Max strength, strength endurance, WTF and raw food

Whoops...just noticed this so I'll be outta here for the most part. Thing is it doesn't matter what level you're at. Cardio is cardio...it has a specific definition. Cardio in itself is an exercise done for an extended period of time...plain and simple...not much too it. Heart rate is relative to everyone and 60% of my heart rate is much different in terms of performance than someone elses 60% but that 60% is the key no matter who you are. These zones are what determines what your body is burning and whats doing all the work...your heart or your muscles.

And I just noticed this.

I don't know what you're still trying to get at. Since I'm not able to go as long as you can I'm not doing cardio??? Google aerobics if you don't know what it refers to.

Definition of Aerobics:

Using the same large muscle group, rhythmically, for a period of 15 to 20 minutes or longer while maintaining 60-80% of your maximum heart rate.

Many types of exercise are aerobic, and by definition are performed at moderate levels of intensity for extended periods of time. Aerobic exercise involves a warming up period at 50-60% of maximum heart rate, followed by at least 20 minutes of exercise at an intensity of 70-80% of maximum heart rate and a cooling down period at an intensity of 50-60% of maximum heart rate.

The American College of Sports Medicine (ACSM) defines aerobic exercise as "any activity that uses large muscle groups, can be maintained continuously, and is rhythmic in nature." It is a type of exercise that overloads the heart and lungs and causes them to work harder than at rest.

Aerobic exercise is any extended activity that makes you breathe hard while using the large muscle groups at a regular, even pace.

You insistance that I don't know what I'm doing is rude and irritating.

So I did my upper body using my new bench in as many ways as possible. I didn't have any scheme in mind when I went at it, I was just eager to hit the weights again.

Incline Bench BB Press

3 x 75 lbs x 12

Incline Bench DB Bicep Curl

3 x 19 lbs x 12

Incline Bench Leaning DB Lateral Raises

3 x 14 lbs x 12

Incline Bench DB Rows (I admit, lame exercise, I just wanted to use my bench for my rear delts, my weak little rear delts)

3 x 25 lbs x 12

Lat-Pulldowns

3 x 80 lbs x 12

Those are for aerobic exercises...true cardio/fat burning is different. 70-80% of your max heart rate is way too high to hold for extended periods of time. Cardio/fat burning is done at a much lower heart rate and its relative to the person. So long as you have enough fuel in the tank...everyone can maintain a 60% of max HR for over an hour. Thats why heart rate is universal. I could hold the same 60% of my max HR for three hours when I was 300lbs as I can now. Only now I'm going much faster...but really the effort is the same.

But I'm not doing it for fat burning, I'm doing it for my heart and mostly for my poor gasping lungs. I had no idea there was "true cardio" because I've never seen a source with such a limited definition as yours, but I'll just refer to it as aerobics now.

The heart is a difficult thing to train and it takes time. If you aren't working your heart for extended periods of time you're working your muscles more than your heart...nothings wrong with that at all...I spent years not working my heart doing different sports.

I wonder if there's a way you could incorporate some sport-specific training for that competition. I've heard stories about boxers for example doing tons of running but getting worn out by the end of the first round, because they weren't training for their specific type of activity. Maybe you should train for a fast short-distance run and/or incorporate interval training into your cardio (as much as cardio sucks).

I think it's great that you're doing pull-ups. It looks like that course will require a lot of upper body pulling strength. I wonder if you might try some stuff like hanging from the bar with one arm and switching from a right/left hand grip. Maybe you could work up to one-arm pullups . It would be very cool if you have access to some sort of rock climbing wall. If not, maybe t-bar rows or one-handed rows (which I think you're already doing) could help.

I have an idea for the bench portion of the competition. It may not work for you, but here goes:

Monday: Do one BP set to training failure (keep a few in the bag, Comrade ) at 60% of your body weight. Each week, try to increase the number of reps until you hit 50.

Thursday: Pick a weight you can lift easily for 50 reps. Each week, try to increase the weight.

Ideally, that would train your ability to lift the needed weight (Mon) for the needed number of reps (Thur).

Congrats on your continuing progress! I hope you don't mind the long post .

Mike