HSOrlandos 2013 Journal: Being vegan in a non vegan world

Friday: rest day

Saturday: Cardio Strength class: I think shoulders were the focus of this class, although we did all the other bodyparts too. It was a beautiful day in Florida, so I couldn't back out of running. So even though I didn't feel up to it for various reasons I ended up running my furthest distance yet of 4 miles. It wasn't a fast pace or anything, but it was a nice run around the lake, and down some quiet streets in the heart of Downtown Orlando.

Sunday: This morning I ended up at a Panera's with my family, the location is at the lake that I run to. I obviously didn't eat anything, but I did get some coffee, and added some silk creamer to it, before I walked back to the Y, where we had to park the car. I left early to get to my class in time.

It was a killer Step class. I finally got the choreography that was introduced last week. After the class I ate a clif bar, and finished my coffee from earlier. Then read for about an hour, and did Body Pump. I'm starting to get discouraged about my goals, and getting certified as a personal trainer. The only thing that keeps me going is getting to the gym, and being around people in the field. And it sometimes helps to post stuff here.

• Replies 878
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I almost didn't make it to the Body Pump class tonight. But I did get there and only missed half the warmup, about 2 minutes I think, so I can't complain. Since this newest release for BP, I've had to go lighter on several things, but yesterday, and today I finally upped the weight again. Squats are back to 40lbs, instead of my drop to 35. On chest I went with 25 lbs, instead of my decrease to 20. On back I used 30, instead of my decrease to 25. I think that's it, but just going up 5 pounds on stuff was difficult. Oh and this release you start with a barbell for lunges and I've been using 35 lbs. Shoulders still suck, but I'm working very hard on them, and I know they'll eventually cooperate.

Tuesday I did Muscle Toning. Towards the end of the class we were informed that we should have had muscle fatigue in every area that we did, at least that was the intention for the class. Well it worked, I was very tired after MT and muscles were very fatigued too. I think it was a good thing that I took the night off from running, as I could barely walk to the locker room.

Today I walked to the gym after work. My legs are a bit sore still, but I managed to run for 2 miles before Body Pump. I also managed to keep my barbell at its heaviest too. In fact a few times the instructor was going lighter than me, but then switched to the heavier weight that I was using. I'm glad I could be of assistance. My muscles are very tired now, and I'm glad that they're getting the next two days off to rest.

Thursday I ran for 4 miles. That's all I did, but I almost didn't even do that because it started raining. But I waited 15 minutes and it stopped, and it also cooled off a bit, so I did end up having a nce run. I just ran around the block, because I didn't want to get caught at the lake if the rain started again. After my run I was also happy to see that I am still consistent in my times, about 10 minutes a mile. It ends up being longer than that when I go to the lake because I have a couple of big streets to cross, and there's always traffic.

Today was my off day, but I ended up at the Y because my brother was going, and I was picked up by him. I didn't have my workout gear with me so I ended up just eating a banana and waiting for him to finish. On another note I did get my runniing shoes, so I tried them out today, just to wear, and they fit so that's good.

Saturday they used the group fitness room for a special Qi Gong class, so we got to have the Cardio Strength class outside on the track.It was very windy, and a bit cold, but by the end of the warmup it didn't feel that bad. We started by warming up around the track, twice. This is only an eighth of a mile so it wasn't long. Then we used our weights (8lbs) for bicep curls, shoulder presses, tricep kickbacks,hammer curls, and other exercises that we did standing. Inbetween we ran. lunged, shuffled, and skipped around the track. And then we hit the weights a few more times. We ended upin a smaller room inside for pushups, abs and stretching. I rested for about 15 minutes, and ate a banana, then went running. I was quite happy that I still did my 4 miles, even with the wind. I finally got to try my new running shoes too.

