Linus' Blue Blanket corner

This is actually not a bad idea for me to make public my training and such. Especially once I get my bikes here (I'm so excited -- I've actually got the movers planned to move things by March 18th! YAY! I get to ride my single-speed and my Gunnar soon!).

A little info about me and my challenges: I'm a transgendered individual (what the world might view as Female-to-Male transitioning or FTM). It's a long path and not necessarily an easy one but one I've finally decided to do. That said, I've always been active in some form or another and have had some great success with cycling (not just the number of tours but total distance in a year). Because of a move from Canada to the US, I put a lot of my training on hold but I'm now back on track do revving that all up again.

Ok. That all said, here's the stuff from my last workout.

Workout date: February 13th, 2008

Did a switch-up of sets.

Chest Press: am now up to 80lbs.

Dumbfly: easily did 15lbs (12 reps) so will up this next time to 20lbs

Tricep Pull: up to 30lbs

Free weight "boxing": 50 reps at 5lbs each

Barbell shrugs: 25lbs

Lat Pull Up: up to 25lbs

Hammer Curl: up to 15lbs

Standing Quad: up to 130lbs

Standing Calf: up to 130lbs

And 40 min on stationary bike. Heart rate settles to about 140-150, down from 165 a few weeks ago.

I haven't been back since Wednesday due to a nasty chest infection that has me coughing hard and coughing up phlegm. I believe, however, I should be back in the gym tomorrow or Tues.

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Are you taking hormones for the transition? In that case, what are your doctor saying about you being vegan? Just curious.

I haven't yet gone for the therapy needed to get diagnosed as having DSM IV (yes, for what is natural to me I have to be declared as having a mental disease -- go figure). I don't think my diet would say but I will be adamant about using non-animal based hormones. I know quite a few FTMs who use green alternative herbal methods. It's slower (hair growth and voice depth in particular) but they find it less stressful on their body.

Tis a failure today. No training because the coughing fits came back with such a force that my whole body hurts. I took some DayQuil today and am hoping that it will surpress the cough enough for me to recover and be able to go tomorrow. I hate when I get started and this stops. I haven't been sick in two years and now this, right when I got going.

• 2 weeks later...

Well, after a week of being ill and then a week of a beta teach (meant 18 hour days), I'm finally about to go back home and will be back at the gym tomorrow. I'm so happy about getting my bikes finally in March! YAY! Touring season starting soon.

I'm hoping to get my new machine at the end of the month too...it'll be a great spring for vegan cycling

Indeedy. I'm going to have to plan some snacks I can take with me on my longer training rides (besides the ubiquitous banana).

i tried to look up your blog on msmittens.com. it didn't work.

how long are your touring trips? I really want to get into touring. I bought a koga miyata and ortlieb panniers to do such but haven't made it out too far yet.

I would like to change that. I really want to cycle across the country. If you're interested in a partner, i would love to jojn up with you and gain some quality experience. I pretty much have all of the equipment already and you live very close to me, a major plus.

let me know...

i would like to go to pasaden to visit potter when it gets warmer. I'd also like to travel around ny state, it's supposed to be beautiful. Pretty much game for whatever.

Cool to see someone here who has toured!

i tried to look up your blog on msmittens.com. it didn't work.

how long are your touring trips? I really want to get into touring. I bought a koga miyata and ortlieb panniers to do such but haven't made it out too far yet.

I would like to change that. I really want to cycle across the country. If you're interested in a partner, i would love to jojn up with you and gain some quality experience. I pretty much have all of the equipment already and you live very close to me, a major plus.

let me know...

i would like to go to pasaden to visit potter when it gets warmer. I'd also like to travel around ny state, it's supposed to be beautiful. Pretty much game for whatever.

Cool to see someone here who has toured!

Here's a link: http://www.msmittens.com/index.php?/categories/4-Bike-Trips

Most of my tours vary from a couple of days to a couple of weeks. My longest was through New Brunswick and Nova Scotia. I also have Ortleib bags. The best touring advice: get to the point during your training where riding for 4-6 hours is nothing. Makes it a lot easier in the long run.

Sigh.

No trip to the gym today or in the next couple of days. See below:

I can't believe I'm doing this but today I'm booking an appointment to say goodbye to my first companion animal, Mittens (her appointment is on Tuesday). After 15 years of life, she developed cancer of the mouth. It's gotten so bad recently that she's not eating, not grooming and blood is coming out of her mouth. This has been the hardest decision I've ever had to do because sometimes one wonders whether it's time. I do know it is because well, she's not happy no matter how much she tries. It always amazes me as to how much animal companions give to us without asking much in return -- and give it totally without judgement or much complaining.

But as hard as this decision is, I know it is the right decision for her. So I say goodbye to the kitten who was given to me to help me deal with my mom's murder and ask nothing more of me than to be loved. Good bye, little mittens.

