Need opinions on bday meal with omnis who don't want tofu !

Crash

My birthday will be celebrated this weekend and I have gotten my wish of a vegan meal and cake this year (I had to bargain to do it ! ) My problem is that all of my family members are omnis, who do not want nor will eat anything with tofu.

I have played around with a vegan moussaka recipe or do you think it would be better to have a vegan lasagna without the cheez or tofu ? Instead of the tofu I could sub a white beshemel sauce (or does that sound gross ?) Please advise.

VEGAN MOUSSAKA:

ingredients:

3 eggplants (or 1 eggplant, and two zucchini)

2 lbs of mashed potatoes

2 onions, chopped

1 clove garlic, minced

½ tsp nutmeg

2 TBSP parsley

1 eight oz. can of tomato sauce

½ cup red wine

olive oil

dairy-free margarine

salt and pepper to taste

ingredients for cream sauce (béchamel):

2 cups hot soy milk or non-dairy creamer

3 TBSP flour

¼ cup dairy-free margarine

salt and pepper to taste

Peel eggplant (and zucchini, if using) and cut lengthwise into ½ inch slices.

Sauté mashed potatoes in margarine, salt and pepper, onions, and garlic until browned.

Add parsley, tomato sauce, and wine. Simmer for 25 minutes.

While simmering make Bechemel sauce:

Cream Sauce (béchamel):

Melt margarine in pan.

Add flour and stir until smooth.

Gradually add hot soy milk (or non-dairy creamer), stirring constantly until thickened.

Season with salt and pepper to taste.

In greased baking pan (9x13x2) layer eggplant then potato mixture, then zucchini (or more eggplant if zucchini is not used), then potato mixture.

Repeat until all of the ingredients are used.

Top with cream sauce.

After moussaka is completely assembled, bake at 350°F for 1 hour.

Salad

Vegan tiropitakia:

1 bunch of Leeks

Button Mushrooms

1 Large Onion

Tomato Sauce

Olive oil

Oregano

Salt and pepper

Vegan Margarine

Vegan Puff Pastry

Filling:

Grate onion and sautee in olive oil until start turning brown. Add sliced mushrooms and leeks to onions and continue to sautee until mushrooms start to get soft. Add tomato sauce and spices to mixture, stirring frequently until leeks are soft as well.

Melt margarine and brush on one side of puff pastry then fold left side and right side in to make a rectangle. Brush margarine on rectangle and add a dollop of mixture and roll up pastry into triangles. Put on tray.

When you are done, brush margarine on top of all the tiropitakia on the tray.

Bake at 350 degrees until pastry starts to get flakey.

Veggies

Vegan Chocolate covered Strawberry Shortcake (from a bakery)

Do I need anything else ? Am I missing anything ? Does this sound gross ? Should I chuck it and just go for pasta with veggies ? Please help !

Edited by Crash

Happy Birthday!

I just had my birthday dinner on monday. Against my will my mom made a chicken pot pie with meat grrr for the omnis. I was mad, but my mom derives alot of her self worth from her cooking and plus she was still throwing me a dinner...And she made a vegan shepards pie for me and my brother. WELL much to my moms chagrin the Vegan Shepards pie was way more popular than her evil chicken pot pie. She made it with vegan ground beef, mushrooms, peas and carrots, and she made the mashed potatoes with vegan margerine and veg broth. She used a seasoning packet, but I am sure you can find the necessary spices online if you decide to try it.

Good luck with whatever you decide to make!

Tofu needs an image makeover!

First off, happy birthday Crash!

Second, that meal sounds fabulous. The moussaka sounds amazing. Go with it!

Sidenote- is there much in Greek cuisine that is vegan? Pre-vegan, greek was one of my favorite types of food and I had no problem getting vegetarina stuff. The Greek Cuisina downtown (some of the locals might know where I'm talking about ) was my favorite! Think there's much there I could eat now?

Thank you all very much for your birthday wishes! My official birthday is tomorrow when I will turn 25 (actually I've been turning 25 for a couple of years now ) and your kind wishes are much appreciated.

That Shepherd's Pie recipe sounds great chesty.....maybe tomorrow.......

Come on over CrispyQ, the more the merrier -- and the more vegans the better as far as I'm concerned.

I'm sorry to say that Greek food is generally not vegan veggymeggy. There are a few, but not many. Fortunately recipes can be veganized. I can give you a few recipes if you'd like.

I'm sorry to say that Greek food is generally not vegan veggymeggy. There are a few, but not many. Fortunately recipes can be veganized. I can give you a few recipes if you'd like.

That would be awesome. Italian and Greek food are my favourites.

That WOULD be awesome. Life without Greek food just wouldn't be worthwhile ...and Italian, and Indian, and Mexican. MMMMMMM. I think I love food just a little too much!