Sunday was Step, and Body Pump. I also found out 2 of the trainers were in different races on Saturday. Both of them also mentioned the running conditions in the wind, it was like running into a force field, so I was happier with my run. Maybe next year I'll be ready for the 15k that one of them did. It's apparently a big race in Jacksonville Florida, and they run over a bridge and next to a river, sound like fun. Anyway I had fun on Sunday, even though I was a bit sore from Saturday.

Edited by hsorlando

Did Body Pump tonight. And I couldn't feel my triceps afterwards either. I finally went up in the warmup weight. My old bb weight was 20lbs, but today I went with 25lbs. I also went up with triceps. But before I used the barbell for tricep extentions, and pullovers I started with dips off the step, and then overhead tricep extentions with 10 lb plates. I didn't finish with the barbell, but almost got through. Also I used to only use 2 risers on each side for my step, but have added an extra one on each side so now I get a better dip. I think my squats are also improving as I seem to get down lower than I used to, but can't say for 100% yet.

I'm starting to get discouraged about my goals, and getting certified as a personal trainer. The only thing that keeps me going is getting to the gym, and being around people in the field. And it sometimes helps to post stuff here.

Don't get discouraged. Your consistency is really inspiring. I like reading your training journal, so keep posting !

Thanks Laura, I'm not that discouraged at the moment. I'm back on track, and I have found a few dates in the next few months for the training course.

Today I did Muscle Toning, and then ran for four miles. The first 2 I ran with the trainer, and someone else. The pace was a lot faster than I run, but I kept up, and finished my last 2 miles by myself. I guess I'd better push myself to go faster sometimes, or else I won't get faster. Tomorrow I may have to skip BodyPump, so I may do Cardio Jump again, but that's not definite. I'm a little afraid of that class lol!

Ok, I did take the Cardio Jump class today, and it was HARD! Actually I think it was easier than a few weeks ago, but I made it harder by pushing myself more. At one point my right calf muscle was getting real tight, but that was towards the end of the class, so I didn't stop.

It started with a quick stretch, then jumping rope for about 5 minutes. Then we started with our stations. It'sa bit complicated, but I'll try to explain. The first station was five or six steps lined up,and at different heights, some with 3 risers on each side,and some with 4 or 5 on each side. The object was to jump onto the step, squat, touch the step, jump down,etc. Then when you were finished you had to lunge back to the start again. Inbetween stations we did different squats, lunges, jump rope intervals as a group. The second station was holding 12 pound weights leaving one foot on a step, about 5 risers on each side, and lifting the other leg bringing your knee real high, then we switched legs 3rd station was jumping over hurdles, and then squat jumps back to the beginning. 4th was jumping between cones and touching the cone with your hand, and the 5th station was jumping onto a very high step, 5 risers on each side, by this point it was all any of us could do to step onto it lol. Then we did pushups, and a quick stretch.

I haven't posted my food intake for quite awhile so I thought I'd update.

Breakfast has mostly been oatmeal w/banana and 1 cup black coffee/ or sometimes I'm in the mood for cold cereal and I'll have something like Kashi, or Optimum with flax, and soy with unsweetened soy milk

Lunch I have at work and is usually an Amy's pot pie, or salad, or Amy's black bean enchilada meal

Snack banana before workout

then I usually workout for an hour

snack clif,or luna bar, or piece of fruit

dinner usually a grain (I prefer long grain brown rice), some sort of protein (vegan burger,or other soy food) and a vegetable (green beans, peas, etc.)

dessert I usually only have once or twice a week, it's usually a vegan cookie

beverages are generally ice tea, water, and coffee which I try to limit

This has been working pretty well for me. I haven't been tired, have had plenty of energy for my workouts, and running, and am still losing a bit of weight. I know I need more fresh fruits, but I think my consumption of bananas, and canteloupe make up for it lol. I would like to cut out the clif bars, mostly because of the sugar intake, but for now they're quick, and easy to pack. I leave for work around 930 am, and don't generally get home until around 8pm, so I know this accounts for some of my quick meals.