Well, we said goodbye yesterday. See below:

You can see the original of this post with pictures here

Well, we're back and Mittens is now out of her suffering. Forever a character to the end, she spent part of this morning playing with the water in the toilet. I never knew why she was so fascinated by it but she did like to paw at it and make little waves. It went quick once they did inject her. Someone had said that I would be glad I did it now and that I would probably have feelings of regret for not doing it sooner. And they were right. The vet weighed her and she had lost 2lbs in the last month! (keep in mind she was about 10-10.5lbs during her last visit, which was at the end of Jan/beginning of Feb).

But I don't want this to be a sad post. For many of you who never met her, I want to tell about how this amazing kitten impacted my life. She was given to me around September/October, 1992 -- a few months after my mom's murder. I was teetering on the edge of full blown depression and here I had this little bundle of furr in my arms, purring madly, looking at me. The first night I put her beside me on my pillow and for the next 15 years, she pretty much remained there. Mittens was kind and gentle but also playful and inquisitive. Here are some of my memories of her:

When I lived with my dad I would take Robbie, the family corgie, out for walks. And who would follow us through the park and into the woods but Mittens.

I remember coming home one day and seeing Mittens with another cat (almost a duplicate of mittens but larger). They had caught a bird, a feat for Mittens since she was declawed in her front paws.

I remember walking home from the vets after Mittens had been groomed. She had a pink ribbon around her neck and insisted on following me rather than being carried. We walked down the whole street (it was a quiet street in Mississauga) until we got home.

I remember a big winter storm in Mississauga that dumped about 2-3 feet of snow and see just a little black tip as Mittens played in the fluffy stuff.

I remember Mittens playing tag with Robbie and knowing where every carpet was so that Robbie slid into the walls while she turned on a dime.

I remember having my first apartment and Mittens catching about 9 mice one night! Claws or no claws, she was an expert mouser.

Mittens always tried to convince the birds they should play with her. She would attempt this by "chirping" at them.

Mittens always looked for a lap because she knew if she found one she'd also likely find some petting and would purr loudly for it. She was also talkative, "answering" questions posed of her.

She knew how to find little cubby holes to hide from the youngins' when they got out of hand but loved a good piece of string or a fake mouse at any time.

She aptly got her name when she hid in a bunch of mittens to get away from Robbie. There were times I would open a drawer and find a furry kitten head pop out. She had this ability to climb up the back of the dresser and sleep in my clothes. To this day I do not have a piece of clothing that is not covered by black fur from her sleeping on it.

Goodbye, my little Mittens. I will miss you but I am ever so grateful and thankful that I had you in my life for the last 15 years.

You can see a video of Mittens here

Today, I'm going to go to the gym. The best thing to fight off any depression is exercise. And I do need to get back into form since my bicycles are coming in a few weeks.

YAY! I'm so happy I was able to get back into the gym today. I also had to pay my dues (I was a bit late due to travel, illness and yesterday -- t'is all good now).

I did get in a solid 45 min workout along with a 30 min cardio session. It feels sooo good to be back in the gym. And I'm rather excited that the move date was moved up to March 16th, so I'll get my bikes earlier! Another w00t reason!

Anyways, even with all that happened yesterday today is good..

Well, yesterday, I did make it to the gym. I got in 30 minutes of cardio (stationary recline bike) and a good 45 minutes of free weights and weight machines. It feels so good to be back in the gym and back into a regular rhythm of things. I am finally seeing success. As I note in my main blog, I was at 208lbs as of Jan 1, 2008. I actually got up to 210-212lb sometime in January. Today, I'm at 202lbs so it's starting to come off. I'm working at keeping soft drinks and other processed foods out of my diet as I think that's my biggest factor and downfall.

We're still coping with life without Mittens. There are times when this is hard. Other times, it's rather poignantly obvious that life continues without the gentlest of kittehs. I do want to thank all those that opened their hearts to us. I still have to figure out how to help Bobcat deal with this. She grew up with Mittens for her entire life (13 years) and she's starting to show some signs of being affected by it. A friend suggested getting some Star of Bethlehem to help but I haven't been able to find any in the nearby organic store. In the meantime, I've been spending a lot of time with Bobcat to help her adjust some more.

Tonight I was going to make a vegan cheesecake but couldn't find the necessary tofu for it. I may try it tomorrow or have an alternative version, blueberry flavoured firm silken tofu and some fresh blueberrys and just make it as a blueberry cheesecake. So instead I'm going to make a warm spinach salad (with walnuts and red peppers) and a bok choy with green beans and almonds stir fry.

Did a nice 45 min free weights and weight machine workout. It was great and I really felt my tris and bis being stretched.

