Jessi's Froggy Bloggy

This will be a quick blog update... I just plugged into fitday everything I could remember eating today and was pleased to see that I met almost all nutrients with 95% or higher of RDA all from natural food source. With the exception of course of Vit D and B-12 which were 0% but I supplement those. And zinc and selenium were low again (abt 50%). I thought I had eaten quite a bit more today but found my calorie intake was approximately the same. Still feeling sniffly and stuffy, but much better overall... I actually had my voice back today for the first time in almost a week

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm sorry to be the one that breaks it to you but you have to up the greens and veggies if you want to keep low cal and still have optimum nutrition. I eat 1000-1800 kcal/day and I'm way over in everything but D and B12 which I fortify with. Zinc can be borderline too some days. Selenium is fixed by eating 1 (yes, one) brazil nut per day.

I'm sorry to be the one that breaks it to you but you have to up the greens and veggies if you want to keep low cal and still have optimum nutrition. I eat 1000-1800 kcal/day and I'm way over in everything but D and B12 which I fortify with. Zinc can be borderline too some days. Selenium is fixed by eating 1 (yes, one) brazil nut per day.

You are right, I definitely need to eat more veggies... I do usually get more leafy greens in a typical day than these reflect, but some days I eat an assortment of colorful veggies and often I don't. Thanks for reminding me about the brazil nuts! A friend told me about that last year but I couldn't remember what nutrient it was that just one provided.

This will be a quick blog update... I just plugged into fitday everything I could remember eating today and was pleased to see that I met almost all nutrients with 95% or higher of RDA all from natural food source. With the exception of course of Vit D and B-12 which were 0% but I supplement those. And zinc and selenium were low again (abt 50%). I thought I had eaten quite a bit more today but found my calorie intake was approximately the same. Still feeling sniffly and stuffy, but much better overall... I actually had my voice back today for the first time in almost a week

I'm glad you're feeling better Jessi

Good to know that you're keeping a daily food log ! Maybe you can give me pointers.

Chlorella is REALLY high in Vit D. I've been taking suggested dosage but only every other day. It gives me good piece of mind during the winter months. Once the summer months come I have no concern with D at all. I'll probably continue with the Chloressence though...it seems to be one of the few supplements that I'm having a hard time giving up. It also registers fairly high in b12 but there is some some controversy over the body's ability to use it as it is a different form. I don't quite understand it yet though. I've been supplementing with B12 sub lingual for approx. 2 months now and a recent blood test revealed that it was just slightly above the lowest value in the normal range. Still acceptable though. I feel like a million bucks, and the rest of my blood numbers were within the mid to high normal range according to the doc, so I'm beginning to think that B12 is just a little over rated. Still important to have some in ya though.

Good on ya for keeping track of everything you eat. I tend to have a hard time doing that.

Thanks Kev! This really helps! So I'm adding brazil nuts for selenium, chlorella for vit D and I discovered pumpkin seeds are high in zinc... so I look forward to seeing what my new numbers are after a day of adding these in to my food intake.

Maybe you can give me pointers.

What?! I look up to your eating habits! I couldn't possibly have any pointers for Tasha!

thanks Jessi.

I just think it's great for you keeping track of everything you eat.

I look up to you

I don't measure ANY of my food. I can't stand it. How do you manage to stay so consistent with that?

I can't stand it either actually! Me and consistent just don't go together in a sentence about food... but I'm trying to change that and hold myself accountable for my inconsistencies.. so that is my goal.

Thanks for frogging my blog Richard!

Yesterdays food log looked pretty good!

I added a b-12 supplement as well as chlorella for the vitamin D. Calories were 1834. I ate a brazil nut for the selenium and added pumpkin seeds to my smoothie for the zinc. Now I need to up that calcium and niacin.

my favorite froggy, second to jessifly..... of course

After I came back from Costa Rica, I wanted one but they're illegal to own.

http://www.mynaturephotos.com/images/Poison-Arrow-Frog.jpg

vitamin k from some green leafys i would imagine? Chlorella has a fair amount of b-12, no? Why so low on the chart...

my favorite froggy, second to jessifly..... of course

Awww

vitamin k from some green leafys i would imagine?

Yes, I ate a lot of raw spinach yesterday

Chlorella has a fair amount of b-12, no? Why so low on the chart...

The chart includes only foods I ate, not supplements (b-12 & chlorella). I think there is a way to add this info into the chart though, I'll have to figure out how.

Yesterday I had a great workout OUTSIDE of the gym routine! I went rock climbing with my new climbing group for a good 3 hours until it got too dark. It was rainy and slick though, very challenging but soooo much fun. I am enjoying that "good kind" of soreness in my arms and shoulders today

I like those charts you had up for your food intake. I've started tracking my food, what program/website do you use?

I am using fitday

Speaking of fitday...

I am having trouble with plugging in green powders (right now I am using up some earth promise I have), it says that the calories are incorrect because the formula for calories/protein/carbs/fiber doesn't calculate.. anyone else run into this?

Great stuff!

How are you Froggy? I'll catch up with you soon.....there was vegan gingerbread on my doorstep when I got back home tonight.....nobody ate it this whole time!!!

Bye Frog!

That's really funny... gingerbread waiting all weekend on your porch, haha!

I am great... my hike yesterday kicked my butt though! It was a tough steep 10+ mile roundtrip (two summits though! yipee! for those familiar with the gorge I did Wind Mtn. then Dog Mtn.)

Sorry for off-food/workout-topic pics everyone! I hope you all don't mind! I'll get to posting food stuffs again soon I hope.

Turns out I used to have a fitday account.. who knew. I gave up on it pretty quickly because I ended up having to type in the nutrient info for almost everything I ate which became a pain. I just signed up for thedailyplate.com which has a much nicer interface and has tons of nutritional info already in its database (Vega supplements and Pro Bars are in there). It acts as sort of a giant wiki since members are constantly contributing to it. You might want to give it a shot if you're still tracking food.

Turns out I used to have a fitday account.. who knew. I gave up on it pretty quickly because I ended up having to type in the nutrient info for almost everything I ate which became a pain. I just signed up for thedailyplate.com which has a much nicer interface and has tons of nutritional info already in its database (Vega supplements and Pro Bars are in there). It acts as sort of a giant wiki since members are constantly contributing to it. You might want to give it a shot if you're still tracking food.

I like thedailyplate.com much better but you have to pay ($45-$60/year) to track nutrients, minerals, etc. Just a free basic profile only allows calorie count with food tracking