Today I did Muscle Toning. I was bad though and skipped my run. I did have a reason, I didn't have any lunch and therefore didn't have much energy. I've been fairly consistent with the running, so I guess it's alright if I skip one occassionally. MT was hard too, my legs were quite shaky probably because of my jumping yesterday.

The YMCA that I workout at also seems to have a curse against runners. Last October one of the trainers had her foot run over, by her boyfriend, but ran the Chicago Marathon anyway, and is still having trouble with her foot. And now one of the trainers that just did a 15k race, with some very heavy winds has a fractured foot. Maybe I aught to start running elsewhere lol! This just goes to show that possibly I should just keep my short runs for awhile.

Spooky. You could run outdoors? I remember reading in earlier posts that you don't prefer the weather during these months as it is cooler outdoors but i'm sure you could pull it off if need be.

It's pretty cold up here in NYC right now and has been but b/c of potter's stories and motivation, i've been training outdoors in sub freezing weather for considerable periods of time. As long as I don't stop i'm ok. Once I am finished, my sweat against the clothing makes me cold but other than than, dressed adequately, it's not so bad.

And man I thought I was brave, you should see the people and how they show up at the nyrrc races outdoors in short running shorts, tank tops, ultra thin track outfits with no socks, it's frightening!

A Jump class sounds cool; your gym has much diversity in it's classes, awesome.

I do run outside now, it's in one of my older posts when I made the transition. Here's a recap of my running adventure so far. Back in September 2007 I wasn't running at all, and believed I couldn't. Basically one of the trainers that I know at the gym told me it was all in my head. So I started on the treadmill for 1 mile, which took me 12 minutes. By the time I was up to 3 miles I decided to take it outside, which I knew would be harder, what with the heat, humidity, and so forth. Another trainer was willing to run with me one day a week, and help me with form, etc, and at no cost too! She's been running for 20 years and knows her stuff. Anyway I started outside in November, I believe, and found out about a 5k that the Y was having. So I made it to 3 miles, and ran my first 5k on December 28th. It was a lot of fun, and I caught the running bug that day. Now I'm up to 4 miles outside, and am considering running a 10k on March 29th, if I can still register. The running has also helped me with my weight training. My legs have gotten a lot stronger, and I think I am slimming down some, finally, and losing some more weight. Finally, after like 3 months of no weight loss, the scale is going down, and I'm also getting more definition, and more muscular thanks to the Body Pump classes that I take.

I did Cardio Strength today. Nothing special to post, it was a good hard workout as usual, and that's basically the reason I go to this gym. I can count on the trainers in the group classes to give good workouts. I've been thinking of possibly after I get my personal trainer certification for one of my ceu's getting a group fitness cert too. That's what the majority of the trainers at my Y do, and they seem to love their jobs, but I'll think more on this later.

After the class I ran for 4 miles, while my Mom took the Yoga class. Of course when I got back to the gym I was very hot, and thirsty, and my brother seemed to think I could just help him right away with his two daughters. But I had to slow down my breathing a bit, and get some water first, and that made him not too happy. Then he was upset because the Yoga class was 75minutes, not 60, and he was about to interrupt my Mom's workout. But I told him that wasn't a very nice thing to do, especially when she deserves some time to do something for herself. But anyway that's a long, and pretty much daily argument between my brother and I.You'd think we were 15 and 16, not 26 and 27. Basically he sees things as being all about his 2 daughters, and nothing else is as meaningful in life. And I see things a bit differently, I think in order for him to get as much help as he does with his kids, that the people helping ed time to take care of themselves first.

Edited by hsorlando

Today I really pushed myself in my workouts. Of course this could have to do with the fact that all I ate all day was 2 luna bars,and a banana. I didn't realize I was out of soymilk, so I couldn't eat anything better for breakfast. Anyway the Step class didn't have impossible choreography to follow, so I could focus more on the cardio part. Then in Body Pump I was feeling a bit worn down, probably because I'm not eating as well as I should be, I know that. But I pushed myself and had a good workout.