I also did a 30 minute session on the bike and was able to maintain my heart rate pretty good to 145.

• 2 weeks later...

Got my workout in on Saturday and felt really good afterwards. I hit B&N to get some map books and cycling books about the NYC and NY state areas. Yesterday the movers came and I'm happy that nothing was broken except for a speedometer on my single speed (easily replaced) and a single Coca Cola glass (I can get a new one if I really want one). I spent a good 8 hours unpacking, organizing and such. So that was yesterday's workout. I'll drop the bikes off tomorrow for a full overhaul as they've been sitting in storage for a while.

I have to do some work this week but I'm hoping to be on one of the bikes by this weekend.

*GRRRRRR**

I wanted to take my bikes in for a tune-up after their ordeal of being in storage and such for the last 6 months only to discover my single-speed's Rock Shox are broken! And I mean clean through! Granted they were over 10 years old and I was going to replace them because the parts are no longer available I thought I could go the summer without doing that. Now I'm forced to do it.

Why can't people be more respectful of other's stuff?? I am grateful that the other bike, my custom made Gunnar, wasn't damaged but still.

Well, the bikes are in the shop. The shop had a used fork that might be useable on my single speed for $45. Given the age and purpose of the bike (city riding during winter and summer months for training -- heavier is better for me -- and general usage). I also setup my small weights here and did about 30 minutes of upper body free weight exercises. Nothing fancy but something to keep things going. I'm hopeful that they might have the single speed ready by later today or tomorrow.

Welp, I got the bikes back this morning and then went out for my first ride in **9 MONTHS**. I did about 2 hours of mini-hills in Forest Park and biked along Queens Boulevard. I got no hassles from any cars so that was good and it'll only take about 10-15 min to bike each way to the gym so that's an added plus. Since the gym doesn't open until 8am, I'm going to bike around for an hour and a half or thereabouts before doing my weight training at the gym. Then I can do another hour or so afterwards. Obviously this will be on weeks that I'm not on the road (out of town) or teaching online. Although with the online course it'll be easier to go to the gym after I finish teaching for the day.

I'm so excited and happy now.

I know. I feel like a kid again.

I had my maps and map book out last night so I could try and figure out where to go this morning. Only to realize that I have to be somewhere early this morning so no ride this morning. I'll try for later today. If not, definitely tomorrow morning since I'm not teaching this week.

Well, I got a nice 3 hours in today. For some reason the traffic is light on the streets today but that's good. I came back hungry (tummy grumbling) and realized I have no oatmeal. I'm gonna have to get some so I can make a quick filler with a snack of apples and/or bananas.

Feels so good to be on the road again.

Well, I figured a faster (and probably safer) route to the gym today via bike. And got in a nice 40 minutes of weight training. I also did about an hour and a half of riding (all riding for now is on my single speed which is killer on hills!).

Tomorrow, I'm going to do a 25 mile loop that I found on MapMyRide Hopefully it'll warm up earlier than later.

That map route I found on MapMyRide was ok but it didn't include the warning that the Queens Botanical Gardens don't allow cyclists . I had to find a detour (took Main Street to Roosevelt and then went over the Roosevelt Bridge to 114th and then onwards to 65th down to Queens Blvd). It was a mere 21miles/34km. Less than what I usually use to train but since it was getting more and more busier and since I was starting to experience hypothermia, I figured it was time to get home.

I'm not a body builder per say but more of an endurance athlete. I'm in Jersey for the week starting tomorrow so I'll be limited to weight training for the week. That's ok. I may just use a stationary bike for a bit to keep the ol' heart rate up. It's going to be interesting. I may have to bring some food or venture out via cab for one night to a nearby mall and see what things I can bring back to the hotel. I hate when the hotel is in the middle of frick of nowhere.

I'm so happy I'm going home tomorrow. I'm making sure that when I go to Irvine, CA in a couple of weeks that they have free weights in their gym. This hotel's "world class gym" is just cardio machines (all treadmills and I'm not a runner). I have been walking to and from the education center I've been teaching at so that's been good. And I have been trying to use local stuff to do some basic stuff. Even a few pushups and situps here and there.

I am off for the next week and will be heading to the gym on Sunday after riding down to the beach and back again (probably around a 25-30 mile ride). At least I'll have some consistency and that's the most critical thing for me. I want to get back to my 2005 form (when I biked 5,500 miles/9,300 KM). I have a trip from NYC to Toronto to Montreal and back to NYC planned for the end of August. I still need to get a tent for that one and need to plan the route out some more but I do think it's doable. Maybe when I finish that trip I'll get enough courage to post my before and after (if I have a before and after).

And I'm hoping by then I'll be on my way to transitioning so that will help my definition. That path will be just as long as my endurance goals.

Anyways, a quick update although nothing too exciting. [/img]