My thoughts on training

Daywalker, what are your thoughts on warming up before an exercise?

I find if I do a warm-up set I have less than maximum left for the exercise set, but if I don't do a warm-up set I am more likely to hurt myself. Seems like a catch-22, so I go with the warm-up set because I don't want an injury. Lately I've been doing passive warm-up if Tiger Balm, but I was wondering what you have found to work best.

Aaron, Christian, thanks for the feedback

Nobbi,

don't make things so complicate. You're a control freak, let go

Just work out consistently and eat healthy. Write a log and analyze you're progress, experiment.

Daniel,

A good warm-up is extremely important. Not only for preventing injuries, also for maximum performance.

I go for a general warm up (some cardio for 5-20minutes, usually 10, depending on temperature and my mood) and then specific warm up.

I need a lot of warm up sets, the more sets the higher my weights are going to be. Don't wear yourself out on the warm up, though. It depends on what weights you're using.

Example:

I want to do 2 sets for 5 reps with 100kg. Then i'd go (after cycling for 10min) for 20kg (=the empty bar) x40reps, 40kgx20, 60kgx15, 80kgx8. These sets are not exhausting, but prepare me for the heavy weight. I go after how i feel, sometimes i go up 20, 50, 80kg, sometimes i do 2 sets with 60. Between the warm-up sets i stretch the worked area carefully.

If i could bench 200kg, i'd probably go something like 20kgx40, 60kgx20, 100kgx12, 140kgx8, 180kgx3, 200kg x5, 5 (just dreaming here )

If you're bench max on the other hand is 40kg, you don't need 4 warm up sets. Do one with the empty bar, then 2 working sets and it's fine.

I do more warm-up sets for the first exercise for every bodypart than for following, but i do always at least one.

A warm-up set should never be so heavy that it impairs your work sets. Do many reps with very light weight, and only a few with medium weight.

I don't know how fit you are, but maybe not fit enough, when the warm-up exhausts you? However, don't skip warm-up! It's an important part of your workout and if it's exhausting, it will only contribute to your fitness!

Tiger Balm and similar stuff cannot replace a proper warm-up, it can only add to it.

Hey Daywalker, I have just started my training, I am pretty feeble, starting of with 5lb weights and 13lb bar for the power clean, I was going to wait until Wednesday to do my next work out.

I do whole body but it only takes me about 45 minutes.

Do you think I should work out every day?.

I have a book called "good girls do dumbells" and I am taking the two day workout and making it a one day.

What do you think?

Thanks

Karen

Hey big boy, you're welcome

I hope you found some useful ideas here

Hi Brit.

Do you think I should work out every day?.

No, for this reason:

I have just started my training,

Get used to the weights and the movements first. 3 times per week consistently is well enough!

You will see improvement anyway, and your joints/tendons don't adapt as fast as your muscles. Everyday workout is for advanced tainees.

I am pretty feeble, starting of with 5lb weights and 13lb bar for the power clean, I was going to wait until Wednesday to do my next work out. I do whole body but it only takes me about 45 minutes.

45 minutes is okay. Do you do a warm-up set for each exercise?

How often you work out depends on the intensity and the volume (number of sets and total workout time) of each workout. Even if it feels it's not enough, stay with 45 minutes for a few weeks and see if you improve your strength. If yes, everything is good If not, change something

I have a book called "good girls do dumbells" and I am taking the two day workout and making it a one day.

What do you think?

?

I don't know the book and the workouts. But if you can do both as a whole body workout in 45 minutes, i guess it's okay