I sell my existing kit. I'll be okay, it's not a life or death situation, just have to be patient and wait until I find a solution. Luckily I have had a lot of practice over the last few weeks, so should still be on track for recording, even without drum practice over the coming weeks.

Maybe you can watch the neighbors and determine when they leave, and return. Maybe sit on your roof and glare at them a little. I'd watch for about 2 weeks to notice some consistent routines. Play drums when the neighbors leave. Maybe a sibling, friend, family member can tell you when the neighbors return.

hey i know this is totally lame and will cost money....but look into an electronic drumkit to practice....you can beat them all day and unless you have the speakers turned up loud, no one can hear it...only you with the headphones on. theyre totally lame for live shows though cause I like the authenticity of a real drum kit, but I saw one band use an ekit live and it was amazing.

Yeah if I could afford the electric kit, I'd buy it, they are good things. If set up properly they can sound live or recorded, but they are especially good for practice, although right now I am not as good on an electric kit as it feels a bit different. But I'd get used to it, if I had one.

EDIT: Collegeb, I hadn't thought of doing that :P i guess that's possible to scout them out. But I think one of them is unemployed and doesn't go out much.

Here in the states (at least Ohio where I am from) there are sound ordinances. From something like 8am till 8pm you can make loud noise, and to hell with the neighbors. Before and after that time you can get cited by the cops. I don't understand how you can never be allowed to play your drums on your own property, even during the day. God forbid you do something like mow the lawn, it may be too loud

We have the same ordinances here, but it's 10pm. I used to go over to a friend's house to watch their band practices and we had the cops called any time we went a minute past 10pm. We started stopping at 9pm just to be safe.

• 4 weeks later...

Well, the lady from environmental health said that the law in this country (england) is that no matter what time of day it is, if the noise is of a certain level, and continues for a certain period of time, and causes a problem for somebody, then it is illegal. It is possible that perhaps my drumming would not come into those categories, but I think it would.

Anyway, i managed to get into the recording studio and record the drum tracks, and I managed to remember everything. So it's not so bad, just in future, I dunno where I will practice.

That sucks Richard ! Was it stated how your drumming was affecting them and what proof did they have to show that it is ?

Environmental health just gave me a warning, basically said that they had had a complaint, they weren't telling me I had to stop or threatening with any action at the time, and they don't have evidence or anything. But they let me know that if they get another complaint, they will bring in the audio equipment to see the level of the noise, and the neighbours have a log of when I play drums, and can basically say whatever the hell they like in that. I just don't want the hassle of it all. My home life with my parents is very 'complicated' as it is, and my parents and my neighbours are constantly at each other's throats. I don't want to contribute to all that