Next Saturday is the new Body Pump release, I think I may have been the first to sign up for it. So I have something new to look forward to. And I think Body Pump will have 2 times on Saturday coming soon. They will end up taking away Cardio Strength though. I'll miss that class, but it may be for the best. I run on Saturdays, and I'm usually too tired from Cardio Strength, because of the cardio part, but if I take a BP class I may have a little extra in me.

Today did quick 45 minute Muscle Toning workout. It was pretty fast paced one exercise right after the other so we could get it all in. I was feeling yesterdays Body Pump workout more than I thought I would. My right shoulder felt pretty tight, and my chest and triceps felt sore too. I think this was from pushing the bench press part in BP. Anyway after the MT class I went running, but only did 3 miles. I had gone to the gym with my brother and he was waiting for me. I'm running tomorrow though so it's probably best that I didn't over do the run. I also weighed myself and even though it was later in the day, and a different scalel I'm at 135. At this point I'm not too worried about my weight, but if I lose a bit more with my running I suppose it'll stop at my appropriate weight.

Breakfast: Optimum cereal (flax, soy and blueberries) & silk soymilk(unsweet)

Snack: banana

Lunch: went to "Moes" You can watch them make your burritos, and it was Moe's Monday which means the whole meal costs 5 bucks. It comes with chips, I only eat a few, and a drink. I like their burritos they put on black beans, lettuce, tomato, rice, tofu, guacamole, black olives, and salsa, and it's huge, enough for my dinner too.

Not too much to mention today. I walked to the gym after work, and then ran with a few people. The trainer that's been helping me had 2 more women join us. I was worried I would be the slowest person running, but I actually stayed in the front most of the time. This is probably because the others were talking, but still it felt good to be running faster than everyone else. Then I finished my other 2 miles by myself.

Wednesday: Body Pump class: for some reason today I was quite exhausted at the end of the workout, and usually I'm the opposite. I think it may be the extra sugar I've been consuming lately. I haven't gotten paid yet, I get a monthly check, and if I buy agave,or stevia my brother uses it all. And since this stuff isn't exactly cheap I've just been using raw vegan sugar. And that along with my luna/clif bars is giving my system more sugar that it's used to. So basically I think I get a quick sugar rush with this extra sugar,and then I crash.

Thursday: Muscle Toning was today and it was a good strong workout, and then I ran for 4 miles.

Friday: rest day

Saturday; Cardio Strength, and Body Pump (new release)

C.S. I went with lighter weights because I wanted to have enough power for Body Pump which uses barbells. For the cardio part we ran around outside border of exercise room, ran forward backwards, shuffled, some running move they call karaoke one foot in front of the other then behinf the other sideways motion. We also also lunges, and sort of did a crawl like movement where we were face up, hips up walkingon hands and feet, then we did a downward dog kind of walk, pure torture but I loved.

Then I took a break, had a cup of coffee, and a clif bar, and rested before BP. After the yoga class got out I helped set up some benches, and barbells, and we started the new release. It was a high energy class as we had 4 very enthusiastic trainers in front. I was brave enough to be in the front row, this way I can see myselfin the mirror, and see if I'm doing it the same as the instructors. I can't say this release is exactly harder than the others I've done, but it is different. somethe female instructors I know from other BP classes, and I just went with the weight they used. For the warmup I used 20lbs total, squats 30lbs. This is a lot lighter thnI thought Iduse but usually the squat track has three sets, this time there were four. The chest track was about the same but there was absolutely no break for the whole thing, I went with 10lbs total. Back was 25lbs, and also 4 sets not 3, triceps 20lbs, start on the step with extentions, pullovers, then a weird pullover move that becomes an extention. And then you end sitting up doing tricep extentions holding a 10lb plate. Biceps 10lbs, and no break either, then lunges holding barbell 25lbs, and alternate no weights lunges. My favorite was next shoulders, I'm trying to pinpoint my exact pronlem with overhead presses, and I've spoken to a few of the trainers to find out what they think. I'm pretty flexible, so I'd on't think it's that, possibly just my rom. Anyway I can't remember what we started with now, maybe I'm trying to forget lol. There were overhead presses 15lbs, and front, and lateral raises, then a new move where one arm is in a front raise, and one in a lateral raise, I can'trecall what they were called, they had a funny name anyway. Finished off with some killer ab, and hip exercises. First was a hover, then a side hover, then opposite side I think and some more abs, and stretching. I'm quite tired this evening, and I think I may have forgotten a few things, but this post is already too long.

Todays food intake:

Breakfast: oatmeal w/banana and coffee w/ silk creamer

Snack: (at gym, inbetween classes) clif bar, and tiny cup of cofffee

Lunch: after the gym I was so hungry, that I talked my ride (which happened to be my Mom who is also vegan) into going to the vegan restaurant, where I ate some vegan mac and cheese, and half a vegan philly steak with seitan, and water. I know it wasn't the best choice but it was vegan and it was good too.

Dinner:burrito and some grapes

dessert: a yummy looking cookie from the restaurant

I just have to say I woke up this morning so sore from yesterdays workouts. I absolutely love this feeling!! My back, and shoulders took the brunt of it. Anyway after church I'm going with my family to have brunch/breakfast at "Etho's Vegan Kitchen". This is the first week they're open for breakfast. I heard they will have vegan cinnamon buns, biscuits and gravy, pancakes, and a bunch of other breakfast items which I can eat any of. Boy it seems all I think of anymore is eating, and working out. Hope everyone has a good day!

I ate way too much on Easter. I couldn't help it. Everything at the vegan restaurant sounded so good. Before I say what I eat I'm adding that I took a good portion home for later. I tried biscuits in gravy(supposed to be like sausage gravy), a few pieces of fruit with soy yogurt, homefries, coffee w/ricemilk and natural sweetener, and 2 cinnamon buns. I ended up saving the cinnamon buns for later.

This meal was around 1pm I think. Later at about 4 I finished it, barely. Then around 8pm I had 2 burritos

Mondays meals:

Breakfast:9:30am oatmeal w/banana & coffee w/ silk creamer & raw sugar

(Hopefully this week I will get my paycheck, and buy another sweetener)

Lunch:walked to organic veg/vegan cafe after gym & had a wrap with lots of different beans, tomato, greens in it. Also had a few organic crackers & hummus, drank water

after waiting for my ride that was very late, not her fault, I was getting very tired, and ordered a cup of coffee, and a cookie. I ate about half the cookie, and am going to not eat dessert for a long time now. We'll see how long this lasts lol.

Dinner:7:30pm vegan chik pattie, and some brown rice

dessert: 1/2 cookie, herbal tea

Sunday: Easter holiday YMCA was closed

Monday: went to gym early and did 1/2 hour on the Precor, burned off more than 200 cals. Then did a Muscle Toning class. I am still sore from Saturday, but managed 10lb weights for heavy weight, and 7 lbs for medium. When we got to the the bench press I could tell I'm getting stronger, because I really didn't feel it. I still hate my shoulders by the way! And for some reason I feel sore right under the armpit. I've never felt it there before. I usually feel soreness on the front part of my chest, and in my shoulders, and back. After I was finished at the Y, I walked a couple of blocks to Dandelion Tea, and ate lunch.

Today I walked to the Y after work, and then waited to go running. Tonight I ran with 4 other people, I thought the pace was really fast too, but for the most part kept up. Then when we got back I continued by myself,and ran for another 2.5 miles. So today I ran 4.5 miles, and probably could have gone 5. It feels good to know I'm upping the mileage, even though it's not every week. Next week I've been told that we will do some intervals during our run around the lake, which is about 1 mile, then we run back to the gym which is half a mile.